COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Futurama: Volume 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Blob (Blu-ray)
$19.99
WWE: Best Pay-Per-View Matches 2011 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
Stoker (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$15.98
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Monsieur Verdoux (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-27-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
Special Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom
Default Straw Dogs (Peckinpah) announced by MGM

Straw Dogs Blu-ray

Straw Dogs Blu-ray Review

MGM has announced a BD release of Peckinpah's Straw Dogs in Canada, but there seems to be no word on a US release. Does anyone have a clue why they would release it only in Canada - or do you think can we expect a US announcement shortly? I'm a bit confused by this.
Panasonic Blu-ray players BD65 (UK model), BD75 (Multi-region US model), Panasonic EX77 recorder, Denon 3808 receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 TV, 5.1 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds), SVS SB12-Plus (sub)

Last edited by Deciazulado; 09-07-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2010
Rockford, IL

It's probably coming in the US as well. The remake opens September 16, so that Canadian release is obviously timed to cash in on it. I would assume the US release will be the same.
The Official Movie Money/Movie Cash/Free Ticket Thread - first post always updated with all current promotions!

Don't use your UV/digital copy codes? Send them my way! I'll give them a good home!
:)
Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #3

Jan 2010

The MGM releases of The Secret of NIMH and All Dogs Go to Heaven were annouced in Canada first before the US annoucement (came out on the same day in both countries).
Old 07-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

a great, lesser known film. think i have to have it.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, Joe Dirt, the Conformist, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
Special Member

Jan 2011

Just a heads up that this is also due for an Oct. 10 release by Freemantle in the UK. Peckinpah fans may want to hold out and see what that version brings to the table, because while the U.S. MGM dvd was barebones, the UK Freemantle dvd had a slew of exclusive extras that rivaled/beat the excellent Criterion disc (Two audio commentaries, isolated score, etc). Hopefully all of those extras will be ported.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

its out in the US in a month
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6976
Old 08-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
Banned

Mar 2011

Cover art:

Old 08-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Power Member

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosto View Post
Cover art:

Considering how bad cover art usually is these days, this isn't too bad. The original poster with close-up pic of Hoffman (broken glasses) was awsome. If I remember correctly, Premiere magazine voted it best poster of the last 40 yrs.

And when are we going to get extras announced for this title? This blu comes out in a month.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:06 AM   #9
Power Member

Jun 2011

I'm hoping that since the list price is $24.99, we will be getting some extras.

MGM catalog titles usually seem to have a list price of $19.99 (unless they go all out like Platoon, Fiddler On The Roof, or Dances With Wolves).
Old 08-06-2011, 03:24 AM   #10
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggyBear73 View Post
Considering how bad cover art usually is these days, this isn't too bad. The original poster with close-up pic of Hoffman (broken glasses) was awsome. If I remember correctly, Premiere magazine voted it best poster of the last 40 yrs.

And when are we going to get extras announced for this title? This blu comes out in a month.
I agree HuggyBear, this is actually a pretty decent cover. Maybe the head should have been a bit smaller
Old 08-06-2011, 03:32 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

preordered. cant wait for this. September is going to be an amazing (expensive) month.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:56 AM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Dustin Hoffman is badass in this film, the rest of the cast is great too!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:23 AM   #13
Power Member

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdot View Post
preordered. cant wait for this. September is going to be an amazing (expensive) month.
Yeah, SEPT and OCT are going to be the two most expensive months for me since I've been collecting blu-rays (since last Xmas). Not to mention some dvds on that list too.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggyBear73 View Post

Compared to some of the awful covers we've seen, it indeed isn't as bad. Still, the original poster art was iconic enough to be replicated for the (shudder) remake, so it would be nice to have the same art for the BD, and not what seems to be the cover for a Dustin Hoffman western.
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
Expert Member

Aug 2009

While it just doesn't hold a candle to the original key art... yeah, it's not even half as bad as most of the ugly art we get these days. But whatever, this is one of those few films they could sell in a paper bag with the title scribbled in crayon and I'd still buy it.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Atlanta, GA

I fully expect the transfer of this film to look awful since MGM is handling it.
Chronic Post Editor: If this post is fewer than five minutes old, then I am probably still revising it.

Noob Audiophile: MusicBee > HRT Music Streamer II+ > Matrix M-Stage (2x OPA602BP) > AKG Q701
My Music
Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #17

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post
While it just doesn't hold a candle to the original key art... yeah, it's not even half as bad as most of the ugly art we get these days. But whatever, this is one of those few films they could sell in a paper bag with the title scribbled in crayon and I'd still buy it.
I'm actually waiting for someone in this forum to come up with a custom-made cover that has the original Straw Dogs poster (the one where Dustin Hoffman's glasses are shattered).
Old 08-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #18
Special Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky61 View Post
I fully expect the transfer of this film to look awful since MGM is handling it.
Unfounded fear. MGM are one of the better majors when it comes to catalog titles.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New Hampshire

Quote:
Agreed, unfortunately. Seeing as how I lost my DVD of Straw Dogs awhile ago, this Blu-ray will be mine, in the end.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
Special Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekak229 View Post
Agreed, unfortunately. Seeing as how I lost my DVD of Straw Dogs awhile ago, this Blu-ray will be mine, in the end.
I implore thee - expound upon thine apprehensions. MGM's recent catalog titles have for the most part been marvelous. AVC encodes with healthy bitrates, lack of overzealous digital tinkering, and no skimping on lossless audio have been their M.O. for some time now. I really don't get it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America