Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.54

War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$16.99
13 hrs ago
Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.95

Storks 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
Independence Day: Resurgence 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.51

Thunder and the House of Magic (Blu-ray)
$8.47

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$34.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 07-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
Unhappy Ghosting / Crosstalk / Double images

for example Piranha had ghosting in the theater. So does the 3D blu ray. But it is not severe at all it is only some places.
Almost every title i own have minimal ghosting does the 3D movies also have that in the theater

I also seen the reviews and it seems like the reviewers also experience ghosting on almost all titles.

One title in particular really has severe ghosting it is almost unwatchable in 3D because of it. It is My Bloody Valentine. It is so bad. Did this movie also have that much in theater like there is on the 3D blu ray

Last edited by mredman; 07-27-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #2

Mar 2011
Texas

I haven't seen Piranha, but I've seen almost every other 3D theatrical release and there has been very little crosstalk, the only time I've noticed it was in Kung Fu Panda 2 near the beginning of the movie. If I recall it was a scene with flaming torches at night and the torch light had some crosstalk going on. But it was very minor, and that's the only time I've ever noticed it at the theater.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Default "Ghosting" Or Double image. Is this also an issue at the theater as much?

Ghosting i.e. crosstalk/double image is a filtering display limitation. In the theater and on Blu-ray 3D, the 3D video source usually is flawless in that both the left and right image data will have no crosstalk contamination. Both left and right images usually contain separate pristine 2D images.

Ghosting in the theater and on many (not all) home displays where polarized glasses or active shutter glasses are used, the "ghosting" will come from the limitations of the filter source that blocks the light of the intended image not to be seen. Usually only extreme areas in the picture where brightly lit sections on very dark or black backgrounds will defeat the intended result.

Systems that use a designated display for independent separated viewing for the left and right eye definitely verify that ghosting is usually not in the source. There are exceptions from filming techniques and equipment that can contaminate the image source or experimental conversion processes.

Paul
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

Last edited by Paul H; 07-28-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Its weird there is more ghosting on 3D blu ray. How come they can't fix it so there would be no ghosting at all.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #5

Nov 2009
FL

Yeah, I've noticed at least a little ghosting on a lot of the 3d blus I have. Even games like Uncharted 3 and the demo for Motorstorm Apocalypse. I definitely recommend Stardust HD on the ps3. The 3d in that game is flawless and absolutely adds to the experience. I can't even play that game in 2d anymore.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
Its weird there is more ghosting on 3D blu ray. How come they can't fix it so there would be no ghosting at all.
3D blu-ray's are not the problem when ghosting is concerned.

Ghosting is caused by the limitations of the current 3D display's, the current capability of the filter devices and 3D Film/video sources with ghosting present.
Improvements and upgrades to displays and filters are being made all the time.

In the future you will be able to see a pristine 3D movie if authored from a pristine 3D film/video source, at home, using todays 3D blu-rays, and the 3D won't create any ghosting that isn't inherently already on the discs.
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #7

Jun 2011
IL
Default Ghosting / crosstalk - here's a thought....

If you deal with ghosting/crosstalk somewhat frequently on 3d blurays:

1) It's amazing how you can still enjoy/appreciate 3d at all. I sure as hell wouldn't. It should be unacceptable. I have 38ish 3d blus and most everything worth owning in the 3d category, spent only $900 on my tv (and use a ps3), and I don't deal with it, ever.

(2) Being unacceptable as it is, you might want to seriously consider selling your gear while it can still fetch a decent price.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
[Vizio 47" Theater 3D] MY 3DBRs(47): Tangled, Despicable.., Coraline, HowToTrain.., IceAge:Dawn, Gnomeo, Saw7, Bolt, Cloudy.., OpenSeason, Megamind, Shrek 1-4, Alice in.., Rio, A Christmas.., Monsters Vs.., Thor, MarsNeeds.., LionKing, Beauty&.., NightmareBefore.., Pirates4, Cars2, CaptainAm.., Toy Story 1-3, PolarEx.., KungFuPanda1&2, Grand Canyon, MonsterHouse, IMAX Hubble, Transformers3, PussIn.., Tron:Legacy, Hugo, MTRobinsons, HappyFeet2, Titanic, BornToBe.., Avengers, Madagascar3, Avatar
Old 03-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

This is pretty subjective...

Does it happen? Yes...A lot? Not so much. Is it worth my time getting upset?

Nope...

I enjoy 3D content for what it is. It's still early tech so it still needs time to iron out the kinks...

Congrats in spending that much on a set? I don't really see what you're getting at...
JVC DLA-RS55 4K Shift Projector, 100" EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen
*New unfinished basement is currently under construction* The new build thread!
64" Samsung PN64D8000 3D Plasma, Samsung BD-D5500 3D Bluray player
Main Floor: Samsung UN55D7000 LED 3DTV, Samsung BD-D5500
Beadroom: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D Plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Bluray player
Final Fantasy Black Cloud 160GB J-PS3, Xbox 360 Elite
Old 03-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #9

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobaby1979 View Post

1) It's amazing how you can still enjoy/appreciate 3d at all. I sure as hell wouldn't. It should be unacceptable. I have 38ish 3d blus and most everything worth owning in the 3d category, spent only $900 on my tv (and use a ps3), and I don't deal with it, ever.

(2) Being unacceptable as it is, you might want to seriously consider selling your gear while it can still fetch a decent price.

I don't see what you are getting at!? :/
Old 03-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Ghosting is slightly distracting, but in no way a deal breaker for me.

I have a passive 3D TV, so on most 3D movies, there's no ghosting (triple image of 3D object, 2 ghosts along the sides, visible only because the 3D glasses don't COMPLETELY block out ALL light from the blackout eye).

The stronger the 3D, the more chances you will get for ghosting when there are strong contrasts in color/tone, such as a bright white star in black outer space. If the Star is 3D enough, you'll see hints of it, one on each side. If the 3D is subtle, you'll barely see it.

It all comes down to the glasses ability to block out the light and as suggested, IS a limitation of technology, not the 3D itself.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #11

Mar 2008
Leek, Staffordshire

You might want to direct these concerns to Martin Liebman

Seriously though, as others have said it is down to the set up. I have not really experienced it so not a big deal
MIA on blu: Alfie (Original) The Pledge, Local Hero, Goodbye Mr Chips, Christopher Smith's Creep, Dead Birds, Alan Parker's Pink Floyd The Wall
MIA on blu in UK/region free: Human Traffic
Old 03-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Special Member

Jul 2008
SoCal, planet Earth

Quote:

You might be right about selling your 3D tv now to fetch a decent price, since you only paid $900 bucks for it. I've always lived by they saying, "You always get what you pay for" mentality. I've gone the cheap route myself and ended up screwing myself. Believe me, I've learned a lesson about that. About your PS3, you've got a good player there and it supports games as well as 3D formats. I'd keep that one, but probably might be a good idea to sell the $900 clunker and buy a decent 3D TV.

Maybe think about getting the Sony XBR engine for 3D supported playbacks. I own one and it is fantastic. It is a bit pricy, I will grant you that, but I am not sorry that I paid a pretty penny for it. It is well worth the buckolas. Don't get me wrong, I don't work for Sony nor will I try to push a brand name off on someone, but I have owned other brands and ended up going back to Sony.

My brother bought a Sony XBR eng 3D tv, not as large as mine, but he is hysteretic over his tv.

Good luck on getting a decent price for your stuff.
Blu-ray Player/s: Sony BDP-S6200, BDP-S790, BDP-S780, BDP-S770 and BDP-S1
PS3: PlayStation 3 Console 60GB Hard Drive
Audio1 : Pioneer SC-57 (9.2)
Speakers: BOSE Acoustimass 16 Series II
Audio 2: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi / BOSE 3𠂹 Series II DVD Home Entertainment System
Video 1: Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch 3D LCD HDTV
Video 2: Sony KDL50W800B 50-Inch 3D LCD HDTV
Old 03-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #13

Jun 2011
IL

I don't think you read my original post correctly - I'm happy with my set - VERY happy! In fact, you'll be hard pressed to find a passive tv with better ratings online period. This is how you define a steal of a deal. You can't make assumptions about quality when comparing price in either end of the spectrum, high or low.

I would not go with active shutter no matter the brand or recommendations - because I have two friends wth active shutter 3D TVs - one of which is a 55" Sony - and the complaints from them ended up being the same as the things I have read from some on here - that the sweet spot is small, the glasses are annoying, and that ghosting/crosstalk is prevalent in some 3D movies. They were excited about 3D when they got their sets, and now, they think I'm crazy for buying so many 3D movies because they lost interest in it almost entirely.

For those that have active shutter and have no crosstalk/ghosting as well as don't typically 'spread out' much around the tv (my family of 4 sure does!), I bet you're perfectly happy with your set - you should be!! But for those who have lost a good deal of interest in 3D since getting your active shutter sets - seriously consider re-evaluating your purchase and consider passive tech. I was CRAZY about 3D when I first got my set, and the feeling has only grown since then! I feel for anyone who has to endure any level of frustration in order to enjoy 3D at home - we're spending decent money on this stuff and deserve a more flawless execution on the part of the tech.
[Vizio 47" Theater 3D] MY 3DBRs(47): Tangled, Despicable.., Coraline, HowToTrain.., IceAge:Dawn, Gnomeo, Saw7, Bolt, Cloudy.., OpenSeason, Megamind, Shrek 1-4, Alice in.., Rio, A Christmas.., Monsters Vs.., Thor, MarsNeeds.., LionKing, Beauty&.., NightmareBefore.., Pirates4, Cars2, CaptainAm.., Toy Story 1-3, PolarEx.., KungFuPanda1&2, Grand Canyon, MonsterHouse, IMAX Hubble, Transformers3, PussIn.., Tron:Legacy, Hugo, MTRobinsons, HappyFeet2, Titanic, BornToBe.., Avengers, Madagascar3, Avatar
Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
Special Member

Aug 2011

Is no one else getting tired of this passive vs. active tech crap? Just be happy with a set and don't say why "mine is better than yours."
Old 03-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
Special Member

Jul 2008
SoCal, planet Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
Is no one else getting tired of this passive vs. active tech crap? Just be happy with a set and don't say why "mine is better than yours."
You wrong... mine is better than yours!

Just kidding... everyone should be happy with the buying the TV of their choice. I am happy with mine and I don't care what others say... it is me that watches it...
Blu-ray Player/s: Sony BDP-S6200, BDP-S790, BDP-S780, BDP-S770 and BDP-S1
PS3: PlayStation 3 Console 60GB Hard Drive
Audio1 : Pioneer SC-57 (9.2)
Speakers: BOSE Acoustimass 16 Series II
Audio 2: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi / BOSE 3𠂹 Series II DVD Home Entertainment System
Video 1: Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch 3D LCD HDTV
Video 2: Sony KDL50W800B 50-Inch 3D LCD HDTV
Old 03-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #16

Jun 2011
IL

I'm not coming from a place of 'mine is better than yours' - I get no pleasure from that even when it is the case, and I'm not saying that's the case here.

Where I'm coming from is, yes, only an opinion - that to have to deal with those distractions while watching 3D content is simply unacceptable. How is it not? The fact that you may have felt 'stuck' with your purchase doesn't change how unacceptable that is when you know darn good and well that SOME of you bought that specific set because of 3D!?!?

We all HAD certain expectations of 3D before we got our sets. Some of us have had those expectations fulfilled, and some of us have not. And I do feel for those who have not....thus the suggestion/reminder that this stuff drops in value quickly and that you may want to consider selling. I realize that with some of the bickering that goes on here, it's hard to read 'tone' in these posts, but I'm not trying to start a bickering match- I just know what I'd do if I couldn't enjoy 3D without the distractions - I'd chalk it up to a less than ideal purchase and lose a few hundred bucks on the set so that I could proceed to enjoy 3D the way I had hoped I would.

I bought my tv only a year after buying a non-3D 42" that I LOVED- but the thing is, I knew I wanted 3D and would only want it more as time went on...so I sold my 42" and since I hadn't waited eons and eons to do so, I was actually happy with what I got for it! That's ALL I'm sayin...consider a re-purchase if 3D is far from what you expected with your set.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
I don't think you read my original post correctly - I'm happy with my set - VERY happy! In fact, you'll be hard pressed to find a passive tv with better ratings online period. This is how you define a steal of a deal. You can't make assumptions about quality when comparing price in either end of the spectrum, high or low.

I would not go with active shutter no matter the brand or recommendations - because I have two friends wth active shutter 3D TVs - one of which is a 55" Sony - and the complaints from them ended up being the same as the things I have read from some on here - that the sweet spot is small, the glasses are annoying, and that ghosting/crosstalk is prevalent in some 3D movies. They were excited about 3D when they got their sets, and now, they think I'm crazy for buying so many 3D movies because they lost interest in it almost entirely.

For those that have active shutter and have no crosstalk/ghosting as well as don't typically 'spread out' much around the tv (my family of 4 sure does!), I bet you're perfectly happy with your set - you should be!! But for those who have lost a good deal of interest in 3D since getting your active shutter sets - seriously consider re-evaluating your purchase and consider passive tech. I was CRAZY about 3D when I first got my set, and the feeling has only grown since then! I feel for anyone who has to endure any level of frustration in order to enjoy 3D at home - we're spending decent money on this stuff and deserve a more flawless execution on the part of the tech.
Unless it's a plasma, I personally wouldn't buy an active shutter 3dtv either. I used to own a Samsung c8000 active led 3dtv, and it was crap. The crosstalk it would produced was horrible. I decided to do some research, and found that plasma's work far better with active shutter 3d technology, for multiple reasons. So I sold my active 3d lcd/led model, then demoed some 2011 active 3d plasma's in proper showrooms (which mimiced the conditions of how we watch movies at home), and was amazed with how much better I felt the 3d experience is on a plasma. From there it come down to a decision between Panasonic's VT30 or Samsung's PND8000 plasma's (which were reviewed as 2 of the very best 2d/3d tv's of last year). I ended up choosing the D8000 plasma, and I couldn't be happier, it's far better than any lcd/led 3d model IMO. I don't see any crosstalk with it whatsoever, and neither does anyone else.

If you don't like plasma's then I believe you should go with passive, as I think it is the better option for lcd/led tv's, passive just seems to work better with the limitations of LCD technology.

Though like others have said, as long as you are happy with your decision, then that's all that really matters.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (multi-region), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One s & 360 s, Sony PS4 Pro & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony ultimate remote + hub

Last edited by Cevolution; 03-12-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #18

Jan 2012

I use active shutter 3D with my projector and couldn't be happier. I've never seen any evidence of ghosting. The picture has always been great, even when I've been moving around.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #19

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
Unless it's a plasma, I personally wouldn't buy an active shutter 3dtv either. I used to own a Samsung c8000 active led 3dtv, and it was crap. The crosstalk it would produced was horrible. I decided to do some research, and found that plasma's work far better with active shutter 3d technology, for multiple reasons. So I sold my active 3d lcd/led model, then demoed some 2011 active 3d plasma's in proper showrooms (which mimiced the conditions of how we watch movies at home), and was amazed with how much better I felt the 3d experience is on a plasma. From there it come down to a decision between Panasonic's VT30 or Samsung's PND8000 plasma's (which were reviewed as 2 of the very best 2d/3d tv's of last year). I ended up choosing the D8000 plasma, and I couldn't be happier, it's far better than any lcd/led 3d model IMO. I don't see any crosstalk with it whatsoever, and neither does anyone else. If you don't like plasma's then you should go with passive IMO, as I think it is a better option for lcd/led tv's, passive just works better with the limitations of LCD technology.
I
Though like others have said, as long as you are happy with your decision, then that's all that really matters.
Good lord... Cevolution it has finally happened. ... We fanally have the same exact opinion about something.....plasmas or passive is the way to go when it comes to 3D
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100

Last edited by banibale; 03-12-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by banibale View Post
Good lord... Cevolution it has finally happened. ... We fanaly have the same exact opinion about something.....plasmas or passive is the way to go when it comes to 3D
We've agreed on other things before

The difference is though, I don't think passive is the better technology, I just think it's the better technology to use with LCD panels, as the response times of lcd tv's are far too slow to able to keep up with the requirements of active technology (amongst other things), which is a big reason why crosstalk is a huge problem for many active 3d led tv users.

Plasma's, Projectors and DLP's all work really well with active 3d technology, it's only generally lcd/led tv's that don't.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (multi-region), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One s & 360 s, Sony PS4 Pro & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony ultimate remote + hub
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion