COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Inside Job (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
El Mariachi / Desperado (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$13.18
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$15.51
The Bankers of God: The Calvi Affair (Blu-ray)
$17.23
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
George Gently, Series 2 (Blu-ray)
$23.19
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 AM   #321
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
yes and there is also disk that is available what is your point that being open to any format opens doors? that is always true but it also raises costs. If one is paying to rent from Netflix streaming he will need to pay again to buy a UV, right, he does not get that for free. If someone rents/buys a BD, it is easy to bring on a trip (assuming athe person has a portable BD player or laptop with BD), but if the guy has Netflix (or other streaming/ DD rental) it is more or less impossible, on the other hand it is possible with a DL purchase service (like UV or Vudu purchase....) but than the argument of cheap does not apply since you can't bring a rental and usualy purchases are more costly). You can't argue all the sides and each point assuming the ramifications don't exist because you just look foolish, if Netflix is cheap you can't travel with it, if having a UV copy on a device means it is easier to travel, it is not cheap.
I never said there was one "be all/end all" movie viewing standard. I just merely pointed out the advantages to Stream/Digitial Download/Digital Copy/UV...all of which I don't use...at all! But not everyone in the world is me, so that's why we have choices/options.
That was my point.
I think you got confused(or maybe I didn't make it clear enough) when I prefaced my statement saying I'm a Netflix subscriber.
In any event, I'll stick to my original statement, which is(basically): there's a medium nowadays for whatever is your viewing pleasure.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #322
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England
Smile

I agree with anthony.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #323
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Burbank, CA

Guys, I own a few combo packs that include the Ultraviolet Digital Copies. I knew they were digital copies, which could only be watched through streaming via the internet, but I figured there was a way to ask the studio to give you an iTunes version of the Digital Copy. Is this still possible? I'd love to have the digital copy available for my iPod as opposed to streaming a movie I paid for via Internet. That's so stupid. What if I go somewhere and I have no internet access available to me? How would I watch my movie? So can I email their tech support and ask them to give me a code, which I can redeem on iTunes?

Last edited by Thesis; 02-20-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #324
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesis View Post
Guys, I own a few combo packs that include the Ultraviolet Digital Copies. I knew they were digital copies, which could only be watched through streaming via the internet, but I figured there was a way to ask the studio to give you an iTunes version of the Digital Copy. Is this still possible? I'd love to have the digital copy available for my iPod as opposed to streaming a movie I paid for via Internet. That's so stupid. What if I go somewhere and I have no internet access available to me? How would I watch my movie? So can I email their tech support and ask them to give me a code, which I can redeem on iTunes?
my understanding is yes, do a search on flixster (or something like that) and itunes
Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #325
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
I never said there was one "be all/end all" movie viewing standard. I just merely pointed out the advantages to Stream/Digitial Download/Digital Copy/UV...all of which I don't use...at all! But not everyone in the world is me, so that's why we have choices/options.
That was my point.
I think you got confused(or maybe I didn't make it clear enough) when I prefaced my statement saying I'm a Netflix subscriber.
In any event, I'll stick to my original statement, which is(basically): there's a medium nowadays for whatever is your viewing pleasure.
And I did not say that you said there was one standard.

It would be disingenuous if I said the good stuff about physical media is

1) it is free: a friend of my dads sold his home to move into a retirement home and asked me if I wanted his VHS tapes (obviously I did not) and when my youngest sister asked I gave her all my kids VHS tapes since I don't watch them.

2) physical media looks good: it is the only way to have good quality 1080p

3) physical media has the most content: lets face it add VHS, DVD and BD and you pretty much have everything), plus no exclusivity between formats

4) it is most transportable: easy to pack, easy to play on any device and is extremely thin at 1.2mm

you have to compare different formats together, you can't just group it all together and then only pick only the positives (or the negatives) from each format

what would you say if someone said DD does not make sense
1) it is morte expensive (compare UV/Vudu to DVD or BD)
2) it does not travel well (can't stream when there is no internet connection, DL a file takes time if it is not on the device already, can't easily transfer it from one device to another)
3)exclusivity means that they are all missing titles.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #326
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Burbank, CA

Quote:
my understanding is yes, do a search on flixster (or something like that) and itunes
Well, I sent them an email. Hopefully I hear from them. I really do hope I can get iTunes codes in exchange for all the Ultraviolet Digital Copy redemption codes included with my combo packs. Screw Ultraviolet Digital Copies!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #327
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
Home of N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys

Quote:
And I did not say that you said there was one standard.

It would be disingenuous if I said the good stuff about physical media is

1) it is free: a friend of my dads sold his home to move into a retirement home and asked me if I wanted his VHS tapes (obviously I did not) and when my youngest sister asked I gave her all my kids VHS tapes since I don't watch them.

2) physical media looks good: it is the only way to have good quality 1080p

3) physical media has the most content: lets face it add VHS, DVD and BD and you pretty much have everything), plus no exclusivity between formats

4) it is most transportable: easy to pack, easy to play on any device and is extremely thin at 1.2mm

you have to compare different formats together, you can't just group it all together and then only pick only the positives (or the negatives) from each format

what would you say if someone said DD does not make sense
1) it is morte expensive (compare UV/Vudu to DVD or BD)
2) it does not travel well (can't stream when there is no internet connection, DL a file takes time if it is not on the device already, can't easily transfer it from one device to another)
3)exclusivity means that they are all missing titles.
I'm not sure I understand your point.

I don't have a portable BD player or a BD drive in my laptop, and I don't know anyone who does. If I did have either, I'd have to bring discs along on a trip to watch them. With digital copies/digital downloads/ultraviolet/etc., I bring my laptop or iPad and have all of my digital files right there to watch whenever I want. No discs necessary.

You state above that it is "impossible" watch a UV or Netflix stream on the road ... that's not true. If your mobile device has 3G/4G, and/or you have an aircard, you can certainly watch without any problems. Maybe I misunderstood your point.

The point to me is: there is something for everyone. If someone is the type of person that for some reason must only watch BDs, then they can use their laptop or portable BD player (assuming they have one). If someone is content to watch lower-quality video for the sake of convenience, then they can use their laptop or mobile device/iPad to do it with digital copies/streaming.

There's no 1 right answer. It's a matter of personal preference - not "right" or "wrong".
The artist formerly known as O_V_N.

Last edited by Chordata; 02-22-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 AM   #328
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chordata View Post
You state above that it is "impossible" watch a UV or Netflix stream on the road ... that's not true. If your mobile device has 3G/4G, and/or you have an aircard, you can certainly watch without any problems. Maybe I misunderstood your point.
I don't see where I used the word "impossible" in the post you quoted. But you can't use a 3G/4G on a plane while travelling, you can't use it where there is no cell reception and it does not make sense where roaming charges are high so in those cases streaming would not work, but as long as you have a player that can play a disk you can watch a film (be it BD or DVD) in any of those situations.

Quote:
There's no 1 right answer. It's a matter of personal preference - not "right" or "wrong".
agree, but do you know what disingenuous means? I never said people should not use streaming or DL. My post was to demonstrate if someone wants to BS by stacking the deck and looking to push DD or PM they can always go beyond what is reasonable, and that was what rickah88 was doing.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #329
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
Home of N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys

Quote:
I don't see where I used the word "impossible" in the post you quoted. But you can't use a 3G/4G on a plane while travelling, you can't use it where there is no cell reception and it does not make sense where roaming charges are high so in those cases streaming would not work, but as long as you have a player that can play a disk you can watch a film (be it BD or DVD) in any of those situations.
I know you didn't in the post I quoted -- it was in a post you made that was quoted at the top of the page. You said:

"yes and there is also disk that is available what is your point that being open to any format opens doors? that is always true but it also raises costs. If one is paying to rent from Netflix streaming he will need to pay again to buy a UV, right, he does not get that for free. If someone rents/buys a BD, it is easy to bring on a trip (assuming athe person has a portable BD player or laptop with BD), but if the guy has Netflix (or other streaming/ DD rental) it is more or less impossible, on the other hand it is possible with a DL purchase service (like UV or Vudu purchase....) but than the argument of cheap does not apply since you can't bring a rental and usualy purchases are more costly). You can't argue all the sides and each point assuming the ramifications don't exist because you just look foolish, if Netflix is cheap you can't travel with it, if having a UV copy on a device means it is easier to travel, it is not cheap."

Here's a link: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=319.

You're spot-on about the plane -- no streaming there. But if you own the DD and it's stored on your device, that's a non-issue.

Not sure if your "disingenuous" comment was directed to me. If so, I think you're misdirecting it and are for some reason being unnecessarily defensive.
The artist formerly known as O_V_N.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #330
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chordata View Post
I know you didn't in the post I quoted -- it was in a post you made that was quoted at the top of the page. You said:
OK, but why didn’t you just quote the right post?

Quote:
Here's a link: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=319.

You're spot-on about the plane -- no streaming there. But if you own the DD and it's stored on your device, that's a non-issue.

But I said:

if the guy has Netflix (or other streaming/ DD rental) it is more or less impossible, on the other hand it ispossible with a DL purchase service (like UV or Vudu purchase....)

so I have no idea why you needed that “but” part obviously I agree that if you have a copy before the trip you don’t have the same issues. I also did not say impossible on the road which you ascribed to me.

More or less impossible means that there are some exceptions, but let’s be honest, we agree it does not make sense to stream on a plan. It also does not make sense to watch a film while driving and it is completely rude to watch a film while a friend/spouse is driving, so what is left, a trip by train or bus, and even then it does not always make senses since there could be very expensive roaming charges (depending on plan and where you are going).And what happens once you are at your destination? It is easy to put a disk in a player that is hooked to a TV, but most tablets and smartphones don’t have a connector for video out.

Quote:
Not sure if your "disingenuous" comment was directed to me. If so, I think you're misdirecting it and are for some reason being unnecessarily defensive.

Not at all. The post you quoted originally started with

“It would be disingenuous if I said the good stuff about physical media is” and “you can't just group it all together and then only pick only the positives (or the negatives) from each format”

And I thought your comment on impossible had to do with

“2) it does not travel well (can't stream when there is no internet connection, DL a file takes time if it is not on the device already, can't easily transfer it from one device to another)”

Which was only meant to show what Rickah posted earlier was not OK.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #331
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
I never said people should not use streaming or DL. My post was to demonstrate if someone wants to BS by stacking the deck and looking to push DD or PM they can always go beyond what is reasonable, and that was what rickah88 was doing.
Not even close.
I've already stated my points, and continue to stand by them. You disagree, okay. Everything else is just fluff on your part.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #332
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Not even close.
I've already stated my points, and continue to stand by them. You disagree, okay. Everything else is just fluff on your part.
and everything is complete BS on your part, IU would rather read and write fluff that is informative than half-truths meant to mislead people like you post.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #333
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
and everything is complete BS on your part, IU would rather read and write fluff that is informative than half-truths meant to mislead people like you post.
It seems the only person misled was you. Go figure.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #334
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
It seems the only person misled was you. Go figure.
not at all it is just that you are dishonest. No matter what you write
Old 02-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #335
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
not at all it is just that you are dishonest. No matter what you write
Uhm okay, whatever makes you(and you alone) happy.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #336

Jun 2011
kent (uk)
Send a message via Yahoo to blackshadow1981
United Kingdom

OK Ive been sitting here watching this for days now and its getting silly you don't have to agree with each other its a forum we are not all going to agree all the time but we don't have to ***** and fight about it like little girls.... geez guys relax already whatever you think i think we can all agree that films in 1080P HD look fantastic!!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #337
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Saginaw, MI

Urgh! Picked up Justice League Doom today with UV. What a pain, why can't I just get my digital copy via iTunes or Windows Media? Consumers should not have to manage another service and all the crap that comes with it. I don't want Flixter on my iPad!

Are that many people going to bother with the headache of setting up another service? It should be as easy as putting in your code in iTunes and you've got your movie.
Main Gear: Samsung PN60E550 - Region Free Sony BDP-S790 - Xbox 360 Slim 250 - Wii - Onkyo 606 - OTA - Windows Media Center - Logitech Harmony One
Basement Gear: Samsung 46" lcd - Sony BDP-S370 - OTA - Logitech Harmony X-Box
Bedroom Gear: Sony KDL-40Z4100 40" - HTPC
Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #338
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshadow1981 View Post
OK Ive been sitting here watching this for days now and its getting silly you don't have to agree with each other its a forum we are not all going to agree all the time but we don't have to ***** and fight about it like little girls.... geez guys relax already whatever you think i think we can all agree that films in 1080P HD look fantastic!!!!
Only if it is bluray 1080p!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #339
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Burbank, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
Urgh! Picked up Justice League Doom today with UV. What a pain, why can't I just get my digital copy via iTunes or Windows Media? Consumers should not have to manage another service and all the crap that comes with it. I don't want Flixter on my iPad!

Are that many people going to bother with the headache of setting up another service? It should be as easy as putting in your code in iTunes and you've got your movie.
I agree! I tried emailing them and asking if I could exchange my redemption codes for iTunes codes because I want to be able to store these digital copies in my iPod! Tell me why the site is so freakin' confusing... I believe you have to take a ticket in order for them to hear from you. WTF! I received an email from them asking to enter the redemption code for Harry Potter.... It wasn't even the movie I asked the iTunes code for... I don't get it! I don't even think they understand what I'm trying to say when I email them about my iTunes code and I think the email isn't even written by a person... Help?

Last edited by Thesis; 02-29-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #340

Jun 2011
kent (uk)
Send a message via Yahoo to blackshadow1981

if you own the film just download it online simple job done and no UltraViolet BS!

or go ahead and jump thou all the hoops they want you to just so you can play your own media where you want and on what you want be it an ipad or whatever
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology