Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #81
Special Member

Jul 2008

I don't do anything with digital copies today, but this sounds like a much more robust approach to the digital copy pack-in for those who use it.

Someone really ought to contact the author of the article in the OP and have them correct the inaccuracies in the article text.
rotation report (my media consumption)
splatter of light (my creative output)
Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #82
Special Member

Feb 2008
Region B

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV Expert View Post
Also, btw, there is no such thing as an UltraViolet DRM. It doesn't exist.
I thought the fact that you have to register your devices before you are allowed to stream/download content to them, and can only have up to 12 for using Ultraviolet is a type of DRM - it's not like a freely copyable file that you could play on any of your devices without going onto some site to 'manage' which of 12 devices you have the "rights" to view the content on.

Also, doesn't Ultraviolet allow multiple types of copy-protection (and copy protection is mandatory for Ultraviolet) - more than Blu-ray?

Last edited by 4K2K; 08-09-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #83
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K2K View Post
I thought the fact that you have to register your devices before you are allowed to stream/download content to them, and can only have up to 12 for using Ultraviolet is a type of DRM - it's not like a freely copyable file that you could play on any of your devices without going onto some site to 'manage' which of 12 devices you have the "rights" to view the content on.

Also, doesn't Ultraviolet allow multiple types of copy-protection (and copy protection is mandatory for Ultraviolet) - more than Blu-ray?
I think he was perhaps playing a semantics game, because Ultraviolet doesn't have it's own proprietary DRM. Based on the little I've read, it uses off-the-shelf DRM technology that isn't exclusive to Ultraviolet.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #84
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Pro, my concern is the likes of HBO available on streaming. how long until more tv shows and companies do the same and affect bluray sales for tv in general?
The market will be more flexible. At this point, it is unrealistic to expect that any format, not just Blu-ray, is likely to exist in a market environment like the one DVD enjoyed.

I would not worry about digital/UV impacting physical media in a negative way. As I have mentioned elsewhere before, I foresee more and more A-grade content restrictions for the likes of Netflix, etc. At the moment, UV is also marketed as a boost for physical media. I don't believe it will deliver the results the studios expect, but this is the intent behind it.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #85
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Thanks Pro. I am thinking too much of what may happen i know. But i need to know i can still access high quality media years down the road. that is just me!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #86

Jun 2011
kent (uk)
Send a message via Yahoo to blackshadow1981
Thumbs down

if i have to be online so i can watch a film from my disc then forget it!!!! my blu ray player isnt even on the net i use mem stick to update and im not going to buy a $50 doggle or have a cable going round the room just to watch a film that ive already payed for!!!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #87
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshadow1981 View Post
if i have to be online so i can watch a film from my disc then forget it!!!!
You don't. The original article was inaccurate on a number of points. This is detailed in the rest of the thread.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:29 AM   #88

Oct 2010
Swansea, IL

Sound like bs to me
Old 08-13-2011, 02:50 AM   #89
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

From what I've read it doesn't seem like you need to be online to play a physical disc. Rather UltraViolet stores a digital copy which can be used on various UV comaptible devices without needing access to the disc. Maybe we can say goodbye to all of those extra digital copy discs.

Here's another article from HomeMediaMagazine about WB's Green Lantern release:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/war...sc-releases-24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Media Magazine
Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes appears to be warming to Netflix but declined to comment on if a content deal is forthcoming

Warner Bros. will launch its first home entertainment discs to include cloud-based digital locker UltraViolet with the fourth-quarter releases of Green Lantern and Horrible Bosses.

In an Aug. 3 analyst call, Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes said the majority of home entertainment releases thereafter would include UltraViolet functionality. The virtual locker automatically gives buyers a digital copy of a new home entertainment acquisition that can be accessed on myriad compatible consumer electronics devices.

UltraViolet, along with Disney’s KeyChest platform, is projected to reinvigorate home entertainment content sales.

Bewkes believes the recent acquisition of movie recommendation service Flixster will help sell UltraViolet. He said an updated version of the platform this week will be “deeply integrated” with UltraViolet.

“We believe this could fundamentally change how people manage and watch their movie collection,” Bewkes said. “And it could significantly improve the value proposition of digital ownership.”

With Netflix and Amazon making news and fattening media companies’ bottom lines by licensing repurposed content, Warner Bros. Studio is considered the 800-pound gorilla in the digital delivery realm, having thus far limited its exposure to the subscription video-on-demand services.

Bewkes said he is amenable to Netflix’s emphasis on acquiring catalog fare as opposed to new-release movies and next-day TV programming, which he said are more lucrative in traditional distribution windows.

“We had thought that some of the sales we saw content owners make to various digital outlets actually undervalued or reduced the lifetime stream of earnings for those products,” Bewkes said.

The CEO said he believes subscription VOD is a legitimate business model to monetize deep library content that consumers previously had difficulty accessing.

“It may be filling a really functional thing for consumers, particularly in the case of serialized shows, which don’t traditionally play well on traditional nets or syndication,” Bewkes said.

The studio Aug. 3 reported second-quarter (ended June 30) revenue of $2.8 billion, up 13% from revenue of $2.4 billion during the previous-year period.

Warner Bros., which includes Warner Home Video, said revenue growth was led by video game sales, due to the releases of Mortal Kombat 9 and LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game, as well as a 21% increase in home entertainment revenue driven by the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 1 — the No. 1 home entertainment release.

Strong foreign home entertainment sales of the third season of “True Blood” contributed as well.

Studio quarterly operating income declined 11%, to $154 million from $173 million.

Operating income was hampered by pre-release print and advertising expenses, higher theatrical film valuation adjustments and increased overhead costs related in part to recent acquisitions, as well as higher restructuring and severance costs.

The UVVU.com site also states:

http://www.uvvu.com/what-is-uv.php

Quote:
You’ll be able to download and play UltraViolet media on UltraViolet computers, tablets, game consoles, set top boxes, Blu-ray players, Internet TVs, smartphones and other mobile devices.
Quote:
On Your TV

UltraViolet finally makes TV a full citizen of the Internet. It will be simple to shop for UltraViolet media on the Internet, then enjoy it on your living room TV using an UltraViolet gaming console, set top box, Blu-ray player, or the TV itself. Best of all, UltraViolet can end family feuds over the TV: Kids using the Blu-ray-connected set? No problem! UltraViolet Blu-ray discs come with the right to stream or download the content, letting you watch your movie on other TVs with an Internet connection.

On Your Computer

Your computer and most others are a gateway to your UltraViolet media collection. You can download, store and play UltraViolet media on a whole array of different computers belonging to you and up to 11 other registered UltraViolet devices through your Household Account. Or access your UltraViolet collection via streaming to almost any computer that can access the Internet – whether it’s your desktop or laptop, a family member’s Netbook or tablet, regardless of platform.

On The Go

With UltraViolet, you’re no longer tethered to home-bound media players. Stream UltraViolet movies and TV shows on most Internet-capable portable devices, giving you maximum mobility. UltraViolet mobile devices will also let you download and store copies, ideal for locations without network access or for situations when you want to avoid additional data usage. Your UltraViolet Household Account extends to family members who work, go to school and play in other locations, so your family media collection is always where your family is!

Physical Damage or Loss

Elena comes home from work to find her entire DVD collection strewn about. What isn’t half-eaten by her 6-month-old puppy is scratched, cracked or missing altogether. Fortunately, Elena has registered her UltraViolet discs in her Household Account, so she can download replacement digital copies of any missing titles, or simply stream them to her computer or other devices.
If you truly needed the disc to play the movie then how would you watch the digital copy on devices such as tablets, smartphones, and other mobile devices? It sounds more like one (or a few) articles may have gotten their info wrong.

Last edited by rdodolak; 08-13-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #90
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
UV expert, will people be able to watch a hd stream?
This is my question, and all the "experts" fall strangely quiet when I ask it. If UV is truly meant to be insurance against theft, loss or damage, I would need an equivalent copy of my Blu-ray purchase. I see UV as a better alternative for those who like having a digital copy, but I don't watch movies on my phone so I really don't have a need for it without an HD copy.

And I'm not talking about a Netflix style "HD" either.
Now the real pain begins, Danny-boy.

My Theater/Media Room.................................................. ............My Media Wall Cabinet(How To/DIY)
Old 08-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #91
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Thanks Pro. I am thinking too much of what may happen i know. But i need to know i can still access high quality media years down the road. that is just me!
the thing about quality is that people that care don't let it die once they get hooked on it. That is why there are still LPs that is why there are still CDs that is why LD lasted so long. There will always be people not interested in cattle fodder and it will always be a large enough size of the market. Like LD the only time quality dies is when it gets replaced by better quality.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #92
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

lol, Apple and Disney don't support this format. I guess I don't either then. Most of my blus are Disney's and I have an iPod and iPad (that's the only 2 devices for which I could find a use for the digital copies - my own, not the "official" ones).
Lame idea, from start to finish. I'm abroad now, and I would like to have my blus with me, but I don't like being connected all the time on a wi-fi network to watch them. And frankly, what's the point of having the digital copy if you aren't allowed to use in without an internet connection? Airplanes, cars. Having a 3G connection to watch a movie on the go? Fcuk that!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #93

Mar 2009

Guys no eed to panic they are saying dvd also need authorised code how many dvd players are there with internet connection
unless they are stopping manu.dvd players and they only want us to use bluray players for dvd watching...!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #94
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
This is my question, and all the "experts" fall strangely quiet when I ask it. If UV is truly meant to be insurance against theft, loss or damage, I would need an equivalent copy of my Blu-ray purchase. I see UV as a better alternative for those who like having a digital copy, but I don't watch movies on my phone so I really don't have a need for it without an HD copy.

And I'm not talking about a Netflix style "HD" either.
I wasn't aware there was a blu-ray protection plan.
You mean to tell me that if you "broke" your blu-ray of Avatar it would automatically be replaced? Now if you broke or lost your Avatar digital copy, you could very well replace that. Isn't that what UV is? An elaborate version of digital copies?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #95
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
I wasn't aware there was a blu-ray protection plan.
You mean to tell me that if you "broke" your blu-ray of Avatar it would automatically be replaced? Now if you broke or lost your Avatar digital copy, you could very well replace that. Isn't that what UV is? An elaborate version of digital copies?
I don't see it as elaborate, in essence it just means that you can get your DC from different sources that are in the UV camp.

As for disks, never really needed it, but I have helped friends contact studios and so far studios have always replaced faulty disks (scratches and stuff from mishandeling), finding the info is "hard" and thinking about it is not always obvious, but I have not heard of a studio that won't replace a bad disk
Old 08-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #96
Power Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV Expert View Post
A blu-ray disc with UltraViolet plays like any other Blu-ray. No new Blu-ray player needed. But if you open an UIltraViolet account and access your UltraViolet rights, you get much more. The movie goes into your UltraViolet locker and you get to stream it to almost any internet connected device - smart phone, tablet, PC, for no additional fee. You even get to share with your family. Or better yet, if you are going somewhere without internet connectivity, just download a copy to your favorite UltraViolet device and watch whenever you want. Also, btw, there is no such thing as an UltraViolet DRM. It doesn't exist.
OK, I can see how this might work for the original buyer of the movie, if it is indeed like you described.

However, even this sounds like a bit of a dubious deal because I assume there will NOT be a way to transfer UV rights on the movie you buy. Like, for example, if I buy the UV-enabled Green Lantern and activate UV access, and then later on I decide to sell the physical disc, then the person who buys it as a second-hand copy presumably wouldn't be able to register it to their UV account. Right?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #97
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
OK, I can see how this might work for the original buyer of the movie, if it is indeed like you described.

However, even this sounds like a bit of a dubious deal because I assume there will NOT be a way to transfer UV rights on the movie you buy. Like, for example, if I buy the UV-enabled Green Lantern and activate UV access, and then later on I decide to sell the physical disc, then the person who buys it as a second-hand copy presumably wouldn't be able to register it to their UV account. Right?
right, if it was possible (and legal) then 5,10,100,1000 people could get together, buy 1 BD/UV each and they would all have an almost instant library of 5,10,100,1000 movies. Who needs pirating when people can legally share and make every copy they want. If they donít need the disk itself (I am guessing like DC the UV BD will come with a piece of paper with a code on it that can be used with and possibly without the BD) then an e-mail to a few millions of your closest friends or the code on a public forum and voila everyone has the film.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #98
Power Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
right, if it was possible (and legal) then 5,10,100,1000 people could get together, buy 1 BD/UV each and they would all have an almost instant library of 5,10,100,1000 movies. Who needs pirating when people can legally share and make every copy they want. If they donít need the disk itself (I am guessing like DC the UV BD will come with a piece of paper with a code on it that can be used with and possibly without the BD) then an e-mail to a few millions of your closest friends or the code on a public forum and voila everyone has the film.
But isn't the flipside of that that I can buy the UV-enabled blu-ray, enable the UV copy to my account, then sell the physical disc to a buyer who doesn't care for the UV copy?

That way I get rid of the physical disc (and possibly recuperate most of what I paid for the bundle) but continue to have access to the movie via UV.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #99
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
But isn't the flipside of that that I can buy the UV-enabled blu-ray, enable the UV copy to my account, then sell the physical disc to a buyer who doesn't care for the UV copy?

That way I get rid of the physical disc (and possibly recuperate most of what I paid for the bundle) but continue to have access to the movie via UV.
yes, but it is not really the flip side of what I said. And let's face it, you can do that today with any DC (or the flip side of what you said, buy the BD and give the DC/UV away if you like physical media).

The difference is this at worst will mean a studio will lose Ĺ the sales, if you have infinite UV copies then you can lose all but one
Old 08-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #100
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
yes, but it is not really the flip side of what I said. And let's face it, you can do that today with any DC (or the flip side of what you said, buy the BD and give the DC/UV away if you like physical media).

The difference is this at worst will mean a studio will lose Ĺ the sales, if you have infinite UV copies then you can lose all but one
Aren't you allowed to give access to up to five "family members" to your UV collection? How long before "buying groups" form up to share films?
Now the real pain begins, Danny-boy.

My Theater/Media Room.................................................. ............My Media Wall Cabinet(How To/DIY)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology