COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$16.19
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.98
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air (Blu-ray)
$14.22
The Ring (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Fed Up (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Princess Mononoke (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #1

May 2011
Thumbs up Band of Brothers + The Pacific Combo Set Nov. 8th, 2011

HBO is world-renown for their television events, ranging from their full-season, episodic adventures throughout history with the likes of True Blood, Game of Thrones, and the Sopranos, or even their comedy specials ranging from the likes of the brilliant, belated George Carlin to Chris Rock. One thing that always catches the eye of everyone with a subscription is the miniseries events, where the likes of Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, and more come out to show us the casualties of war.

Warner Home Video and HBO Home Entertainment will be getting together to salute our past troops with a gigantic collection containing the critically-heralded miniseries events, Band of Brothers and The Pacific. This massive box set will hold both specials in their entirety, containing special features to complement them while housed in a pretty sweet collector's box. The mega-set will be made available on November 8, 2011 for the SRP of $199.98 on Blu-ray and $159.98 on DVD.

The releases will feature the following bonus materials:

-- Audio Commentary
-- Making Of featurette
-- Documentaries

Of course, the real reason you're still reading is to check out the packaging. Check out the box art below:

Source: IGN
Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2008
Isla Nublar

Good thing I don't own either then cause now it's instant buy.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->126 UV-------->250

$200?! That's absolutely insane. I paid $40 for Band of Brothers and $50 for The Pacific.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #4

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
$200?! That's absolutely insane. I paid $40 for Band of Brothers and $50 for The Pacific.

Which of course are discounted from their original MSRP...just like this one will be when all the major discount retailers get it. I'm sure the combined set will cost more than the individual box sets from the first release, as I imagine there will be some additional content not available in the previous versions...but that is an assumption at this point.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->126 UV-------->250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbonaterX View Post
Which of course are discounted from their original MSRP...just like this one will be when all the major discount retailers get it. I'm sure the combined set will cost more than the individual box sets from the first release, as I imagine there will be some additional content not available in the previous versions...but that is an assumption at this point.
What possible extra content could there be? Both sets are loaded as it is.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

We get a slightly different set in the UK. For £36.47.

81sSvHuEOVL__AA1500_.jpg
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
We get a slightly different set in the UK. For £36.47.
I got my Band of Brothers from Amazon UK for £13.90 (around $25) back in 2009, and have had The Pacific in my cart saved for later waiting for a similar deal (already rented the series, so no hurry). With The Pacific currently £37.49 for it alone, I think the chances of getting it for around what I paid for BoB is looking good.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
I got my Band of Brothers from Amazon UK for £13.90 (around $25) back in 2009, and have had The Pacific in my cart saved for later waiting for a similar deal (already rented the series, so no hurry). With The Pacific currently £37.49 for it alone, I think the chances of getting it for around what I paid for BoB is looking good.
I'm waiting for it to come down as well. This set looks nice I wonder apart from having the two boxsets side-by-side like the US set has versus the back-to-back style the UK set if there are any other differences?
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 08-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
Banned

Mar 2009
30 Years From Now

been dieing to see these might pick these up.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I'm waiting for it to come down as well. This set looks nice I wonder apart from having the two boxsets side-by-side like the US set has versus the back-to-back style the UK set if there are any other differences?
The content / discs are the same. I don't know if the US set anything different in the packaging - the listing here just shows the side by side box and nothing of what's inside, and Amazon.com doesn't even have a listing for it yet.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #11

Mar 2011
CA

i like the tins the first ones came in this one looks like a cheap box and why would they put them side by side like that so that they won't fit on you shelf right
Old 08-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Powers View Post
i like the tins the first ones came in this one looks like a cheap box and why would they put them side by side like that so that they won't fit on you shelf right
Totally agreed. I would definitely still keep my 2 tins instead of getting this. Nevertheless, the new UK one will fit into the shelf nicely - but I still prefer the tins...
Trust No One
Old 08-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Kuala Lumpur, MY

Pre-ordered from Amazon UK for $55.50 shipped.

Not only it's much cheaper, but the box seems like normal sized.
SONY PLAYSTATION 3 | MARANTZ CD6005 | MARANTZ SR5007
PANASONIC VIERA TH-P65ST60K | KEF LS50 ANNIVERSARY MODEL | SVS SB13-ULTRA
AUDIOQUEST | QED | SUPRA | THE CHORD COMPANY
DARBEE DARBLET DVP5000 | LOGITECH HARMONY TOUCH + PS3 ADAPTER
Old 08-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #14

Feb 2008
Detroit

I received both of these recently, but haven't had time to watch them...until now. Which set should I watch first and why??
Old 08-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopywatcher68 View Post
I received both of these recently, but haven't had time to watch them...until now. Which set should I watch first and why??
Band of Brothers begins a few months before D-Day 1944 (June 6) while The Pacific begins in 1941 with the aftermath of Pearl Harbor on December 7.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #16

Jul 2011
If you build it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
What possible extra content could there be? Both sets are loaded as it is.
According to this: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7068 it'll be the same discs as the previously released BDs of BoB and The Pacific along with high gloss photos, collectible maps, and one new docu: "He Has Seen War."
Old 08-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prideoftheyanks View Post
According to this: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7068 it'll be the same discs as the previously released BDs of BoB and The Pacific along with high gloss photos, collectible maps, and one new docu: "He Has Seen War."
So basically a bunch of junk and one additional documentary.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #18

Mar 2011
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiman04 View Post
Pre-ordered from Amazon UK for $55.50 shipped.

Not only it's much cheaper, but the box seems like normal sized.
wow thats a good price for both and that set looks better than the us version
Old 09-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #19

Sep 2011

I started price comparing after seeing the pacific gold box deal for $38.99 today; really wanted both though. Found you can easily get both separately for $80 total. Question is what factors to consider to spend another $55 for this (amazon preorder is $135). There is the extra hour long documentary, and the 2 books for each series with the nice photography included. The case that holds all discs together looks great too. But when I learned from Tom Hanks' website that the UK version has the same bonus documentary just minus the books and different (and more size friendly) packaging for $53 shipped from AmazonUK, that's $82 less than the US version and $27 less than if I bought both separately (and no bonus documentary). The steel cases in the separate versions are pretty sweet but I'm going for the region free UK version which is much less and I get all the special features. The extra books and packaging aren't worth an extra $55 to me. Curious what others thoughts might be, I've never ordered from AmazonUK before until now.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Arizona

It is a nice set but not for me. I was able to get Band of Brother a while back for just about $7 after using reward zone gift certif and later bought The Pacific for about $20.

I just watched both series straight through this past weekend and I personally like BoB much more. If I were to watch either again, I would pass on The Pacific.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America