Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fate/Stay Night: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 08-13-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Special Member

Aug 2011
Earth
Default Titanic 3D and Collector's Edition BD Sept 14 Review

Titanic 3D Collector's Edition Blu-ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9126

Titanic 3D Blu-ray

Titanic 3D Blu-ray Review

Just read a review of some of the 3D footage for Titanic. I managed to avoid this movie for all these years but I'm pretty sure when this comes to 3D Blu-ray I'll be buying a copy.

Quote:
We\'ve Had A Look At Titanic 3D - Here's Kate's Take On The Footage

Today was the first day of Big Screen at the O2 and, amongst the trailers and the clips, was a section from Twentieth Century Fox on next year's biggest re-release, Titanic. As everyone and his dog must know, Titanic was originally the super smash of 1997 but, to coincide with the centenary of the sinking of the ship next year, Fox and James Cameron are re-releasing the film, with every scene freshly painted in state of the art 3D.

On Friday, some Big Screeners were treated to a selection of completed scenes in full 3D. These included what was, for me and many more, an iconic scene from the original: when the ship is being loaded and Kate Winslet as Rose takes her first look at it from under her extraordinary hat. As cars and other goods are carried on to the vessel, our initial impression of this enormous ship, the unsinkable Titantic, is now intensified as depth and scale are added.

We were shown a selection of scenes that didn't just highlight key stages of the ship's journey towards the bottom of the sea, they also highlighted that, no matter how dark theaction, state of the art, properly projected 3D delivers new depths to some very familiar scenes without any undesirable muddying.

I saw: Leonardo DiCaprio as Jack, dancing with Rose among the third class passengers; Jack's greeting of Rose at the bottom of the grand staircase; Jack holding Rose at the very front of the ship as they fly through the seas; the dramatic scene as the crew of the ship do all they can to shift the Titanic away from the iceberg and, finally, the moments when the ship, in pieces, smashes into the black, cold sea.

I remember so vividly watching these scenes, and the rest of the film, in the theatres back in 1997. Back then, Cameron's Titanic seemed to be heavy with original and awe-inspiring moments and, personally, I don't think I've ever sobbed so much at the movies.

These new clips suggest a 3D reworking that has the potential to reopen all those old wounds and bring on the emotion afresh. Nodirector is moreassociated with 3D than Cameron and, arguably, no director employs it as well. The scenes that we saw today illustrated how any criticisms that naysayers generally throw at 3D productions will fall flat with this film. Even the night scenes were clear, with no added darkness, and there was little, if any, additional blurring or streaking as Jack and Rose dance their way across the lower class decks.

The 3D is particularly effective during the grand camera sweeps across the ship, butalso as the Titanic sinks. Shots of the massive ship in the background with the dark sea and its victims in the foreground were particularly striking, but even the gentler scenes seemed fresh and alive. We were told that Cameron had already taken over a year on this 3D adaptation, and there is still more time to come before its release.

You can be assured that when Titanic is re-released in 3D - and in 2D - on 6 April 2012, we will be presented with the very best that James Cameron can do. And that, I'm assured, will be excellent.
Source

Last edited by Deciazulado; 09-05-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:42 AM   #2

Oct 2008

Why in the world would you avoid this movie? It's Cameron, the sinking ship scenes are amazing, and it's a fantastic story.

Oh, yeah...11 Oscars including Best Picture.

Must suck because a bunch of people badmouthed it on the boards, I guess.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
Special Member

Aug 2011
Earth

Eh, it's a chick flick and I know the general story pretty well so I just never watched it, never felt I was missing much either, but assuming it will get a 3D Blu-ray release that will change in about a year I'd guess, unless of course it goes exclusive which would piss a lot of us off I'm sure.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

and in '2D' - really?? oh I hope since the film was remastered in 4K, they can rerelease it as such.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
Special Member

May 2010

Wow, 97. Where does the time go...

Loved it the first time around. Looking forward to this. I've yet to see it on blu-ray. I got it on VHS and later upgraded to DVD. Now I'll get to have it on 3D BD.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:17 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

^ what you didn't own the DTS laserdisc edition
Old 08-13-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
Special Member

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
^ what you didn't own the DTS laserdisc edition
Lol. No I never had laser disc. That was with like the big record sized discs right? That came and went before I even got the chance try it out lol. I remember seeing it in the store.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #8

Apr 2011

i think the release of Titanic in 3D may just give 3D another boost, as it did with Avatar.

Lets just hope the reviewer wasn't paid off or had some linking to Fox!
LG 42LW550T, Panny DMP-BDT310, Onkyo TX-SR507, Energy Take Connoisseur Classic
Old 08-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

So, have they digitally removed the Billy Zane character, or is the script still ear-bendingly corny?
(Also as a tribute to Avatar.)
Old 08-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
USA

I have never seen ALL of Titanic, I probably have only watched 40mins of it. But I am looking forward to buying the 3D blu ray next year and finally watching the whole movie.
St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Rams fan.

Last edited by AutomaticDriver; 08-13-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #11

Mar 2011
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 3D View Post
Eh, it's a chick flick and I know the general story pretty well so I just never watched it, never felt I was missing much either, but assuming it will get a 3D Blu-ray release that will change in about a year I'd guess, unless of course it goes exclusive which would piss a lot of us off I'm sure.
Far from a chick flick. 'The Notebook' is a chick flick, 'Titanic' is a story. I'm surprised that a few of you haven't seen this movie in its entirety, I love it, and look forward to the re-release and the eventual 3D Blu!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapathy View Post
Why in the world would you avoid this movie? It's Cameron, the sinking ship scenes are amazing, and it's a fantastic story.

Oh, yeah...11 Oscars including Best Picture.

Must suck because a bunch of people badmouthed it on the boards, I guess.
No, it's bad because the depth in the movie (apart from the recently implemented 3D) is non-existent. The characters are shallow, the dialogs are weak and the story is as subtle as the Titanic hitting an iceberg. Cameron does know how to dress it all up visually, but the historical mistakes he makes (and he wants to try to be historically correct, so it's not on purpose) are pretty big.
But of course what's more astonishing is that it managed to make over a billion dollars and 11 Oscars, never shutting up those who think that a big box office or Academy Awards actually mean something.

I also don't like the conversion of regular film into 3D. Not altering a movie was important once. Colorizing black and white movies was (and still is) not done, so why should converting a movie into 3D be any different?
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 08-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubrickFan View Post
I also don't like the conversion of regular film into 3D. Not altering a movie was important once. Colorizing black and white movies was (and still is) not done, so why should converting a movie into 3D be any different?
Conversions really aren't any different then colorations. However I don't have a problem with colorations if both the original filmmakers approve it and the original black and white versions are included. For example Harryhousens movies on Blu-Ray have a colorized version and there is nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't support 3D conversions done without approval of the original filmmakers
3D: Cause two eyes are better then one
Deleting posts is like burning books
Old 08-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #14

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubrickFan View Post
No, it's bad because the depth in the movie (apart from the recently implemented 3D) is non-existent. The characters are shallow, the dialogs are weak and the story is as subtle as the Titanic hitting an iceberg. Cameron does know how to dress it all up visually, but the historical mistakes he makes (and he wants to try to be historically correct, so it's not on purpose) are pretty big.
But of course what's more astonishing is that it managed to make over a billion dollars and 11 Oscars, never shutting up those who think that a big box office or Academy Awards actually mean something.

Obvious you are entitled to your opinion of the movie, but I don't agree.

Not sure how I feel about converting it to 3D. But at this point it has never been out on Blu-ray. The DVD was not "enhanced for 16x9 TV's". So if they release it in 3d Blu-ray it may sell very well.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:11 AM   #15

Jul 2011

Now we know what the Panasonic Exclusive 3D Blu-ray will be around Holiday 2012...which will probably be at the time Cameron releases Avatar 3D to the public.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:37 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008

so when can we expect a 2D/3D release jam packed with extras then you guys think?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #17
Special Member

Aug 2011
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiC. HD View Post
Far from a chick flick. 'The Notebook' is a chick flick, 'Titanic' is a story. I'm surprised that a few of you haven't seen this movie in its entirety, I love it, and look forward to the re-release and the eventual 3D Blu!
Well maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised but I'm not expecting the story to do much for me though I am expecting something of a visual feast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinectamaniac View Post
Now we know what the Panasonic Exclusive 3D Blu-ray will be around Holiday 2012...which will probably be at the time Cameron releases Avatar 3D to the public.
I do think there is a good possibility of this being a exclusive, hope that's not the case but I could easily see it happening. Though I think the exclusivity of Avatar is set to end in February 2012. Can't recall where I read that but I could swear I came across that date just the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
so when can we expect a 2D/3D release jam packed with extras then you guys think?
Well if it doesn't go exclusive I'd think Thanksgiving/Christmas time 2012. They are saying it returns to theaters in April 2012 so that sounds about right.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #18

Apr 2011

My favourite movie of all time. Cannot wait to see this again in the cinema let alone in 3D as a completely new experience. My most anticipated up and coming movie.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #19

Feb 2009

Titanic (Blu-ray 3D): bluray-disc.de - vsl. August 2012 (voraussichtlicher Release)

bluray-disc.de

Avatar - Announced exclusive Panasonic deal has been extended to February 29, 2012.

List of Blu-ray 3D releases - Wikipedia
Old 08-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tns49 View Post
Obvious you are entitled to your opinion of the movie, but I don't agree.

Not sure how I feel about converting it to 3D. But at this point it has never been out on Blu-ray. The DVD was not "enhanced for 16x9 TV's". So if they release it in 3d Blu-ray it may sell very well.
The Special Edition DVD was very much anamorphic. And of course it'll sell well, it's freaking Titanic.
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies