Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Hell in the Pacific $14.75 (4 hours left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Deadpool 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Spider-Man: Homecoming 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.01
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #61
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Scottsdale, AZ

If I got a BF deal on nothing but this set (Criterion), I wouldn't complain. It's easily my number one want on the BF list.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #62

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Mars View Post
If I got a BF deal on nothing but this set (Criterion), I wouldn't complain. It's easily my number one want on the BF list.
I'd be surprised if a BF sale has this set cheaper than the B&N 50% off Criterion sale. That was such a killer price for this trilogy.
Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

My Criterion Collection
Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #63
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Birmingham, Alabama. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
I'd be surprised if a BF sale has this set cheaper than the B&N 50% off Criterion sale. That was such a killer price for this trilogy.
Agreed. I'd try to order it online if you can't get it in store before the sale ends.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...faces?siteId=3

"Someone who loves to start a fire and listen to the screams."

"If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?"
Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #64
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

Quote:
I jumped on this sale immediately. Good price for this set. Plan to watch all 3 this Thanksgiving weekend.

Last edited by tama; 11-21-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #65

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tama View Post
I jumped on this sale immediately. Good price for this set. Plan to wathc all 3 this Thanksgiving weekend.
Same here, I picked up my copy Day 1. Couldn't pass it up! That sounds like a great plan for Thanksgiving weekend.

My Criterion Collection
Old 11-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #66

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenia View Post
I watched White yesterday.
My setup is a Panasonic BDT 110 in bitstream, plugged to a Yamaha RV-465, set in straight.
I definitely had a DTS-HD MA 2.0, which used both of my front speakers (quite nicely, by the way).
Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I definitely have two channels of audio also if my receiver is set to straight. This release is not meant to be played straight though. If you look in the "about the transfer" section of the book it says the audio is actually a surround mix intended to be decoded by turning Dolby pro logic on. (Why Criterion didn't decode it themselves to make the disc's audio a native 5.1 is another question)

So with Dolby Pro Logic turned on is when I hear a mono mix from "White." Dolby Pro Logic would do such a thing when both channels of a two channel mix are identical. If you listened to it in stereo it might not be noticeable if both channels are the same.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #67

Sep 2009
Default I was right. We're getting replacement discs.

I e-mailed criterion about my audio question and it turns out I was correct about there being a problem and they will be sending replacement discs. I got the following reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criterion
Thank you for your email and for bringing this issue to our attention.

We were able to replicate the problem on our end and are preparing a corrected run of the "White" Blu-ray disc. Once they are available, I will reach out to you with details on exchanging your disc for a new one.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you for supporting the Criterion Collection!

All the best,
Old 11-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #68

Nov 2008
█♣█

^ This sucks. I'm surprised nobody else noticed this problem. I just ordered this yesterday from Amazon and it's too late to cancel (wonder when/if it will be pulled from Amazon's website). Hopefully, Criterion is willing to ship the replacement disc to me in Canada.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #69
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Birmingham, Alabama. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammermill View Post
^ This sucks. I'm surprised nobody else noticed this problem. I just ordered this yesterday from Amazon and it's too late to cancel (wonder when/if it will be pulled from Amazon's website). Hopefully, Criterion is willing to ship the replacement disc to me in Canada.
I haven't watched my copy yet. It's good to hear that we'll get replacement discs.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...faces?siteId=3

"Someone who loves to start a fire and listen to the screams."

"If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?"
Old 11-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #70
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vauba View Post
Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I definitely have two channels of audio also if my receiver is set to straight. This release is not meant to be played straight though. If you look in the "about the transfer" section of the book it says the audio is actually a surround mix intended to be decoded by turning Dolby pro logic on. (Why Criterion didn't decode it themselves to make the disc's audio a native 5.1 is another question)

So with Dolby Pro Logic turned on is when I hear a mono mix from "White." Dolby Pro Logic would do such a thing when both channels of a two channel mix are identical. If you listened to it in stereo it might not be noticeable if both channels are the same.
Like Tenia, I also bitstream; my receiver is set to straight processing

This makes it very confusing because the film can't have a "native" 5.1 mix, the audio is and should be a 2.0 mix. Unless, as you suggest, Criterion split everything and put a straight 5.1 mix on the disc. If you bitstream and play the disc as is, it is virtually impossible to catch the extra separation you would notice if you turn on Pro Logic. I am unsure how much extra activity there will be in surround mode on White of all films, but I will definitely take a look if they send me a new disc.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #71
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
London, UK

This is unfortunate. Criterion - whilst making a great product - have little regard for their non-US customers. I sent several e-mails enquiring about replacements for JIGOKU and was roundly ignored. European customers shouldn't expect a corrected version of WHITE.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #72
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Lisbon, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie walker View Post
This is unfortunate. Criterion - whilst making a great product - have little regard for their non-US customers. I sent several e-mails enquiring about replacements for JIGOKU and was roundly ignored. European customers shouldn't expect a corrected version of WHITE.
That simply is NOT true. I always got class A treatment from Criterion. Being it replacing digipaks, cases or booklets. 90% free! Maybe you got a bad experience but I dealt with them several times over the years. They have been more than helpful.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #73
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eny- View Post
That simply is NOT true. I always got class A treatment from Criterion. Being it replacing digipaks, cases or booklets. 90% free! Maybe you got a bad experience but I dealt with them several times over the years. They have been more than helpful.
I'm not alone in having been ignored by them - I just read some other people expressing the same sentiments as I did. But hey - maybe they've changed. I'll certainly try again if a replacement for WHITE is offered.

Still doesn't replace JIGOKU, which is more grievously flawed than the more recent discs we've been discussing.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #74

Nov 2008
█♣█

Adrock posted this in the main Criterion thread:

Quote:
Just a note for everyone. This may have already been mentioned, so I apologize if it has been.

I spoke with Jon at Criterion, and the replacement discs for The Three Colors Trilogy, 'White' should be available in December. Feel free to contact Criterion to get on the list, and when they are available, they will contact you directly and advise on how to complete the exchange with them directly.

Jon's email address is : mulvaney@criterion.com
Old 11-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #75

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammermill View Post
Adrock posted this in the main Criterion thread:
Indeed. I haven't had too many experiences where I actually required customer service from Criterion, but from my experience their customer service has always been top notch if required.

My Criterion Collection
Old 11-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #76
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

I'm in the UK and just emailed them.

My boxset's not here yet but it's due any day.

I hope Criterion will resolve this for international buyers or at least post discs to the stores (B&N for me) to save us a lot of ****ing about.

Never had any dealings with Criterion before.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #77
Blu-ray Knight

May 2011
NJ
-

My emails to him never get answered, so what is my other option? I'd like to get on the 'replacement list' but won't have any luck emailing..

Last edited by Hawkguy; 11-24-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #78
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopFilm View Post
My emails to him never get answered...
1. Make sure the email feautures absolutely everything he might need to help you. I'm sure he's a busy guy and doesn't have time for ping-pong email.

2. Be very polite and offer to send anything else he might need.

3. Email a link to this post saying you've not had help before so you mentioned it on the biggest (and best*) Blu-ray forum on the planet.

I've only just emailed so hopefully he'll reply.

As long as I get a disc I don't care who deals with it. Amazon.com sorted all the Warner Blade Runner disc problems in an excellent manner. Very professional and fault-free. If B&N (my retailer) can do that (with Criterion informing them of the problem and how to resolve it) then that's cool.

*This is a proven fact as stated by midgets dressed up as dogs playing Superman
Old 11-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #79

May 2010

how about the AE version: 50G or 25G? B locked or not? audio 5.1 or 2.0?

thanks a lot
Old 11-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #80

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
1. Make sure the email feautures absolutely everything he might need to help you. I'm sure he's a busy guy and doesn't have time for ping-pong email.

2. Be very polite and offer to send anything else he might need.

3. Email a link to this post saying you've not had help before so you mentioned it on the biggest (and best*) Blu-ray forum on the planet.

I've only just emailed so hopefully he'll reply.
These are excellent tips.

When I emailed, I provided all of my contact information up front, address, phone, email, and full name. I was very polite, and just requested if I could find out more information regarding if their will be replacements discs in the future. His response came in less than a day after my email.

Do keep in mind though, that it is Thanksgiving today in the US, so he most likely is not working or in the 'office', and like many people may not return until Monday.

My Criterion Collection
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America