COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.05
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Queen Margot (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Old 08-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #1

Aug 2008
Default Player is "Skipping"

I have a Samsung BD-P1600. This problem is making me think about upgrading... Certain disks will skip or pause during certain parts. I thought at first my subs were making it skip, but it happens when no LFE is present. It's not all the time, but it is hell of annoying. It doesn't lock... It just pauses then picks up, and sometimes the sound is out of wack when it comes back.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware, and just wanted to know if anyone has had this issue.

I have been thinking of upgrading since this is the only piece in my system that is not of higher quality. I have upgraded to an Onkyo 3008, martinlogan system, two revel subs, but I still use what I can only guess is a sub-par bluray.

I have been looking at Pioneer Elite, Denon, Oppo, and Onkyo for players. Suggestions are welcome!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I think Samsung players are terrible.

(Based on my friend who bought 3 of them because they match his TV and has yet to have one without problems.)

My standalone player (Sony S370) has been having similar problems too lately. Sometimes it sort of almost freezes up. It slows down a bit. I think it's laser is failing.

I will start using my PS3 more and keep the standalone as a "spare". I wonder if PS3 and computer players are less prone to these types of problems because of the way the read data.

Clearly stand alone players just kind of stream the data whereas computers and such read ahead and buffer.

-Brian
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 08-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Send a message via AIM to andyman1970 Send a message via Yahoo to andyman1970

Have you checked the back of the disc to make sure there are no scratches, fingerprints, etc.? Does it happen to all your disc or just certain ones? I would make sure it's not a disc issue before buying a new player. If you do get a new player I'd suggest a Panasonic unless you play video games then you might consider the PS3.
Still waiting on Pink Floyd:The Wall (1982) Blu-ray release.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 AM   #4

Apr 2010

I had a 6500 that had problems like that. The sound would cut out when it was set to bitstream and played DTS HD MA. It was only on a few discs at first, then a few others developed problems, on a few it also turned into video problems, not just audio. Somewhere on google there is a spreadsheet that I found thru a CNET link. It is set up by Samsung but consumers can enter problem discs into the spreadsheet and supposedly the issues were being worked on. All of my issues were with older movies, not new releases so I don't think they were ever going to do an update to fix them. The problem ones were American Gangster, In the Line of Fire, Angels & Demons, Xfiles, one of the Life discs, those are some of the ones I remember. I got a Panasonic and every one of those discs played fine in the same spots that wouldn't work on the Samsung. If you can afford to get a new player, that would be your best bet.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #5

Jul 2009
Santa Cruz CA

I had this happen with my 1600 after two years. I bought a Panasonic player. Panasonic is considered the best by many, and the picture is superior to the Samsung and the audio options are superb. I set it up so it processes my audio through an Onkyo 7.1 system.

Denon and Oppo may be better players but Panasonic is excellent for the money, at less than 150 dollars.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders