Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 08-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #1

Aug 2007
Default 8 Films That Are Remakes That You Probably Didn’t Know Were Remakes

8 Films That Are Remakes That You Probably Didn’t Know Were Remakes

Source

Quote:
If you happen to peruse the films opening this weekend, you may momentarily wonder if you stepped back in time, but rest assured the laws of the space-time continuum are still intact. I think. Two cult classics from the 80s, Fright Night and Conan the Barbarian, are hitting theaters this weekend in their rebooted, shiny 2011 form, marking yet another weekend at the box office when everything that is old is new again. And just think, we still have the newest Superman and Spiderman reboots to look forward to in 2012. One can only hope that in our lifetimes, we will only have to suffer through one Footloose remake.

With this newest wave of remakes reaching what feels like a fever pitch and film-goers falling prey to a certain level of reboot fatigue, it may be a bit comforting (or frightening) to realize that Hollywood remakes are as old as Hollywood itself and the art of filmmaking hasn’t imploded in on itself from a drought of original ideas…yet. When film studios can bank on a “sure thing” with already successfully material, odds are good that they will. Does this mean in ten years time we’ll be talking about a Transformer remake? Oh dear, I hope I didn’t just give anyone any ideas.

While we can debate forever about the legitimacy of a Dirty Dancing remake, I think we can all agree the best remakes are the ones that we didn’t even know were remakes to begin with. For better and for worse, the following eight films have been done before and you probably didn’t know it.
Read more here.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:34 AM   #2

Aug 2009

Not to be rude, as I assume you posted this article simply to share it with fellow nerds. But any self respecting film buff (or even novice I would say) knew that all of these films were remakes. I was under the impression that this article would tell me something I didn't know. Seems more at home on a Facebook page, then amongst film snob forums...
Old 08-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
Banned

Aug 2011

This is just ridiculous. All of those films were completley reinventions. To companre something as radically different from the original Scarface as the Pacino version to the regurgitation of Fright Night is insane.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

I didn't know vanilla sky was a remake, and although i did know 12 monkeys was a remake i didn't know it was from a short film. I hope the ties are more then that article makes it sound as heros from the future traveling back to save their world are in no way original to these two movies.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 08-19-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Sacramento, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixShot View Post
This is just ridiculous. All of those films were completley reinventions. To companre something as radically different from the original Scarface as the Pacino version to the regurgitation of Fright Night is insane.
I think the point is that a remake is not always an evil horrifying atrocious act of laziness or ineptitude. Lots of people condemn a remake before it even gets off the ground. While I will admit the majority of remakes are worthless, I am open to somebody improving an idea. Same goes for sequels and prequels.

I do think reboots of comic book movies are in a different category though. I love Burton's expressionist take on Batman and Nolan's crime/drama take. Comic book characters have gone through decades of multiple writers and stories.
Wolverine: I'm the best at what I do.
Deadpool: And now I'm better at doing whatever it is Wolverine does!

"In my youth I courted war." -Thor
Old 08-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #6
Power Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorsetinogilliam View Post
Not to be rude, as I assume you posted this article simply to share it with fellow nerds. But any self respecting film buff (or even novice I would say) knew that all of these films were remakes. I was under the impression that this article would tell me something I didn't know. Seems more at home on a Facebook page, then amongst film snob forums...
Agreed!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
Special Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
I wouldn't say a novice would know all of them are remakes, but I agree a novice would know some of them were.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Dallas, TX

The only ones I knew about from that article were "The Thing" and "You've Got Mail".
"The cost of a thing is the amount of life which is required to be exchanged for it." ~Henry David Thoreau~

**No personal blog links. Thank you.**
Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

I had no idea Heat was a remake let alone a remake of an earlier Mann project.

That's okay, though. I didn't really respect myself all that much to begin with.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 08-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixShot View Post
Gosh, you mean The Thing wasn't original?
(ISTR, at the time, the studio took pains to point out that it wasn't really the 40's remake, since the old version never did the original story source to begin with...)

As for others, I don't think I would've looked up Ray Milland and Charles Laughton in "The Big Clock" on TCM if it hadn't been for Kevin Costner and Gene Hackman in "No Way Out".
Strangest remake: Chris O'Donnell in "The Bachelor" standing in for....Buster Keaton?

(And then, of course, there's a whole separate category of Americanized remakes of Japanese films, like The Ring, Shall We Dance, The Grudge, One Missed Call, and...ahem...
[Show spoiler]
)

Last edited by EricJ; 08-19-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

Quote:
wow, someone's a little high on themselves!!

the guy obviously posted it b/c he thought it was an interesting article.

i know u said "not to be rude"....but u came off as a total douche!!
Blu-Benny’s 7.2 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"
Old 08-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

The only one from that list that list that I knew was a remake is The Thing. I'll crawl away no to search for some self respect.
Steve
Old 08-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The only one from that list that list that I knew was a remake is The Thing. I'll crawl away no to search for some self respect.
it's ok, i only knew about the thing and scarface.
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"
Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
A bit off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
it's ok, i only knew about the thing and scarface.
One question Benny:Has Michael Bay ever done a remake?Too lazy to do the research,and besides: only idle curiosity.
Don't complain Kubrick isn't around anymore when you have Fincher.

Self improvement is masturbation-Tyler Durden
Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #15
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma View Post
One question Benny:Has Michael Bay ever done a remake?Too lazy to do the research,and besides: only idle curiosity.
no remakes that i can think of....the island is compared to another movie w/a similar idea though.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No need to - The thread is ironic in that the fact that hardly anyone knows they are remakes is enough reason that doing the remake in the first place was a great idea. Obviously the orignals were either very old, very obscure, or just simply lousy movies. Some meet all those criteria. The Island is based on the same concept as Logans Run, but Logans Run is a mega-cheesey 70's flick that has a good story but desperately needed freshening up. The Island craps all over it.

The difference between those remakes/reinventions listed here and most of the current remakes is that the films they are remaking are either fairly new(Spidey), classics & good as is(Superman, Fright Night), or just plain dont need remaking/rebooting.

Dont forget that the Wizard of Oz is also supposedly a remake, based on books or short stories...whatever. Alls anyone cares about is the Judy Garland version so thats all that matters.
Pioneer 5080 KURO
Samsung UN6500 LED
LG BD-570, Sony BDP-S360, PS 3
Toshiba A30 & A2
Sony STRDG-AV 810
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 510

Last edited by s2mikey; 08-19-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #17

Jun 2010
Lancaster, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
(And then, of course, there's a whole separate category of Americanized remakes of Japanese films, like The Ring, Shall We Dance, The Grudge, One Missed Call, and...ahem...
[Show spoiler]
)
hahahahaha! Nicely played, EricJ. I got a good chortle out of that.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Raleigh, NC

I already knew that each of these were remakes - but that said, the premise of the discussion is sound - Hollywood doing remakes is nothing new. Sometimes to great results, sometimes to groans and moans.
Tru Blu

Thank you, Blu-ray.com for the Schindler's List Giveaway!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Atlanta, GA

I knew that four of these were remakes, I have not seen two of the films listed, and I was surprised to learn that about Heat/His Girl Friday.

La Jetee is freaking amazing, btw. Anyone who hasn't seen it should go look it up on YouTube or something. It's only 26 minutes long, but there is nothing else like it.
Chronic Post Editor: If this post is fewer than five minutes old, then I am probably still revising it.

Noob Audiophile: MusicBee > HRT Music Streamer II+ > Matrix M-Stage (2x OPA602BP) > AKG Q701
My Music
Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011

-Didn't 12 Monkeys DVD include La jetée on the disc? I knew about that one just because either it was on the DVD, or something in the DVD at least referenced it. (I never actually watched La jetee, I'm just going on memory of what was on the DVD). 12 Monkeys was the 1st DVD I ever purchased and one of my favorites of all time.
-I knew Scarface was a remake, but not up until a few years ago when I saw it on TCM. I felt ashamed I didn't know.

I didn't know about the others, but these aren't exactly some of my favorites anyway. I'll probably forget these about what these "remakes" were based on in about 15 minutes

Last edited by AgentOrange; 08-19-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies