Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$123.99
Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$108.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$14.49
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$75.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #61

Dec 2011
Default Deadly Spawn

Yes, Jerry I have moved on also. What does an email chain have to do with our phone conversation?? The bottom line was...when we talked about it you said you did not want to give an advance or Blu-Ray because the film did not do that well for you and you didn't want to spend any more money. If what you say is true and you really had plans to release a Blu-Ray and still wanted the film, we would have had a deal. I ONLY went to other companies when you said you weren't interested. But like you said, we have all moved on. This will be my last answer to this issue.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #62

Dec 2011
Default Deadly Spawn

To answer another question: Yes, the film is out. I have seen it and posted about the quality. The film was shot on 16mm with about a dozen film stocks. Some outdated, I'm sure. There is grain and lines. We tried to remove just enough grain to make the film look a little better. The scenes that WERE shot in focus and lit well look stunning on Blu-Ray! There is a lot of cool Supplemental Material including some TV stuff, extended auditions, Deadly Spawn Comic Book pages. (yes, we are doing a Prequel, Original and Sequel to Spawn in Comic form)...and a few surprises. This Elite Blu-Ray and the Synapse DVD make a nice pair.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #63

Dec 2011
Default Deadly Spawn

Yes, many of the online stores sold out with the advance orders. Many of my friends overseas have ordered multiple copies. A girl in Germany ordered 35 copies alone. They should all have stock now and everybody should have delivery by Monday. Thank you all for helping support this film! And, yes, I'm trying to put together Deadly Spawn 2 right now. Film companies like it when you have a Comic Book Series....
Old 02-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #64
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

not much to add but a simple I got an email from Amazon that my copy has been shipped and on it's way!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #65

Dec 2011
Default Deadly Spawn

The one thing I really wanted to add to the Blu-Ray was the Deadly Spawn live appearance on NBC News (April 1983). They (Pia Lindstrom) gave the film an almost 3 minute review (including clip). After the review, the Mother Spawn herself made a guest appearance attacking Pia to the delight of the anchors Sue Simmons and Tom Snyder. We never got the call back from NBC in time with an ok to use the clip. (I wanted an Easter Egg! ;-) )
Old 02-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #66
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfxted View Post
The one thing I really wanted to add to the Blu-Ray was the Deadly Spawn live appearance on NBC News (April 1983). They (Pia Lindstrom) gave the film an almost 3 minute review (including clip). After the review, the Mother Spawn herself made a guest appearance attacking Pia to the delight of the anchors Sue Simmons and Tom Snyder. We never got the call back from NBC in time with an ok to use the clip. (I wanted an Easter Egg! ;-) )
That sounds fun. You should have slipped it in there as an Easter Egg.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #67

Dec 2011
Default Deadly Spawn

Yeah! I'm already trying to come up with a contest to win a DVD....
Old 02-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #68
Special Member

Nov 2008
Minnesota

Upload the review to YouTube. ;)
"I can't forgive myself for having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished. And the other is the phone book."
Old 02-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #69

Dec 2011
Default Deadly Spawn Review from Ain't It Cool News

DEADLY SPAWN: Millennium Edition (Blu Ray)

I love this film. I never got to see it back in the day, not until it hit DVD a few years back. But THE DEADLY SPAWN was shot on Super 16mm and blown up for 35mm – which happens to result in my favorite grain for film. There’s something about that process that just makes a film look amazing. THE DEADLY SPAWN is an awesome film geeks versus an alien threat film that is geeky awesome b-movie fun. There’s commentary, behind the scenes – but mostly what you get is a outrageously fun monster in the basement flick. Why is Blu-Ray important? For one – check out the set dressing. The geek gold is everywhere. Two: I love the detail of the fun puppets and b-movie gore. This is a ridiculously fun flick. A film to watch with friends. A film to have on hand for the month of October. Really really fun stuff.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #70
Banned

Dec 2011
LV-426

REALLY wanna check this out!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #71
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

My copy arrived today. I'm going to give it a spin after the kids go to bed.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #72

Dec 2011
Detroit

Back in stock at Amazon.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #73
Expert Member

Nov 2009

Are there any reviews for this out yet?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #74
Banned

Dec 2011
LV-426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncontrol View Post
No.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #75
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncontrol View Post
I watched the film last night (not the extras). I suppose this is a case of "doing the best they can with what they have to work with". There were quite a few pops/scratches throughout the film. It's the best I've ever seen it look, but it will disappoint the average viewer.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #76

Oct 2010
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
I watched the film last night (not the extras). I suppose this is a case of "doing the best they can with what they have to work with". There were quite a few pops/scratches throughout the film. It's the best I've ever seen it look, but it will disappoint the average viewer.

Yeah, a tremendous letdown. I guess my expectations should have been tempered considering they shot this on cheap 16 mm stock. It doesn't look like they spent a dime trying to clean this up as you see crackles and pops throughout the movie's entirety. I guess that's to be expected considering this is a real "niche" movie and would never make the money put into a total restoration back. The color has been boosted(for what it's worth it still looks very dull and drab) and it has been lightened from the earlier DVD copies which were always very dark. I checked the bit rate and it ranges from about 3.5(yes 3.5)-27Mbps with an average around 15 or so. They put out a special edition DVD about 7 or 8 years ago and this looks like they used that master and just upped the bit rate. The really strange part is the creature looks better than the actors. I know it sounds weird but it almost looked like different footage. Maybe filmed with better stock?

Truth be told, I was blown away when I saw this on VHS back in the 80's. The film makers should be applauded for making this on a reported $25,000 budget. Buy it if you don't have the special edition put out in 2004 but if you already own it you might want to stick to a rental.
TV: Zenith black and white 25 inch
Blu Ray Player: Betamax but might upgrade to VHS
A/V Receiver: My car gets AM/FM
Surround Speakers: One TV speaker on middle of set
Gaming: Atari 2600 with pong included
Remote: What the hell is a remote?!?

Last edited by john01824; 02-14-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #77

Dec 2011
Default Deadly Spawn

You see, there's the Catch 22. Every time I've mentioned about possibly cleaning up the film (removing scratches, grain, etc.) the overwhelming response was to leave it as it was...that is part of the era, the film stock, the charm, etc,etc. There was a little work done on it, but not so much to dissapoint anyone who wanted it kept in all its imperfect glory. (and believe me...at the studio they wanted to mess with EVERYTHING) Still, this is the best it ever looked. Thanks for keeping it alive! We're also talking about a re-make as well as a sequel and prequel....
Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #78
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

i dont think anyone is against removal of dirt and scratches, they arent supposed to be there. peoples concerns are with the removal of grain, which is supposed to be there.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:14 AM   #79

Oct 2010
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfxted View Post
Thanks for keeping it alive! We're also talking about a re-make as well as a sequel and prequel....

Thanks again for a great piece of cinema. This movie and the "Evil Dead" were two of my favorites growing up and just goes to show what you can do with a great story. I would love to see a remake and I still crack up when I see the old woman beating off the baby monsters in the original.
TV: Zenith black and white 25 inch
Blu Ray Player: Betamax but might upgrade to VHS
A/V Receiver: My car gets AM/FM
Surround Speakers: One TV speaker on middle of set
Gaming: Atari 2600 with pong included
Remote: What the hell is a remote?!?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 AM   #80
Banned

Dec 2011
LV-426

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
So you think I should add it to my collection? I never saw it before but it seems like my type of movie. This is the best it has ever looked right?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America