Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Fairy Tail: Part 11 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 09-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #1

Nov 2010
Post Over and under or side by side 3d format bluray movies

Which movies are over and under and have both side by side effects or just side by side i wil start first with ones I have seen that have both. Yogi wild safari sos wild ocean wild wave tahiti , avatar despicable me. Clash of twhe titans not much some ghosting. anyonewish to add anymore titles can all are wel come.
are we growing wiser or we just growing tall ?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #2

Nov 2010

I am 99.9 percent sure all side by side and over and under discs are copies.

None of my 15 3D-Blurays use either method.

Sky 3D uses the side by side method though.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #3

Jul 2010

Blu-ray 3D is frame-packed. If you have those titles in SBS or Over Under formats on disc, like mononokehime said, they are bootlegs.

I can think of a few titles released commercially in SBS mode:
Avatar XXX, Shock Labyrinth and a few girly videos from Asia.

Prior to Blu-ray 3D there were a few 3D DVD's released in the Sensio Side By Side format (SOS Planet is one).

Here is a link that explains the 3D formats:
http://proavmagazine.com/3d-technolo...-3d-video.aspx
Old 09-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

like the previous posters said BD uses neither it has both frames and uses a property in AVC called MVC Multiview Video Coding , Then the players output them in a format that works with the TV, so a player could be outputting one of those but it is not how it is saved on a BD disk (then again depending on the player other choices are possible as well).
Old 09-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #5

Aug 2008
Lightbulb

There are quite a few 3D side-by-side actually, but most of them are adult titles, like the one mentioned above from Hustler: Avatar-XXX. I don't know if they released the others in SbS as well, like Ghostbusters-XXX, Conan the Barbarian-XXX, Dracula-XXX, X-Men-XXX, Harry Potter-XXX, and a few in the Gay-genre, but I don't know those titles (I think Whorry Potter is one of them). Soon, we will see Terminator-XXX, Flashdance-XXX, The Wizard of Oz-XXX, and in January 2012 Jaws-XXX will be released.

Also, a few 'soft'-titles from Germany are released in SbS, and a few nature/aquarium/fireplace titles from Germany as well. And ... there is the (terible) Magical Forest one, where (only) the English version is in the Over-Under format (and in Anaglyph), while the German version is in the proper Blu-ray 3D format (frame packaged).

Just so you'll know .
Old 09-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #6

Apr 2011

Out of interest. I think I have b**tlegs of Under The Sea and Deep Sea and appear to be SBS. Can someone tell me, would the SBS look inferior to the proper 3D blu releases? I am not impressed with either of the movies 3D wise, yet everyone raves about em. Could this be because I am viewing them in inferior modes?
LG 42LW550T, Panny DMP-BDT310, Onkyo TX-SR507, Energy Take Connoisseur Classic
Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #7

Nov 2010
Ive seen some of the movies through comcast cable. And some show either side by side or top and bottom some movies in 3d . Avatar is shown as side by side on hbo 3d.

Last edited by ghostdrknss74; 09-04-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #8

Nov 2010
Can it be that through cable they switch the format and some dont look as good as when purchased. Can anyone answer. Please
Old 09-05-2011, 04:00 AM   #9

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerik View Post
would the SBS look inferior to the proper 3D blu releases?
Yes, in SbS, your resolution of 1920x1080 is cut in half: 960x1080 per eye, so half the quality compared to frame packed 3D (the Blu-ray 3D standard) which has a total frame of 1920x2160 (plus a few extra black pixels), which results in 1920x1080 (full HD) PER eye.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #10

Dec 2012
United Kingdom confused about over-under and side by side 3d

I have read this thread and am confused,
all the movies on sky 3d are side by side(half-sbs), and I choose side by side icon on my samsung 3d tv and the movie changes from a side by side image to a 3d image(one on top of the other as we all know) if I want to watch a 3d bluray disk in my 3d dvd/bluray player the tv automaticaly goes to 3d(one on top of the other) .if I want to watch a downloaded 3d 1080p bluray movie file I have to choose either side by side(half-sbs) or over-under(halfou) from the tv 3d setup screen. I downloaded madagascar3 in both half-sbs 1080p bluray and halfou 1080p bluray "imax" (both .mkv files) to see,which I thought was best. the halfou was better 3d effect,there was more depth and things seemed
to jump out of the tv further(if you know what I mean).this is compaird to
3d from sky and also a toy story bluray disk. I will try more In time.
the thing that is confusing me is, on my 3d tv I have three choices of 3d format, side by side, over-under or a 2d to 3d conversion(for converting normal tv to 3d tv...not bad when watching hdtv)
I have looked at the link in the thread and it seems to only mention side by side and over-under.
so what is a dvd/bluray disk? it must be either side by side or over-under,
its my guess that normal 3d bluray disks ore side by side and "imax"3d disks are over-under, I have watched 3d in cinemas and the "imax"3d wins hands down for depth and scary jumpy out things,(that is why I recon halfou 3d is
"imax"3d), I had better stop there,I am confusing myself more,ha,ha.
hope you all can understand me,(I am in england by the way).
cheers.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #11

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by afpe45 View Post
I have looked at the link in the thread and it seems to only mention side by side and over-under.
so what is a dvd/bluray disk? it must be either side by side or over-under,
its my guess that normal 3d bluray disks ore side by side and "imax"3d disks are over-under, I have watched 3d in cinemas and the "imax"3d wins hands down for depth and scary jumpy out things,(that is why I recon halfou 3d is
"imax"3d), I had better stop there,I am confusing myself more,ha,ha.
hope you all can understand me,(I am in england by the way).
cheers.
I think I understand you.

Proper Blu-Ray 3D discs are neither side-by-side or over/under; the images for each eye are interleaved. Here's a quick and dirty explanation (that overlooks technical explanations and details):

The frame rate of a proper 3D Blu-Ray is double that of a normal 2D Blu-Ray; instead of a 24 (or 30) frames-per-second 2D image (for example), you're actually watching a movie that has 48 (or 60) frames per second, with a frame for the left eye alternating with a frame for the right eye, and so on. The TV you're using will either show these frames in sequence (active 3D sets; the glasses use shutters to alternate back and forth between eyes, allowing the proper frames to be seen by the proper eye) or interlace the two frames on one screen (passive sets; the description is difficult to do in simple terms without invoking physics terms... essentially, every line on your TV is "polarized" in one direction or another, in alternating order. The TV shows a left-eye frame and right-eye frame simultaneously, with lines from the left-eye frame displayed on display lines polarized in one direction, and lines from the right-eye frame displayed on lines polarized in the other direction. The glasses are similarly polarized for left/right, and each eye's lens will only let polarized light for the correct eye pass through.).

The 3D you're been using -- SBS and under/over -- is not able to take advantage of 48 (60) frames-per-second that allow proper 3D to be full-resolution. You're watching a 24 (or 30) FPS image; the TV must then split each frame in half, stretch the half-image to proper ratio, and serve each to the proper eye. The result is a resolution half that of a 3D BD.

3D effects you've noticed in IMAX and current 3D -- and the difference in 3D effects -- are less due to the 3D, and more due to cinematographic/directorial choices. Some directors choose to be conservative with their 3D, not having lots of things popping out, etc., while IMAX tends to be more daring, choosing to have "in your face!" 3D. It's a style choice.
Formats currently playable in media set-up: Blu Ray 3D, Blu Ray, DVD, Video CD, Laserdisc, Laseractive, CD Video, CED, VHD, 3D VHD, Betamax, CD, CD+G, audio cassette, vinyl, Atari 2600, Commodore 64/128. No VHS!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
Special Member

Aug 2011

This really isn't the place for you to be talking about your pirated movies.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #13

Dec 2012

to Student Driver.
thanks a lot for your reply,I totaly understand now,no need to experiment with .mkv downloads.
in the cinema its Imax for me.
thanks again xx.(if that is your photo)where were you when I was younger,ha,ha.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #14

Dec 2012

to keb33509.
sorry it did look like I was downloading pirated movies....I was, but only a couple of
each format to test, as I said I was confused and didnt understand the side by side
and over and under on my tv compaired to the brillient(in my mind) Imax.
I watched a movie on sky, madagascar3, then my son wen't to see the same movie in an Imax cinema,and I went with him as I love the madagascar series,and noticed the better
depth and things jumping out at me,that is what 3d is about to me,dinosours biting your head off and sharks lunging out at you,all good fun. I also noticed that on the tv,annimated films seem to have more depth than ones with us humans in them,
that is down to the film makers choice as student driver said I suppose.
I think that covers it.
cheers.
cheers.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #15

Feb 2012
Canada

Some sports 3D Blu-rays are all SBS.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:04 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerik View Post
Out of interest. I think I have b**tlegs of Under The Sea and Deep Sea and appear to be SBS. Can someone tell me, would the SBS look inferior to the proper 3D blu releases? I am not impressed with either of the movies 3D wise, yet everyone raves about em. Could this be because I am viewing them in inferior modes?
The main difference with Side by side is the resolution taking a dip in quality. Other than that, the 3D can be just as strong.

Also, most independent studios that don't have the resources to frame pack MVC encode a blu ray, tend to go with the affordable SBS or TB format for 3D on DVD or Blu Ray, playable on 3DTVs.

But as others said above, all big budget studios release Imax and motion pictures without the need to set options to SBS or TB on the 3DTV.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies