Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Default The Pebble and the Penguin - October 11, 2011

The Pebble and the Penguin Blu-ray

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment will bring the 1995 Don Bluth film, The Pebble and the Penguin to Blu-ray on October 11th.

This MGM animated musical is based on the mating rituals of Adélie Penguins living in Antarctica. In the film, Hubie (voiced by Martin Short) fights for the heart of his true love Marina, while Drake (Tim Curry), a much larger and lustful male does whatever he can to push Hubie aside and take Marina for himself.

Upon its release back in 1995, The Pebble and the Penguin failed to attract both an audience and critical acclaim, thus keeping it from recouping its budget. Now it is often overlooked in favor of other Don Bluth and Gary Goldman productions, such as An American Tail and Anastasia.

The Blu-ray for The Pebble and the Penguin will feature DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. Special features will include:

No Stone Unturned: Making-of Featurette
Now and Forever: Music Featurette
Theatrical Trailer

Pre-orders for the animated film are now available on Amazon with a starting SRP of $19.99.
Trust No One

Last edited by Deciazulado; 10-21-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Detroit, MI

I used to love this movie when I was younger. I think I will have to pick it up for nostalgia reasons
Hate Kills Us All
Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
USA
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmg View Post
20th Century Fox Home Entertainment will bring the 1995 Don Bluth film, The Pebble and the Penguin to Blu-ray on October 11th.

This MGM animated musical is based on the mating rituals of Adélie Penguins living in Antarctica. In the film, Hubie (voiced by Martin Short) fights for the heart of his true love Marina, while Drake (Tim Curry), a much larger and lustful male does whatever he can to push Hubie aside and take Marina for himself.

Upon its release back in 1995, The Pebble and the Penguin failed to attract both an audience and critical acclaim, thus keeping it from recouping its budget. Now it is often overlooked in favor of other Don Bluth and Gary Goldman productions, such as An American Tail and Anastasia.

The Blu-ray for The Pebble and the Penguin will feature DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. Special features will include:

No Stone Unturned: Making-of Featurette
Now and Forever: Music Featurette
Theatrical Trailer

Pre-orders for the animated film are now available on Amazon with a starting SRP of $19.99.
Thanks for the info.

I actually just got the 2-pack of Pebble and the Penguin/ Rock A Doodle on dvd a couple of weeks ago. I was looking forever for Rock A Doodle, so when I found it, I couldnt pass. Plus it was only $5 at walmart.

I have actually never seen Pebble and the Penguin. I may go ahead and get the blu ray next month.
St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Rams fan.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #4

Jul 2011
Louisiana

Day 1. Loved this movie as a kid and still do today.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #5

Dec 2010

I don't suppose anyone has picked this one up yet. I'm curious to hear how the movie looks both compared to previous DVDs and compared to the Blus of Secret of NIMH and All Dogs Go to Heaven.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #6

Apr 2010

Now all we need is Balto, wasn't that Bluth?
32in. (I think) Sony Bravia
Old 10-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #7

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluNaco View Post
Now all we need is Balto, wasn't that Bluth?
Nope, that was Spielberg's short-lived animation studio Amblimation, the same group behind "Fievel Goes West" and "We're Back."
Old 10-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
USA

Saw this tonight at Walmart for $10, but I didn't pick it up. It's not one of my favorite Bluth titles but I'll get it when I can get it for less than $10, with an online coupon or something.
Visit my blog Ghibli Guide or follow me on Twitter for the latest Studio Ghibli news!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #9

Jul 2011
Louisiana

Can anyone of the 12 people on here got this movie tell me how the pq is?
Think With Portals!
PSN: MARDixGRaS_KiNG .
Old 10-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #10

Oct 2008
Send a message via MSN to F-Man

Holy crap only 12? x_x

I thought the PQ was decent. Of course it's no Disney, and there's dust, but it's better than Secret of NIMH. Two things annoyed me though. During the opening song over music sheets, there are two big dots of what I think is dust that stay near the center of the screen for a while and it's nearly impossible to take your eyes off them.

And the worst thing, at the beginning of one of my favorite scenes, the screen goes blurry for a second. Just checked and apparently the DVD did this too.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:02 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femmeslover View Post
Can anyone of the 12 people on here got this movie tell me how the pq is?
I think it's more like 6 since the other 6 have it in their wishlist.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #12
Expert Member

Feb 2011

I just watch the one I DVR a few days ago since this isn't doesn't seem like they an effort on this blu-ray I wait for more comments from fans that bought it
Old 10-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

MGM used to run this regularly on their HD movie channel. The print looked okay, but do not expect a pristine image like the Disney releases.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #14

Jan 2012
South Texas

I bought a copy from wal-mart and the audio is way off. The picture is fine but the only sound I can hear is people talking in the background. The audio does not match the picture. I am running it off a samsung 3d player. I'm very disappointed...
Old 05-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #15
Special Member

Dec 2010

Worth $5?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #16

Dec 2012
Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookymeister View Post
Worth $5?
I think it is I bought it last week at bestbuy for $5 the picture quality is pretty good and the audio is good also.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
Power Member

Apr 2011

Hmmm... I'm not a huge Don Bluth fan--The only films I was planning to add to my collection were The Secret of NIMH, and Anastasia, as well as The Land Before Time and An American Tail when (if) those get BD releases.

But seeing some of these lesser ones (this, All Dog's Go To Heaven, Thumbelina) for $4.99, I'm wondering if I should bite.... Are any of these worth purchasing without having any nostalgia for them?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #18

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
Hmmm... I'm not a huge Don Bluth fan--The only films I was planning to add to my collection were The Secret of NIMH, and Anastasia, as well as The Land Before Time and An American Tail when (if) those get BD releases.

But seeing some of these lesser ones (this, All Dog's Go To Heaven, Thumbelina) for $4.99, I'm wondering if I should bite.... Are any of these worth purchasing without having any nostalgia for them?
Definitely pick up All Dogs Go To Heaven. That was the last great Don Bluth film from the 80's. Be forewarned, the movie is very dark for its time, but it is still very enjoyable. I am 30 years old and I just watched this for the first time in 15 years with my 7 year old son and it still holds up after all these years.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

All Bluth movies in-between The Land Before Time and Anastasia are kiddie krap. Well-animated kiddie krap, but still.
First, ye rubs something furry t'get a charge...then ye picks yer target...!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America