Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

May 2004
Default The Terminator BD Review thread

http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev...pe=date_posted
Old 06-16-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

May 2004
Thumbs up

Sounds like the best disc so far with comments like:

Quote:
Iím happy to report that the Blu-Ray release is jaw-dropping.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #3

May 2006
USA

4... more... days...

I can't wait for somebody to buy it, and start commenting in this thread!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
Power Member

Aug 2005
Sheffield, UK

Sounds awesome!
Old 06-17-2006, 05:48 AM   #5

Jun 2006

Quote:
Iím happy to report that the Blu-Ray release is jaw-dropping. Colors are accurate, so accurate that I sometimes wondered if I was watching a brand new release and not a film that is 22 years old. A majority of the grain has been cleared away giving the filmís setting and theme a more horrifying and terrifying feel as the Terminator chases Sarah and Reese. The 1:85:1 Aspect Ratio brings new life to an old classic as former scenes that looked gritty and dirty (the TechNoir and the final factory setting) look completely new and fresh. Flesh tones are spot on giving new meaning to how scary this machine really easy. For a visual feast, at least in my own eyes, look to the scene where the Terminator is repairing himself after his run in with Sarah and Reese. Talk about crystal clarity on his endoskeleton. Ladies and Gentlemen, Blu-Ray has arrived and itís off to a fine, albeit delayed, start.
Holy schniekies! They even said the PCM sounded good. Although if Sony doesn't start putting in DD-HD and DTS-HD, I will be very angry.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #6

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmallet
Holy schniekies! They even said the PCM sounded good. Although if Sony doesn't start putting in DD-HD and DTS-HD, I will be very angry.
DD-HD and DTS-HD will sound no better than PCM. The advantage of DD-HD and DTS-HD will that they should sound identical to PCM, but use less disc space.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:38 PM   #7

Jan 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd
DD-HD and DTS-HD will sound no better than PCM. The advantage of DD-HD and DTS-HD will that they should sound identical to PCM, but use less disc space.
Yeah but it is a psychological thing, people (including me) just want to see the logo's on the cover, and know that those options are available.

And then there is another thing that keeps going through my mind. 'Will all the (cheaper) HD receivers be able to process PCM HD?'
Old 06-18-2006, 11:38 PM   #8
Banned

Jun 2006
Denver CO

Never really liked Terminator. The third movie on the other hand was awesome.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #9

Feb 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainman
And then there is another thing that keeps going through my mind. 'Will all the (cheaper) HD receivers be able to process PCM HD?'

if you have multi channgel inputs, you can. Also the newer ones accept pcm over the hdmi port. This way you can use your receivers processing (level, eq, delay) with the pcm. I think im gonna wait till onkyo puts out a new receiver with pcm over hdmi.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:31 PM   #10

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainman
Yeah but it is a psychological thing, people (including me) just want to see the logo's on the cover, and know that those options are available.

I suggest you read my post here. Sound Formats

Generally DD+, DD-TrueHD, and DTS-HD will all be converted to high resolution PCM in the Blu-ray player. Only in very limited circumstances will these formats be output directly from the player (only discs that permit this, and only when playing the movie only, meaning no button sounds and no commentary). The Blu-ray player will be capable of passing the multi-channel PCM to the receiver by HDMI (best choice), down convert it to standard DD or DTS and pass that to the receiver, or convert the PCM to analog internally for analog multi-channel outputs.

Actually the cheaper HD audio receivers will probably more likely have multi-channel PCM capability than they will to accept DD-TrueHD, and DTS-HD directly.

In all reality, it is likely that the ONLY downside of these Blu-ray discs having a PCM soundtrack is that it uses more disc space than a lossless compression track such as DD-TrueHD or DTS-HD. Unfortunately the Dolby and DTS names have acheived such a psychological impact that many won't realize this, and this may hurt early disc sales.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 06-19-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Okay, is The Terminator worth $14.95 @ Amazon or not (A/V quality).

Looking for stuff to buy for today's buy-a-thon thingy.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

Yes it definitely is worth $15.

The sound is a massive improvement over the DVD and I find the PQ to be damn fine too.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Never really liked Terminator. The third movie on the other hand was awesome.
Odd, T2 is one of my most favorite movies. As much as I wanted T3 to become my new fav, it didn't.

I been putting off buying 1 and 3. I want all three at once. I didn't see it on the link, is T3 the one coming out?
Proud founder of the blu-bloods.
Use "blu-blood" in your signature and become an elite user.

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43882
Old 09-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #14

Aug 2007
Send a message via ICQ to haste Send a message via AIM to haste

I was very impressed by the PQ in this movie considering how old it is.
Definitely a must buy for Terminator fans!

Running on a PS3 on a 1080p Philips 42" LCD.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Terminator looks good for its age. I haven't watched them in a while, but I believe it shows more detail than T2. I do think Lionsgate might have dropped the ball on T2.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #16

Aug 2007
The Negative Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron3 View Post
Odd, T2 is one of my most favorite movies. As much as I wanted T3 to become my new fav, it didn't.

I been putting off buying 1 and 3. I want all three at once. I didn't see it on the link, is T3 the one coming out?
T3 seemed like a waste to me although I did sort of like the bleak ending it painted as it was actually something of a surprise.

The version of T2 on Blu-Ray is only the theatrical cut, correct?

T2 is one of my favorite movies, but only the extended version. I thought the added scenes really helped the story and I have no desire to ever see the theatrical cut again. In all honesty, I want all 3 versions like the DVD version I own, with the option to see the extended cut with even more scenes and the "Future Coda" ending that would have ruled out a sequel.

Likewise, I'll never buy the theatrical cut of The Abyss since the director's cut actually makes the movie make sense.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

T2 is theatrical only

T3's ending was fantastic. All it says to me is "T4: Future War-yes we're finally doing the payoff you all wanted for 25 years"
Old 09-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007
PSNetwork: groovyone

This thread confused the hell out of me. I thought there must be a reissue coming or something, and here I had just bought it!

I also loved the end of T3.

Last edited by groovyone; 09-18-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2006
New Brighton, MN

I loved the ending on T3. Beltrami's score was perfect for the ending.
- Players Used: Sony BDP-S570 / PS3 (ID: Jackal1985)
- Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR808
- Speakers: Klipsch Synergy 1 Series (7)
- Subs: 2 Yamaha YST-SW315
- TV: Panasonic TH-58PZ800u Plasma
Old 09-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post
T2 is theatrical only

T3's ending was fantastic. All it says to me is "T4: Future War"-yes we're finally doing the payoff you all wanted for 25 years"
I have been waiting for a "Future War" version of Terminator since forever! C'mon, that dirty gritty war with T-800's. No mercy. Most fun sci-fi war flick ever!

Technically, you could probably get 2 movies like that. The last one is where John Conner sends the T-800 back to 1984. Total of 5 movies. What do we call that, a septilogy?
Proud founder of the blu-bloods.
Use "blu-blood" in your signature and become an elite user.

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43882
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America