Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Old School (Blu-ray)
$5.20
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 04:13 AM   #41
oildude oildude is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
oildude's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Texas, at the bottom of a well 21,000 ft down
1583
155
16
Default

Great movie! I won't have to order the UK version now. And it is a digibook.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:23 AM   #42
Scooter1836 Scooter1836 is online now
Special Member
 
Jul 2010
2050
214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmg View Post
A slipcover for a digibook? Did it happen to other digibooks before?
Slip cases, yes...Indiana Jones KotS and Bridge Over the River Kwai
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #43
lkmg lkmg is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
lkmg's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
172
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter1836 View Post
Slip cases, yes...Indiana Jones KotS and Bridge Over the River Kwai
Ok, slipcase. Now I understand.
Trust No One
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #44
lkmg lkmg is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
lkmg's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
172
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
The U.K. cover art is much better.
I actually quite like US digibook cover art. If would be great if there is indeed a slipcase coming with it.
Trust No One
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #45
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->264
39
1661
127
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmg View Post
I actually quite like US digibook cover art. If would be great if there is indeed a slipcase coming with it.
Yeah, but the U.K. slipcover is partially glossy. As Borat would say, "Very nice."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #46
rickah88 rickah88 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
rickah88's Avatar
 
May 2010
Columbia, MD
1971
187
89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
The U.K. cover art is much better.
In your opinion, yes. I actually like this version much better...and digi-book too! I love digi-books.
What were the extras on the UK version? Can you post a back cover pic?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #47
lkmg lkmg is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
lkmg's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
172
6
Default

Looks real nice to me.

Trust No One
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #48
Grand Bob Grand Bob is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Grand Bob's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Seattle Area
9
1
Default

Another movie that I have been waiting for a long time. I saw this in the theater when it was first released (1970?) - a World War II movie featuring real (not computer-generated) planes. I rank this in the same class as Battle of Britain.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #49
raygendreau raygendreau is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Oct 2008
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Bob View Post
Another movie that I have been waiting for a long time. I saw this in the theater when it was first released (1970?) - a World War II movie featuring real (not computer-generated) planes. I rank this in the same class as Battle of Britain.
Re Battle of Britain, no real Stukas were used. While "real" rather than CGI, they were models.

"The Junkers 87 Stuka dive bombers used in the film are model airplanes filmed in Malta, the only ones not real (the Percival Prentice aircraft which had been modified to represent Junkers 87 aircraft were found to be too dangerous to use). Their dive-bombing technique is not very real: Stukas will usually dive to 60-90º and release their bombs while diving (not pulling up). "

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064072/trivia

Re Tora, Tora, Tora: While 30 "real" planes were used, the 30+ Zeros were actually modified Texan T-6's. There was extensive use of models for the ships and planes as well.

http://www.december7.com/1941/Classi...nes/index.html

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviati...rier/index.htm

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/tora/ships.htm

There is always some "movie magic" involved, but it is a must have for me as well.

Last edited by raygendreau; 09-10-2011 at 07:50 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #50
Grand Bob Grand Bob is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Grand Bob's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Seattle Area
9
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygendreau View Post
Re Battle of Britain, no real Stukas were used. While "real" rather than CGI, they were models.

"The Junkers 87 Stuka dive bombers used in the film are model airplanes filmed in Malta, the only ones not real (the Percival Prentice aircraft which had been modified to represent Junkers 87 aircraft were found to be too dangerous to use). Their dive-bombing technique is not very real: Stukas will usually dive to 60-90º and release their bombs while diving (not pulling up). "

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064072/trivia

Re Tora, Tora, Tora: While 30 "real" planes were used, the 30+ Zeros were actually modified Texan T-6's. There was extensive use of models for the ships and planes as well.

http://www.december7.com/1941/Classi...nes/index.html

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviati...rier/index.htm

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/tora/ships.htm

There is always some "movie magic" involved, but it is a must have for me as well.
Thanks for the info and links. I have seen both movies many times and always thought the Stukas were real. Also, I assumed that the Zeros were real and belonged to the equivalent of a "Japanese World War II Pilot's Association", or some kind of historic re-enactment club.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #51
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->264
39
1661
127
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
In your opinion, yes. I actually like this version much better...and digi-book too! I love digi-books.
What were the extras on the UK version? Can you post a back cover pic?
The extras are actually in PAL, but it didn't matter to me as I have seen all of the extras before. WWII is one of my areas of expertise.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #52
Taipan Taipan is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Oct 2010
Rocky mountain Frontrange
470
4
Hungary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Yeah, but the U.K. slipcover is partially glossy. As Borat would say, "Very nice."
Slipcovers play third fiddle to digibooks and steelbooks.

Slipovers are just not as cool.
If you are violent you are weak, for violence has no mind.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #53
rickah88 rickah88 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
rickah88's Avatar
 
May 2010
Columbia, MD
1971
187
89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
The extras are actually in PAL, but it didn't matter to me as I have seen all of the extras before. WWII is one of my areas of expertise.
I was just curious so as to compare the two releases, and see which one(if any) boasts more extra features.
For this release, especially, I will definitely be buying USA all the way!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #54
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->264
39
1661
127
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
I was just curious so as to compare the two releases, and see which one(if any) boasts more extra features.
For this release, especially, I will definitely be buying USA all the way!
I might bite on the U.S. digibook if I can find it for less than $20 somewhere, which can be tough with digibooks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #55
ImportFanatic ImportFanatic is offline
Expert Member
 
ImportFanatic's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
United States
478
29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Yeah, but the U.K. slipcover is partially glossy. As Borat would say, "Very nice."
Ruined by multiple rating logos...
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #56
rickah88 rickah88 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
rickah88's Avatar
 
May 2010
Columbia, MD
1971
187
89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I might bite on the U.S. digibook if I can find it for less than $20 somewhere, which can be tough with digibooks.
Okay. Again, could I PLEEEEASE get a listing of the UK extras?!?!?!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #57
wilky61 wilky61 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
wilky61's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Atlanta, GA
10
24
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Okay. Again, could I PLEEEEASE get a listing of the UK extras?!?!?!
Here is a copy/paste from an Amazon customer review. I've never seen this movie before, so I'm gonna check it out and import it with the upcoming UK release of Being John Malkovich if I like it. It's currently priced at like 5.7 GBP after the VAT is subtracted.

I would full heatedly agree with the other very favourable reviews of both content and picture quality. No one seems to have mentioned that on the Blu-ray there is an excellent collection of ten short Fox Movietonews Items. The documentary 'A day of Infamy' which was on the DVD is also included. Also 'History vs Hollywood Tora Tora Tora A giant Awakes' and 'AMC Backstory' which tell of the making of and that for once how the American Studio tried to truthfully recreate what had actually happened rather than pervert the path of truth to show how heroic and single handed Americans had won the last war. You have to remember that this film was made before the days of CGI and real planes were built specially for the film. The next evening after watching Tora Tora Tora I watched 'Pearl Harbour',it's too much love story /relationships and though the attack on Pearl Harbour is more dramatic, is does rather look like an arcade game! Highly recommended to those who like the film and worth the upgrade from DVD especially for the very interesting extras.
Chronic Post Editor: If this post is fewer than five minutes old, then I am probably still revising it.

Noob Audiophile: MusicBee > HRT Music Streamer II+ > Matrix M-Stage (2x OPA602BP) > AKG Q701
My Music
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #58
Pirate King Pirate King is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Pirate King's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Texas
25
1486
4
Default

I can finally replace my DVD. YES!

This is an exceptional film.
Drink up, me arties, Yo Ho……

Sony KDSR70XBR2 70", Pioneer Elite BDP95FD Blu Ray player, Pioneer Elite VSX92THX Receiver, SVS 5.1 Speaker System: SVS MTS-01 (Left and Right), SVS MCS-01 (Center), SVS MBS-01 (Surrounds), SVS PB13 Ultra (Sub)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #59
manicsounds manicsounds is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
manicsounds's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Tokyo
1415
92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
The extras are actually in PAL, but it didn't matter to me as I have seen all of the extras before. WWII is one of my areas of expertise.
Extras are not in PAL on the UK release. NTSC compatible for all the extras.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #60
KrugerIndustrial KrugerIndustrial is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
KrugerIndustrial's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
-
-
1
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmg View Post
Looks real nice to me.

This looks way better than the UK slipcover. French art cover comes close though. Hard to choose which one to pick up hmm...


Big question remains, is this going to be fully region free?
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:34 AM.