Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
The Birds (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$15.79
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99
No Holds Barred (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Default Star Trek TOS or Twilight Zone? Which series should I buy?

I’m a big fan of The Twilight Zone, but never really watched Star Trek: The Original Series. Since I’ve heard nothing but great things about it, I was thinking of possibly blind buying the seasons. And yes, I love Sci-Fi.

The thing is, I would prefer to get only one show (Twilight Zone OR Star Trek) because of the cost. So, I need help deciding.

Which Sci-Fi show should I buy on Blu-ray: The Twilight Zone or Star Trek TOS? Which do you think is better?

Thanks for the help!
TV: Samsung LN32A450
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS77H
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
Old 09-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #2

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I’m a big fan of The Twilight Zone, but never really watched Star Trek: The Original Series. Since I’ve heard nothing but great things about it, I was thinking of possibly blind buying the seasons. And yes, I love Sci-Fi.

The thing is, I would prefer to get only one show (Twilight Zone OR Star Trek) because of the cost. So, I need help deciding.

Which Sci-Fi show should I buy on Blu-ray: The Twilight Zone or Star Trek TOS? Which do you think is better?

Thanks for the help!

Well, the entire show isn't in one package for either of them, so you should mix and match seasons if you don't want your eggs in one basket.

For TOS, it's a bit of a toss up between season 1 & 2: Season 1 introduced a ton of brilliant concepts and you can watch the evolution of the actors getting their feet under the characters.

Season 2 has a bunch more classics, and some of the best shows in the series - like season 1.

For TZ, that's harder because of all the great actors that went through that show. I'd say you probably can't go wrong with Season 1 there either, and I'm not familiar enough with the season differences off the top of my head to recommend one after that.

Each season is basically 50 bucks, and I believe you can watch all for free on CBS or Hulu...
Old 09-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

That's like asking to pick a favorite child. Both are great shows that are on fantastic BD sets.

If I were you, I'd start picking up the TZ sets (since you know you love that show). You won't be disappointed and there are tons of interesting bonus materials included.

While doing that, why not start checking out ST episodes online for free?
http://www.startrek.com/videos/star-...riginal-series

If you like it, you know what to ask Santa for this year...
Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
Colorado, USA
-

I love both shows and they are awesome on blu! I would buy TZ since you know that you already like it. Blind buys at that price point are silly, especially if there are shows you KNOW that you like and don't already own.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post
That's like asking to pick a favorite child. Both are great shows that are on fantastic BD sets.

If I were you, I'd start picking up the TZ sets (since you know you love that show). You won't be disappointed and there are tons of interesting bonus materials included.

While doing that, why not start checking out ST episodes online for free?
http://www.startrek.com/videos/star-...riginal-series

If you like it, you know what to ask Santa for this year...
Thanks. I'll check that site out.

As for asking Santa this year, I'm afraid that's out of the question. I haven't been good this year.
TV: Samsung LN32A450
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS77H
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Special Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

I LOVE both shows -- and both have exceptional blu-ray releases. With that said though, I would vote for Twilight Zone. For someone like you that has never seen the show Star Trek can have a higher "cheese factor." Sadly, not every modern viewer can look past the more dated elements (fx, uniforms, Kirk's romances, etc) to see the very strong stories. Twilight Zone on the other hand has more of a timeless quality. Many of the shows deal with ordinary people in extraordinary situations and remain more easily relatable to new audiences.

I love both shows, though and recommend them both highly.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Las Vegas, NV

I love them both, but I have to go with Star Trek on this one!
Link to all my custom covers
Updated: 12/6/2012

Feel free to add / subscribe me:

YouTube: OneUltimateWarrior
Facebook: Slushy The Penguin
Twitter: TheMachoPunk
Old 09-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
So Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieray1 View Post
I LOVE both shows -- and both have exceptional blu-ray releases. With that said though, I would vote for Twilight Zone. For someone like you that has never seen the show Star Trek can have a higher "cheese factor." Sadly, not every modern viewer can look past the more dated elements (fx, uniforms, Kirk's romances, etc) to see the very strong stories. Twilight Zone on the other hand has more of a timeless quality. Many of the shows deal with ordinary people in extraordinary situations and remain more easily relatable to new audiences.

The Blu-ray release of TOS comes with enhanced FX. Well worth it IMO.
There simply is no other place on the internet. Blu-ray.com
If you are not paying for the best you are getting ripped of by the worst.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
Colorado, USA
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieray1 View Post

Nicely said
Old 01-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Now would be a great time to pick up The Twilight Zone. It's $152.99 for the entire series, today only, on Amazon. That's less an one dollar per episode.

Star Trek TOS (all three seasons) was one of my first BD acquisitions when I got my player back in 2009. 20 discs of fantastic quality. To date, one of my best BD purchases.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

I say both, but since TZ is on sale today, jump on that first.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Definitely both. You can't go wrong with Roddenberry or Serling.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #13

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

Starting today from scratch... definitely go for the TZ blus at the bundle sale price.

And as many have already said, you should still pick up the ST TOS seasons eventually.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

I'm a big fan of both shows, but I'm going to say The Twilight Zone.

Star Trek kinda looses its quality and edge in the third season, whereas The Twilight Zone is pretty consistent throughout. I personally think The Twilight Zone is the better series overall for this reason.

Also, the price can't be beat right now.
2012 favs: Prometheus, Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, Universal Classic Monsters, The Terminator (UK), E.T. (digibook), JAWS (digibook), Walking Dead Season 2 w/ Zombie Head, Full Metal Jacket (digibook), Star Trek TNG Season 1, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Casablanca, Game of Thrones Season 1, Cleopatra (UK)
Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Ohio

Twilight Zone shows are too short IMO, Star Trek all the way!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #16
Power Member

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

STAR-freakin'-TREK. 100%
Old 01-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
Twilight Zone shows are too short IMO, Star Trek all the way!
Well content wise, Twilight Zone has 156 episodes. Star Trek TOS has 79. Some of Twilight Zone's episodes (all of season 4) are an hour long. You're really looking at about the same amount of actual viewing time between the two.
2012 favs: Prometheus, Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, Universal Classic Monsters, The Terminator (UK), E.T. (digibook), JAWS (digibook), Walking Dead Season 2 w/ Zombie Head, Full Metal Jacket (digibook), Star Trek TNG Season 1, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Casablanca, Game of Thrones Season 1, Cleopatra (UK)
Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Detroit, MI

Twilight Zone, all the way
Hate Kills Us All
Old 01-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Get "The Prisoner" on Blu-ray first before those shows. I do love the original Star Trek and Twilight Zone, but they get replayed endlessly on television.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #20
Expert Member

Mar 2008
Austin, Tx

I would get The Twilight Zone since Star Trek has basically the same characters throught out as opposed to The Twilight Zone having different characters and stories in all the episodes. Both are great to own but like I said I would buy The Twilight Zone due to variety.
“We're so self-important. So arrogant. Everybody's going to save something now. And the supreme arrogance? Save the planet! Are these people kidding? We don't even know how to take care of ourselves; we haven't learned how to care for one another. . . . And, by the way, there's nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The people are f#@%ed!"- George Carlin
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America