COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
All That Jazz (Blu-ray)
$25.46
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Archer: The Complete Season Three (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$40.18
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Musketeers: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Books/eBooks

Old 09-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Lexington, KY

My wife loves her Nook.
"MIDNIGHT MADNESS" & "PLOTDIGGER FILMS" SUPER FAN

Plotdigger Films: 3 (blu) 48 (dvd) 11 (VHS)
Midnight Madness: 0 (blu) 2 (dvd) 2 (VHS) 1 (Beta)
Old 09-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
CNET's not taking into account the fact you can root the Nook Color, install full blown Android, and overclock it. Other than that, I agree with their assesment. I only have a Sony touch because the first edition Nook was verboten in Canada, and B&N refused to sell them to us. We got the Nook Colors through Best Buy, just to be on the safe side, as Best Buy doesn't care if you're a Canadian buying electronics in a B&M US store. I got the older model of the Sony touch on clearance last year, for the same price as the new Nook eInk only device, and haven't had issues with it. I also went with it because my mom bought it first, and it, at the time, was one of the few with touch interface, read the most formats, and I knew how it worked. Now 90% of them have touch interface with eInk. Initially we were going to get Kobos, because Chapters hyped them up so much before release. Then we did a comparison and found the Sony was better. Not so much now, Sony's behind in eReaders. The new ones look promising though, esp if you get a Harry Potter edition, all 7 books preloaded on it!

I'd recommend going to Best Buy and playing around with them, before you commit to buying one.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianGraham View Post
CNET's not taking into account the fact you can root the Nook Color, install full blown Android, and overclock it. Other than that, I agree with their assesment. I only have a Sony touch because the first edition Nook was verboten in Canada, and B&N refused to sell them to us. We got the Nook Colors through Best Buy, just to be on the safe side, as Best Buy doesn't care if you're a Canadian buying electronics in a B&M US store. I got the older model of the Sony touch on clearance last year, for the same price as the new Nook eInk only device, and haven't had issues with it. I also went with it because my mom bought it first, and it, at the time, was one of the few with touch interface, read the most formats, and I knew how it worked. Now 90% of them have touch interface with eInk. Initially we were going to get Kobos, because Chapters hyped them up so much before release. Then we did a comparison and found the Sony was better. Not so much now, Sony's behind in eReaders. The new ones look promising though, esp if you get a Harry Potter edition, all 7 books preloaded on it!

I'd recommend going to Best Buy and playing around with them, before you commit to buying one.
What does it mean to overclock it?

UPDATE: Nevermind. Google to the rescue.
Steve

WTB: PS3 case that holds 2 discs. If you have one you can part with please PM me.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What does it mean to overclock it?

UPDATE: Nevermind. Google to the rescue.
It's the same as on a regular computer. My Nook's nice and zippy. I also made the window animations and such faster. Takes about a minute to boot, but that's because of all the Apps I have. I'm quite pleased with it. My mother splits her time between a Sony Touch and a Rooted Nook Color (she just let me root it 2 weeks ago). It depends on which one has its battery charged. She prefers the Nook because it's easier to read on, as she prefers the backlight.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Kindle just released a partnership with OverDrive. This is the online resource many libraries use. You may want to check your local library and see if they are compatible now.

Although my library uses OverDrive, I have not figured out how to get them on/in my Kindle app.

I currently use the Overdrive app on my iPad so it is not too big of a deal. I was trying to get it working more for my wife since she is a Kindle app junkie.

BTW, we gave our Kindle DX (the big one) to my mother-in-law. My wife likes reading much more on the iPad since she can read in low light or dark rooms. the Kindle will still require a light on in order to read. There is no backlight. The Nook is the same.
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Birmingham, Alabama. :(

My mother loves her Nook because she can borrow and lend books to her friends for seven days, if they also have a nook.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...faces?siteId=3

"Someone who loves to start a fire and listen to the screams."

"If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?"
Old 09-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #27
Expert Member

Sep 2009
TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
My mother loves her Nook because she can borrow and lend books to her friends for seven days, if they also have a nook.
You can also do this with the Kindle, for a 14 day loan.

For the books you own you just select "loan this book" and give an email address, and the book will disappear from your library while the other person is loaning it (if you don't turn your kindle's wifi on during this period you won't even lose the book from your device). There are even communities where you can ask for a certain book and someone will loan it to you when possible.
Samsung PN58C550
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1020-K
Fronts: Polk Monitor 70s
Center: Polk CS2
Rears: Polk Monitor 60s
Old 09-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

My wife loves to read books (more than watching movies). I bought her a Kindle last October and she has not looked back as she loves it.
Lloyd C. Cramden: Flint, How do you find time to read all these books?
Derek Flint: No, no, no, sir, I wrote those.

In Like Flint (1967)
Old 12-19-2011, 01:12 AM   #29
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Just an update. I've finally decided to get the wife a Kindle for Christmas. Only problem is, I haven't bought it yet. I'd like to use Amazon to save on tax, but wonder if it will make it here on time (not a Prime member). May have to hit up Target.
[Show spoiler]

Edit: In Targets ad this week they have the Nook touch for $99 with a $15 gift card with it too. What to do?
When life gives you limes, make margaritas

Last edited by Waboman; 12-19-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #30
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Just an update. I've finally decided to get the wife a Kindle for Christmas. Only problem is, I haven't bought it yet. I'd like to use Amazon to save on tax, but wonder if it will make it here on time (not a Prime member). May have to hit up Target.
[Show spoiler]

Edit: In Targets ad this week they have the Nook touch for $99 with a $15 gift card with it too. What to do?
Is it just Nook or all e-readers for the gift card? I bought my wift the Kindle Touch yesterday at Best Buy, but will return it and go to Target is I can get the gift card.
Detroit/Michigan Sports Fanatic - Go Blue, Wings, Tigers, Lions, Pistons!
Famous Blu-ray.com Quotes:
"the Anti-Crim wasn't banned, though...just regular and pirate version" - jkwest
"Crim if you can read this, give us a sign." - dpompeo (aka dpomp)
"I'm glad you aren't dead." - BruceWayne
"Brucey!!!! nice...getting lucky with some rapper skank!" - jkwest
Old 12-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #31
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
Is it just Nook or all e-readers for the gift card? I bought my wift the Kindle Touch yesterday at Best Buy, but will return it and go to Target is I can get the gift card.
Looking at the Target ad, it appears only the Nook comes with a gift card. I'm gonna try and go into Target this afternoon and talk to someone.

I'm still undecided on which e-reader to get her. What made you choose the Kindle over the Nook?
Old 12-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #32
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Looking at the Target ad, it appears only the Nook comes with a gift card. I'm gonna try and go into Target this afternoon and talk to someone.

I'm still undecided on which e-reader to get her. What made you choose the Kindle over the Nook?
Since they are basically the same, I went Kindle because I liked the shape and look better.
Detroit/Michigan Sports Fanatic - Go Blue, Wings, Tigers, Lions, Pistons!
Famous Blu-ray.com Quotes:
"the Anti-Crim wasn't banned, though...just regular and pirate version" - jkwest
"Crim if you can read this, give us a sign." - dpompeo (aka dpomp)
"I'm glad you aren't dead." - BruceWayne
"Brucey!!!! nice...getting lucky with some rapper skank!" - jkwest
Old 12-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #33
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
Since they are basically the same, I went Kindle because I liked the shape and look better.
Did you get the one with 'special offers' i.e. ads? The non-special offers version is $40 more. Are the ads even that big of deal?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #34
Expert Member

Sep 2009
TX

Quote:
Did you get the one with 'special offers' i.e. ads? The non-special offers version is $40 more. Are the ads even that big of deal?
I never even pay attention to the ads. It shows ads as the "screensaver" when it's turned off, and also on the bottom line of the home page is an ad. Once you are in a book reading there are no ads at all, so it doesn't effect your reading experience.

Sometimes the ads are actually pretty nice, I picked up a Kindle Touch cover for 50% off with one of the deals.
Samsung PN58C550
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1020-K
Fronts: Polk Monitor 70s
Center: Polk CS2
Rears: Polk Monitor 60s
Old 12-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #35
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf View Post
I never even pay attention to the ads. It shows ads as the "screensaver" when it's turned off, and also on the bottom line of the home page is an ad. Once you are in a book reading there are no ads at all, so it doesn't effect your reading experience.

Sometimes the ads are actually pretty nice, I picked up a Kindle Touch cover for 50% off with one of the deals.
Thanks for the feedback. That's what I needed to know.

Amazon sent me an email today saying free shipping and get it by Christmas. If I order it thru Amazon I save on tax, but my ETA is the 24th. That's cutting it too close. I may head to Target or Best Buy.

I went to Target and they were sold out of the Kindle Touch. I then headed over to Best Buy and bought one. My Christmas shopping is done... ahead of schedule this year.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Grandville MI

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. That's what I needed to know.

Amazon sent me an email today saying free shipping and get it by Christmas. If I order it thru Amazon I save on tax, but my ETA is the 24th. That's cutting it too close. I may head to Target or Best Buy.

I went to Target and they were sold out of the Kindle Touch. I then headed over to Best Buy and bought one. My Christmas shopping is done... ahead of schedule this year.
What!?! I hope you got me something!
BRGC Member / THE CLINTS CHARTER MEMBER 1/06/10
OBEY THE TOPUS
"Though he be but little, he is fierce." - Seabiscuit
"He laughs at fear, afraid of nothing. He cannot stand still when the trumpet sounds." -Secretariat

Et Earello Endorenna utulien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta
Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #37
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbig31 View Post
What!?! I hope you got me something!
Just for you, my culinary compatriot.
[Show spoiler]

Old 01-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #38

Apr 2010

Not sure if you are aware of this but you can now get library books for the Kindle. I have a Sony ereader and stopped buying books a year ago, I just download them from the library. Just recently I noticed they added support for Kindles. it is a great option over buying books.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Books/eBooks