Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The LEGO Ninjago Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Jurassic World 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.59
3 hrs ago
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.97

Minions 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Dracula 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99
16 hrs ago
Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Thunder and the House of Magic (Blu-ray)
$8.43

Jurassic Park Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.54
51 min ago
Fascination Coral Reef 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.64

Prometheus 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.33

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 09-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Special Member

Sep 2010
Alaska
Question What Are Your Top / Best / Most Impressive / Favorite 3D Blu-rays?

So what is the best one so far?I only got 2.So far monster house is.But can't wait for a real movie I can watch rather then animated.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #2

Aug 2010
United Kingdom My humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DinAK View Post
So what is the best one so far?I only got 2.So far monster house is.But can't wait for a real movie I can watch rather then animated.
Of the half-dozen 3D blu ray titles I own I would have to say that the two IMAX titles stand out: 'Deep Sea 3D' and 'Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk'(there's a moderate amount of crosstalk(ghosting) in the last one but is nothing to write home about; read the review elsewhere here for a honest assessment). The visuals on these titles is nothing short of amazing.

There's a whole raft of IMAX titles coming out in the next few months and I expect them to be equally impressive. The one's I've ordered are(in release date order): 'Dinosaurs Alive'(25/10/2010), 'Volcanoes of the Deep Sea'(06/12/2010), 'Journey into Amazing Caves'(07/02/2011) and 'Greece: Secrets of the Past'(14/02/2011).

Of course, with Disney entering the 3D foray with the three releases before Christmas, I expect them to be equally as impressive: 'Bolt', Alice in Wonderland' and 'A Christmas Carol'(I found the first two on Amazon's French website, though)

Hope that helps since only one that I've mentioned('Bolt') is animated.

John.

Have got to amend one title. Apparently 'Volcanoes of the Deep Sea' is not going to be issued in 3D(at least according to another website that keeps abreast of these things). This is because AmazonUK have their information incorrect.

Last edited by fantasiafilmlover; 11-13-2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: wrong information
Old 09-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Best movie on the format at the moment is Coraline. A beautiful dark animated movie that really pushes stop motion animation to its limits.

Can't comment on its 3D presentation but its the best movie announced for the format. To bad its a Panasonic exclusive.
3D: Cause two eyes are better then one
Deleting posts is like burning books

Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 09-24-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #4

Aug 2010
Default Hmm: Coraline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
Best movie on the format at the moment is Coraline. A beautiful dark animated movie that really pushes stop motion animation to its limits.

Can't comment on its 3D presentation but its the best movie announced for the format. To bad its a Panasonic exclusive.
I couldn't agree more but 3DinAK wanted live action films. That was why I mentioned the IMAX films(pre-and post).

Incidentally, futher to what you were saying about'Coraline', the illusion of depth is well maintained--it really does look as if her world extends to the horizon(and beyond). In fact the whole film is about depth, there's very little that is poked out of the screen at you(one of the exceptions to that is the needle at the beginning).

John.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasiafilmlover View Post
I couldn't agree more but 3DinAK wanted live action films. That was why I mentioned the IMAX films(pre-and post).

Incidentally, futher to what you were saying about'Coraline', the illusion of depth is well maintained--it really does look as if her world extends to the horizon(and beyond). In fact the whole film is about depth, there's very little that is poked out of the screen at you(one of the exceptions to that is the needle at the beginning).

John.
The best live action movie in 3D (and its debatable whether that can be called live action) is Avatar. And even Avatar is mediocre in terms of story-telling with numerous cliqhes, a hypocritcal message, and one dimensional characters.

Coraline is a far better movie and Pixar's 3D movies Up and the Toy Story trilogy are better still. The definitive live action 3D movie has yet to come out but thats Ok because some people will never understand the beauty of animated movies and I find that sad
Old 09-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
Power Member

May 2010

The Imax ones I've seen so far are fantastic.

But as far as actual movies I've seen. I have to go with Ice Age. I love the hidden prehistoric world they go to, and the action scenes there. It's also the best looking 3D Blu-ray movie I've seen yet.

Coraline has probably an over all better quality story line. But I still enjoy the Ice Age adventure more. I like how bright and colorful it is too.

You don't have long to wait before My Bloody Valentine. It will be interesting to see how that looks. If the live action of the Imax ones are anything to go by, it should look damn good.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 09-25-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
The Imax ones I've seen so far are fantastic.

But as far as actual movies I've seen. I have to go with Ice Age. I love the hidden prehistoric world they go to, and the action scenes there. It's also the best looking 3D Blu-ray movie I've seen yet.

Coraline has probably an over all better quality story line. But I still enjoy the Ice Age adventure more. I like how bright and colorful it is too.

You don't have long to wait before My Bloody Valentine. It will be interesting to see how that looks. If the live action of the Imax ones are anything to go by, it should look damn good.
Its unbelievable that anyone over the age of 10 could choose Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs over Coraline. Coraline is a dark intelligent animated movie. Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs is a cartoon. There is no comparison.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #8

Sep 2010

I have Monsters VS Aliens but I am waiting for real live action movies. I was never into animated movies. I would never get a animated movie if there were lots of other choices.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by STD View Post
I have Monsters VS Aliens but I am waiting for real live action movies. I was never into animated movies. I would never get a animated movie if there were lots of other choices.
While I sometimes like to watch an animated movie. I do agree with you. I am waiting for alot more Live Action 3D movies. Atleast There is going to be My Bloody Valentine as a Best buy Exclusive on Oct. 5.

Never watched it before. But Ill take the chance since the next live action movie wont come out till Nov.

BTW: I dont count 40 min documentaries as "true" movies.
This is my signature
Old 09-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by STD View Post
Your attitude is sad and disgraceful. Can you explain why you would trash masterpeices like Toy Story 3 or Finding Nemo and why you would take live action crap over them
Old 09-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
The best live action movie in 3D (and its debatable whether that can be called live action) is Avatar. And even Avatar is mediocre in terms of story-telling with numerous cliqhes, a hypocritcal message, and one dimensional characters.

Coraline is a far better movie and Pixar's 3D movies Up and the Toy Story trilogy are better still. The definitive live action 3D movie has yet to come out but thats Ok because some people will never understand the beauty of animated movies and I find that sad
There is nothing more beautiful than the real world.
Zero will win, whatever you do.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wright View Post
There is nothing more beautiful than the real world.
Well I have nothing against live action at all. I just can't stand it when people dismiss animated movies just because there animated. A movie should be judged first by its story, writting, originality, and well devoloped characters. If an animated movie has all these qualities as all of Pixar's movies have and some notable non-Pixar exceptions have had why should people choose a live action movie that lacks all these qualities.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
Power Member

May 2010

Quote:
Its unbelievable that anyone over the age of 10 could choose Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs over Coraline. Coraline is a dark intelligent animated movie. Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs is a cartoon. There is no comparison.
That sounds a little too much like an insult Jimmy. Everyone likes different things and different styles. I've not once commented on your preferences even though we clearly like different types of movies.

I do like Coraline a lot. But I stand by my opinion that Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs is just more fun. And looks a lot better in 3D too. But I admit I didn't care for the fist two of the series all that much.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
That sounds a little too much like an insult Jimmy.
No insult intended Im just saying that Coraline seems like a much more mature animated movie. Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs relayed on childish humor much of the time. Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs did look great in 3D and has a few good laughs from Simon Pegg but beyond that its themetically vacent silly movie

Just my opinion not an insult
Old 09-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #15
Special Member

Sep 2010
Alaska

luckily I have kids so I get to be a kid again.kind of.I can't wait for november as it seems there will be a few movies coming out.Just wish I had a local place to buy them rather then waiting a week or so for them to get in the mail.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Well I have nothing against live action at all. I just can't stand it when people dismiss animated movies just because there animated. A movie should be judged first by its story, writting, originality, and well devoloped characters. If an animated movie has all these qualities as all of Pixar's movies have and some notable non-Pixar exceptions have had why should people choose a live action movie that lacks all these qualities.
ANd I have nothing against animation.
I fact, I love them and the 2 are uncomparable to me.

I dont agree with your movie judging criteria, I think the ones you listed are actually criterias for books.

Quote:
No insult intended Im just saying that Coraline seems like a much more mature animated movie. Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs relayed on childish humor much of the time. Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs did look great in 3D and has a few good laughs from Simon Pegg but beyond that its themetically vacent silly movie

Just my opinion not an insult
We are all children inside, thats why a good childe movie might be better than a good mature movie.

Last edited by Marcus Wright; 09-26-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:16 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wright View Post
ANd I have nothing against animation.
I fact, I love them and the 2 are uncomparable to me.

I dont agree with your movie judging criteria, I think the ones you listed are actually criterias for books.

We are all children inside, thats why a good childe movie might be better than a good mature movie.
Movies are a visual artform as well so those aren't the only criteria. However those criteria are every bit as important for a movie than it is for a book

Yes we can keep a sense of adventure and cute humor well into adult and its healthy to an extent. Its why Pixars movies appeal to people of all ages. However as adults we can also better spot the much better where intelligence and thought has been put into humor. Pixar's humor shows a much greater degree of intelligent thought then the humor of the Ice Age movies or most Dreamworks animation. Michael Keaton as Ken in Toy Story 3 had nearly as many laughs as all the Ice Age movies put together.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Movies are a visual artform as well so those aren't the only criteria. However those criteria are every bit as important for a movie than it is for a book

Yes we can keep a sense of adventure and cute humor well into adult and its healthy to an extent. Its why Pixars movies appeal to people of all ages. However as adults we can also better spot the much better where intelligence and thought has been put into humor. Pixar's humor shows a much greater degree of intelligent thought then the humor of the Ice Age movies or most Dreamworks animation. Michael Keaton as Ken in Toy Story 3 had nearly as many laughs as all the Ice Age movies put together.
I defenetely understand what you mean, but sometimes I want to just relax my brain and enjoy laughs how I would do them when i was a kid, and Ice ages are perfect for that.

And as for movies, I think direction, screenplay and acting are far more important than the script
Old 09-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
Special Member

Sep 2010
Alaska

Going to watch "journey to the center of the earth" tonight. Recorded on DVR through directv.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DinAK View Post
Going to watch "journey to the center of the earth" tonight. Recorded on DVR through directv.
A very mediocre movie that feels more like a 3D ride then a movie that can stand on its own merits. Still it the first movie shot with modern 3D fusion cameras and if you want quality live action 3D it delievers. Just wish the writting had matched the 3D
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies