Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Bodacious Space Pirates: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.95
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
A Certain Scientific Railgun: Complete Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$16.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-18-2011, 01:45 AM   #1

Jun 2011
Los Angeles, CA
USA Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - October 4th, 2011 - Review Up

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will be released on October 4th, 2011. Amazon is currently taking pre-orders at the price of $15.99, and Best Buy has it at $14.99.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Blu-ray

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Blu-ray Review

Unfortunately, it looks like we will not see a slip cover
Favorite Movie: The Shawshank Redemption
Best of 2013 (so far): 12 Years a Slave
Best of 2012: Django Unchained
Best of 2011: Drive
Best of 2010: The Social Network and Inception
My Trade Thread

I have an official review site that I'd love for you to visit: Best Picture Movie Reviews

Last edited by Deciazulado; 10-05-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

While I think this version was a good effort I still much prefer the Wilder version and won't be getting this one. I admit it is very colorful and if mastered correctly for blu it will be astounding looking.
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"...but you will always be homosexual Michael, always, until the day you die."

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007

Too bad WB is just porting the HD DVD copy. So sad...
If you don't like what's being said, change the conversation...
Old 09-24-2011, 02:42 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Birmingham, Alabama. :(
Thumbs down

I did not like this at all. No Gene Wilder, and no Jack Albertson. I'll pass.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...faces?siteId=3

"Someone who loves to start a fire and listen to the screams."

"If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?"
Old 09-24-2011, 02:45 AM   #5

Feb 2011

This was an excellent film, and one of Burton's better efforts - leaps and bounds better than the Wilder version.

The issue, I think, is that people let their conceptions be colored by the Wilder version and not Dahl's novel. Dahl's novel - far unlike Wilder's film - is darkly humorous and deeply cynical. Burton falls somewhat short, with his humor being somewhat too light for Dahl's specific style, but still comes very close and is considerably closer than Wilder was.

I could go on but I don't think a detailed analysis of the film would convince many people, so I'll suffice to say I will certainly be picking it up.
19 | "Go then - there are other worlds than these."
Old 09-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xicon View Post
This was an excellent film, and one of Burton's better efforts - leaps and bounds better than the Wilder version.

The issue, I think, is that people let their conceptions be colored by the Wilder version and not Dahl's novel. Dahl's novel - far unlike Wilder's film - is darkly humorous and deeply cynical. Burton falls somewhat short, with his humor being somewhat too light for Dahl's specific style, but still comes very close and is considerably closer than Wilder was.

I could go on but I don't think a detailed analysis of the film would convince many people, so I'll suffice to say I will certainly be picking it up.
it's not new news that the Dahl estate never cared for the Wilder version since that film version took liberties with the source book - they only granted Warner Bros. the permission to let another director to do a remake that was truer to the book - which for the most part Burton delivered on.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
USA

Dont flame me, but I like Burton's film better. Depp was funnier but Wilder's blond afro just creeped me out.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Expert Member

Dec 2008
Maryland

I love this movie and will never understand the hate. I grew up on the original Wilder version, loving it as well, but I like the different spin this movie took on the story (closer to the novel I enjoyed as a kid.) The musical numbers are a lot of fun, the casting was perfect, and the sets are brilliant.

I imported the UK version a few years back and have been very satisfied. I imagine this will look the same.
"You're a woman, Harry"
Old 09-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYJAPE21 View Post
I love this movie and will never understand the hate.
Me neither. I'm a Tim Burton fan, as well as a Roald Dahl fan (I loved his books as a kid), so a version that would stick closer to the source would be great, I thought when it was first announced. I had seen the Wilder version, and thought it was okay, but that was it. The Burton might not always stick to the letter, but in spirit it's as if the characters jumped from the page. At least, that's how I feel about it.
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 09-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
Camp Crystal Lake
Send a message via Skype™ to MovieFanatic2010

I hated this movie at first but over the years i have grown to love and it is now one of my favorites. I also loved the original as well. I will be getting this along with the Wilder one.
BASEMENT HOME THEATER - EPSON 5030UB 2D/3D PROJECTOR W/ 100" ELITE SCREEN - RECEIVER - HARMON KARDON 1710 7.2
FRONT SPEAKERS - INFINITY PRIMUS P363 CENTER SPEAKER INFINITY PRIMUS PC351 - SIDES AND REARS POLK AUDIO 30'S + 40'S
SUBWOOFERS PREMIER ACOUSTIC PA-120 650 WATT TITANIUM + POLK AUDIO PSW110
BASS SHAKERS BASH 500 WATT AMP + 2 CLARK TRANSDUCERS
BEDROOM DISPLAY - PANASONIC VIERA TC-P60UT50 60 -INCH 3D PLASMA
Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
Special Member

Nov 2009
Hot Springs, AR

My Best Buy had Space Jam, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Pee-wee's Big Adventure out early. YMMV.

It was on a cardboard standee
Old 10-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #12

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYJAPE21 View Post
I love this movie and will never understand the hate.
Agreed. Although I like the original the best, this movie grew on me.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #13
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
US

Review is live:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Blu-ray Review
Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Detroit,MI

I'll get this for sure once the price is $10 or less.
Samsung BD-P2500 Blu-ray Player
Samsung (LN46A650) 46-Inch 1080p LCD

Onkyo HT-S7300
Panasonic AE4000
98" screen
Old 10-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->264

I didn't like this one bit. It may be closer to the original children's book, but the original with Wilder is just overall a better film. Depp seems like he's just overdoing it while Wilder seemed to get Wonka's personality just right.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #16
Power Member

Aug 2008
Mississippi

I hated this version, and it will never darken my door again past the one-time rental.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I didn't like this one bit. It may be closer to the original children's book, but the original with Wilder is just overall a better film. Depp seems like he's just overdoing it while Wilder seemed to get Wonka's personality just right.
I hated it as well. And it's not any closer to the book than the original version.

Especially with the tacked on "Wonka's Dad" subplot and a bunch of the other changes that differ from the book.

It's a horrible soulless affair of a film. Where there's no passion, heart, or whimsey. And Depp's Wonka is just a terrible interpretation.

The original is a timeless classic that will be remembered long after this Goth Knockoff has been forgotten by all but the most hardcore of fans.
Bat-Mite: "Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots then the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy."

Batman: The Brave & The Bold - Legend of the Dark Mite.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #18

Apr 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to Pipsqueek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
I hated it as well. And it's not any closer to the book than the original version.

Especially with the tacked on "Wonka's Dad" subplot and a bunch of the other changes that differ from the book.

It's a horrible soulless affair of a film. Where there's no passion, heart, or whimsey. And Depp's Wonka is just a terrible interpretation.

The original is a timeless classic that will be remembered long after this Goth Knockoff has been forgotten by all but the most hardcore of fans.
Ditto.
I grew up with Dahl books, reading Charlie and the Choc Factory, along with James and the Giant Peach, more times than I can count.
I love Depp as an actor, but, his performance of Wonka I absolutely hated. Typical Burton, the film was visually stunning, but, had no passion or whimsey, as you say. Ill take Wilder version any day of the week.

Admittedly, Im not a big Tim Burton fan. I also was very disappointed in James and the Giant Peach, for which he produced. Im not sure if he was solely responsible for changing the film from the beginning sequences of live action, to stop motion animation, but, that decision really disappointed me when I occurred as I sat in the theater watching it. I thought the live action sequences were done really well, along with the actor choices, but, the film lost its passion when it was decided to switch to animation.

Bottomline for me is CATCF looks great, but, like so many Burton films (Alice included, ugh) the character development and WRITING, is hollow.
Btw, speaking of hollow, Sleepy Hollow is the one Burton film I actually really liked.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #19
Banned

Feb 2008
Sherman Oaks, Cali

I'm excited to get my copy today I enjoyed it for what it was.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Orange Park, FL

I thought this movie was decent. I'll think about it if the price drops eventually.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America