Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
10 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
10 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (Blu-ray)
$4.99
4 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alien Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99
23 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 09-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #1

Mar 2011
The USA
Default How Come Pictures Can't Be Blown Up?

If a photo can be blown up and still look good when it was much smaller, why can't movies have each frame be blown up by a program then reassembled?
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."
Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->149 DCs------->307

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushilista View Post
If a photo can be blown up and still look good when it was much smaller, why can't movies have each frame be blown up by a program then reassembled?
Wow, you're asking an extremely loaded question. Just know that quality loss is horrible and a movie is in motion while a photo is not.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Isn't that what upscaling does?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->149 DCs------->307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Pig View Post
Isn't that what upscaling does?
Yeah, but even upscaling only helps so much. You can only polish a turd so much.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
For what reason? Not sure I understand what you are asking.

Blowing up a photo is no different than playing a BD on a 24" TV versus a 65" TV. It all has to do with resolution. If the source resolution is high enough, you can blow it up substantially without loss of perceived resolution, but eventually you will start to see problems.
Genius has its limits, however there is no limit on stupidity.
PSN: ricshoe64

Panasonic 60GT30 | Pioneer VSX-33 | Panasonic DMP-BD110 | Emotiva XPA-3
APC H15 | XBox 360 | Sony PS4
Axiom M80's & VP-180 | Carver Cinema 5.1 surrounds | BIC Accoustech H100

My A/V cabinet build / DIY thread
Old 09-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Special Member

May 2011
Colorado

Quote:
This is apples to oranges anyway.

For example, film is "analog" so a picture can be "blown-up" and still look OK if it's a good photograph.

If it's a digital photograph, chances are it was taken at a much higher resolution than the displayed resolution and so it can be "blown up" without looking too bad.

As far as your wording "and still look good" that is highly subjective. Some people listen to a 96kbps MP3 and say "it still sounds good" while I think it's sh1t.
Blu-ray Disc addict
XBOX ONE early adopter
Old 09-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Movies do have each frame blown up - it's called film projection. Been to a cinema in the last 100 years?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
Movies do have each frame blown up - it's called film projection. Been to a cinema in the last 100 years?
Yeah... that's what I was going to say... Film is being blown up every time you watch a film (not digital movie) in a theater.

I'm not sure what the point of the question is... film is film... and while there is a limit to useful resolution... it doesn't matter if it is still photography or moving pictures.
Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Why would film needed to be blown up anyway? HD is of a lower quality than film.

And film obviously has been blown up in the past. Think about every 16mm film getting projected on 35mm film, or 70mm blow-ups.
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 09-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #10

Dec 2008

And if you blow-up a photo from a point-and-shoot to poster size (i.e. the size of a big TV) it will look bad.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Sevens View Post
And if you blow-up a photo from a point-and-shoot to poster size (i.e. the size of a big TV) it will look bad.
Not if you use the original negative, I reckon.
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 09-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Not if it was shot on film.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #13

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
Not if it was shot on film.
Have you ever actually done this? even 8x10s can be sketchy. Point and shoots don't have great fidelity (due to cheap, fixed lenses, mostly).
Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #14

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

http://www.soundboard.com/mediafiles...sAjE5BDN8w.mp3
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 09-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
Have you ever actually done this? even 8x10s can be sketchy. Point and shoots don't have great fidelity (due to cheap, fixed lenses, mostly).
When you say "8x10s" you are referring to a print... and not the negative. IF you blowup a picture from a print, then you are limited by the print resolution. I'm not aware of any 8x10 negatives! Negatives are usually quite a bit smaller than that...
Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #16
Special Member

Aug 2010

I have a terrible feeling he's trying to find justification for fullscreen....
Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #17

Mar 2011
The USA

The main purpose for this is for old sitcoms like Sanford and Son. I was curious if they could be blown up frame by frame like an old photograph and still look better than DVD.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."
Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
The main purpose for this is for old sitcoms like Sanford and Son. I was curious if they could be blown up frame by frame like an old photograph and still look better than DVD.
But what are you asking?

If the shows were shot on film, then they could be rescanned at a higher resolution and be released on Blu-ray and look sharper.

If the shows were shot on videotape, then what you have is what you have... and it won't be able to be improved realistically.

It's also possible that it could have been shot on film but edited on videotape, in which case they would have to re-edit as well as re-scan.

But... "blowing up" the frames "like an old photograph" really has nothing to do with anything... at least in how you seem to have phrased this follow-up question.
Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #19

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post
Some people listen to a 96kbps MP3 and say "it still sounds good" while I think it's sh1t.
This !
Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #20

Jul 2010
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe View Post
But what are you asking?

If the shows were shot on film, then they could be rescanned at a higher resolution and be released on Blu-ray and look sharper.

If the shows were shot on videotape, then what you have is what you have... and it won't be able to be improved realistically.

It's also possible that it could have been shot on film but edited on videotape, in which case they would have to re-edit as well as re-scan.

But... "blowing up" the frames "like an old photograph" really has nothing to do with anything... at least in how you seem to have phrased this follow-up question.
@crushilista: Elaborating on what HDMe said: http://www.highdefforum.com/1189621-post3.html

Something like "Sanford and Sons" would have been shot on NTSC broadcast video and therefore have a resolution of 500x480 lines. To see a simple example of what happens if you try to upscale an image, open your avatar image (160x120) in an image editor and increase the size by 225%, which is what you would be doing if attempting to upscale something from 480 to 1080 horizontal lines. There are various algorithms for upscaling, but in the end they are all trying to "best-guess" visual information that didn't exist in the source image.

Something shot on 35mm film, like "Mary Tyler Moore", would have the equivalent of 6000 lines of resolution if you used its negative or interpositive. That's why it's easier to transfer something shot on film to Blu-ray, since you're downscaling rather than upscaling. Even if you have the projection positive, which is equivalent of 2000 lines of horizontal resolution, your source is still slightly higher resolution than Blu-ray. As HDMe mentioned, if the show was shot on film but edited on video, then you'll need to go back to the negative or interpositive, assuming either still exists and is still in good condition (I don't believe they would produce a projection positive, since this is for TV, but I could be wrong), and re-edit everything into complete episodes. You can visit the "Highlander TV" thread and see how upset people can get if you don't do this step and simply try to upscale from a video source.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion