Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 09-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Default 128GB BDXL Blu-ray internal computer drives are available now and are ideal for data

128GB BDXL Blu-ray internal computer drives are available now and are ideal for data storage

Pioneer over the years has had an excellent reputation for making high quality optical recorders. In the DVD days I had problems with many brands of DVD computer recorder drives until I tried the Pioneer brand which offered the best compatibility for data storage on a wide variety of blank media. Sure there are other good brands to choose from on the market but Pioneer is one of the best if not the best in optical storage drives.

The Pioneer BDR-206MBK was launched in the fourth quarter of 2010 as the world’s first BDXL Blu-ray drive. It is currently the world’s only internal BDXL computer drive. I have not installed the Pioneer BDR-206MBK computer drive yet but I will be doing so soon. The ability to store 128GB of data on an optical disc is ideal. When searching online the BDR-206MBK and BDR-206 models are entirely different Blu-ray computer drives (The BDR-206 is 12X speed with no BDXL support). Pioneer should have made different model numbers because it is easy for the average consumer to get the two similar model numbers mixed up when the only difference in model numbers is "MBK".

Sure there are faster and cheaper Blu-ray recorders for data and family HD video storage like the Pioneer BDR-206 which does 12X speed but those drives are limited to a maximum of 50GB discs for reading and writing. The Pioneer BDR-206MBK only negative is that it writes at a slow 6X speed instead of 12X speed. The Pioneer BDR-206MBK big advantage is that it is the worlds first BDXL computer drive that handles 100GB triple layer and 128GB quad layer Blu-ray media. As far as I am aware 128GB blank media is not available yet and when it is released it might cost over $100 (USB 128GB flash drives run around $200) until prices come down over time. Triple layer 100GB BD-R XL media is currently running around $74.50 until prices come down (Around $144.50 for BD-RE XL 100GB media). Blu-ray dual layer 50GB discs are under $5 and 25GB single layer discs are now under $1 which is more affordable. For those that want to back up an entire small hard drive 128GB optical media are ideal. Plus optical discs are 100% immune to naturally occurring or manmade EMP’s and immune to strong magnetic fields (Solid state drives, USB flash drives, hard drives, and floppy discs can be erased with strong EMP’s and/or strong magnetic fields). Some high-end brands of optical discs can also last up to 100 years compared to some USB sticks that are rated at 10 years before they go bad.

100GB triple layer and 128GB quad layer BDXL Blu-ray discs can only be played back on a BDXL Blu-ray computer drive. Standard Blu-ray players cannot handle anymore than a dual layer 50GB discs. Hopefully standalone BDXL recorders with ATSC/QAM tuners and a cable card built in might one day be offered in the United States. Computer BDXL drives can store many hours of HD broadcasts on a 128GB discs with the right hardware and software combination. Optical discs are ideal for backing up home made family videos.

Best prices on the Pionner BDR-206MBK

The Pioneer BDR-206MBK list price is $199. The first generation Pioneer 50GB Blu-ray computer drives back in May of 2006 cost $999.99. For only $179.95 with free shipping one can purchase the worlds first 6X speed internal BDXL drive that comes with Cyberlink software and for a limited time 100GB BD-R XL blank write once disc is included. On Amazon that same 100GB Sharp BD-R XL disc is selling for $74.50 each.

1. Pioneer Elctronics website $199.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc-and-DVD/Computer-Drives/BDR-206MBK

2. B and H Photo ($179.95 with free shipping)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/817671-REG/Pioneer_BDR_206MBKS_BDR_206MBK_12x_Internal_BDXL_D VD_CD.html

3. Micro Center ($179.99 plus shipping) Has the best quality picture of what comes with the Blu-ray drive
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0361931

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 09-21-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Orlando,FLA Relocated To: Lynchburg,VA

Quote:
(Solid state drives, USB flash drives, hard drives, and floppy discs can be erased with strong EMPís and/or strong magnetic fields)
I accidently let my 4GB flash drive slip into a 1.5 Tesla Magnet, and it did not erase! I was lucky though, as I would never like that to ever happen again.

Any word on possible TV shows or series being placed onto a 128GB optical disc? Are current players able to recognize [read] the higher capacity discs? Possible with new firmware, or do you need a whole new drive?

Last edited by crackinhedz; 09-21-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
Any word on possible TV shows or series being placed onto a 128GB optical disc? Are current players able to recognize [read] the higher capacity discs? Possible with new firmware, or do you need a whole new drive?
They've demonstrated lab versions and talked about various possibilities, but nothing official.

BDXL (R/RE) requires new hardware as will any future prerecorded (ROM) types.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

In another thread I briefly mentioned that Sony was in talks with the Blu-ray Disc Association to possible sometime in the future offer movies in 4K. If that does happen then most likely sometime around the year 2016 we might be able to purchase 4K pre-recorded movies.

Existing Blu-ray players can only handle up to 50GB Blu-ray discs with 1080P. In Japan they are going to be releasing a standalone Blu-ray recorder that uses BDXL drives to offer 128GB recording capacity for HD/SD TV programs. No standalone Blu-ray recorders are planned for the Untied States market yet.

Now a 4K optical disc format could use a 200GB-500GB multi-layer disc with lossless or lossy video compression, 256 bit AES encryption for security, and a new advanced video compression system. Nothing official just some ideals.

Now if companies were in a rush to release 4K movies on Blu-ray they could use the existing 128GB BDXL drives with a lossy video compression system at low bit rates (higher bit rates than 1080P but lower compared to the studio master). So maybe one day BDXL BD-ROM drives could end up in all new 4K standalone Blu-ray players.

There is always a possibility of another format war 5 years from now with a new 4K 500GB disc format challenging a multi-layer 4K 200GB Blu-ray disc.

We will just need to wait to see what really happens, it’s almost impossible to predict the future. It would be neat if one day one could purchase a 4K or 8K studio master that was bit for bit the same as the master scan.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 09-22-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software