COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$7.98
Kill Bill: 1 & 2 Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Labor Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 09-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY
Default Star Wars vs Star Trek - Shattner disses SW on FoxNews.com!

Just saw this on Fox News
http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.c...te/?test=faces

It seems Cap'n Kirk has a bone to pick with Star Wars. I enjoy both for different reasons. But, ultimately, Star Trek cant really measure up to Star Wars as far as epic-ness goes.

The original Star Trek had some classic shows, great technology, and interesting concepts. I enjoy them. But, Star Wars pushed the envelope with way better effects and prodution values. It also has a great story underneath it all - the redemption of Anakin Skywalker is an excellent storyline. Star Trek never reached such heughts. The Star Trek movies are OK but other than Kahn, they really arent that great.

I think overall, Star Wars is bigger, badder, and just has more greatness. Star Trek has great technology and deals with more human-centric subjects which is cool.

For me though - Star Wars >> Star Trek.
Pioneer 5080 KURO
Samsung UN6500 LED
LG BD-570, Sony BDP-S360, PS 3
Toshiba A30 & A2
Sony STRDG-AV 810
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 510
Old 09-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

I'm more of a Star Wars fan than Star Trek fan (eventhough I love the new Star Trek and Star Trek 4: the Search for a Whale).

I let my 6 year old son decide though. I was flipping through the channels the other day and stopped on some Star Trek movie or show and asked him if he wants to watch this, and he instantly said, "this looks bad." That's funny because that's how I thought of it when I was young too - I never liked the whole look of it or its world. I know it has some great stories, but it's just the damn look of the movies/show. Star Trek could have been good if it had a complete makeover. The new movie was sort of like a make-over but it mixed it up with the old to not disappoint the true fans.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Power Member

Feb 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Just saw this on Fox News
http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.c...te/?test=faces

It seems Cap'n Kirk has a bone to pick with Star Wars. I enjoy both for different reasons. But, ultimately, Star Trek cant really measure up to Star Wars as far as epic-ness goes.

The original Star Trek had some classic shows, great technology, and interesting concepts. I enjoy them. But, Star Wars pushed the envelope with way better effects and prodution values. It also has a great story underneath it all - the redemption of Anakin Skywalker is an excellent storyline. Star Trek never reached such heughts. The Star Trek movies are OK but other than Kahn, they really arent that great.

I think overall, Star Wars is bigger, badder, and just has more greatness. Star Trek has great technology and deals with more human-centric subjects which is cool.

For me though - Star Wars >> Star Trek.
Are you mad?!? What are you trying to do? Start a gang-war here?!? You know how violent those Star Wars/ Star Trek clashes can be!!
Old 09-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo
Talking

Kirk gets all the babes.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 09-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #5

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

I guess this will be a thread needing close monitoring......threads with this topic usually have a high epic failure rate........
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
Old 09-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Special Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

Obviously, Star Wars is a motion picture milestone in a way that the Star Trek films will never be, and probably has a bigger fan following now. It broke ground in FX that Star Trek could only dream of in it's day. It's probably the most loved series of films ever made.

However (SW fans, prepare to blast me now) the best episodes of Star Trek dealt with issues and ideas in the tradition of classic science fiction and had much bigger concepts that Star Wars ever attempted. The best Star Wars films are high adventure, wonderfully produced and great fun. The best Trek had more interesting concepts (as well as more '60's era TV cheese )

But really, I think Shatner is just goofing around in that interview.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silo5 View Post
Are you mad?!? What are you trying to do? Start a gang-war here?!? You know how violent those Star Wars/ Star Trek clashes can be!!
Yup, before you know it this place is going to be littered with broken glasses and empty inhalers.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 09-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Power Member

Feb 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Yup, before you know it this place is going to be littered with broken glasses and empty inhalers.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Out there...past the trees...

This whole thread reminds me of...

Quote:
“‘Star Trek’ had relationships and conflict among the relationships and stories that involved humanity and philosophical questions,” he said in the video interview. “‘Star Wars’ was special effects, was ILM at its best.
"Star Trek" is indeed more original, more heavily-rooted in deep humanitarian/philosophical issues, and each episode of the original series did have a clever premise. But that doesn't mean that "Star Wars" should be snubbed; it did a great job at handling the characters themes, and ultimately, crafting a working, believable, and immersive universe with its own mythology and grandeur.

Quote:
“God knows what those actors looked like in reality with all those special effects,” he said of the “Star Wars” cast. “There’s no telling what ILM did for those faces and hairdos. They may have walked around with nothing on.”
Understandable statement for Episodes I-III with some of the motion-capture tech, but the main actors would still be the real deal. If he's talking about the original trilogy, then he really is talking out of his butt.

Quote:
“Princess Leia, as beautiful as she was and as wonderful an actress as she is can’t compare to the marvelous heroines we had on ‘Star Trek’."
What "heroines?" Uhura? Leia could kick her butt any day! Captain Janeway? Might be a tougher call. But from the classic Trek series, WTF is he talking about?

Quote:
I’m not saying that the pretty girls [we had], and they were prettier than the girls on ‘Star Wars’, absolutely, I’m not saying that that’s just the only thing that ‘Star Trek’ is better than ‘Star Wars,’ I’m saying the stories were better.”
Sounds self-contradictory.

Shatner's arguments sound pretty vain and one-sided overall, and he should shut up.

Yep, I'm a "Star Wars" fan first and foremost, and just a causal "Trek" fan.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

I have to say, as much as I love SW and always will, I like Wrath of Khan and the 2009 ST films more than most of the SW films, so you won't see me on either side of the argument really.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
I have to say, as much as I love SW and always will, I like Wrath of Khan and the 2009 ST films more than most of the SW films, so you won't see me on either side of the argument really.
Agreed. I like 'em both too. Kirk still rocks!

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 09-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Seven seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieray1 View Post
However (SW fans, prepare to blast me now) the best episodes of Star Trek dealt with issues and ideas in the tradition of classic science fiction and had much bigger concepts that Star Wars ever attempted. The best Star Wars films are high adventure, wonderfully produced and great fun. The best Trek had more interesting concepts (as well as more '60's era TV cheese )
You have struck at the heart of the arguement here. SW never feels like science fiction. It's basically just WW2 in space with aerial dogfights and laser battles. No real theme of outer space or its concept of living there. Everything is presented in SW like it's already known wereas ST is about discovery of the unknown. Which is a truer concept when dealing with the vastness of space. Both have their fair share of goofy aliens but I believe ST display the effects of space upon humans better than any lightsaber duel.
There simply is no other place on the internet. Blu-ray.com
If you are not paying for the best you are getting ripped of by the worst.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Raleigh, NC

Can't we all just get along?
First Contact was better than Episode 1.
Tru Blu

Thank you, Blu-ray.com for the Schindler's List Giveaway!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
You have struck at the heart of the arguement here. SW never feels like science fiction. It's basically just WW2 in space with aerial dogfights and laser battles. No real theme of outer space or its concept of living there. Everything is presented in SW like it's already known wereas ST is about discovery of the unknown. Which is a truer concept when dealing with the vastness of space. Both have their fair share of goofy aliens but I believe ST display the effects of space upon humans better than any lightsaber duel.
Correct! Star Wars is more fantasy than science fiction. It could have teken place during medeival times, old England, whereever. Star Trek on the other hand must take place in space and is much more "sciency" than Star Wars.

As for thr thread getting out of control - I dont think so. Most of us like both of them but for different reasons as has been stated. There isnt a right or wrong answer here so Im curious to see if we can keep this going. I have confidence in my blu-ray brothers to make this thread fun without getting at each others throats.
Pioneer 5080 KURO
Samsung UN6500 LED
LG BD-570, Sony BDP-S360, PS 3
Toshiba A30 & A2
Sony STRDG-AV 810
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 510
Old 09-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #15

Aug 2010
Chicago

It's like comparing Beowulf to Hamlet. Sorry.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #16
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Bof! I enjoy both. Sure I prefer Star Wars but I also grew up watching the original series on TV back in the 70's.

Frankly I never understood this need for some people to be against something if the like something else?

"I like Star Trek thus I most hate Star Wars"

"I like Lords Of The Rings thus I most hate Star Wars & Star Trek"

It seem even granpa Kirk is not above such childish little rants
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady

Last edited by P@t_Mtl; 09-21-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
AZ

I like both, but for different reasons.

I find Star Wars to be more of an Epic Space Opera more or less based on the good ol Arthurian myths, while Star Trek is actually Sci Fi in a broader sense.

In short I would say

Star Wars = epic scale
Star Trek = smarter

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Old 09-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #18

Aug 2010
Chicago

Why do we need to make everything a black and white issue?

Star Trek versus Star Wars
Democrat versus Republican
Beatles versus Stones
King Kong versus Godzilla
Yin versus Yang

Stop the madness!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
Sounds self-contradictory.

Shatner's arguments sound pretty vain and one-sided overall, and he should shut up.
Geez dude calm down. It's pretty obvious he's just joking around and having some fun.
My featurette on Clive Barker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnnIu9fHOUg
Old 09-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010

Screw Star Trek AND Star Wars! Neither of them are... Robot Jox!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies