COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.96
Dragonwolf (Blu-ray)
$18.20
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.92
To Love Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.49
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #1

Aug 2010
Chicago
Default More Cinerama Smilebox movies in 2013?

Here's an interesting article on the 50th anniversary of Cinerama and the eventual bluray release of mutiple Cinerama films. http://www.in70mm.com/news/2011/cinerama/index.htm I quote:
"The complete catalog of these large screen 3 panel travelogue epics will be remastered in high definition for limited theatrical screenings at any digital venue and a home video release will follow."
Sounds like "This Is Cinerama", "Cinerama Holiday", "Seven Wonders of the World", "Search For Paradise", "South Seas Adventure", "Windjammer", and perhaps (?)"Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm". may see bluray smilebox releases in the next few years...

I realize this is of no interest to a vast majority of fans, but to Cinerama-fans this is great news.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

I don't have the MGM-HD channel - but 'Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm' has been shown and I hope a 2012 does indeed materialize
Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Orange Park, FL

This would be really cool if it did happen. I loved how the Smilebox looked for How the West Was Won. I still find the process to be more immersive than 3D. I'd really like to see 'This is Cinerama' and 'Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm.' I'm in.

Last edited by Donat96; 09-21-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #4

Aug 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
I don't have the MGM-HD channel - but 'Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm' has been shown and I hope a 2012 does indeed materialize
Yes, this release was better than the laser disk release which cropped the left and right sides, but a Smilebox release would correct the distortion on the left and right panel images in the transfer you mention. I believe this release is a 35 mm composite print which included the full image. Also, I don't believe this is available on BD.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemave View Post
Yes, this release was better than the laser disk release which cropped the left and right sides, but a Smilebox release would correct the distortion on the left and right panel images in the transfer you mention. I believe this release is a 35 mm composite print which included the full image. Also, I don't believe this is available on BD.
oh it's most definately not, that's why I hope that since a hidef transfer has been done AND been broadcast, the commercial release isn't that far behind.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemave View Post
Ive got the VHS, and the "fisheye" distortion is pretty noticeable on the "gimmick" scenery scenes.

There's been hints and plugs over on Trailers From Hell.com of the new theatrical restorations for This Is and Windjammer (which pretty much dropped off the face of the earth after Cinerama bought out rival Cinemiracle)
http://www.trailersfromhell.com/trailers/769
http://www.trailersfromhell.com/trailers/770 ,
but....darnit, nobody but film buffs buy the travelogues--
I wanna replace my copy of Grimm!

(And to give you some idea of how badly needed some of these restorations were:
My parents had an old copy of the Windjammer soundtrack LP growing up, and I've had this song implanted in my subconscious since childhood--And now you're stuck with it too.
)

Last edited by EricJ; 09-21-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Old 09-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #8

Dec 2008

I hope they do this in 3D to simulate the screen curve. The effect would work better than the 2D smilebox projection.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Expert Member

Jan 2008
San Antonio Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat96 View Post
This would be really cool if it did happen. I loved how the Smilebox looked for How the West Was Won. I still find the process to be more immersive than 3D. I'd really like to see 'This is Cinerama' and 'Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm.' I'm in.
Totally agree. Absolutely. The Smilebox simulation made the film make sense and immensely watchable. Glad I bought the original Digibook release as the re-release in regular packaging ditched the smilebox disc. Now the Digibook for How the West Was Won now OOP is getting hard to find. Bring on more Smilebox Cinerama restorations to Blu-Ray. Do it justice and do it right.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Orange Park, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2video2 View Post
Totally agree. Absolutely. The Smilebox simulation made the film make sense and immensely watchable. Glad I bought the original Digibook release as the re-release in regular packaging ditched the smilebox disc. Now the Digibook for How the West Was Won now OOP is getting hard to find. Bring on more Smilebox Cinerama restorations to Blu-Ray. Do it justice and do it right.
It's OOP? Damn, my Best Buy has at least three copies still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Sevens View Post
I hope they do this in 3D to simulate the screen curve. The effect would work better than the 2D smilebox projection.
When I saw the bolded part, I was about to go off ranting on you, but once I read the rest, I completely agree. I would actually consider buying a 3DTV just for that.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #11

Aug 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Ive got the VHS, and the "fisheye" distortion is pretty noticeable on the "gimmick" scenery scenes.

There's been hints and plugs over on Trailers From Hell.com of the new theatrical restorations for This Is and Windjammer (which pretty much dropped off the face of the earth after Cinerama bought out rival Cinemiracle)
http://www.trailersfromhell.com/trailers/769
http://www.trailersfromhell.com/trailers/770 ,
but....darnit, nobody but film buffs buy the travelogues--
I wanna replace my copy of Grimm!

(And to give you some idea of how badly needed some of these restorations were:
My parents had an old copy of the Windjammer soundtrack LP growing up, and I've had this song implanted in my subconscious since childhood--And now you're stuck with it too.
Windjammer 1958 The Village of New York Song - YouTube )
Thanks for the clip! You can see how pink this print has gone though. I'd wager there is picture missing from the right and left here too. Note the mop on the left, one of the characters even interacts with the person holding it at one point. The restoration should be eye-popping. I’m hoping with Bluray we’ll get 4-5 travelogues on a single disk. If nothing else, but for the historical snapshot they are of the world 50 years ago, in stunning Cinerama!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #12

Nov 2011

Quote:
I love the Smile Box simulated curved screen and I have a 60" 3D television. I found that you can use a function on the tv called 3D simulation which when engaged converts a 2D image into a simulated 3D image. It works best with bluray. When converting SmileBox to 3D you get a fairly good 3d image...BUT the big payoff is that you get the cool effect of having a curved screen coming out of your wall! Try this in a dark room and the effect in sensational!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #13

Mar 2011

As discussed on other threads, the first two from this effort are being released thorough Flicker Alley this September.

This is Cinerama http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/This-i...Blu-ray/43950/

Windjammer: The Voyage of the Christian Radich http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Windja...Blu-ray/43951/
Old 08-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #14

Jun 2012

^Randomly went to Flicker Alley's site just to read their blog and learn more on their releases.

Definitely pre-ordering both titles with the next paycheck.

Add two more titles to the many releases on 09/25.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2009
Inland Empire , CA
Default Cinerama

For anyone interested September 28 Arclight Hollywood 6360 Sunset LA is playing John Ford, Henry Hathaways and many mores "How the West Was Won" in their DOME seating 950 people amd its playing in true cinerama the way the film was shown when it was first released and even played at the very same theater so many years ago.

Arclightcinema.com
Old 08-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
Expert Member

Oct 2010
Hertfordshire, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2video2 View Post
You can always buy the UK Blu-ray. We only had one release issued and that only ever contained both versions. I'm pretty certain there wasn't a single disc re-release.
Flickr!|Fb|Discs

Pre-orders: Avengers: Phase One.
Steelbooks:
Old 08-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #17

Mar 2009
Hot and Humid Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tns49 View Post
As discussed on other threads, the first two from this effort are being released thorough Flicker Alley this September.

This is Cinerama http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/This-i...Blu-ray/43950/

Windjammer: The Voyage of the Christian Radich http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Windja...Blu-ray/43951/

Those are both cheaper if ordered directly from Flicker Alley. $39.95 (Amazon) vs. $29.96 (Flicker Alley)
Old 08-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #18

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard64 View Post
[/b]

Those are both cheaper if ordered directly from Flicker Alley. $39.95 (Amazon) vs. $29.96 (Flicker Alley)
Yep. Pre-ordered them from Flicker Alley when they were first announced.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #19

Nov 2011
Default SmileBox Curved Screen Simulation

Quote:
If you have a 3D television you can up-convert the 2D image in SmileBox to a "simulated" 3D image which actually creates the effect of a curved screen coming out of your viewing room wall...try this is a darkened room and it will amaze you!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdzmusicprod View Post
If you have a 3D television you can up-convert the 2D image in SmileBox to a "simulated" 3D image which actually creates the effect of a curved screen coming out of your viewing room wall...try this is a darkened room and it will amaze you!
I will try this later on,I am a fan of the 'smilebox' and that sound's interesting in 3D.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
4.00:1, cinerama, smilevision