Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$90.34
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rocky: Heavyweight Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 09-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Bay Area, Cali
Send a message via Yahoo to CZAR
Default Boxing/UFC

Man there are some huge matches remaining the rest of this year in both sports. Peep the lineup:

Boxing
Darren Barker vs. Sergio Gabriel Martinez (Oct. 1st)
Chad Dawson vs. Bernard Hopkins (Oct. 15th)
Carl Froch vs. Andre Ward (Oct. 29th)
Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Marquez (Nov. 12th)
Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto (Dec. 3rd)

UFC
Jon Jones vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (Sep. 24th)
Georges St-Pierre vs. Carlos Condit (Oct. 29th)
Nick Diaz vs. B.J. Penn (Oct. 29th)
Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos (Nov. 12th)
Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem (Dec. 30th)

There are other fights of course but those are the big fights to me. My prediction for the winners are in bold. I havnt decided on 3 of the UFC matches yet. Any thoughts on any of these matches? Got Em!!
"Quinton is IN....let the fun BEGIN" - Can't Buy Me Love
Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Community Gaming Moderator

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

I need to get back to UFC. Haven't paid much attention since UFC 1-5 where Royce Gracie and Shamrock were there when they had no no weight classes.

As for Boxing I like Hopkins & Martinez. The Pacquiao & Marquez fight Part 3 won't last more than 5 Rounds.

The rematch I'm interested in is that Margarito and Cotto match in December. Margarito is still suffering from that punishment he received from Pacquiao last November. Recent news is that Margarito has career ending injuries in his eye area from his last fight and he still won't admit Pacquiao hurt him.

I'll take Cotto on this one. He's the hotter fighter after his loss to Manny in 2009.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008
Boston, MA PSN: KingBing

I agree on all your Boxing picks. On your UFC's though I respectably disagree.

Dos Santos v Cain

Penn vs Diaz

GSP vs Condit

Bones vs Rampage

Brock vs Overeem
Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBing View Post

Dos Santos v Cain

Penn vs Diaz

GSP vs Condit

Bones vs Rampage

Brock vs Overeem
Fixed
Breaking Bad complete series Ultraviolet code 30$ PM ME!
MAIN
Samsung 52" 60 hz
Denon AVR 890
Polk 5.1 RM85
PS3 320GB Move bundle
OPPO-80 Region Free
Harmony One Remote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Bay Area, Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBing View Post

Dos Santos v Cain

Penn vs Diaz

GSP vs Condit

Bones vs Rampage

Brock vs Overeem
I hope Condit beats GSP but unsure if he will. That Brock matchup and that Rampage matchup, those are two tough to call. I want Rampage & Brock to win but need more research before I decide haha. No way Penn beats Diaz though. Actually Diaz wouldve been my choice to beat GSP if that was still the matchup. Got Em!!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Bay Area, Cali

Make sure u guys watch the Sergio Martinez fight tonight. I am telling yall no one wants to fight this dude. He could possibly beat either Mayweather or Pacquaio and thats real talk. Dude is a beast! Got Em!!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCruz View Post
I need to get back to UFC. Haven't paid much attention since UFC 1-5 where Royce Gracie and Shamrock were there when they had no no weight classes.

As for Boxing I like Hopkins & Martinez. The Pacquiao & Marquez fight Part 3 won't last more than 5 Rounds.

The rematch I'm interested in is that Margarito and Cotto match in December. Margarito is still suffering from that punishment he received from Pacquiao last November. Recent news is that Margarito has career ending injuries in his eye area from his last fight and he still won't admit Pacquiao hurt him.

I'll take Cotto on this one. He's the hotter fighter after his loss to Manny in 2009.
I could say the same about boxing. Boxing hasn't interested me much since I was a kid and you still had a decent heavyweight division. Some of the lightweight guys are good, but boxing really needs a strong heavyweight division to become more relevant. Once Mayweather and Manny are gone the last bit of interest I have for boxing will likely be gone.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:11 AM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Bay Area, Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadFL View Post
I could say the same about boxing. Boxing hasn't interested me much since I was a kid and you still had a decent heavyweight division. Some of the lightweight guys are good, but boxing really needs a strong heavyweight division to become more relevant. Once Mayweather and Manny are gone the last bit of interest I have for boxing will likely be gone.
I agree with u about the heavyweight division but there are some great boxers out there other than Mayweather & Pac. Be on the lookout for Sergio Martinez & Andre Ward. These two cats are the future of boxing. Martinez is already in his 30's but trust me he is just hitting his prime. Got Em!!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #9

Feb 2008
MA

The Hopkins vs Dawson has me excited. I love Hopkins skill.

Right now watching the Barker vs Martinez fight. Martinez has great natural abilities, which makes him entertaining. But really, he should work on some basic fundamentals a bit, for those times he gets in some trouble. Roy Jones Jr. fought a lot like this, and when his natural abilities deteriorated with age, Jones got in trouble and had nothing to rely on to defend himself.

Barker is fighting kindda like Arthur Abraham. Blocking a bunch of punchs, then throwing a few and back to blocking. Not a lot of slipping. Slipping lets you counter far better than blocking. But that's the European style for ya.

Anyway. The heavyweight class now is kindda empty. Yes, there's the Klitschko brothers, but they haven't had a good fight for a while. The other divisions are good though.

There's Nonito Donaire, Vic Darchinyan, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Jorge Arce, Timothy Bradly, Victor Ortiz, Andre Berto, Manny Pacquiao, Jan Manuel Marquez Miguel Cotto, Sergio Martinez, Andre Ward, Mikkel Kessler, Glen Johnson, Carl Froch, Lucian Bute, Bernard Hopkins, Chad Dawson. And then those are just the ones I believe to be the current bests, there's tons of other talents fighters.

Oh, and now Barker just got KOed.
Samsung PN-60E530
Samsung LN-52A650
Denon AVR-2310CI
Aperion Audio 4T (LF,RF) 5C (C) 5B (SL,SR SBL,SBR)
Aperion Audio Bravus 8D (Sub)
PS3 Slim (120GB) with Harmony PS3 Adapter
Harmony Touch
Displays Calibrated using Eye-One LT and HCFR
Old 10-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZAR;5280606[B
]I agree with u about the heavyweight division[/B] but there are some great boxers out there other than Mayweather & Pac. Be on the lookout for Sergio Martinez & Andre Ward. These two cats are the future of boxing. Martinez is already in his 30's but trust me he is just hitting his prime. Got Em!!
Yep had Mayweather and Pac been heavyweights I'm sure boxing would be even bigger for them. That shows just how good Mayweather and Pac are to draw the way they do being non-heavyweights.
Because it's easier to have courage from a safe distance away.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
Special Member

Feb 2011
Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd_nasty View Post
The Hopkins vs Dawson has me excited. I love Hopkins skill.

Right now watching the Barker vs Martinez fight. Martinez has great natural abilities, which makes him entertaining. But really, he should work on some basic fundamentals a bit, for those times he gets in some trouble. Roy Jones Jr. fought a lot like this, and when his natural abilities deteriorated with age, Jones got in trouble and had nothing to rely on to defend himself.

Barker is fighting kindda like Arthur Abraham. Blocking a bunch of punchs, then throwing a few and back to blocking. Not a lot of slipping. Slipping lets you counter far better than blocking. But that's the European style for ya.

Anyway. The heavyweight class now is kindda empty. Yes, there's the Klitschko brothers, but they haven't had a good fight for a while. The other divisions are good though.

There's Nonito Donaire, Vic Darchinyan, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Jorge Arce, Timothy Bradly, Victor Ortiz, Andre Berto, Manny Pacquiao, Jan Manuel Marquez Miguel Cotto, Sergio Martinez, Andre Ward, Mikkel Kessler, Glen Johnson, Carl Froch, Lucian Bute, Bernard Hopkins, Chad Dawson. And then those are just the ones I believe to be the current bests, there's tons of other talents fighters.

Oh, and now Barker just got KOed.
That was an odd knockout.
PSN =Ddt928
Old 10-07-2011, 02:56 AM   #12

Feb 2008
MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleScarredShogun View Post
That was an odd knockout.
Yeah, it sortta was. Barker did catch the punch on his glove. But...

Something the average joe doesn't realize is even when you block punches, you still feel it. You have you gloves up on your head, a punch lands on the glove, it's counted as a blocked punch. However, that energy still has effect. Sure the power is absorbed somewhat, but it's still there. Think of it like a Newtons Cradle.

And if you have you gloves slightly away from your face, and you get hit on the gloves, then your glove hits your face. That makes the hit hurt more. I noticed Barkers glove was an inch or so off his face, then Sergio hit Barkers glove, and then Barkers glove hit his face. The energy of Sergio's punch still landed, even though his fist didn't land clean.

Barker was blocking a lot of Sergio's punches, not avoiding via slipping or bobbing and weaving. So Barker was absorbing bits of Martinez's power all night, and then he got hit with that final shot and went down.
Samsung PN-60E530
Samsung LN-52A650
Denon AVR-2310CI
Harmony Touch

Last edited by SammyB; 10-07-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2011
Upstate New York

Quote:
Yeah, it sortta was. Barker did catch the punch on his glove. But...

Something the average joe doesn't realize is even when you block punches, you still feel it. You have you gloves up on your head, a punch lands on the glove, it's counted as a blocked punch. However, that energy still has effect. Sure the power is absorbed somewhat, but it's still there. Think of it like a Newtons Cradle.

And if you have you gloves slightly away from your face, and you get hit on the gloves, then your glove hits your face. That makes the hit hurt more. I noticed Barkers glove was an inch or so off his face, then Sergio hit Barkers glove, and then Barkers glove hit his face. The energy of Sergio's punch still landed, even though his fist didn't land clean.

Barker was blocking a lot of Sergio's punches, not avoiding via slipping or bobbing and weaving. So Barker was absorbing bits of Martinez's power all night, and then he got hit with that final shot and went down.
Lol I have extensive knowledge of the sport even though 'm not a boxer.

The punch was more of glancing blow and didn't land solidly. It looked like he cuffed his glove and head. I thought maybe it threw off his equilibrium, but the amount of pain he appeared to be in, did not correlate with the power of the punch that landed. Rather than to say it looked suspect I will say odd. I agree even though most of Martinez's punches were block, Barker still took a beating.
PSN =Ddt928

Last edited by BattleScarredShogun; 10-07-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #14

Feb 2008
MA

Quote:
The punch was more of glancing blow and didn't land solidly. It looked like he cuffed his glove and head. I thought maybe it threw off his equilibrium, but the amount of pain he appeared to be in, did not correlate with the power of the punch that landed. Rather than to say it looked suspect I will say odd. I agree even though most of Martinez's punches were block, Barker still took a beating.
Yeah, it wasn't thrown with Martinez's full power. And part of Martinez's glove looked like it landed, but part of Martinez's glove landed on Barker's glove. Barker's defense wasn't tight, his glove was an inch off his head, making the part that landed have more power. Barker's reaction did seem a bit extreme even with all that considered. But, as we both agree, while Barker was blocking, he was still feeling power all night. It could have just been cumulative.

Quote:
Lol I have extensive knowledge of the sport even though 'm not a boxer.
Had a good laugh reading that. I like how you said "extensive" knowledge. I know what you mean, but I found it funny. I thought I knew a lot about the sport too, then I got in the ring and realized I was so wrong. It's one thing to know about boxing from a viewer's perspective, and another from a boxer's perspective. You could know everything about boxing, from proper technique, defensive, offensive, to boxing history, and everything in between. But you gain a whole different perspective actually doing it.
Samsung PN-60E530
Samsung LN-52A650
Denon AVR-2310CI
Harmony Touch

Last edited by SammyB; 10-07-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2011
Upstate New York

Quote:
Had a good laugh reading that. I like how you said "extensive" knowledge. I know what you mean, but I found it funny. I thought I knew a lot about the sport too, then I got in the ring and realized I was so wrong. It's one thing to know about boxing from a viewer's perspective, and another from a boxer's perspective. You could know everything about boxing, from proper technique, defensive, offensive, to boxing history, and everything in between. But you gain a whole different perspective actually doing it.
I say extensive b/c ive been around boxing since I was a child and Ive watched a lot of boxing matches as well. I had a couple pro boxers in my family. Ive met the likes of Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Don King, Michael Spinks and a few others. I boxed as a youth and decided it wasn't for me. As far as whats being discussed; we're all spectators. None of us are getting punched as were watching these fights. You don't have to be a fighter to recognize what your seeing in a fight. I would never be foolish enough to think what Ive seen on tv would correlate to me physically in the ring lol.
PSN =Ddt928
Old 10-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #16

Feb 2008
MA

Quote:
I would never be foolish enough to think what Ive seen on tv would correlate to me physically in the ring lol.
Where did I say that? Because I said blocking punches doesn't void it's effect? You agreed for one thing, and for another it's a fact... Sometimes I mention some of the psychological aspects of boxing, but I never say that is for a fact what a fighter was thinking. And the psychological aspect is something only truly understood from getting in the ring yourself. So yeah, call me foolish, that's one way to prove you truly know everything...
Samsung PN-60E530
Samsung LN-52A650
Denon AVR-2310CI
Harmony Touch
Old 10-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #17
Special Member

Feb 2011
Upstate New York

Quote:
Where did I say that? Because I said blocking punches doesn't void it's effect? You agreed for one thing, and for another it's a fact... Sometimes I mention some of the psychological aspects of boxing, but I never say that is for a fact what a fighter was thinking. And the psychological aspect is something only truly understood from getting in the ring yourself. So yeah, call me foolish, that's one way to prove you truly know everything...
I guess I should be more clear. I consider myself as having extensive knowledge of the sport of boxing in comparison to the average Joe, boxing fan. I wasn't calling you foolish. I just wanted u to understand that I am fully aware of the differences between spectating and actually being in the ring.
PSN =Ddt928
Old 10-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #18

Feb 2008
MA

Quote:
I guess I should be more clear. I consider myself as having extensive knowledge of the sport of boxing in comparison to the average Joe, boxing fan. I wasn't calling you foolish. I just wanted u to understand that I am fully aware of the differences between spectating and actually being in the ring.
And I wasn't calling you, or any specific member an average Joe. Seems as though you reacted as if I did. I was saying that a large percent of those who watch boxing don't realize blocking doesn't void a punches effect completely. I didn't say you don't know, but I was saying the average Joe. The guy who likes boxing, but only knows Pacquiao, Mayweather, the big names. So, I don't care if you're fully aware one way or the other, I wasn't commenting on your knowledge. I was sharing my knowledge for anybody who doesn't know.
Samsung PN-60E530
Samsung LN-52A650
Denon AVR-2310CI
Harmony Touch
Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #19

Feb 2008
MA

Anybody else ordering Hopkins vs Dawson this Saturday? I've been looking forward to this for a while now. Saturdays are always my favorite day because I spar on those days. And this Saturday I have that and the Bernard fight to look forward to.

Oh and by the way, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch has been rescheduled for December 17th. Apparently Ward got cut while sparring, needing 7 stitches.

I wonder if he was wearing headgear?... I mean, a lot of guys don't, because they restrict your vision a bit and don't feel natural. Plus there's people who say head gear doesn't protect against brain injuries so some boxers don't see much of a point. Headgear does however protect against bruises and cuts... It's kindda rare to get cut with headgear.

EDIT: Just watched a clip about the Ward vs Froch fight. Apparently Ward was wearing headgear. That's rather odd, but still very possible.
Samsung PN-60E530
Samsung LN-52A650
Denon AVR-2310CI
Harmony Touch

Last edited by SammyB; 10-12-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
Special Member

Feb 2011
Upstate New York

Quote:
Anybody else ordering Hopkins vs Dawson this Saturday? I've been looking forward to this for a while now. Saturdays are always my favorite day because I spar on those days. And this Saturday I have that and the Bernard fight to look forward to.

Oh and by the way, Andre Ward vs Carl Froch has been rescheduled for December 17th. Apparently Ward got cut while sparring, needing 7 stitches.

I wonder if he was wearing headgear?... I mean, a lot of guys don't, because they restrict your vision a bit and don't feel natural. Plus there's people who say head gear doesn't protect against brain injuries so some boxers don't see much of a point. Headgear does however protect against bruises and cuts... It's kindda rare to get cut with headgear.

EDIT: Just watched a clip about the Ward vs Froch fight. Apparently Ward was wearing headgear. That's rather odd, but still very possible.
I like Dawson in the fight. I think Pascal's style was a favorable match-up for B Hop but I think Dawson will out point him.

I can't wait to see Froch Ward. Disappointing news of the delay though.
I favor Ward in this one, but I think it will be a great match.
PSN =Ddt928
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > Sports