Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$12.36
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Creepshow (Blu-ray)
$5.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 09-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #1

Apr 2010
Unhappy Oppo BDP-83 audio clipping in star wars

I just got my copy of star wars, but I have had problems with the audio on AOTC and ANH. Seems its the oppo player, the clipping(audio cuts) doesn't appear on my ps3.

Has anyone else had this problem.

Are there anything I can do about it?

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #2

Aug 2008
Brooklyn, NY

Try to install latest firmware.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #3

Apr 2010

I have the latest firmware. It's from march. I also did a check via auto update, there are no newer firmware
Old 09-24-2011, 03:31 AM   #4

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbon View Post
I just got my copy of star wars, but I have had problems with the audio on AOTC and ANH. Seems its the oppo player, the clipping(audio cuts) doesn't appear on my ps3.

Has anyone else had this problem.

Are there anything I can do about it?

Thanks.
Well a few of the OPPO experts have said that this issue is not inherent to the player. If you look at the issues related to audio dropouts or static, they have been isolated to specific receivers. With these receivers, regardless of the source device, the dropouts or static are repeatable. Non-repeatable dropouts can be the player or cables. The workaround some people are using if they have similar problems is that you can always set the player to LPCM and have it do the audio decoding if you experience errors with the player bitstreaming to your receiver. You still get lossless, it's just pre-decoded by the player prior to going out to your receiver. It is likely that you will not perceive any difference in the audio quality.
EQUIPMENT:Panasonic TH-65PZ850U plasma
OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Onkyo PR-SC5507P-Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-2 Mythos 4 (l/r)-1 Mythos 8 (c)-2 Mythos BPX (sides)-2 NHT Super Zero (rears)-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor-Xbox 360 Elite-Roku 3 streaming player-DVDO Edge, Darbeevision Darblet
Old 09-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I PCM everything the only problem I had was Attack of the Clones froze on me in two parts I did the latest firmware update and it fixed all of my problems.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the Greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King Spring Breakers Mulholland Drive
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
front speakers B&W 683 center B&W HTM61 surrounds B&W 685 subwoofer Velodyne DLS 4000R
Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

I have an Oppo-BDP 83SE, and experienced no audio drop outs so far.
Have watched I-V already, and tons of special features.

I am using the analog outputs however.
When are they going to release these movies on BD?:Crossroads (Walter Hill; Steve Vai),Fun with Dick and Jane (Jim Carrey, Tea Leoni), Man on the Moon (Jim Carrey), Alien Autopsy,Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (Jodie Foster),Fierce Creatures (John Cleese, Eric Idle, J.L.Curtis)Housesitter(Steve Martin, Goldie Hawn),Bowfinger (Steve M.), Shopgirl (Steve M.),Out of Towners (Steve Martin),Spanglish,The Odd Couple 2 (Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau),Wallace and Gromit- The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,
Old 09-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #7

Apr 2010
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsjr View Post
Well a few of the OPPO experts have said that this issue is not inherent to the player. If you look at the issues related to audio dropouts or static, they have been isolated to specific receivers. With these receivers, regardless of the source device, the dropouts or static are repeatable. Non-repeatable dropouts can be the player or cables. The workaround some people are using if they have similar problems is that you can always set the player to LPCM and have it do the audio decoding if you experience errors with the player bitstreaming to your receiver. You still get lossless, it's just pre-decoded by the player prior to going out to your receiver. It is likely that you will not perceive any difference in the audio quality.
Thanks guys for all the replies.

I tried setting the audio to LPCM and that fixed the problem.

Another thing I figured out yesterday was to set the HDMI setting to Compatible (HDMI 1.1/1.2) and not Advanced in the setup wizard after I rest to factory default. That too fixed the audio clipping.

Again, thanks guys for all the input

Last edited by karbon; 09-25-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Special Member

Mar 2010

Members over at avsforum.com who own the Pioneer 320 and 23FD bd players have experienced the same problems with the new Star Wars bluray movies and it seems to be because of 20th Century Fox titles and not the bd machine, I contacted Pioneer to let them know about this so if they can send out a firmware to adapt their players to the new Fox titles.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
A bit off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
I have an Oppo-BDP 83SE, and experienced no audio drop outs so far.
Have watched I-V already, and tons of special features.

I am using the analog outputs however.
Have the 83se too,and no audio issues what-so-ever.Dunno what can be your problem...Call oppo?
Don't complain Kubrick isn't around anymore when you have Fincher.

Self improvement is masturbation-Tyler Durden
Old 10-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #10

Sep 2007
San Leandro, CA

Have you upgraded the FW? I have no problem with SW but i have audio clippin on Transformers DOM i have 2 clipping after the update theres only tiny audio clip ill wait for another FW update hopefully it'll fix it
Old 10-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #11

Oct 2007
Thumbs down Star Wars Blu-ray Audio Problems

I have Star Wars the Complete Saga on Blu-ray and I hear audio clipping pops, crackle and static on audio channel 6 and audio channel 7 of my 7.1 surround system. My Blu-ray player is a Sony BDP-S780 (updated with Sony's latest firmware) and my receiver is a Sony STR-DA5300ES. When I switch the audio output on my Blu-ray player to PCM, the audio defects are gone but sound quality is noticably diminished. I will leave the audio output on my Blu-ray player set to Auto because the sound quality of the automatic DTS HD-Master Audio "flag" is superior to PCM. But 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has got to fix these audio issues when the automatic DTS HD-Master Audio "flag" is used on all Blu-ray players when Star Wars Blu-rays are played. I've returned my Star Wars Saga to Best Buy for an exchange, but these audio problems still exist on the exchanged Blu-ray set. It was a long wait to see Star Wars on Blu-ray. Please let 20th Century Fox fix and replace our defective discs.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #12

Oct 2007
Thumbs down Star Wars Blu-ray Audio Problems

I have Star Wars the Complete Saga on Blu-ray and I hear audio clipping pops, crackle and static on audio channel 6 and audio channel 7 of my 7.1 surround system. My Blu-ray player is a Sony BDP-S780 (updated with Sony's latest firmware) and my receiver is a Sony STR-DA5300ES. When I switch the audio output on my Blu-ray player to PCM, the audio defects are gone but sound quality is noticably diminished. I will leave the audio output on my Blu-ray player set to Auto because the sound quality of the automatic DTS HD-Master Audio "flag" is superior to PCM. But 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has got to fix these audio issues when the automatic DTS HD-Master Audio "flag" is used on all Blu-ray players when Star Wars Blu-rays are played. I've returned my Star Wars Saga to Best Buy for an exchange, but these audio problems still exist on the exchanged Blu-ray set. It was a long wait to see Star Wars on Blu-ray. Please let 20th Century Fox fix and replace our defective discs.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:28 AM   #13

Aug 2008
Calgary, AB Canada
Send a message via MSN to livingproof73

I am having the exact same issue with A New Hope - the audio pops and cuts out and my amp display keeps flashing DTS-HD MR when this happens. I don't own the Oppo, but it's happening on my PS3.
Pioneer VSX-1122
Sony KDL-70R550A
Samsung BD-F7500
Shaw Direct PVR630
PS3 Slim (300 G)
XBOX 360
Toshiba HD DVD-XA2
Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingproof73 View Post
I am having the exact same issue with A New Hope - the audio pops and cuts out and my amp display keeps flashing DTS-HD MR when this happens. I don't own the Oppo, but it's happening on my PS3.
The same thing has happened too me a few times before. The issue you are having is not a fault with the Star Wars blu-rays or your blu-ray player, it's caused by your receiver. Unfortunately some of the 1st model receivers (from a few different manufacturers) that could decode dts hd ma suffer from a known issue called dts bomb, where during some movies that have dts hd ma tracks you will hear popping sounds coming from your speaker.

The only way to stop it from happening is to set your blu-ray player to PCM instead of bitstream for the audio output, so rather than the receiver decoding the lossless codecs the blu-ray player does it. The audio quality will be identical, but your receiver will not light up with the dts hd ma and dolby digital true hd icons.

You should also check with the manufacturer of your receiver to see if newer firmware is available for it, as some manufacturers did fix the issue in a firmware update.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avp/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote

Last edited by Cevolution; 10-31-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:10 AM   #15

Aug 2008
Calgary, AB Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
The same thing has happened too me a few times before. The issue you are having is not a fault with the Star Wars blu-rays or your blu-ray player, it's caused by your receiver. Unfortunately some of the 1st model receivers (from a few different manufacturers) that could decode dts hd ma suffer from a known issue called dts bomb, where during some movies that have dts hd ma tracks you will hear popping sounds coming from your speaker.

The only way to stop it from happening is to set your blu-ray player to PCM instead of bitstream for the audio output, so rather than the receiver decoding the lossless codecs the blu-ray player does it. The audio quality will be identical, but your receiver will not light up with the dts hd ma and dolby digital true hd icons.

You should also check with the manufacturer of your receiver to see if newer firmware is available for it, as some manufacturers did fix the issue in a firmware update.
I figured that is what it was and searched online and found that Pioneer does indeed have a firmware update for this issue. Now the joys of taking the receiver in for the update.
Pioneer VSX-1122
Sony KDL-70R550A
Samsung BD-F7500
Shaw Direct PVR630
PS3 Slim (300 G)
XBOX 360
Toshiba HD DVD-XA2
Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #16

Aug 2008
Calgary, AB Canada

Well.....I ended up taking my amp in for a firmware upgrade for the DTS bomb and tried Star Wars again and no change! Still getting the popping sounds and crackling. Also now tried another blu ray player with the latest firmware and no
change.
Pioneer VSX-1122
Sony KDL-70R550A
Samsung BD-F7500
Shaw Direct PVR630
PS3 Slim (300 G)
XBOX 360
Toshiba HD DVD-XA2

Last edited by livingproof73; 11-10-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Forgot the email notification
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders