COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Green Planet (Blu-ray)
$80.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Dumbo (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$16.19
Nymphomaniac: Volume II (Blu-ray)
$13.92
Inside Job (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
BluChris BluChris is offline
Member
 
BluChris's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
755
1
35
Default Combining LG passive 3D TV w/ Sony player?

So I'm ready to jump into 3D with both feet. Tried to do my research, but it's a lot to digest and most of it is new to me. I was able to discern the difference between passive & active technology though.

Based on my understanding of the respective techs, I think I would prefer the passive and it's battery-less glasses. I am aware of the drawbacks in picture quality though. I also understand that, if I want passive, I need an LG. I've selected the LG Infinia 55LW5600.

For the blu-ray player I selected (with the help of a forum member) the Sony BDP-S780. I based this selection on two things: 1) past positive experience with Sony blu players, and 2) its ability to convert 2D blus to a pseudo 3D (I realize this will never be as good as a true 3D blu, but it still intrigues me).

My question is this: are the two compatible? Some people said that, if I get an LG TV, I need an LG player. I was also concerned that the Sony 2D to 3D conversion will only work on an active 3D TV. Do you think this is a valid concern? or will the conversion still work on a passive 3D TV? I am very interested in that feature, and its absence could be a deal breaker.

Thank you in advance!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
banibale banibale is offline
Active Member
 
banibale's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
BRONX, NY
35
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluChris View Post
So I'm ready to jump into 3D with both feet. Tried to do my research, but it's a lot to digest and most of it is new to me. I was able to discern the difference between passive & active technology though.

Based on my understanding of the respective techs, I think I would prefer the passive and it's battery-less glasses. I am aware of the drawbacks in picture quality though. I also understand that, if I want passive, I need an LG. I've selected the LG Infinia 55LW5600.

For the blu-ray player I selected (with the help of a forum member) the Sony BDP-S780. I based this selection on two things: 1) past positive experience with Sony blu players, and 2) its ability to convert 2D blus to a pseudo 3D (I realize this will never be as good as a true 3D blu, but it still intrigues me).

My question is this: are the two compatible? Some people said that, if I get an LG TV, I need an LG player. I was also concerned that the Sony 2D to 3D conversion will only work on an active 3D TV. Do you think this is a valid concern? or will the conversion still work on a passive 3D TV? I am very interested in that feature, and its absence could be a deal breaker.

Thank you in advance!
You wont have any problems, the 2D to 3D convertion comes from the player... Besides that the LG passive 3D tvs has a button on the controller for 2D to 3D.. And dont worry about picture drawbacks as soon as the tv gets a internet conection it will download a firmware update to fix the picture to wow!!. im really happy with my tv, here is a link to let you know why passive LG 3D is not a bad choice.. Good luck http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/13/390...mpetition.html
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100

Last edited by banibale; 09-27-2011 at 02:52 AM. Reason: typo
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:28 AM   #3
slickkeng slickkeng is offline
Active Member
 
Sep 2007
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluChris View Post
So I'm ready to jump into 3D with both feet. Tried to do my research, but it's a lot to digest and most of it is new to me. I was able to discern the difference between passive & active technology though.

Based on my understanding of the respective techs, I think I would prefer the passive and it's battery-less glasses. I am aware of the drawbacks in picture quality though. I also understand that, if I want passive, I need an LG. I've selected the LG Infinia 55LW5600.

For the blu-ray player I selected (with the help of a forum member) the Sony BDP-S780. I based this selection on two things: 1) past positive experience with Sony blu players, and 2) its ability to convert 2D blus to a pseudo 3D (I realize this will never be as good as a true 3D blu, but it still intrigues me).

My question is this: are the two compatible? Some people said that, if I get an LG TV, I need an LG player. I was also concerned that the Sony 2D to 3D conversion will only work on an active 3D TV. Do you think this is a valid concern? or will the conversion still work on a passive 3D TV? I am very interested in that feature, and its absence could be a deal breaker.

Thank you in advance!
The LG55LW5600 is a fantastic TV set. You dont have to worry about compatibility on 3D content (ie Bluray 3D) - it will work whether active or passive. The same goes for players and TVs - as long as they are 3D capable you will be fine. Also, the LG has a 3D conversion option which will convert any source including files you downloading off the internet so you're set in terms of 2D to 3D conversion. Finally, what banibale was alluding to with the latest firmward update, I believe it is 04.01.30 there is new algorithm for the 3D that makes 3D content essential 1080p. You can still see a tiny difference but the 3D is for all practical purposes 1080p (not half the resolution as you may have been lead to believe). Anyhow, it is a solid choice for a TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
Rupert305 Rupert305 is offline
Active Member
 
Rupert305's Avatar
 
May 2011
SO. CAL
391
4
1
74
Default

I currently have a LG42PW350 in my room hooked up to a Sony BDP-480 and have had no issues whatsoever. My TV uses the active style glasses. When I have the Blu-ray player on and I turn off the TV the player actually shuts off with the TV. It will not switch inputs automatically though when you put a disc into the player when there is no other source present. (If you have the TV on HDMI 1 and your player is HDMI 2, you would need to manually switch it over to HDMI 2). I've had this set up for about 4 months with no issues.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
BluChris BluChris is offline
Member
 
BluChris's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
755
1
35
Default

Thanks for the info guys! Good stuff... Sounds like I don't need the Sony player for 2D to 3D conversion since the TV will do it for me. I wonder what happens when you set the player to convert AND the TV to convert? Would I get "super" 2D to 3D conversion?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #6
bluflu bluflu is offline
Special Member
 
bluflu's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluChris View Post
I wonder what happens when you set the player to convert AND the TV to convert? Would I get "super" 2D to 3D conversion?
Don't give Toshiba any ideas.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
BluChris BluChris is offline
Member
 
BluChris's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
755
1
35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluflu View Post
Don't give Toshiba any ideas.
LOL. All kidding aside though, what would happen? Would it just become a jumbled mess that your glasses couldn't sort out? Would the TV take priority over the player's conversion and do all the work (or vice versa)? or would it cancel out and you'd be left with just plain 2D?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
banibale banibale is offline
Active Member
 
banibale's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
BRONX, NY
35
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluChris View Post
Thanks for the info guys! Good stuff... Sounds like I don't need the Sony player for 2D to 3D conversion since the TV will do it for me. I wonder what happens when you set the player to convert AND the TV to convert? Would I get "super" 2D to 3D conversion?
If the tv is getting converted 3D signals from the player, the 2D to 3D wont be available on the tv because it only works when 2D signals are displaying on the screen. 3D to 3D wont work.. But good idea lol.
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #9
BluChris BluChris is offline
Member
 
BluChris's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
755
1
35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by banibale View Post
If the tv is getting converted 3D signals from the player, the 2D to 3D wont be available on the tv because it only works when 2D signals are displaying on the screen. 3D to 3D wont work.. But good idea lol.
Haha. It was worth a shot. Thanks again for the help!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:01 PM.