COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Long Goodbye (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Thieves Like Us (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
White Lightning (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Viva Maria! (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Coming Home (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Pocketful of Miracles (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.98
Man of the West (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Mud (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #1

Jan 2008
Default Fast Five packaging...redundant?

Ok. So the Fast Five packaging is really confusing and stupid. First there is the DVD + Blu + DC in a DVD size box for $24.99. Then there is the Blu + DVD + DC in the Bluray size box for $19.99, Both versions are the extended cut. I saw this at Target and Wal-Mart. I belive BB is the same way. Is it me or is this just stupid. I know there are more important things in the world to worry about, but it is kind of annoying that they did that. This is the first time I have ever seen that. I will be getting theBluray box (because ALL my BR is in the blue plasitc sleeker style) But then it is cheaper too. Am I the only one this bothers? Supid distributers.
Samsung HLS5687 1080P DLP
500GB PS3
Onkyo TXSR 705
Harmony Remote 550
Wii
Panisonic BDPT210

And all around great guy...just ask me
Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertacrit View Post
Ok. So the Fast Five packaging is really confusing and stupid. First there is the DVD + Blu + DC in a DVD size box for $24.99. Then there is the Blu + DVD + DC in the Bluray size box for $19.99, Both versions are the extended cut. I saw this at Target and Wal-Mart. I belive BB is the same way. Is it me or is this just stupid. I know there are more important things in the world to worry about, but it is kind of annoying that they did that. This is the first time I have ever seen that. I will be getting theBluray box (because ALL my BR is in the blue plasitc sleeker style) But then it is cheaper too. Am I the only one this bothers? Supid distributers.
Several releases - Disney titles especially - have had 2 types of boxes (DVD size and blu size). And no, it doesn't bother me, because I just buy the one I'd rather have.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Exactly. Don't see why it would really both anyone. The DVD style box is for the people who haven't embraced Blu-ray yet. And a lot of collectors who are anal, hate any packaging that is different than what they already have. See how people complain here constantly. But look, they get a Blu-ray disc... so it's an enticement for them to consider doing so. Plus an incentive when they finally do, they already have some discs.
Bat-Mite: "Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots then the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy."

Batman: The Brave & The Bold - Legend of the Dark Mite.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Special Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

Yeah, this has been going on for a while -- it's so they can appeal to both the Blu-Ray owners and DVD owners (DVD owners may be less likely to buy a Blu-Ray case, even if it says it has a DVD). The other way, it feels like they're getting a 'free' blu-ray and not vice versa. It also helps match collections and get better product placement in stores (DVD Shelves, whereas DVD customers might not look in the Blu-Ray section).

I think it is a problem though, as some stores will sell out of the Blu+DVD packs (leaving only the DVD cased versions) or only stock/stock more of the DVD+BLU versions (places like Toys R Us, Walmart, etc..)
Old 10-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
Expert Member

Jan 2010
California

This is nothing new, its essentially to try and convert dvd buyers to blu-ray.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Albany NY

Having a choice is a great thing. If people like to display their dvd's and want their things uniform I guess it makes great sense.
http://www.bemealittle.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5519652...851207/detail/
Samsung LN46B630, Yamaha RX-V765
Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 60's, Polk Monitor 40's
BIC Acoustec PL-200 Sub
Sony BDP-S570
Old 10-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #7

Dec 2010
Nanuet, NY

It seems silly, but it works! I was at BB the morning Lion King was released, and I saw many customers choosing the DVD-sized configuration--mostly college-age kids, which was surprising!

Also, for rental outlets like mine, the DVD packaging and slipcover can be very helpful in combination with the Blu packaging and slipcover... 2 items can be 4 very successfully...

Last edited by Lennylu; 10-09-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underworld54 View Post
Having a choice is a great thing. If people like to display their dvd's and want their things uniform I guess it makes great sense.
Yep, more choices for consumers is never a bad thing. Can't really see why the two options would bother anyone.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->126 UV-------->250

I think the Fast & Furious franchise is redundant and should have stopped after one sequel, but that's just me.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
Power Member

Apr 2008

I work at kroger and we got the fast five releases and lion king both in these packaging. I had the hardest time explaining to customers what the difference was in the two. That was very annoying.
46' Sammy 550 LCD
60gb PS3
HD-DVD A2
Sony 5.1 Surround System
Old 10-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #11

Jan 2011

how bout the redundency of Green Lantern next week?

Single disc blu
Combo disc blu
Steelbook blu (BB exclusive)
3D combo disc blu
Old 10-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #12
Expert Member

Sep 2008
United States of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelPhoenix View Post
how bout the redundency of Green Lantern next week?

Single disc blu
Combo disc blu
Steelbook blu (BB exclusive)
3D combo disc blu
I think the redundency of the Green Lantern being released, is that it's being released!

why does that movie need to be released to the theaters, and also on home-video? redundant waste of raw materials printing those dvd's and blurays.... imo (bad movie)
Seeking: Best Buy Exclusive Dark Knight Rises Steelbook. PM me.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
USA

Well, it's because you're not the producers of the show or movie concerned that's why you don't care about it's economics. The producers want to milk the movies concerned since it cost a lot of money to produce them. They want to earn that's why they have to release them in different packages to entice consumers to spend money. Some will buy multiple copies or some don't care like most of you.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertacrit View Post
Yeah, you are right! There are a lot of things in this world to worry about. Manufacturers do these things to cater to different tastes among consumers.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009

It worked out for me with The Lion King. I had the metal case so all I did was buy the 2 disc DVD case version and I was able to give my father the dvd case while I just took the blu-ray for the metal case.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethRex View Post
It worked out for me with The Lion King. I had the metal case so all I did was buy the 2 disc DVD case version and I was able to give my father the dvd case while I just took the blu-ray for the metal case.
Good for you. It's better to have a lot of choices to buy instead of just one.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #17
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Wait...so BB offered 2 different Blu-ray steelbooks (a DVD size case and a BD size case)?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #18
Expert Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

this thread is funny. A studio offers a choice for us to pick whichever combination of features and packaging we want and people complain its too hard to figure it out. better hope this studio isn't reading this or we will end up with funimation type combo packs where there is just a dvd case with both disks inside. Just wait til that happens

thanks
T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 10-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underworld54 View Post
This. Options are always great, and if you don't plan to pick up that copy, don't bother making a thread-specific for one title. Ask a mod to edit the title to something like "Blu-rays- DVD vs BD packaging" , or something like that, then it will be more relevant rather than title specific as it's far from the first to do so.
Looking for DVD slipcovers only: Luther Series 3. Haibane Renmei (DVD Anime Classics). Desert Punk (DVD Repackage). Le Chevalier D'Eon (DVD). Gun x Sword (Repackage). PM me.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydrugar View Post
this thread is funny. A studio offers a choice for us to pick whichever combination of features and packaging we want and people complain its too hard to figure it out. better hope this studio isn't reading this or we will end up with funimation type combo packs where there is just a dvd case with both disks inside. Just wait til that happens

thanks
T
Then, and only then, may we cry out in rage. I do so because they released Eden of the East movies like this, while the series was in a BD-sized case. I understand it's a series vs. a movie, but still, give us the option of choosing like Paramount or other studios do.
Looking for DVD slipcovers only: Luther Series 3. Haibane Renmei (DVD Anime Classics). Desert Punk (DVD Repackage). Le Chevalier D'Eon (DVD). Gun x Sword (Repackage). PM me.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America