COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Uta no Prince-sama 2000%: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$23.24
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 10-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #1

Nov 2007
Default Do you go to the movies ALONE ?

I wonder if there are members here who regularly go to the movies alone.

And I want to know what you think about those who do.

It's just curiosity. I don't do it myself, not because I find something strictly wrong with it, but because I'm not used to it. The only time I did it was years ago. I was just a kid, and I felt lost and isolated.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

i've never gone alone but have come close a couple times before.

i'm not against it....if i can't find anyone to go with and it's a movie i really want to see, i'll go alone.
Blu-Benny’s 7.2 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"
Old 10-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
California

Very rarely...I haven't done it in 20 years.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Special Member

Jun 2010

I do sometimes. Pain to find people to go with sometimes, and I'd rather catch a movie I want to see myself rather than miss it and have to wait and Netflix it later.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Only losers, nerds, and virgins go to theater alone obviously.

Kidding - I go alone all the time. It's no big deal. If one watches movies by themselves at home or eats at home by themselves, then there is no big deal going to theater or restaurant by themselves.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Shropshire, UK
Send a message via MSN to dallywhitty

There has only been one occasion in which I saw a film at the cinemas alone, and that was upon the re-release of Back to the Future last year. I wish I hadn't been so bothered about people accompanying me when it came to Toy Story (the 3D re-release) and Drag Me To Hell; my friends didn't want to see them and so I missed both.
Favourite film: Blade Runner --- Favourite director: David Lynch
Favourite album: Movement by New Order --- Favourite novel: It by Stephen King
Currently reading: How Not to Run a Club by Peter Hook

LA ROUX - TROUBLE IN PARADISE (OUT NOW)
(Uptight Downtown / Kiss and Not Tell / Cruel Sexuality / Paradise is You / Sexotheque
Tropical Chancer / Silent Partner / Let Me Down Gently / The Feeling)
Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2008
Bay Area 510!!!

I almost went alone recently, when i wanted to watch Transformers 3 and my wife didnt, I was all ready to go and she felt bad and tagged along, of course she LOVED the movie, lol

But i dont oppose going alone, no big deal imo
When i got home that evening, I went straight to the garage and practiced my draw and SHOUT techniques as well as my roll, somersault and aim drills and made myself a promise that I would never ever be caught off-guard again.-dfinch

SF GIANTS 2010 & 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2007
Iowa

My friends never want to go to the movies so I will occasionally go alone. This year I went to Transformers 3 and the final Harry Potter by myself because they were both movies I wanted to see in 3D in the theater. One year of college I had an apartment that was just down the street from the theater and I'd go to the movies 1-2 times a week, usually alone.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

This is an interesting debate that I've had with many friends, co-workers, and even my roommates.

99% of the people I've talked to about this consider it some sort of social faux-pas to go to the theatre alone. This pisses me off to no end because it shows the general change in mentality about the public viewing experience. So many people now believe that the experience is a group related activity. This leads to all of the retarded bullsh!t we have to deal with in theatres during feature presentations these days (cellphones, conversations, colour commentaries, etc, etc, etc).

The process of sitting down and watching a film, no matter how many ways you try and slice it, is a very personal and individual experience even if you and all of your family and friends rent the theatre for yourselves. You can only experience a singular point of view during the initial viewing of a film. So, I really can't understand the group-think opinion about equating "going to the movies" with "have to go in groups."

So... does that show clearly enough where I myself fit in the OP's question?
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
MAINE
Send a message via Skype™ to MovieFanatic2010

When i was single 17 years ago i went to the movies alone all the time...........I used to sneak in a couple beers back then.......... I mainly went in the daytime when there was hardly anyone in the theater.
BASEMENT HOME THEATER - EPSON 5030UB 2D/3D PROJECTOR W/ 100" ELITE SCREEN - RECEIVER - HARMON KARDON 1710 7.2
FRONT SPEAKERS - INFINITY PRIMUS P363 CENTER SPEAKER INFINITY PRIMUS PC351 - SIDES AND REARS POLK AUDIO 30'S + 40'S
SUBWOOFERS PREMIER ACOUSTIC PA-120 650 WATT TITANIUM + POLK AUDIO PSW110
BASS SHAKERS BASH 500 WATT AMP + 2 CLARK TRANSDUCERS
BEDROOM DISPLAY - PANASONIC VIERA TC-P60UT50 60 -INCH 3D PLASMA
Old 10-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Out there...past the trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
This is an interesting debate that I've had with many friends, co-workers, and even my roommates.

99% of the people I've talked to about this consider it some sort of social faux-pas to go to the theatre alone. This pisses me off to no end because it shows the general change in mentality about the public viewing experience. So many people now believe that the experience is a group related activity. This leads to all of the retarded bullsh!t we have to deal with in theatres during feature presentations these days (cellphones, conversations, colour commentaries, etc, etc, etc).

The process of sitting down and watching a film, no matter how many ways you try and slice it, is a very personal and individual experience even if you and all of your family and friends rent the theatre for yourselves. You can only experience a singular point of view during the initial viewing of a film. So, I really can't understand the group-think opinion about equating "going to the movies" with "have to go in groups."

So... does that show clearly enough where I myself fit in the OP's question?
I'm with ya.

I think about half of the movies I've been to have been on my own. When I'm with other people, I find myself worrying whether or not the person next to me is really enjoying the film or not (might be a dumb thing for me to worry about, I dunno). A few times, I found myself annoyed with the people I was with. In the end, I'm not seeing the appeal of going to the movies as a social activity. It'd have to be somebody close, who I know will enjoy the film as much as I will, and will remain civilized. But for the most part, I go for my own enjoyment, and would rather not be bothered by others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Only losers, nerds, and virgins go to theater alone obviously.
I'm one of the nerds.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Arizona

I have gone to the cinema by myself and will do so in the future, nothing wrong with it. There are times where my wife doesn't want to see the film that I want so I will go alone.

When The Dark Knight and 300 came out my wife wanted to see those but I went back and saw them each probably 4-5 times before they were pulled.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

All the time. I'm going to watch the movie, not socialize with the people next to me. I'm also secure enough to actually do things by myself without needing other people's affirmations.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
Power Member

Aug 2009
Tejas

I have never gone to the theater alone. For some reason, it's just been in my mind since I was young that that's "something you do with someone else." When I was younger, I'd always go with friends. Now I go with my nephew, wife, or sisters. I don't look at people who go alone as any different or anything. If I can't find anyone to go with me to a movie, I simply wait until someone can, or I'll just wait until the blu release. No biggie--I'm patient enough to do that.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
jO-hio

I have been to the theater once by myself and that was to see "Bourne Identity" I had just got done reading the book, wanted to see the movie and worked nights, lol.

Bill
Wives and toddlers...can't live with them and people notice them missing.
Proud Member of CAA: Chronic Adjusters Anonymous
Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #16

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
All the time. I'm going to watch the movie, not socialize with the people next to me. I'm also secure enough to actually do things by myself without needing other people's affirmations.
Good stuff. Personally, I'd prefer to be the only person in the theater most of the time.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I would but my local theater is horrible. It really needs to be nuke and paved and re-built from scratch. Seats are wrecked,... screen it dirty and wavy and up high because there is no slope to the floor.

I basically just wait for the release to home video.

Now and then, I can't resist and since the early show is like $4 I'll just go and see something. I don't mind going alone.... I don't live near friends and I don't want to try to make new ones.

-Brian
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

I hardly go to movie theaters, but if my Dad doesn't come with me in the movie, I usually go by myself. My dad likes going to Sci-fi movies, while I'm almost always by myself when going to arthouse films.

I went to movie theaters alot last year however, since I was living in a place that I couldn't set up a projector. Now living in an apartment that I could, I have little content going to a movie theater.
Projector:Infocus X10 1080p DLP projector & DIY anamorphic lens
TV:Samsung DLP 1080p TV HL-T5676S
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5640 AV receiver
HTPC/gaming rig
Add me on Steam: rctyke (trogdor2010)
Old 10-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Orange Park, FL

The theatre experience has been degrading anyway over the years. I hate having to deal with crappy projectors and teenagers that only go to have coitus or text during the movie. I don't normally go anyway, but if I did, I'd go alone, since I don't have friends anyway. I don't object to people going alone, either. That would mean less people having loud conversations about what they plan on doing after the movie is done. Works for me.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #20
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2007
8 1 8 Biatch!! L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavsterKing View Post
I almost went alone recently, when i wanted to watch Transformers 3 and my wife didnt, I was all ready to go and she felt bad and tagged along, of course she LOVED the movie, lol

But i dont oppose going alone, no big deal imo
Ya I just threaten the wifey to find a young hottie to take and she quickly changes her tune
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened...

*50" Panasonic Viera Plasma 1080p TH-50PZ80U*Onkyo TX-SR606*Harmony 880*PS3 Slim(BDs/Media streaming)*Launch 60GB PS3(Gaming)*

Twitter: @Bizdady
PSN ID: Bizdady
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies