Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$26.49
4 hrs ago
A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99

House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies > Hollywood and Celebrities

Old 10-19-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Default Actress sues Amazon for revealing real birthdate

LINK

Quote:
SEATTLE (AP) — An actress is suing Amazon.com in federal court in Seattle for more than $1 million for revealing her age on its Internet Movie Database website and refusing to remove the reference when asked.

The actress is not named in the lawsuit filed Thursday that refers to her as Jane Doe. It says she lives in Texas and is of Asian descent and has an Americanized stage name.
so who do you guys think this is?

any guesses..
my Game Collection

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 10-19-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Pretty sure she has no case for a suit when birth notices are a matter of public record. She could sue for slander IF they posted a wrong age maybe... but if they are posting her real age, she's out of luck.
Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

This is about her real birthdate:

Quote:
[...]the lawsuit says.

"If one is perceived to be 'over-the-hill,' i.e., approaching 40, it is nearly impossible for an up-and-coming actress, such as the plaintiff, to get work as she is thought to have less of an 'upside,' therefore, casting directors, producers, directors, agents-manager, etc. do not give her the same opportunities, regardless of her appearance or talent," the lawsuit states.

While she loses opportunities because of her age, she's also missing work because of her youthful appearance, the lawsuit says.

"Plaintiff has experience rejection in the industry for each "40-year-old" role for which she has interviewed because she does not and cannot physically portray the role of a 40-year-old woman," the lawsuit says.
it's unfortunate, but the "plaintiff" probably doesn't realize she could gain a lot more publicity by suing publicly and revealing her identity a this point. From reading the article, it wouldn't seem like she has much to lose if she looks much younger than her age; that's usually a good thing for actresses.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

I have to think this case gets thrown out.

If her case is that she needs to lie about her age in order to get work... she would be admitting to essentially committing fraud which might be felonious in some cases depending on what documents she signs in order to get a job with her false "young" age.

Calling attention to that by bringing a suit against someone for revealing your true age seems shortsighted at best.
Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

she's probably not that well known anyway, because in hollywood, if your name sells tickets, they'll get you for the part regardless of your birthdate as long as you can play the part..
my Game Collection

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 10-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psybits View Post
LINK

so who do you guys think this is?

any guesses..
Bai Ling, lol.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoEastwood View Post
Bai Ling, lol.
It can't be her because the article states that the actress "....has an Americanized stage name".

I'm going to say it's Lucy Liu. Her birthdate is listed as 2 December 1968*, which would put her age as 43 come this December. She meets the criteria of i) having an Americanized stage name, and ii) being over 40 (I thought she was still in her 30s, and if there's one person I can see being upset about her perceived age, it would be her).

* whether that's her real birthdate or not, I don't know
PSN/Battlelog/Xbox Live: ▌۩▐ PrivatePixel
Pioneer Elite || Definitive Technology

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones." - Bertrand Russell

Last edited by PrivatePixel; 10-20-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011

I would have said Grace Park.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

i thought i read somewhere they were suing IMDB.com.
Blu-Benny’s 7.2 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"
Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
i thought i read somewhere they were suing IMDB.com.
IMDB is owned by Amazon.

I guarantee the actress isn't someone any of us have heard of. The actress was paying to have her information on IMDBPro, and any actor or actress who has ever had any success does not pay for information on IMDBPro, it is mainly for unknown people who are trying to get their information to more people.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatediesel View Post
IMDB is owned by Amazon.

I guarantee the actress isn't someone any of us have heard of. The actress was paying to have her information on IMDBPro, and any actor or actress who has ever had any success does not pay for information on IMDBPro, it is mainly for unknown people who are trying to get their information to more people.
gotcha....i didn't know that.
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"
Old 10-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePixel View Post
It can't be her because the article states that the actress "....has an Americanized stage name".

I'm going to say it's Lucy Liu. Her birthdate is listed as 2 December 1968*, which would put her age as 43 come this December. She meets the criteria of i) having an Americanized stage name, and ii) being over 40 (I thought she was still in her 30s, and if there's one person I can see being upset about her perceived age, it would be her).

* whether that's her real birthdate or not, I don't know
she's pretty well known though and she's not from Texas afaik...

I'm sure it's going to come out eventually since there are a lot of curious bodies, I even heard it in my local radio station
my Game Collection

Old 10-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psybits View Post
she's pretty well known though and she's not from Texas afaik...

I'm sure it's going to come out eventually since there are a lot of curious bodies, I even heard it in my local radio station
Then I'm definitely sticking with Grace Park.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:04 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALL·E·Q View Post
hmm..you got something there, she does look young but is close to 40 and uses imdbPro
my Game Collection

Old 10-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALL·E·Q View Post
It isn't Grace Park. First off part of the suit said the actress first listed herself on IMDB in 2003. Park was on IMDB well before 2003. Second off the actress complains after IMDB listed her age she had trouble getting roles. Park has been working constantly since before Battlestar Galactica. Finally (and most importantly) as far as I can tell Park has never been a Texas resident.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

Tia Carrere?

Her original name was Althea Rae Janairo
TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
Power Protection: APC Smart-UPS 1500
Universal Remote: URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ MasterControl RF20 and PowerBlaster
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD
Old 10-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #17
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

Guys it says the actress is from TEXAS, none of your guesses are from there, fate is right anyway, it's probably a non-celebrity.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 01-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2007
Iowa

The actress who sued IMDB was forced to reveal her name if she wanted her lawsuit to proceed, and like I said it's a complete no-name actress. The actress is Huong Hoang, although she goes by the stage name Junie Hoang. Her IMDB page shows she has worked a ton over the last decade, although it is almost all straight-to-video movies like "Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver" and "Hoodrats 2: Hoodrat Warriors."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0387470/
Old 01-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #19
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatediesel View Post
The actress who sued IMDB was forced to reveal her name if she wanted her lawsuit to proceed, and like I said it's a complete no-name actress. The actress is Huong Hoang, although she goes by the stage name Junie Hoang. Her IMDB page shows she has worked a ton over the last decade, although it is almost all straight-to-video movies like "Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver" and "Hoodrats 2: Hoodrat Warriors."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0387470/
Some quality titles right there!!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #20
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Aug 2011
District 13

People sue over the silliest things now. They must think i can't get any movie roles, so I'll sue and make my millions that way.
My Blu rays for sale Thread The Biggest Jennifer Lawrence fan here. Favorite Movies Of the Year So Far X-Men: Days Of Future Past & The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

I've finished a third draft of my latest script. Which is a comedy called "Life As Liz" with Jen being in mind written as the lead. It's my 12th script.

DL the script in this link and PM me what you think.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies > Hollywood and Celebrities