Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$18.31

Early Man (Blu-ray)
$17.96
23 hrs ago
Last Tango in Paris (Blu-ray)
$7.99
8 hrs ago
Eaten Alive! (Blu-ray)
$15.49

The Leftovers: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Game Night (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Black Lightning: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Serial Mom (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Girls Trip (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Leftovers: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-25-2010, 04:09 AM   #1

Feb 2009
Red face Frantic and Titans audio issues anyone?

Hi I was just wondering if anybody else has had problems playing the DTS HD Master 2.0 track on the Blu-rays Frantic and Clash of the Titans??

I am playing the discs from my Sony BDP-S350 through my Pioneer SC-07 and it is registering on screen with DTS HD Master Audio 2.0 but there is no sound at all.
Now I have been able to get sound if I switch the Blu-ray player settings from 'BD Audio Auto' to 'Downmix PCM' but then I can only listen to a downmixed stereo track.
Anyway thankyou, just curious if anybody else has these issues
(Oh , by the way the French 1.0 tracks work fine on both discs and I also have already exchanged both movies for a new copy from Bestbuy) Thanks!!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Expert Member

Sep 2008
Toronto, Canada

Same issue...Presumed Innocent DTS-MA 2.0 plays fine, but the only way to get audio on Frantic is to set BD player to PCM.

Did exchanging the disc yield different results or still no audio?
My Home Theater

LG 65EG9600-UB OLED TV
Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K Blu-ray Player
----------------------------------------------------------
Sharp XV-Z17000 1080p 3D Projector + 94" Screen
Onkyo TX-SR308 + Infinity 5.1 Speaker Setup
Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-ray Player
Old 09-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Power Member

Nov 2008

I tried playing Frantic and I also have the same problem. Using the BDP-S350 as well.
I'm guessing a firmware update is the only way to fix this problem.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Power Member

Nov 2008

Well 021 firmware was just released for the 350 and sadly it does not change anything playing this title. Curious myself if anyone got a copy that worked exchanging the disc.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #5

Oct 2010

Well - Good - I'm glad it's not just me. I've been waiting for the widescreen version of this for years - let alone a Blu-ray version. It's also one of my favorite soundtracks of all time; one of Moriccone's best.

So I was pretty ticked when I got home and found that the DTS-HD track wouldn't work. This isn't a firmware issue, folks. Somebody wasn't doing their job at Warner Brothers and this mistake was replicated onto thousands of copies. And if the mistake has been recognized internally, I'm sure somebody there thought that no one would notice, thinking, "No one will notice because no one pays attention to high-res audio."

This also raises the issue of whether the film studios are really holding up their end and giving us full quality audio on our HD audio tracks, or simply transcoding the compressed audio tracks into 'lossless' versions?

Anyway - I'm contacting WB tomorrow to get this sorted out. Hopefully they will make this right for all of us who care.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #6

Jul 2009

any resolution to the audio issues?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #7

Jun 2011
Sunny Central Florida

New member here, just reading this thread and I wanted to add a couple of points:

1 - I think my Blu-Ray of FRANTIC plays the audio OK from my Sony BD-570 into my Sony audio receiver via coaxial input. The "dts" lights up at the start of the film, but then switched to "Dolby Digital 2.0" mode immediately thereafter. I do not have to select a downmix in the players settings for this to happen.

2 - But the bigger issue here is that perhaps some of you are unaware that Warner Bros. has done a stealth reissue of this title. A member of another forum pointed out that the English audio track on this Blu-Ray worldwide is an incorrect one. Instead of being totally in English, the audio track that was used happens to be the one for the French theatrical version, where English was largely used and the film was heavily subtitle for the French audience.

Here, on this first issue DVD, we get some lines in French (such as "What time is it?") spoken and dubbed by both Betty Buckley and Harrison Ford. But the thrust of the movie is that Harrison Ford's character doesn't speak a word of French in the middle of Paris, so his tossing about some French phrases plays a bit strangely.

Now, this other forum member contacted Roman Polanski's office and it got back to Mr. Polanski that the film's Blu-Ray soundtrack was incorrect. Bottom line is that Warner Bros. has now re-released the Blu-Ray with the corrected soundtrack. You can find a separate listing on sites like Amazon and CD Universe under titles that list the release date as May 31, 2011.

I've not yet gotten the corrected disc, but hopefully it will address any other audio issues regarding the encoding of the DTS soundtrack.

[P.S. to add - I see that the "other forum member" is also a member here (James Luckard) and has already detailed all of this in another thread. Sorry for my over-anxiousness to report the news, and I didn't mean to step on any toes, James. Thanks again.]

Harry

Last edited by HGN2001; 06-29-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Scotland

I'm not a fan of Presumed Innocent and would prefer to buy Frantic on its lonesome...

Has the English track been corrected for any of the singular European BD releases?

Thanx.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
I'm not a fan of Presumed Innocent and would prefer to buy Frantic on its lonesome...

Has the English track been corrected for any of the singular European BD releases?

Thanx.
I haven't heard of the audio being corrected on any of the overseas standalone releases, just the US combo disc.

All the overseas BDs were released before the error was corrected, so they're likely all defective. I know the first pressing of the French disc, which I own, is defective. I use the case for my corrected US disc, however.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #10

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post
You can find a separate listing on sites like Amazon and CD Universe under titles that list the release date as May 31, 2011.
Thanks Harry... I was gonna get this but it is quite expensive.

Thanks again for the info. Hopefully it will drop in price.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
I haven't heard of the audio being corrected on any of the overseas standalone releases, just the US combo disc.

All the overseas BDs were released before the error was corrected, so they're likely all defective. I know the first pressing of the French disc, which I own, is defective. I use the case for my corrected US disc, however.
Thanks. Pity.

Strange Frantic hasn't come out in the UK. One hopes that when it (eventually) does Warner will use the corrected version.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:06 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by needles7 View Post
Thanks Harry... I was gonna get this but it is quite expensive.

Thanks again for the info. Hopefully it will drop in price.
Amazon combined the listings a few years back. Unfortunately this info is outdated.

However as long as you order a brand new copy from Amazon, you should presumably be safe. Ordering used or new copies from secondary sellers would obviously be much, much riskier.

Last edited by James Luckard; 04-15-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #13

Apr 2013

Quote:
Amazon combined the listings a few years back. Unfortunately this info is outdated.

However as long as you order a brand new copy from Amazon, you should presumably be safe. Ordering used or new copies from secondary sellers would obviously be much, much riskier.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #14
Contributor

Jan 2012
Spain

Quote:

While searching for something else I came upon this thread and decided to check my Spanish edition.

The Spanish edition was released on the 8th of June 2010 but from what I can see on my HTPC the file dates on my disc are from the 2nd of April 2011, would that mean that they've silently corrected the problem?
Old 06-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf187 View Post
While searching for something else I came upon this thread and decided to check my Spanish edition.

The Spanish edition was released on the 8th of June 2010 but from what I can see on my HTPC the file dates on my disc are from the 2nd of April 2011, would that mean that they've silently corrected the problem?
Possibly. The way to check is if Harrison Ford and Betty Buckley use French occasionally, or if they speak nothing but 100% English, as intended.

If Buckley speaks French to the front desk clerk when they check in at the hotel about ten minutes into the movie; if Ford speaks French with the bellhop when he's awakened, surrounded by dishes and wrapped in a towel, after Buckley's kidnapping and asks what time it is; if Ford speaks a mix of French and English with the little wino when they're looking at the spot where Buckley was kidnapped and find her bracelet... then you have the defective version.

If every one of those scenes is entirely in English, with not a word of French, then you have the corrected version.

There are many more instances of French dubbing, those are just the first that come to mind off the top of my head.

Actually, I just remembered, the absolute easiest way to check is to go to the scene when the two spies (one dubbed by Polanski himself) are interrogating/slapping around Emmanuelle Seigner in her apartment, and Ford sneaks in the apartment, overhears it, and creatively rescues her, minus clothes. If the spies speak nothing but unsubtitled French to her, before they see Ford, you have the wrong version. If they speak nothing but English, you have the right one.

Last edited by James Luckard; 06-27-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #16

Sep 2017

Quote:
Actually, I just remembered, the absolute easiest way to check is to go to the scene when the two spies (one dubbed by Polanski himself) are interrogating/slapping around Emmanuelle Seigner in her apartment, and Ford sneaks in the apartment, overhears it, and creatively rescues her, minus clothes. If the spies speak nothing but unsubtitled French to her, before they see Ford, you have the wrong version. If they speak nothing but English, you have the right one.
I'm buying an Australian copy of this from eBay and the seller tells me that in that scene "On the main (Default) English Audio track while Ford is sneaking through the skylight you can hear the two spies and Michelle speaking French, but as Ford lowers himself onto the toilet, they all start to speak English from then onwards."

So that's a mix of French and English, and I'm now confused as to whether this is right or wrong.

I'm also told that "with French Audio selected, Michelle and the two spies are speaking French throughout the whole scene"

So perhaps this is the correct audio? Any thoughts?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America