Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Strain: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Kundo (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$28.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$12.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #1

Jan 2009
West Virginia
Default Hannibal Blu-ray

If anyone is interested I found a copy of Hannibal on it's own at Best Buy.. It says no release date here but if you want to find one they might have it.. It's $16.99...
Old 01-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Expert Member

Aug 2010

was it where the new releases are at bestbuy?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

Jan 2009
West Virginia

No, It was in the A-Z section...

Apparently, It's now listed as a "Best Buy Exclusive" for 1/25/11 Sooooo.. That explains it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-26-11-2 292.jpg (93.3 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg 1-26-11-2 293.jpg (95.5 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 1-26-11-2 294.jpg (95.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 1-26-11-2 295.jpg (96.4 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by D head; 01-26-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Katy, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by D head View Post
No, It was in the A-Z section...
Looks bare bones. So this is just the single disc from the Hannibal Lecter Anthology. I'll stick with the UK Blu-ray from Universal. That ported over all the extras from the DVD(except for the trailers).
Old 01-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #5

Jan 2009
West Virginia

Yeah, It is but it's okay with me for now for the price.. I'm definitely keeping my reciept handy so I can get the adjustment from when it goes on sale to $9.99 from Jan 30th - Feb 5th too..
Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #6

Aug 2008
Scottsdale, Arizona

Since I already have the two disc DVD of Hannibal, I look forward to picking up this release. Hopefully Manhunter will follow, if not, as least all the Hopkins films have been released individually now.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2009

The coverart is terrible. Why did they use a pic from Silence of the Lambs for this?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Power Member

Sep 2008
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
The coverart is terrible. Why did they use a pic from Silence of the Lambs for this?
I agree, the cover art isn't that great, but doesn't he wear the mask in
[Show spoiler]the scene where they are getting ready to feed him to the wild boars?
Been years since I've sceen it, but I seem to recall that.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

You really should get the UK edition from Universal. It's region free, has great A/V quality and all the extras from the 2-disc DVD set. Really can't go wrong with that one...
Old 01-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Power Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_1138 View Post
I agree, the cover art isn't that great, but doesn't he wear the mask in
[Show spoiler]the scene where they are getting ready to feed him to the wild boars?
Been years since I've sceen it, but I seem to recall that.
The mask was clearly different. I don't know if they had to re-cast it to fit his face since he was older or if they just didn't have access to the original but in any case you can tell the difference and it's pretty obvious that that's a "Silence" image regardless.

Ultimately with any genre property there are nerds who obsess over every little detail, I know with "Friday the 13th" and "Predator" there are people who could see any mask from any of the movies and tell you exactly which movie that came from even if was something like Jason's hockey mask, they can look at the markings and the holes and tell. With the Lecter mask, on the other hand, I think it's obvious even without being able to tell you that there were three small holes on each side or whatever.

For what it's worth they also used the modified "Hannibal" version in "Red Dragon" so they kinda explained the continuity error even if they weren't doing it intentionally.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Las Vegas, NV

No extras? What were they thinking?!!
It's showtime, folks!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #12
Power Member

Nov 2008
Texas

I have the UK Universal Blu-ray also and I prefer the original cover art. This artwork is blah.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Durham, NC

Bought this yesterday. I knew going in that the transfer wasn't up to par but I couldn't pass it up. I heart this film, a lot.

Having said that, Ridley Scott's not going to let this slide. This film will be redone eventually.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #14
Expert Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
You really should get the UK edition from Universal. It's region free, has great A/V quality and all the extras from the 2-disc DVD set. Really can't go wrong with that one...
I think its missing some extras (correct me if I'm wrong) like the 'construction of a scene' segment. But it is a good release. I think the German release has all of the extras but the audio is DTS HD HR and not DTS HD MA.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #15

Feb 2010

Does the UK version have better PQ?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #16

Aug 2008
Germany

Going by screen shots, the UK has the better PQ (it also comes with the better encoding). But like the German release, the UK also comes with the wrong framing. It is vertically streched and thereby cropped at the top. I own the UK release, and compared the framing with my old German DVD, and IMO the UK blu-ray definitely has the wrong framing. There are a lot of scenes where you can see, that things got cropped at the top (mountain tops, building parts etc.) and faces or other things sometimes look stretched.

You can see this here (US vs. German): http://www.landofwhimsy.com/archives...-of-two-evils/

You can see, that the UK looks pretty much the same as the German release (including the wrong framing) here: http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.u.../hannibal.html

I don't know whether to recommend the UK blu-ray or the US disc due the framing issue.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

The framing difference is barely noticeable and wouldn't be noticeable unless you did an A/B comparison I would think. The UK transfer is clearly sharper and more detailed. If given a choice, I would go with that release.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #18

Aug 2008
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
The framing difference is barely noticeable and wouldn't be noticeable unless you did an A/B comparison I would think.
Yes and no. It becomes quite obvious in certain scenes, but I also think, ignorance is bliss. I just wanted to point it out, so one can consider it.

Last edited by andreasy969; 01-30-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
Expert Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruAskew View Post
The mask was clearly different. I don't know if they had to re-cast it to fit his face since he was older or if they just didn't have access to the original but in any case you can tell the difference and it's pretty obvious that that's a "Silence" image regardless.

Ultimately with any genre property there are nerds who obsess over every little detail, I know with "Friday the 13th" and "Predator" there are people who could see any mask from any of the movies and tell you exactly which movie that came from even if was something like Jason's hockey mask, they can look at the markings and the holes and tell. With the Lecter mask, on the other hand, I think it's obvious even without being able to tell you that there were three small holes on each side or whatever.

For what it's worth they also used the modified "Hannibal" version in "Red Dragon" so they kinda explained the continuity error even if they weren't doing it intentionally.
This would be a person like me
Old 01-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasy969 View Post
Going by screen shots, the UK has the better PQ (it also comes with the better encoding). But like the German release, the UK also comes with the wrong framing. It is vertically streched and thereby cropped at the top. I own the UK release, and compared the framing with my old German DVD, and IMO the UK blu-ray definitely has the wrong framing. There are a lot of scenes where you can see, that things got cropped at the top (mountain tops, building parts etc.) and faces or other things sometimes look stretched.

You can see this here (US vs. German): http://www.landofwhimsy.com/archives...-of-two-evils/

You can see, that the UK looks pretty much the same as the German release (including the wrong framing) here: http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.u.../hannibal.html

I don't know whether to recommend the UK blu-ray or the US disc due the framing issue.
Thanks for the links. Already picked up the Universal UK release long ago ... wasn't going to pick up the trilogy since I already had SotL.

Can't believe Fox used (well actually I can) such an old encode (2006 and MPEG2) for the trilogy. It would be interesting to see if the BB exclusive release has a different encode or file dates.

In this case, there are two different studios; Fox for the US release, Universal for the international release. However, I've been a bit surprised when there is only one studio for both the international/domestic markets that both markets don't see a release. For example, Universal has quite a few titles available internationally which aren't available in the US; don't understand that rationale. Dumbo is another title that comes to mind from Disney.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America