Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Devil's Backbone (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Alien Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Eyes Without a Face (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rosemary's Baby (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Rebirth of Mothra I II III (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Videodrome (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City
USA Samurai Cop (1989) - September 30, 2014

Samurai Cop is a real thing?! That was me a few months ago when another member mentioned it in another thread. Now it's coming to Blu-ray on September 30th courtesy of the label Cinema Epoch.

Quote:
A cabal of Japanese mobsters known as the Katana Gang is taking over the streets of Los Angeles. With the regular police unable to stop them, it's up to maverick cop Joe “the Samurai” Marshal to use his sword and martial arts expertise to bring the crooks down. Brutal action adventure stars genre staples Robert Z'Dar, Matt Hannon and Gerald Okamura.
It looks so bad

Last edited by MifuneFan; 08-18-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Starring the most handsome man in Hollywood history, Robert Z'Dar.
Thanks given by:
jmb1381 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Special Member

Aug 2010
Baker,Florida

How have I never seen this?! Looks right up my alley
Old 08-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

I can't believe this is coming to Blu-ray! This is definitely a so bad it's good film. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it.
"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"

- Conan the Barbarian
Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Words fail me...
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 08-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Illinois

That $39.98 MSRP is a bit intimidating for a movie that seems guaranteed to fall into best/worst territory.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
That $39.98 MSRP is a bit intimidating for a movie that seems guaranteed to fall into best/worst territory.
I would like to think it would drop in price. $40.00 is too high for this film.
"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"

- Conan the Barbarian
Old 08-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #8

Aug 2013
Yorkshire, UK

This movie is a real jaw dropper! It's in the same league as 'The Miami Connection'.
Hope it includes Joe Bob Briggs commentary track.
Blu Ray Wish List...
The Big Sleep, I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang, Night Of The Demon, Klute, Blood & Black Lace, The Naked Prey, Le Samourai, Wait Until Dark, The Tenant, Images, McCabe & Mrs Miller, Foul Play, Midnight Run, Spider Labyrinth, Le Trou, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Spirits Of The Air Gremlins Of The Clouds.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Albany, NY

Never seen this either and wow that trailer is hilariously awful...the whole movie can't possibly be that bad, they must have just complied the worst lines into one trailer right? Needless to say, if that price drops about halfway I will consider the purchase
Blu-Ray Wish List: The Asphalt Jungle (1950), Chopping Mall (1986), High Sierra (1941), Kill Baby... Kill! (1966), Dodsworth (1936), His Girl Friday (1940), Roman Holiday (1953), A Matter of Life and Death (1946), Fingers (1977), Twisted Nerve (1968), Knife In The Water (1962), Arabesque (1966), Blood Link (1982), The Inspector Betti Trilogy (75'-76'), Amuck (1972), Nightmare at Shadow Woods (1987), Mirage (1965), Waking The Dead (2000).
Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #10

Nov 2007

Had me thing of my man Hank Moody from Californication.......
Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #11

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Samurai Cop is a real thing?!
It's real and it's spectacular.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #12

May 2011
Bay Area, CA

I have the SE DVD that Cinema Epoch released a bit ago. I might stick with it unless everything is a significant upgrade.

With that said, the film is so awkward and hilarious.
R.I.P DVDSpot
Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Spartanburg, SC

Lol, I actually almost ordered the DVD earlier today from Amazon. I guess I'll wait for the blu-ray now. I've never seen it but it looks terrible (in the best way possible).
Old 08-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #14

Aug 2010

That trailer was hilarious! Haha. I definitely have to watch this now. I love cheesy 80s actioners. If y'all like this, also watch a film called Hard Ticket to Hawaii.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #15

Oct 2011
Gettysburg

There have been two DVD releases: a 2004 full-frame version from Media Blasters (which had a commentary from Joe Bob Briggs) and last year's release from Cinema Epoch (which had a couple of interviews). The reason for the upgrade is because they are apparently adding new extras, including a interview/commentary by Matt Hannon, the star of the film.

The movie is fantastic. Nearly every level of the film is wrong -- bad acting, editing, cinematography, writing, directing -- so bad that you can't help but stare in amazement. If you like films like "The Room" or "Birdemic," you'll appreciate "Samurai Cop."

They are now working on a sequel which will likely be terrible in a different way.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #16
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

oh...sweet..mother of god. this is coming out

Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by synnerman View Post
There have been two DVD releases: a 2004 full-frame version from Media Blasters (which had a commentary from Joe Bob Briggs) and last year's release from Cinema Epoch (which had a couple of interviews). The reason for the upgrade is because they are apparently adding new extras, including a interview/commentary by Matt Hannon, the star of the film.

The movie is fantastic. Nearly every level of the film is wrong -- bad acting, editing, cinematography, writing, directing -- so bad that you can't help but stare in amazement. If you like films like "The Room" or "Birdemic," you'll appreciate "Samurai Cop."

They are now working on a sequel which will likely be terrible in a different way.
Yep got both those!

I cant believe this is coming out on blu! I used to put it in wish lists as a joke!

For those who dont know - this film is beyond bad. You want the worst acting you have ever seen? You want unbelievable bad taste/racism/no PC whatosever? Watch Samurai Cop!

Think Lethal Weapon but really bad. Then imagine it much worse than that again. Thing is though...this film is really (unintentionally) funny.

Oh yeah that picture of the cover at the top? Nothing like that or looking remotely like that happens in the film!
Leo needs new shoes...
Old 08-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiFiFi1955 View Post
Never seen this either and wow that trailer is hilariously awful...the whole movie can't possibly be that bad, they must have just complied the worst lines into one trailer right? Needless to say, if that price drops about halfway I will consider the purchase
They didnt! Its hilariously awful. The police captain is THE funniest police captain of all time - hes your typical angry police captain but to the nth degree, when he flips out I guarantee you will be howling laughing.

Be careful drinking during this film even though it will make sense. Said drink will end up everywhere...
Leo needs new shoes...
Old 08-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #19
Special Member

Nov 2008
Minnesota

Been wanting to see this for a few years, was just a couple days ago considering getting the DVD. I'll wait and see how the BD turns out.

I just hope it uses that original poster art which so blatantly copies Maniac Cop especially with Z'Dar's name plastered on.
"I can't forgive myself for having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished. And the other is the phone book."
Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriztoffer Swank View Post
Been wanting to see this for a few years, was just a couple days ago considering getting the DVD. I'll wait and see how the BD turns out.

I just hope it uses that original poster art which so blatantly copies Maniac Cop especially with Z'Dar's name plastered on.
As I said above, that original poster art is in no way representative of ANYTHING in the film! Its obviously supposed to appeal to those who like Maniac Cop with the Z'Dar connection. I know which one Id rather watch though
Leo needs new shoes...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America