Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$100.81
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Hawaii
Default Stalingrad (2013) - 5/13

Amazon pre-order

Old 03-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Power Member

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I saw this during its brief one week run in US Imax theaters last week. The battle scenes are stunning, though very CGI-filled/300-ish. The plot, however, is borderline incoherent. It's based on a doorstop of a novel, "Life and Fate", which is supposed to be the "War and Peace" of WWII, but what they managed to squeeze into 2 hrs was very scattered and made it tough to care about or even understand what was happening to any of the characters. The actors were all great though, despite the clunky script, very compelling performances.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
Power Member

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Also, be aware, Russian movie taste favors over the top operatic emotion, lots of sentimentality and slow-motion, and little or no cynicism. Many people might find the movie silly, but it's just tremendously earnest.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Also, be aware, Russian movie taste favors over the top operatic emotion, lots of sentimentality and slow-motion, and little or no cynicism. Many people might find the movie silly, but it's just tremendously earnest.
I think this was what I enjoyed about the film, it has really grown on me since I saw it in IMAX DMR 3D last week.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 03-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Special Member

Aug 2011

Preorder is for 2D only, correct?
PSN: BowsersFireBreth

Sony PS4
LG 55LW5600
LG LHB976 HTIB
APC J25B Power Conditioner with Battery Backup
Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #6

Apr 2013

Why does it say it's over 4 hours long?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:36 AM   #7
Power Member

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creasy47 View Post
Why does it say it's over 4 hours long?
No idea, it was just a bit over 2 hrs. However it did feel extremely choppy and I actually said to my friends that it felt like a miniseries that had been cut in half into a feature. I wonder if it was originally much longer.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:23 AM   #8

Apr 2013

How is the film on action? The trailers look insane but I hear that it really isn't action-packed at all, which is surprising. I'm a sucker for WWII fans, so I'm debating a blind buy.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
How is the film on action? The trailers look insane but I hear that it really isn't action-packed at all, which is surprising. I'm a sucker for WWII fans, so I'm debating a blind buy.
hah - you're kidding right? it's kind of like Saving Private Ryan - action, stop, drama, stop, action, more drama, repeat. in other words I thought it had a pretty good portion of action to character development / 'drama' scenes- and holy crap when the action kicks in - it's pretty wild (and in IMAX-Digital the audio was pummeling)
Old 03-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #10

May 2011
Brown Deer, WI
USA

Is a good thing "The Weinsteins" did'nt aquire this title, we would of gotten a 83 minute cut US version of the film!!

Last edited by willo007; 03-10-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #11

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
hah - you're kidding right? it's kind of like Saving Private Ryan - action, stop, drama, stop, action, more drama, repeat. in other words I thought it had a pretty good portion of action to character development / 'drama' scenes- and holy crap when the action kicks in - it's pretty wild (and in IMAX-Digital the audio was pummeling)
I'm not kidding, I saw a user review who said it wasn't really action packed, which was surprising given how incredibly intense the trailers looked.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
I'm not kidding, I saw a user review who said it wasn't really action packed, which was surprising given how incredibly intense the trailers looked.
he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #13

Jan 2013

for a russian movie its NON STOP action....

compared with an American action film I can see where someone would say that. My friend said the same thing (not enough action) but he does not watch many russian movies.

Its very pro Russian, which you should expect, but all in all its a good flick and the action pieces are great. the action scenes are book ends to the drama parts which are character pieces mostly. And the action scenes are "short" compared to the intro of a SPR. but it fits with the movie.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #14

Oct 2010
Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenebre6 View Post
for a russian movie its NON STOP action....

compared with an American action film I can see where someone would say that. My friend said the same thing (not enough action) but he does not watch many russian movies.

Its very pro Russian, which you should expect, but all in all its a good flick and the action pieces are great. the action scenes are book ends to the drama parts which are character pieces mostly. And the action scenes are "short" compared to the intro of a SPR. but it fits with the movie.
You make it sound like its a bad thing, I mean Russia did play one of the largest if not the largest part in WW2, unlike what American movies make you believe.

BTW, I did not like the movie, too CGI for my tastes especially in a period war movie.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #15

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPowers View Post
You make it sound like its a bad thing, I mean Russia did play one of the largest if not the largest part in WW2, unlike what American movies make you believe.

BTW, I did not like the movie, too CGI for my tastes especially in a period war movie.
nope you read wrong into what i typed. I like that its pro russian. I watched in Russian from the russian blu ray

I know some people have had issue with its one sided leaning. Although for war movies i like them to be one sided in that context.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #16

Oct 2010
Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenebre6 View Post
nope you read wrong into what i typed. I like that its pro russian. I watched in Russian from the russian blu ray

I know some people have had issue with its one sided leaning. Although for war movies i like them to be one sided in that context.
Oh, ok, gotcha. Still one sided or not, I'll take Enemy at the Gates over this movie anyday if I'd want to see a movie about Stalingrad. This movie has great eye candy for sure, but I prefer my war movies to be real and gritty.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Really looking forward to viewing this . For those interested, the 1993 version is awesome...

Old 03-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #18
Power Member

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Titan View Post
Really looking forward to viewing this . For those interested, the 1993 version is awesome...

And they both star Thomas Kretschmann. Poor guy has spent his entire career playing Nazis, including in two movies called Stalingrad.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
And they both star Thomas Kretschmann. Poor guy has spent his entire career playing Nazis, including in two movies called Stalingrad.
Thanks...did not know that .
Old 03-13-2014, 04:47 AM   #20

Oct 2011

So I just saw the 2:11 minute IMAX 3D version...as a apposed to the original 4+ original Russian version that is coming out on blu. I hate to go against what others have previously written, but I actually thought that this version was well edited and explained both the structure of the story and development of the characters adequately.
I actually knew that the IMAX version was paired down but I still wanted to see it on the big screen and I was very satisfied with the end product.
I am obviously very curious to know what was cut out of this version and I am wondering if I would be able to sit through an additional 2 hours of the film... still contemplating the purchase.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America