Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Alien: Covenant 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.54
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.82
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$33.39
Doctor Who: The Complete Seventh Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Heat (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Mars (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Fifth Element 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Dragon Ball Super: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Boss Baby 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Mummy Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Smurfs: The Lost Village (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-03-2007, 02:28 AM   #1

Aug 2007
Beaverton, OR
Default Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Man, I love this movie for camp value...so I picked it up today. First, I am always impressed with how older videos can even look good on Blu. This isn't going to win any awards for quality, but it looks great. The only thing is that the special effects get an even bigger laugh on Blu. The high def really shows how cheesy mustard and ketchup blood can look.
-Convention Neutral
-42" Toshiba Regza
-PS3
-XBox w/HD Drive
Old 10-03-2007, 02:38 AM   #2
Power Member

Jul 2007
I'm not drunk, I'm just tired cause I been up all night drinking.

Thanks for the heads-up. I was wondering if this one would look really good on bd. I loved this movie it was creepy and funny all at once.

I'll buy it on Oct. 16, since that's when Transformers comes out and I really dislike paramount for not honoring the pre-orders placed before their exclusivity fiasco. They could have insisted on fulfilling contracts already in place and still gotten their pay-off. They simply didn't feel like sticking up for us at all.
Put the blu-ray in the f@*{'n basket. I'll hurt your poodle mister.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
Special Member

May 2007
CANADA
Cool

I'm all over this one like a fat kid on a candy bar!
You're in my spot...
Old 10-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #4

Sep 2007
Pittsburgh, PA

Can't wait to see it. I live a couple miles from the mall (Monroeville, PA) that it was filmed at.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Appleton, WI

I was amazed at the picture quality. Remember that this movie was made with a couple hundred thousand. This isn't camp, it is effective. It truly is still an a freaky movie. If you like horror, zombie, independent, guerilla filmmaking, or are just a fan of well made movies, pick it up.
Reality is a commodity
Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
Special Member

Mar 2007
Washington, DC
Send a message via AIM to Xerious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS316SRV View Post
I was amazed at the picture quality. Remember that this movie was made with a couple hundred thousand. This isn't camp, it is effective. It truly is still an a freaky movie. If you like horror, zombie, independent, guerilla filmmaking, or are just a fan of well made movies, pick it up.

i didn't find it the least bit scary, the zombies were too... well stupid. but i enjoyed it none-the-less for it's sheer classic status. i'm a zombie movie fan, and this was an excellent addition to my collection.

best scene: dude at the beginning gets his head blown the F off and just explodes everywhere... that is HD in it's glory
Why So XERIOUS?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #7

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieking View Post
I'm all over this one like a fat kid on a candy bar!
ZING!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Appleton, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerious View Post
i didn't find it the least bit scary, the zombies were too... well stupid. but i enjoyed it none-the-less for it's sheer classic status. i'm a zombie movie fan, and this was an excellent addition to my collection.

best scene: dude at the beginning gets his head blown the F off and just explodes everywhere... that is HD in it's glory
True there isn't any pop-out scares. The scary comes from being isolated in with three other people trying to survive with creatures that used to be human, but are now dead, that are trying to eat you. Remember that the zombies are dead people. For more information on Zombies and their characteristics read Max Brooks' "The Zombie Survival Guide". It will keep you alive when there is no more room in hell.

I am not trying to convince you, but just trying to share our opinions like adults. As long as you love this movie, you are alright by me.
Reality is a commodity
Old 10-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
Special Member

Mar 2007
Washington, DC
Send a message via AIM to Xerious

Quote:
True there isn't any pop-out scares. The scary comes from being isolated in with three other people trying to survive with creatures that used to be human, but are now dead, that are trying to eat you. Remember that the zombies are dead people. For more information on Zombies and their characteristics read Max Brooks' "The Zombie Survival Guide". It will keep you alive when there is no more room in hell.

I am not trying to convince you, but just trying to share our opinions like adults. As long as you love this movie, you are alright by me.
The zombies weren't as convincing as Day of the Dead. I believe the Romero fans are evenly split between Dawn and Day. I appreciate both movies for their satire (humans being a greater threat to themselves than zombies). If the people weren't stupid, I don't think the zombies would have had a chance. What someone needs to do is remake NotLD (again) and make it more like 28 Days/Weeks later. Now that, I assure, would be frightfest.

I can't wait for the remake of Day!!!
Why So XERIOUS?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Appleton, WI

28 Days Later is not a Zombie infestation though, they are humans who utterly animalistic. The fear with Romero's zombies is that they lurch forward , they are a slow approaching doom. The "fast zombies" of the Dawn remake rely on cheap scares (the pop out kind). It is the ability to see your death slowly approaching that makes Romero's undead so terrifying.
Reality is a commodity
Old 10-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #11

Jun 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
28 Days Later is not a Zombie infestation though, they are humans who utterly animalistic. The fear with Romero's zombies is that they lurch forward , they are a slow approaching doom. The "fast zombies" of the Dawn remake rely on cheap scares (the pop out kind). It is the ability to see your death slowly approaching that makes Romero's undead so terrifying.
Althought I enjoyed both types of "zombies", I completely agree with you, this is why they are so terrifying...they just wont stop..its there numbers and overwhelming odds. IMPENDING DOOM!!
Samsung 52" 1080p LCD
Onkyo 7.1 Surrond Sound
2500+ DVDS
200+ BD
Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
Expert Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Let's lift this thread to the top.

Are there any news on giving the Ultimate Edition box set a HD upgrade?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
Expert Member

Jul 2010
United States

Since this thread has "risen from the grave", can anybody tell me if later pressings of this disc have had the DTS logo on the disc art removed? Since the movie doesn't actually feature a single DTS track its always bothered me a tad.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #14

Aug 2010
Wareham, MA
Send a message via AIM to wd40cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportFanatic View Post
Since this thread has "risen from the grave", can anybody tell me if later pressings of this disc have had the DTS logo on the disc art removed? Since the movie doesn't actually feature a single DTS track its always bothered me a tad.
I doubt it. Day of the Dead is the same way. My theory is AB just used the disc art they had on hand for the stand alone DVD releases and removed the DVD logo and slapped a BD logo on there.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #15
Expert Member

Jul 2010
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40cloud View Post
I doubt it. Day of the Dead is the same way. My theory is AB just used the disc art they had on hand for the stand alone DVD releases and removed the DVD logo and slapped a BD logo on there.
Well in the original press release both Dawn and Day were listed as having only DTS audio.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #16

Aug 2012
Williamsport, Pennsylvania

Did anyone order the new Japanese box set? I'm anxiously waiting to hear if it's really a new transfer and how it holds up. Pretty expensive, though.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #17

Aug 2011

Release date got pushed back to Dec 20th, if you didnt know. I'm also hoping someone (blu-ray.com) does a good review of it within the next month or so. PLEEEEAASE!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-

I would monitor this thread, as it's more likely someone might post feedback there... I know I'd like to hear more about it!

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....=1#post8512847
Old 12-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #19
Power Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Release date got pushed back to Dec 20th, if you didnt know. I'm also hoping someone (blu-ray.com) does a good review of it within the next month or so. PLEEEEAASE!
I have it preordered. I'll post my thoughts (for what they're worth), when I receive the set.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #20

Dec 2013
Default Dawn of the Dead: 35th Anniversary Set

Dear Dawn fans:

Unfortunately, the transfer on all three discs leaves much to be desired. Unless you are an avid fan like myself, I would suggest spending your $150 elsewhere. After watching the director's cut last night, I can confirm what Kentai wrote on his blog about the strange "green-color grading." Besides the picture of Roger and Peter in the truck on his website, you can observe the same green-clover tint in the scene where Peter jumps into the helicopter with Frannie.

I also noticed some mosquito noise on the walls of this film. I found it happened most on the white walls. It is especially noticeable when Peter walks out of the entrance of the abandoned airport building to give Flyboy a lesson on gun handling.

As for the new "True HD/Advanced 96K Sampling," I can say that is also a disappointment. I noticed some hiss in the center channel during the conversation between Peter and Roger about fleeing Philadelphia. This hiss does occur throughout the film in certain quiet moments. Its presence, however, does not make the film unwatchable; nevertheless, for the price of this set, it should not be there or it should be reduced.

On the positive side, the packaging is beautiful—like most Japanese products. The glossy sliver box reminds me of the old laser disc released many years ago. Four post cards, a booklet, and an advertisement for upcoming Blu Rays constitute as the tangible extras. The discs, sadly, contain the trailers we have all seen many times before.

Even though it is popular among genre fans and Romero to praise the third film (Day of the Dead) as the ignored masterpiece of the trilogy, I respectfully disagree. Dawn entertained as well as satirized. It offered more than just Savini's fatalities. It was a symbolic, clever film that poked fun at our material urges. Basically, our material drive is so strong that it remains with us even when we are dead. Not to mention the brilliant reversal where the viewer starts rooting for the zombies during the last half of the film.

On the other hand, Day started out good, but it lost the way toward the climax. Many claim that the film is cerebral; however, I think the claim is only half true. When the zombies enter the complex, the film becomes a cartoon of sorts. It's almost as if Romero realized audiences would throw rocks at the screen if the zombies did not get their free hot lunch. So, he devises this weak plot point about the infected effeminate soldier as means to deliver the carnage. To make matters worse, the tough, psychotic captain reveals himself a paper tiger, leaving his men to be digested by the shambling trespassers. It is so badly contrived and hopelessly predictable compared to Dawn.

What I am getting at is that a film like Dawn deserves a definitive release comparable to Day's. I hope that someone somewhere is or will be up to the task. Here are some scans from the contents of the box set. It looks like they will be releasing Piranha, The Crazies, Knightriders, and some others soon. Maybe they'll get those right?

Best,
Zan

Works Cited

"Dawn of Japan: The Good News and the Bad News."Kentai's Films.

N.p., 30 Dec. 2013. Web. 29 Dec. 2013.
Japanese Postcard front.jpg

Japanese Postcard back.jpg

Dod Booklet.jpg

Japanese Promo f.jpg

Japanese Promo b.jpg
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America