Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Van Damme 5-Movie Action Pack (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
My Darling Clementine (Blu-ray)
$25.75
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$136.29
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 11-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
Contributor

Aug 2007
USA
Hong Kong The Sorcerer and the White Snake

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-So...Blu-ray/33190/

K&R release. Nov. 30 release date. English subtitles. Yesasia page seems to indicate the Cantonese dub will be lossless and the original Mandarin track will be in lossy, but this is not confirmed.
Supporter of Anime and Asian Cinema on Blu-ray
AVC & Dolby TrueHD supporter
Worldwide BR Release Comparison Thread

Last edited by AnimeOnBlu; 11-09-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2007
Singapore

will definitely get this
Old 11-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #3

Sep 2009
Canada

This looked like such a silly movie but it also looked like a ton of fun. Looking forward to getting it. Hopefully the SFX are not as bad as some reviews made them out to be though.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I sat down to watch this last night and found it virtually unbearable. this is definitely one for the kids. and yes, the CGI is really, really, really bad. I like almost anything with Jet Li in it but this one is one of his worse films in a while. Not a recommended blind buy.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #5

Sep 2009
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lee View Post
I sat down to watch this last night and found it virtually unbearable. this is definitely one for the kids. and yes, the CGI is really, really, really bad. I like almost anything with Jet Li in it but this one is one of his worse films in a while. Not a recommended blind buy.
Way to crush my hopes dude, haha. How does it compare to something like, the remake of A Chinese Ghost Story? I didn't find that movie terrible, just really average.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I havent seen Chinese Ghost Story remake so cant say for sure but White Snake is pretty bad. If Ghost Story is just average then Im inclined to assume White Snake is even worse.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
Suspended

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
I saw a clip of it (when the family members are hiding the fact that they are animals posing as humans) and I thought it was funny enough. And I don't like Chinese comedy usual, unless it's Stephen Chow.

How's the action in it though?

And is the special effects really that bad? I did love the new Legend of Zu by the way. You think i'll like this?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #8

Jan 2009

I think Legend of Zu actually had better CG work. There are SyFy movies with better CG work. And it has a direct impact on the quality of the action, since the integration of the live actors with the CGI is pathetic -- one of their standard trick for dealing with it is to use isolated closeups of the real actors, then use obviously computer-generated doubles for longer shots with more complex action in them. The "comedy" is terrible and not helped at all by the Tubby the Tuba music slathered over almost any scene with Wen Zhang (generally speaking, the movie has one of the most overbearing and ear-pummeling musical scores I've heard in awhile). Watching this for me was like one long flashback to A Chinese Tall Story, so I guess if you liked that you might get something out of this. At least the little kids in the theater seemed amused.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Average View Post
I think Legend of Zu actually had better CG work. There are SyFy movies with better CG work. And it has a direct impact on the quality of the action, since the integration of the live actors with the CGI is pathetic -- one of their standard trick for dealing with it is to use isolated closeups of the real actors, then use obviously computer-generated doubles for longer shots with more complex action in them. The "comedy" is terrible and not helped at all by the Tubby the Tuba music slathered over almost any scene with Wen Zhang (generally speaking, the movie has one of the most overbearing and ear-pummeling musical scores I've heard in awhile). Watching this for me was like one long flashback to A Chinese Tall Story, so I guess if you liked that you might get something out of this. At least the little kids in the theater seemed amused.
Spot on analysis by Dan. Legend of Zu is a mess but when it worked, I found the CG kinda beautiful to look at. White Snake, the CG work simply appauling from beginning to end. @ Toddly, I think ur better off rewatching Legend of Zu buddy.

Last edited by Dragon Lee; 11-10-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Suspended

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
Toddly, I think ur better off rewatching Legend of Zu buddy.
But the trailers looked so good! boo boo..I wanna see it! haha

I like the way the CGI looks in the trailers - if I like the CGI in the trailers, won't I like the CGI in the rest of the film? Are the trailers really falsely advertising the movie?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007

If you find the CGI in the trailer acceptable, then you probably will enjoy it.

I didn't like the movie that much.

Don't expect Jet Li in his usual fighting scene with his arms and feet. The majority of his fighting was the CGI effects stuff.

Like other said, it's very similar to Legend of the Zu CGI....I was expecting it to be better than that old film CGI effects... The snake, water, etc CGI effects were pretty bad in my opinion.

The only reason why I watched until the ending was only because of the white snake played by Shengyi Huang. Gosh...she's so beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
But the trailers looked so good! boo boo..I wanna see it! haha

I like the way the CGI looks in the trailers - if I like the CGI in the trailers, won't I like the CGI in the rest of the film? Are the trailers really falsely advertising the movie?

Last edited by crystal_sun; 11-14-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:50 AM   #12
Suspended

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

I'm in the middle of watching the blu-ray. So far, it's pretty good. I don't know what everyone is making a big deal over!

The correct blu-ray front cover is below. The yesasia image is just a placeholder. Can a moderator please update to the correct image in the blu-ray.com database as shown below?

Old 11-29-2011, 05:14 AM   #13
Suspended

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

ahhh, you are all nuts! This movie was great!

Here's my user review of the blu-ray:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-So...0/#UserReviews
Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Really? I hated it! Well Im glad u enjoyed it becuz atleast its not money wasted.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #15

Jun 2011

Quote:

This is very solid advice, DO NOT BY BLIND, Saw it at a friends house. well, half of it till I raided his kitchen, drank all his cooking wine and dug my eyes out with grapefruit spoons trying to undo what I had seen.

But seriously, rent it first, we all have different tastes, you may like it, this one just seems way more risky in a blind buy than most.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #16

Oct 2009
Vancouver, BC

Looks overproduced, I really dislike most contemporary Wusha and ancient fantasy movies. They lost what made the early 90s films great: the themes of humanity and the genuine c'est la vie attitude of the swordsmen. I know the special effects were often times cheesy and fake, but I still prefer them 100% of the time over the CG used today because the movies themselves felt more 'real'.

What made the original Green Snake one of my favourite HK films is its themes of morality and sensuality, which I really hope this what looks like a remake captures a bit of. I would purchase Green Snake on Blu-ray if they release it even if it does not look great.
Top Wants:
- Kill Bill Vol. 2 slip (lenticular, CA)
- The Mist slip (lenticular, CA)
Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

From Play-Asia.com
My DVD Collection (Keeping it separate.)
Importer supporter. & Multi-Region Capable!
The Other Stuff +132 BD's
Film grain and original cinematic audio advocate. Anti-DNR/EE. To hell with DVD, UV & Digital Copy combos. Gimme Blu-ray disc ONLY!
Old 12-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #18

Sep 2009
Canada

Yeah, this movie was as bad as pretty much every opinion in this thread and most of the reviews out there. I have no idea what the goal was when the filmmakers set out to make this movie but I'm pretty sure they failed on every objective.

The love story is the worst thing about this movie and that's what the whole movie revolves around. I don't even know if you could say this movie has a "story." It's more like a series of random events that test your patience.

The CGI sucked, but it didn't suck as much as I thought it was going to. Since most of the action takes place in CGI landscapes with no one who knows how to fight except for Jet Li, it sucked too. And why the hell was Vivian Hsu even in this movie? I was waiting for her to have something to do at the end (people who've watched it will know why), but nope, she's there in the beginning and that's it.

I loathed this movie from beginning to end. "It's Love?" My feeling towards this movie, "It's Hate."

Last edited by elite; 12-23-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #19
Suspended

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

I guess Tony Ching Siu-Tung is my Uwe Boll. There is something about his style that I love. I loved Naked Weapon too.

I didn't see Belly of the Beast though (and I don't plan to).
Old 12-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #20

Sep 2009
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
I guess Tony Ching Siu-Tung is my Uwe Boll. There is something about his style that I love. I loved Naked Weapon too.
I'm cool with Ching Siu-tung circa late 80's and early 90's, but he did have Tsui Hark on hand to produce those movies. It's when he gets to work on his own that his weaknesses begin to really show for me.

His choreography has always come off as somewhat weak to me as well. He's worked on great movies but I felt the action scenes worked in spite of him.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia