COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$13.18
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$18.98
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Charlie Countryman (Blu-ray)
$7.98
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
George Gently, Series 2 (Blu-ray)
$23.19
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$16.53
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$20.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
Default Mysteries of Lisbon (Raúl Ruiz) Review

Mysteries of Lisbon Blu-ray

Mysteries of Lisbon Blu-ray Review

Music Box Films will release Raoul Ruiz's Mysteries of Lisbon (2010) on December 20th.

From our news article here:

Quote:
Independent U.S. distributors Music Box Films have revealed that they will release on Blu-ray Chilean director Raoul Ruiz's Mysteries of Lisbon (2010), starring Adriano Luz, Clotilde Hesme, Ricardo Pereira, and Maria João Bastos. Last year, the film won three Portuguese Golden Globe Awards, as well as Silver Seashell Award for Best Director at the San Sebastián International Film Festival. Street date is December 20th.

Raúl Ruiz's masterful adaptation of the eponymous nineteenth-century Portuguese novel (by Camilo Castelo Branco) evokes the complex intertwined narratives of Victor Hugo and Charles Dickens. The core story centers on Joao, the bastard child of an ill-fated romance between two members of the aristocracy who are forbidden to marry, and his quest to discover the truth of his parentage. But this is just the start of an engrossing tale that follows a multitude of characters whose fates conjoin, separate and then rejoin again over three decades in Portugal, Spain, France and Italy.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-15-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

I literally just spoke to a really sweet girl at Music Box Films over the phone.

The release both on DVD and Blu-ray will be the film version only, with the third disc containing extra features. She did mention the possibility of putting the long version out if this version sells well, but she (and I) lamented that the film is not being talked about much, so there you go: commence discussion.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Power Member

Oct 2008

I confirmed the release with Music Box a couple of weeks ago when I found out The Names of Love would not be released on blu.

It's great news especially since I'm not sure the EU release ever happened.
US/UK films that need to be on blu-ray:The Little Foxes (1941 Wyler), The Court Jester (1955 Frank/Panama), Thunderheart (1992, Apted) , Lone Star (1996, Sayles)

Foreign films that need to be on blu-ray:
Raise The Red Lantern (1991, Zhang), The Best of Youth (2003, Giordana), Still Life (2006, Jia), 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007, Mungiu)

Last edited by TJS_Blu; 11-21-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS_Blu View Post
I confirmed the release with Music Box a couple of weeks ago when I found out The Names of Love would not be released on blu.

It's great news especially since I'm not sure the EU release ever happened.
It did, as a Fnac exclusive, first in Portugal, then in France. The versions may not be exactly the same, but in both cases three versions were issued: A Blu-ray version of the feature film, a DVD version of the feature film and a combination miniseries/feature six-disc box set (DVD only).
Old 11-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
It did, as a Fnac exclusive, first in Portugal, then in France. The versions may not be exactly the same, but in both cases three versions were issued: A Blu-ray version of the feature film, a DVD version of the feature film and a combination miniseries/feature six-disc box set (DVD only).
You may be right, but when I looked at the French fnac page, what I saw was product not available...

The Portuguese listing doesn't have a comprar button, so unless it was a limited edn (for god sakes, why), I don't know that it ever actually happened.
US/UK films that need to be on blu-ray:The Little Foxes (1941 Wyler), The Court Jester (1955 Frank/Panama), Thunderheart (1992, Apted) , Lone Star (1996, Sayles)

Raise The Red Lantern (1991, Zhang), The Best of Youth (2003, Giordana), Still Life (2006, Jia), 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007, Mungiu)

Last edited by TJS_Blu; 11-21-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
You may be right, but when I looked at the French fnac page, what I saw was product not available...

The Portuguese listing doesn't have a comprar button, so unless it was a limited edn (for god sakes, why), I don't know that it ever actually happened.
The Portuguese edition is here at Fnac.pt:

http://www.fnac.pt/Box-Os-Misterios-...ar/a352197?PID

Click the big button under the EUR 39,99 price to add it to your cart, then sign in / sign-up and checkout. Payment is by Credit Card (not like Fnac.fr where PayPal is an option).
Old 11-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
Power Member

Oct 2008

I think you're link is for a DVD box

Looks like the BD is here.

Weird that it's available in fnac.pt but not France.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:52 AM   #8
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
I think you're link is for a DVD box

Looks like the BD is here.

Weird that it's available in fnac.pt but not France.
It is. As I said, the miniseries has only been released on DVD in that boxset. That version of the film has not made it to Blu-ray anywhere (yet).

To be clear, the Portuguese editions are exclusive to Fnac.pt:

Feature Film (Blu-ray)

Feature Film (DVD)

The film and the miniseries (DVD only)

The French versions are exclusive to Fnac.fr:

Feature Film (Blu-ray)

Feature Film (DVD)

The film and the miniseries (DVD only)

The only issue is that I can't confirm that the French releases have the subtitling options the Portuguese ones do, so I went with the Portuguese DVD box, which is presently being shipped to me.

Last edited by McCrutchy; 11-22-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:57 AM   #9
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy
It is. As I said, the miniseries has only been released on DVD in that boxset. That version of the film has not made it to Blu-ray anywhere (yet).
OK, I know you've been talking about multiple versions. I have only been talking about a blu-ray of the theatrical release. The French Blu release is not available. I wasn't aware that the Portuguese release was available, so thanks for pointing that out. I would be interested to see if fnac.pt is actually shipping the blu-ray or if they just haven't updated their site. However, since Music Box will be releasing within a month, not much point in trying to find out.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #10
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
OK, I know you've been talking about multiple versions. I have only been talking about a blu-ray of the theatrical release. The French Blu release is not available.
Hmm, I see. I did not notice whether the French Blu-ray was available when last I checked.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

I received my Portuguese film/miniseries DVD box set today from Fnac.pt, and found to my surpise that the extras also appear to be English-friendly (I have only had time to check a couple). It appears the entire set was subtitled in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish, with English, French and Portuguese menu options.

I would not be surprised if the discs are exactly the same in the French DVD box set exclusive to Fnac.fr.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy
I received my Portuguese film/miniseries DVD box set today
Very nice. You'll have to update us with your thoughts on theatrical vs. mini-series when you get a chance.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Expert Member

Feb 2008

The US release of Mysteries of Lisbon, a terrific and sumptuous offering film, was rescheduled to Tuesday, January 17th, 2012. A few more weeks.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #14

Feb 2009
Default Purchased the 385 Minute Version Online at VUDU

I saw this movie listed on VUDU and decided to purchase it (my first online movie purchase) for $19.99 in HDX (1080p) and it looks fantastic on my TV. Usually I wait for the BD to come out but after reading this forum I realized that I would prefer to see the 6 hours and 25 minute version which VUDU is showing. Also, you can rent the movie for $5.99 in HDX or HD (720p) but wanted to buy it since I want to take my time watching it. I have only viewed the first hour but can tell you that this movie is epic in every way!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #15
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Mysteries of Lisbon Blu-ray Review
Old 01-15-2012, 02:28 AM   #16
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

I cannot wait for my disc to arrive. Magnificent film