Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$96.32
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-30-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
Power Member

Dec 2009
Texas, at the bottom of a well 21,000 ft down
Default Rapture / Picnic / The Roots of Heaven - Reviews, Order from Twilight Time

Picnic Blu-ray Amazon order

Picnic Blu-ray Review

The Roots of Heaven Blu-ray Amazon order

The Roots of Heaven Blu-ray Review

Rapture Blu-ray Amazon order

Rapture Blu-ray Review

I did not see a thread for these films, so I decided to start one.

NOTE: According to a statement released by Twilight Time, only 3000 units of each title will be produced, aimed at the collector/classic film aficionado market, and available exclusively online through http://www.screenarchives.com, the nation's largest independent distributor of specialty soundtracks.

Twilight Time will be releasing Rapture on December 13, 2011. Picnic and The Roots of Heaven are scheduled for release on January 17, 2012.

The intent of this thread is for those familiar with these films to discuss their upcoming release and for those unfamiliar with them (like me) to have a place to learn about them.

Please, no rants or ravings about Twilight Time's pricing and limited release business model. Please let's just discuss the films, their place in cinema history, and why they are worth adding to our collections.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 01-22-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

Limited edition? $29.95 MSRP and available exclusively on one site??!?! Who do these guys think they are??
Old 11-30-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Thanks for the update. I would also like to hear some user comments on the film Rapture set to be released in December by TT. While its been mentioned in previous threads it got lost / drowned out in all the discussion about Fright Night.
Lloyd C. Cramden: Flint, How do you find time to read all these books?
Derek Flint: No, no, no, sir, I wrote those.

In Like Flint (1967)

Last edited by arcadeforest; 11-30-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:29 AM   #4
Expert Member

Jan 2008
San Antonio Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildude View Post

I did not see a thread for these two films, so decided to start one.

NOTE: According to a statement released by Twilight Time, only 3000 units of each title will be produced, aimed at the collector/classic film aficionado market, and available exclusively online through http://www.screenarchives.com, the nation's largest independent distributor of specialty soundtracks.

Picnic and The Roots of Heaven are scheduled for release by Twilight Time in January 2012. The intent of this thread is for those familiar with these films to discuss their upcoming release and for those unfamiliar with them (like me) to have a place to learn about them.

Please, no rants or ravings about Twilight Time's pricing and limited release business model. Please let's just discuss the films, their place in cinema history, and why they are worth adding to our collections.
I'd like to restrict my comments to Picnic (1955) as I am familiar with this movie. I'm surprised this title will not be marketed with a broader base than a restricted 3000 blu-ray copies. So be it.

Based on a successful William Inge play Picnic was performed on Broadway and directed by Joshua Logan in its original production. It does not happen frequently but sometimes, as in the case of Picnic, the original director is offered the chance by Hollywood to recreate their Broadway success up on the BIG screen. In the process some cast changes occurred. Some members of the original Broadway cast portrayed their roles for the movie. William Holden playing against type replaced Ralph Meeker in the leading role of the drifter, Hal Carter. Cliff Robertson took over the role of Alan Benson originated by Paul Newman on Broadway. Newcomer Kim Novak won the role of Madge originated by Janice Rule on Broadway. One of the original CinemaScope 55 with a 4-Track Stereo soundtrack movies produced (exhibited in CinemaScope only) it should if restored with care look and sound fantastic on Blu-Ray. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

BTW, Joshua Logan was no one hit wonder as a movie director.
Check out his other movies hopefully Blu-Ray bound in the near future:
Mister Roberts (1955)
Picnic (1955) - about to be released to Blu-Ray
Bus Stop (1956)
Sayonara (1957)
South Pacific (1958) - already on Blu-Ray
Fanny (1961)
Ensign Pulver (1964)
Camelot (1967) - being released to Blu-Ray in 2012
and my favorite musical
Paint Your Wagon (1969)

Graduate of Princeton, having delayed his graduation by studying under Konstantin Stanislavski in Russia ("method" acting originated under his guidance and spread worldwide), Joshua Logan was born in 1908 and died at 79 years of age in 1988. Had he spent more time involved in movies instead of his first love - the theatre - he was considered by movie industry insiders to be "another potential John Ford in the making". Picnic is an important movie not to be overlooked.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:19 AM   #5
Special Member

Aug 2007
USA
-
-

I'm a big fan of Picnic, but I guess I'll have to pass. I already own both the full screen DVD and the widescreen version that came with the great Kim Novak boxset. $29.99 plus shipping is just too much for me.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
Limited edition? $29.95 MSRP and available exclusively on one site??!?! Who do these guys think they are??
I guess you missed the opening email directly above you that said: "Please, no rants or ravings about Twilight Time's pricing and limited release business model. Please let's just discuss the films, their place in cinema history, and why they are worth adding to our collections."

I don't think $29.95 is too outrageous a price to put on a print run of 3,000 copies. I'm sure if it was American Pie Part 27 or something like that with a 3,000 print run, there would be people climbing over each other to get it. Heck, if it has a slipcover, some would be drooling at the mere thought of it.

And Picnic is a wonderful movie, far superior to many films released today.

Last edited by bluskies; 11-30-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2video2 View Post
I'd like to restrict my comments to Picnic (1955) as I am familiar with this movie. I'm surprised this title will not be marketed with a broader base than a restricted 3000 blu-ray copies. So be it.

Based on a successful William Inge play Picnic was performed on Broadway and directed by Joshua Logan in its original production. It does not happen frequently but sometimes, as in the case of Picnic, the original director is offered the chance by Hollywood to recreate their Broadway success up on the BIG screen. In the process some cast changes occurred. Some members of the original Broadway cast portrayed their roles for the movie. William Holden playing against type replaced Ralph Meeker in the leading role of the drifter, Hal Carter. Cliff Robertson took over the role of Alan Benson originated by Paul Newman on Broadway. Newcomer Kim Novak won the role of Madge originated by Janice Rule on Broadway. One of the original CinemaScope 55 with a 4-Track Stereo soundtrack movies produced (exhibited in CinemaScope only) it should if restored with care look and sound fantastic on Blu-Ray. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

BTW, Joshua Logan was no one hit wonder as a movie director.
Check out his other movies hopefully Blu-Ray bound in the near future:
Mister Roberts (1955)
Bus Stop (1956)
Sayonara (1957)
Fanny (1961)
Ensign Pulver (1964)
and my favorite musical
Paint Your Wagon (1969)

Graduate of Princeton, having delayed his graduation by studying under Konstantin Stanislavski in Russia ("method" acting originated under his guidance and spread worldwide), Joshua Logan was born in 1908 and died at 79 years of age in 1988. Had he spent more time involved in movies instead of his first love - the theatre - he was considered by movie industry insiders to be "another potential John Ford in the making". Picnic is an important movie not to be overlooked.
Great post In2! Thanks. I didn't know this stuff. Saw it about 25 years ago, but I like Picnic....
Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
When Twilight Time made their January announcement in2video2, it was Roots of Heaven that caught my interest initially, mainly because I missed it during its original theatrical release, and I don't recall it at all on home video. Was there even a Region 1 DVD? Like Rapture, Roots of Heaven will be an entirely new experience for me.

On the other hand, with all the great 50s/60s movies in Blu-ray limbo right now, the Twilight Time release of Picnic (along with the other Kim Novak movies) seemed like an odd choice for TT treatment. Initially, I wasn't even sure I wanted any of those Novak titles that badly (still to come from TT, Pal Joey and Bell, Book, and Candle). But when I read your post, it occurred to me that I'd simply never seen Picnic widescreen, much less in 2.55:1 CinemaScope. Not theatrically, and not on home video. Now it intrigues me much more because, any merits as a film aside (it's one I recall liking a lot, but not loving), it will no doubt 'feel' like a new experience. As you say, transferred from CinemaScope 55 elements, it should be superb quality.
Quote:
BTW, Joshua Logan was no one hit wonder as a movie director. Check out his other movies hopefully Blu-Ray bound in the near future:
Mister Roberts (1955)
Bus Stop (1956)
Sayonara (1957)
Fanny (1961)
Ensign Pulver (1964)
and my favorite musical
Paint Your Wagon (1969)
...a nice little reminder that on the whole I've enjoyed the work of Joshua Logan (except for the filter nightmare in South Pacific). He certainly worked well with actors, so there are quite a few of those titles I would welcome seeing on Blu. BTW, where is the queen of widescreen, Marilyn Monroe? She's almost totally MIA on Blu, and Logan's Bus Stop was one of her finest performances.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get used to checking Twilight's Time's monthly announcements. They've done outstanding work so far, so if they're going after what seem like more obscure catalogue titles, I have increasing faith that they've chosen well in terms of finally getting these movies right on home video.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeforest View Post
Thanks for the update. I would also like to hear some user comments on the film Rapture set to be released in December by TT. While its been mentioned in previous threads it got lost / drowned out in all the discussion about Fright Night.
I pre-ordered Rapture blind arcadeforest. After Twilight Time's out-of-the-gate successes with The Egyptian and Mysterious Island, I'm treating the output of this label as an opportunity to enjoy quality presentations of catalogue titles that likely would not have seen release on Blu-ray any other way...kind of like a 'book of the month' club for home video collectors.

Last edited by ROclockCK; 12-01-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskies View Post
I guess you missed the opening email directly above you that said: "Please, no rants or ravings about Twilight Time's pricing and limited release business model. Please let's just discuss the films, their place in cinema history, and why they are worth adding to our collections."
It was a joke referencing all of the whining in the Fright Night thread.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #11

Sep 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROclockCK View Post
When Twilight Time made their January announcement in2video2, it was Roots of Heaven that caught my interest initially, mainly because I missed it during its original theatrical release, and I don't recall it at all on home video. Was there even a Region 1 DVD? Like Rapture, Roots of Heaven will be an entirely new experience for me.
Both very interesting titles although it's a long time since I saw PICNIC and I don't remember much about it. I have the Spanish DVD of ROOTS OF HEAVEN, which wasn't released on region 1. The transfer is brilliant and no doubt the Blu-ray will look wonderful. It's an interesting, unusual film with great colour photography and a superb cast.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

I will for sure pick up Picnic and will probably grab Roots of Heaven at the same time.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Marantz SR700
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Old 12-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROclockCK View Post
I pre-ordered Rapture blind arcadeforest. After Twilight Time's out-of-the-gate successes with The Egyptian and Mysterious Island, I'm treating the output of this label as an opportunity to enjoy quality presentations of catalogue titles that likely would not have seen release on Blu-ray any other way...kind of like a 'book of the month' club for home video collectors.
I purchased both The Egyptian and Mysterious Island as well. Very happy with both films. I plan on purchasing releases from Twilight Time with your same approach. I had never seen The Egyptian and to be honest would probably would not have seen that gem if it was not for this company releasing the bluray. I still need to preorder Fright Night but I plan on getting Rapture, Picnic and The Roots of Heaven as well. Also interested in getting The Flim Flam Man from them but its currently only a DVD release, I need to see if a bluray release is coming at some point.

In Like Flint (1967)
Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #14
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Quote:
One of the original CinemaScope 55 with a 4-Track Stereo soundtrack movies produced (exhibited in CinemaScope only) it should if restored with care look and sound fantastic on Blu-Ray. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.
Don't you mean magnetic track CinemaScope (2.55:1) ?

(CinemaScope55 is The King and I and Carousel)
Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #15

Aug 2009

I've seen Rapture - saw it originally at a sneak preview in LA, where the audience simply did not know what to make of it, and then a few more times when it came out and played for only one week, after which it disappeared completely. I loved Patricia Gozzi back then because I was a huge fan of Sundays and Cybele (and we NEED that on Blu and I happen to know it was slated and may now not be, so if the latter is the case, I do hope TT picks it up instantly), so I really liked the film a lot. John Guillerman says it's his favorite of all his films.

I got an advance check disc of the Blu-ray and it's wonderful - there's really nothing like black and white scope and the photography is stunning. Georges Delerue's score is haunting, and Melvyn Douglas and Dean Stockwell are great. But it's Miss Gozzi who is the heart and soul of the film - simply one of the greatest child actors ever - I think she was thirteen or fourteen during the filming of Rapture - that could not happen in today's PC world - certain things people just don't want to know about today and so no one goes near those topics.

Can you imagine Louis Malle's Pretty Baby being made today? Could not happen.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #16
Power Member

Dec 2009
Texas, at the bottom of a well 21,000 ft down

I think there is room enought in this thread to include discussions of Rapture as well. We are already including it and it may get lost otherwise. I don't recall Rapture having a thread already.

However, I don't see a way for me to alter the thread title.

Mods -
  • please change the title to: Rapture (1965), Picnic (1955), and The Roots of Heaven (1958) from Twilight Time.
  • I will change the opening post to show the Rapture picture, and alter the text this evening when I get home from work and have more time.
  • I left the release months out of the title (Dec 2010-Jan 2010) because it may be too long. If there is room for that, please include this; otherwise, it will be corrected in the opening post.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
PA

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mov...-schedule.html
Old 12-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildude View Post
I think there is room enought in this thread to include discussions of Rapture as well. We are already including it and it may get lost otherwise. I don't recall Rapture having a thread already.

However, I don't see a way for me to alter the thread title.

Mods -
  • please change the title to: Rapture (1965), Picnic (1955), and The Roots of Heaven (1958) from Twilight Time.
  • I will change the opening post to show the Rapture picture, and alter the text this evening when I get home from work and have more time.
  • I left the release months out of the title (Dec 2010-Jan 2010) because it may be too long. If there is room for that, please include this; otherwise, it will be corrected in the opening post.
Thanks for including Rapture. I debated sending you a PM asking if you could do so. It did not have a dedicated thread and with all the Fright Night discussion it got lost. Never seen this and while I'll still pick this up its always interesting to here feedback from members here.

In Like Flint (1967)
Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesheik View Post
I've seen Rapture - saw it originally at a sneak preview in LA, where the audience simply did not know what to make of it, and then a few more times when it came out and played for only one week, after which it disappeared completely. I loved Patricia Gozzi back then because I was a huge fan of Sundays and Cybele (and we NEED that on Blu and I happen to know it was slated and may now not be, so if the latter is the case, I do hope TT picks it up instantly), so I really liked the film a lot. John Guillerman says it's his favorite of all his films.

I got an advance check disc of the Blu-ray and it's wonderful - there's really nothing like black and white scope and the photography is stunning. Georges Delerue's score is haunting, and Melvyn Douglas and Dean Stockwell are great. But it's Miss Gozzi who is the heart and soul of the film - simply one of the greatest child actors ever - I think she was thirteen or fourteen during the filming of Rapture - that could not happen in today's PC world - certain things people just don't want to know about today and so no one goes near those topics.

Can you imagine Louis Malle's Pretty Baby being made today? Could not happen.
Thanks for info, looking forward to watching it.

In Like Flint (1967)
Old 12-02-2011, 04:22 AM   #20
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeforest View Post
I purchased both The Egyptian and Mysterious Island as well. Very happy with both films. I plan on purchasing releases from Twilight Time with your same approach. I had never seen The Egyptian and to be honest would probably would not have seen that gem if it was not for this company releasing the bluray. I still need to preorder Fright Night but I plan on getting Rapture, Picnic and The Roots of Heaven as well.
Coincidentally, I just stopped at Best Buy and Future Shop on the way home tonight arcadeforest, and after roaming their Blu-ray aisles for about 15 minutes, left each store with zip, zero, zilch. Same new/recent releases available from all the other big boxes, with very little of interest to catalogue collectors. Even the bargain bins had the same also-ran product. No undervalued gems to discover. I couldn't even spot half the titles in my collection amongst the regular priced Blu's.

I used to get excited as I pulled up to those stores, wondering what half-forgotten treasure I would find this week. But not anymore. What I'm seeking simply isn't there now. In fact, I get more excited by a pre-order going up for these limited TT editions, or some other obscure title I stumble across on Amazon.

So I'm feeling the 'shift' already, and am glad I've started paying attention to these boards.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America