Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 12-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Denmark
Default Sony and AVForums Projector Event (28th Nov.)

Sony and AVForums hold a launch event for the VW1000 4K projector as well as showing off the VW95ES 3D and HW30ES 3D Projectors. The event was held in London on the 28th of November.

Look at the size of that VW1000.
PJ: JVC DLA-X30 (w/ DVDO iScan Duo, i1 Display Pro & Darbee DVP5000), Elite Spectrum 125" Speakers: B&W CMC2, 2x CM9, 2x CM5, 2x SVS SB12-NSD, 3x Clark TST209 Bluray Player: Denon DBP-4010UD AV Reciever/Amp: Denon AVR-4311 (w/ MultEQ Pro, FBQ1000 & Premium + Dayton EMM-6), Dayton SA240-B
Old 12-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the post... it was a fun watch for a Sunday morning!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

Watched this at avsforum.com, and I found it pretty uninsightful. They didn't even mention if it could accept a 4K signal (which is possible with a computer, and content is actually plentiful with computer video games can accept this resolution). Basically they said this is a 2K projector with a 4K chip from what I watched. Most of the people that were impressed with the projector had to do with the higher quality optics and better light engine, being a high end build, not at all from the resolution or the scaling. It also was a pretty unfair comparison using the VW30 for the "4K vs 3D" argument, since that projector is a mid-end model with factory built parts. Of course this is done to up-sell the 4K vw1000.
Projector:Infocus X10 1080p DLP projector & DIY anamorphic lens
TV:Samsung DLP 1080p TV HL-T5676S
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5640 AV receiver
HTPC/gaming rig
Add me on Steam: rctyke (trogdor2010)
Old 12-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post
Watched this at avsforum.com, and I found it pretty uninsightful. They didn't even mention if it could accept a 4K signal (which is possible with a computer, and content is actually plentiful with computer video games can accept this resolution). Basically they said this is a 2K projector with a 4K chip from what I watched. Most of the people that were impressed with the projector had to do with the higher quality optics and better light engine, being a high end build, not at all from the resolution or the scaling. It also was a pretty unfair comparison using the VW30 for the "4K vs 3D" argument, since that projector is a mid-end model with factory built parts. Of course this is done to up-sell the 4K vw1000.
For something you found uninsightful you certainly had a lot of insight into it.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

I'll take that as a compliment.

I just think they are simply trying to up sell a high end device in the otherwise high end market. Of course higher end machines (like the VW1000) are going to outperform projectors like their much lower end VW30. The video's purpose is to be a "4K vs 3D" argument, comparing two forms that are ultimately meant to achieve for different purposes (4K is resolution, 3D is stereoscopic vision, both can work together), but they try to sell the high end machine out as if 4k is simply "better". There was a guy in the video that complained there was no 4K video (I respect that), but also complained about DVD upconversion?

I know this projector is meant for people with the cash, but the point of the device is to display 4K content, and they talk more about how great it is (and I bet it is), but hardly anything about the device, nor anything at all. It's like selling a Lamborghini to a Ford audience.
Projector:Infocus X10 1080p DLP projector & DIY anamorphic lens
TV:Samsung DLP 1080p TV HL-T5676S
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5640 AV receiver
HTPC/gaming rig
Add me on Steam: rctyke (trogdor2010)
Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Yeah today I read a blog from an Electronic House editor on 4K possibly being the big thing coming at CES in January. To my surprise the blog echoed some of my skeptical sentiments. EHouse seems to be pretty quick to jump on the new tech bandwagon and there is no doubt that this could be a tougher sell than HD or 3D to many. Anyways, read it here if your interested:

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...ion_is_coming/

I'm still all about 4k if some content shows up on disc... even in limited form.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors