COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series Collection (DVD)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
$24.99
Jean Rollin: The Vampire Films (DVD)
$32.99
Boardwalk Empire: The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
$29.96
Y Tu Mamá También (DVD)
$17.98
Longmire: The Complete Second Season (DVD)
$25.05
Only Lovers Left Alive (DVD)
$23.79
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Complete Series (DVD)
$139.99
Bones: The Complete Ninth Season (DVD)
$24.99
The Good Wife: The Fifth Season (DVD)
$27.99
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Complete Series (DVD)
$164.99
Man Camp (DVD)
$20.38
Star Trek: Voyager: Seasons 1-7 (DVD)
$167.49
Agatha Christie's Poirot, Series 13 (DVD)
$32.49
NCIS: The Complete Tenth Season (DVD)
$17.99
The Andy Griffith Show: The Complete Third Season (DVD)
$7.50
Criminal Minds: The Eighth Season (DVD)
$14.99
Hannibal: Season Two (DVD)
$26.99
Mr. and Mrs. Murder Series 1 (DVD)
$23.51

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 12-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #1

Aug 2010
Default Where to sell DVD's

Hey guys...over the years I've been replacing my dvd's and changing over to blu ray. I've got about 56 all in pretty good condition. So im just opening to suggestions of where to sell them and what your opinions are. The most obvious place would be eBay but I've never used it. BestBuy uses a buybak system and you get a gift card but im trying to get some actual cash.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
Carmel, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmar106 View Post
Hey guys...over the years I've been replacing my dvd's and changing over to blu ray. I've got about 56 all in pretty good condition. So im just opening to suggestions of where to sell them and what your opinions are. The most obvious place would be eBay but I've never used it. BestBuy uses a buybak system and you get a gift card but im trying to get some actual cash.
Unless its a super rare edition or a big set, you're more than likely not going to get any more for them than the $5.00 coupons that BB is offering, or the trade in program through WB. If you sell em on ebay you're lookin at a couple dollars TOPS for most titles. If you're still interested, ebay is probably the best bet or half.com, or amazon marketplace...
“Reach out your hands. Out for the ones who, aid when the going gets rough. Until the end. These are the ones who, help when the times get tough. And times will get tough. Get up again.” -Flaw-
Old 12-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
California!

Yard Sale, honestly, it's not really worth the trouble sending out a DVD you made $4 w/ shipping, you might as well sell it for $2 at your yard sale. It's sad how cheap DVDs are now, thats why I went Blu-Ray, if you don't care for a movie, people will buy it for more than a DVD even if it is a crappy movie, I recently got outbidded on ebay for Meet the Spartans Blu-Ray. -.- I thought I'd win it for sure. LOL.
Anna Faris' Biggest Fan

A year ago (June 2013), I saw Showgirls for the first time and it's changed my life.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #4

Jan 2011
O-H-I-O

Garage or yard sale for sure. One place NOT to go is used videogame/movie stores. They want to give you $0.25 for a 2-disc deluxe Gladiator and turn around sell it for $8-10 (or more).
Old 12-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

If you do it at a store, getting cash will get you a whole lot less value then if you went with store credit. Like maybe even 25-30% less.
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 12-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Banned

Aug 2011

My local pawn shops take them for $1 so I took 15 of them there recently. Just old titles I bought and probably only watched once, ever. Those "i thought it was okay, ehh what the hell I'll buy it." movies that you regret later. I figured why not sell them for $1 now before they start taking them for less. I know a couple of years ago the pawn shops took DVDs for $2 now it's $1. The value of used DVDs is getting worse.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by victim View Post
My local pawn shops take them for $1 so I took 15 of them there recently. Just old titles I bought and probably only watched once, ever. Those "i thought it was okay, ehh what the hell I'll buy it." movies that you regret later. I figured why not sell them for $1 now before they start taking them for less. I know a couple of years ago the pawn shops took DVDs for $2 now it's $1. The value of used DVDs is getting worse.
Usually it depends on the movie. Like is it a rare movie or is it common, how old the movie is, etc. Though some places don't really care about that stuff.
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I just sent 14 to Best Buy for $80 gift card.

https://bestbuytradein.buybak.com/calculator.bb

All the Best Buy trade in values were higher than Amazon.

They gave me $20 for the Original Star Wars trilogy (special editions not the "real" ones) which is insane given the original trilogy is $30 on Blu.

They gave me $22 for LOTR EE DVDs which is a lot more than Amazon's $8.

I also traded in a CD for $0.25 which was fine. It was like new because it was a gift that I didn't care for.

-Brian
Blu Rays are Forever

Last edited by bhampton; 12-09-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #9

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefiftyrocket View Post
Unless its a super rare edition or a big set, you're more than likely not going to get any more for them than the $5.00 coupons that BB is offering, or the trade in program through WB. If you sell em on ebay you're lookin at a couple dollars TOPS for most titles. If you're still interested, ebay is probably the best bet or half.com, or amazon marketplace...
Oh, WB is still doing that?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #10

Sep 2010

Be sure to check if your DVD is out of print before getting rid of it...it should be worth a lot more. I'd never let go of my Vision Quest DVD (unless it came to blu), but if I did, I could get a decent amount for it.
Top Ten Movies I Want to See on Blu-Ray (that aren't already coming): 10. Real Genius 9. Waking Ned Devine 8. Pee Wee's Big Adventure 7. The Muppet Movie 6. Murder on the Orient Express 5. Team America 4. Steel Magnolias 3. Victor/Victoria 2. Little Shop of Horrors 1. Hedwig & the Angry Inch
Old 12-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
Banned

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
I just sent 14 to Best Buy for $80 gift card.

https://bestbuytradein.buybak.com/calculator.bb

All the Best Buy trade in values were higher than Amazon.

They gave me $20 for the Original Star Wars trilogy (special editions not the "real" ones) which is insane given the original trilogy is $30 on Blu.

They gave me $22 for LOTR EE DVDs which is a lot more than Amazon's $8.

I also traded in a CD for $0.25 which was fine. It was like new because it was a gift that I didn't care for.

-Brian
Did a few searches on that buybak site. My DVDs are worthless. Most I can get is probably $9 for my Stick It DVD, but I love that movie and it's not on blu yet so I'm keeping it.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #12

Nov 2011
cyberspace

I had a lot of success on Craigslist selling my DVD's it is better than a yard sale because you can reach people who don't go looking for yard sales. Pawn shops are a rip off they never give you what they are worth and the more you are selling them the less they will give you per title.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #13

Dec 2011
Northeast Pa.

Ebay is the easiest but their fees got to be rediculous on top of the paypal fees too. I would to try craigslist but just tried selling an iphone 4 and got hammerd with people trying to f*** me. Not to mention you have to think about the craigslist killer right.
Psn: guido1977
Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

I just give them to family and friends who don't use Blu-ray. The feeling of giving far outweighs the $3 - $5 I can get for them.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #15

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Garage or yard sale for sure. One place NOT to go is used videogame/movie stores. They want to give you $0.25 for a 2-disc deluxe Gladiator and turn around sell it for $8-10 (or more).
I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

I sell all the time on ebay and make a pretty good return. Lately I've been trading in on Amazon, too. I have a lot of OOP stuff and that goes for a good price.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #17

Jun 2009
Lac-a-la-tortue, Pq, Canada
Canada

I have used those means :

Participate in a yard sale once a year

Leverage your Facebook friends and coworkers to promote your titles, have a list ready to handle to interested people

Make use of the occasionnal "Get a 7$ credit for your old DVD when purchasing a BD" promos, Best buy and HMV had those promos a few time in the past

Bring the unsellable V.V.S. turds to the local pawnshop

Children/familly titles are selling well but DVDs generally are losing value by the months. Don't expect to get 10$ for them, unload them FAST while you can!
--
Awww, how cute. You measure your TV's size in inches...
Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]
Thumbs up

Just in case you are not able to sell your DVD's. Why don't you donate them to your local Goodwill instead? That is what I do when I have DVD's that my family and friends don't want. And, Goodwill will give you a receipt that you can use as a tax write-off. I have been doing this for several years now.
"I never claimed to be your saviour,
i said i had a dirty mouth,
stop analyzing my behaviour,
if you're too dumb to work it out"

song: dumb by garbage [album: version 2.0 /1998]
Old 01-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinejulia View Post
Thanks...It's a good idea. But can you tell about any organization where I should donate? is it sure that they will provide a receipt to me and can be use as a tax write-off?
I also have a Salvation Army store but I have never donated to them before. If you ever plan on donating to Goodwill just ask for a receipt if they forget to provide you with one. I donate on average about 3-4 times a year and it is not only DVD's. I also give VHS tapes, new/used clothes, books, toys, music CD's and misc. household goods. These donations are tax deductible (amount varies by state). Just don't expect to be able to deduct a whole lot on your taxes but it is better than nothing. Helping Goodwill provides jobs and services for people with challenges. I hope this helps in your decision.
"I never claimed to be your saviour,
i said i had a dirty mouth,
stop analyzing my behaviour,
if you're too dumb to work it out"

song: dumb by garbage [album: version 2.0 /1998]
Old 01-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinejulia View Post
I have vast amount of DVDs and want to sell as soon as possible. Some of them are original but some dummies. So any one is here to help me?
Dummies as in pirated? If so, you won't be able to sell burn copies of movies to a legitimate business establishment at all because they're illegal. No merchant will accept them! Originals DVDs has depreciated significantly in resell value, so you may not get very much. But something is better than nothing! If nobody in your family is interested ( I don't see why not) you can donate them to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, or your local Library.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies