Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Now: Snow White and the Huntsman $4.00 (99% sold out)
Now: Magic Mike $3.96 (99% sold out)
Now: Rio 2 $7.96 (95% sold out)
Soon: Grimm: Season Two ()
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Killing Them Softly (Blu-ray)
$3.99
3 hrs ago
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$6.00
15 hrs ago
12 Years a Slave (Blu-ray)
$6.96
12 hrs ago
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Blu-ray)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99
17 hrs ago
The Rover (Blu-ray)
$6.96
12 hrs ago
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$6.96
12 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$9.00
14 hrs ago
Escape Plan (Blu-ray)
$6.96
12 hrs ago
Super 8 (Blu-ray)
$4.99
17 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96
12 hrs ago
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 12-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #1

Oct 2011
Bucharest, Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to Legolas13
Default HELP ! Problems playing Blu-rays on my PC !

Hi ! First of all, I am sorry if I posted in the wrong place ! I searched for any HELP threads but could not find any ! If this belongs somewhere else, please move it. I bought a Blu-ray player for my PC a few months ago and watched movies without issues via PowerDVD or ArcSoft Total media Theater.

After I made a reinstall of Windows 2 months ago, I started to first have issues with the programs, saying that PowerDVD does not play any movie on Blu-ray if I don't have DVI or HDMI conenction (something it did not tell me before reinstalling Windows). I have two BenQ G2420HDB displays and I'm using a NVidia 9600 GT video card. I have managed to watch movies on Blu-Ray afetr trying out a program called AnyDVD. The problem is that when the bitrate is too fast or image is too full (example: the main title with the bats in Batman Begins or the Arkham Asylum Bats scene) the video becomes pixelated. I tried everything possible and I have run out of ideas !

My monitors are connected through D-SUB and I use a VGA/DVI adapted for both of them, however these issues started to occur after the last Windows reinstall. Please help

Note: MKV or 1080 trailers do not have any issues playing, only BD movies.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

It sounds like you need to install the latest graphics card driver for the version of Windows you are using and make sure you have all the latest Blu-ray software patch updates. Also doing a Windows update until Windows says all the updates are completed can fix issues with drivers and motherboard chipset issues.

It was working before you said, all you need is the latest software updates to get it working correctly again in theory.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 12-11-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #3

Oct 2011
Bucharest, Romania

I already have the newest video card software. I checked last night and there's nothing new. I made all the new Windwos Updates and still nothing. But when I checked my Nvidia settings it says my displays are connected via VGA, although and apparently PowerDVD can't run them in VGA> But they were connected the same before the reinstall, so why won't they let me play movies now ? I have VGA cables connected to DVI using DVI/VGA adapters.

When I select to download the software PowerDVD wants me to download (BD Advisor) the software tells me my graphics card can't handle VGA, only DVI or HDMI. Well, my connections are through VGA cables provided by the display manufacturer, but the card only has DVI and HDMI slots, so how can THE CARD be uncompatible ?!

So what the hell should I change ? My display cables, my graphics card or what ???
Old 12-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

If your monitor supports a direct DVI or HDMI input with HDCP then you should not be using a D SUB adapter. Using a direct DVI to DVI cable between the graphics card and monitor should solve your problem if your monitor supports HDCP.

It’s possible that the movies you are watching with the software version you are now using requires that all your devices be HDCP compatible. Your graphics card is HDCP compatible and if your monitor has a DVI HDCP connection then bypassing the D-Sub cable and VGA cable and using a DVI to DVI cable should solve the issue in theory.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #5

Oct 2011
Bucharest, Romania

OK, so I tried with a DVI cable. Star Wars works like a charm but Batman Begins has the same issues. Ideas now ?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas13 View Post
OK, so I tried with a DVI cable. Star Wars works like a charm but Batman Begins has the same issues. Ideas now ?
Try several different Blu-ray titles. If only one title is having playback problems it might be a problem with the Blu-ray player software.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #7

Oct 2011
Bucharest, Romania

Will do, thanks ! I'll get back to you
Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Oct 2011
Bucharest, Romania

First of all, Happy New Year ! OK, so I watched the X-Men movies on this vacation as well as The Dark Knight and Superman 1,2 and Returns. X-Men, like Star Wars, did not present issues, but Superman and TDK had the same issues, so I am thinking there may be aproblem with the software accepting Warner products.

Also, like Batman Begins, TDK had a lot of visual issues, even in scenes not action oriented, just stuff like the "I need a new suit" scene. I tried to preview a screensaver on both displays (I have two displays connected to my PC) and the second display (the one I usually watch movies on) has a lag, the bitrate of the screensaver on that display being smaller than on the main display. This was unnoticeable ifI hadn't tried the screensaver on both displays at once. Could it be a problem with the display ? For now I have a DVI cable only on the second display (the one for movies). I will add a DVI cable on the main display too and then try movies on that one and see what happens.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #9

Oct 2011
Bucharest, Romania

Added another DVI cable. Watched Green Lantern on Blu-ray today (it's a WB release) and did not have any issues whatsoever with it.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Illinois

Legolas13, are you using Nvidia's 290.53 Beta drivers?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #11

Oct 2011
Bucharest, Romania

Nope, 285.62-desktop-win7-winvista-32bit-international-whql
Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #12

Oct 2011
Bucharest, Romania

I watched Green Lantern recently on Blu-Ray and didn't have any issues with it, so I guess the problem fixed itself. Thank you, everyone !
Old 01-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #13

Jan 2012

better purchase a graphics card and put it in your laptop or PC.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #14

Oct 2011
Bucharest, Romania

I have a NVidia GeForce 9600GT
Old 03-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #15

Oct 2011
Bucharest, Romania

Well, apparently the issue did NOT in fact fix itself, but apparently happens ONLY on BATMAN blu-rays. My video card is NVidia 9600 GT (the girl even has PhysX so I don't think it's because of her).

I managed to make a video of my issues. Notice at 0:45 and 1:26

Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #16

Mar 2008

I used to have a 9600GT,BenQ H2220 full HD MonitorConnection is via DVI but found the setup was having problems (stuttering/hesitation)playing the odd BD disc on the PC..Using Powerdvd 11 ultra and TMT5.
I swapped to a Nvidia GTS450 video card. and haven't any dramas playing BDs anymore.
Might be worth a look at.

I am running W7 Professional(64 bit)
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #17

Oct 2011
Bucharest, Romania

Some people have said they have fixed the errors with WinDVD. I will try to play the movie with WinDVD first and see if the issue fixes itself before I take a leap at buying a new video card. A GT450 is pretty expensive right now, at least for me.

le: iSSUE STILL OCCURS WITH wINdvd. sO i'LL HAVE TO BUY A NEW VIDEO CARD, i GUESS.

Is it possible that this problem is due to the fact I have two monitors ?

My complete configuration:

NVidia GeForce 9600 GT - 512 MB
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor 3.10 Ghz
4 GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate x32
2 x BenQ G2420HDB HDMI connected monitors
1920x1080 Resolution
Refresh rate: 60 Hertz
Colors: True colors 32-bit

Last edited by Legolas13; 03-05-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #18

Oct 2011
Bucharest, Romania

Nobody ?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #19

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas13 View Post
Is it possible that this problem is due to the fact I have two monitors ?
Can't you just try with one monitor and see if the issue is still there?
Have you tried to rip the Blu-ray discs and see if the problem ecist if you play the files with some free software?
As I see from all of the Blu-ray player software you haven't tried just Nero's but it's a plugin for their other products and it's not very likely to work better than the other three commercial players.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #20

Oct 2011
Bucharest, Romania
Default maze

I didn't think about that but once you suggested it I tried and it occured just the same with one monitor.

I can't rip the discs because they are original retail discs, and in order to do a rip I would first have to make a demux to bypass protection and then turn that into an image, which takes at least 60 GB, 100 if the source is a 50 GB disc, space which I do not have.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Tags
monitor, pixelated, problem