Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.95
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Red Cliff Part I & II (Blu-ray)
$13.39
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.91
McLintock! (Blu-ray)
$10.20
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Damage Inc. Damage Inc. is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Damage Inc.'s Avatar
 
Jan 2009
The Netherlands
360
Question The Expendables - Which cut of the FIVE?!

Greetings.

I'm interested in seeing 'The Expendables', which I almost caught at the cinema when it was out, but I'll go with a BD now.
Only... which one Earth should I go with??
There are cuts of 99, 103, 104, 109 and 114 minutes, with names ranging from "special", "limited" to "extended" and "director's" editions/cuts.

Just... how am I supposed to pick which is best to watch?
Maybe a longer version has a more extensive story or just more action to it.
Do some of them also include multiple versions?
What are all the differences? Mostly based on censoring or is there more to it?

I'd like to get the longest version so I'm sure I wouldn't miss out on any content, but who knows it's not as good or I don't know what.
There are also a bunch of differences in physical content, nice sets and all.
But first it would be handy to know which cut would be nicest to have.
Then also if it's very available to me, cause for example that longest "Extended Director's Cut" at 114 minutes is sold in the US only (as far as I can see).
Oh... and it's locked apparently (I saw just now)... -_- But it would be expensive to import anyway.

Does anyone know more about this or have any suggestions?
"Many great films fail and many shitty movies make a lot of money." - John Landis

BD Wishlist: - Prince of Egypt - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Beverly Hills Cop - Bowfinger - Multiplicity - One Hour Photo - Series: - Over There - Flashpoint - Monk - Friends - My Name Is Earl - Music: - Maiden Rock In Rio - MetallicA S&M - Godsmack Changes - Ramms+ein Berlin - SlipKnoT Disasterpieces - Ozzy At Budokan - Satriani SF
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
nolfoc nolfoc is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2008
-
109
49
Default

what countries are these being released in? here in the US i believe their is only 2 cuts
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
manicsounds manicsounds is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
manicsounds's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Tokyo
1417
92
Default

Yup, there's the 103 minute theatrical and the 113 minute director's. I don't know what else is out there, and where you got those numbers from.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Special Member
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
515
194
Default

Yeah, I'm only aware of the two main cuts as well

But, on that note, I say go with the Director's Cut that just came out yesterday. While some people are irked about the inclusion of "Diamond Eyes" during part of the finale, the consensus overall is that it's a better cut.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
KaineKinetic KaineKinetic is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
KaineKinetic's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Suffolk County, NY
533
37
9
Send a message via Skype™ to KaineKinetic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
Yeah, I'm only aware of the two main cuts as well

But, on that note, I say go with the Director's Cut that just came out yesterday. While some people are irked about the inclusion of "Diamond Eyes" during part of the finale, the consensus overall is that it's a better cut.
Diamond Eyes?
What's that?
My 3DS nickname: Kaine
My 3DS friend code: 2492-4192-0317
WiiU NNID: Kaine_Morrison
XboX Live GamerTag: KaineKinetic
My Selling Page UPDATED 9/17-14
My Selling Page UPDATED 9/17-14
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
Damage Inc. Damage Inc. is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Damage Inc.'s Avatar
 
Jan 2009
The Netherlands
360
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicsounds View Post
Yup, there's the 103 minute theatrical and the 113 minute director's. I don't know what else is out there, and where you got those numbers from.
I didn't see any 113, but 114, unless that was a typo.
But I got these numbers from this very website here...
Just look for 'expendables' with "all" countries in the results, and you'll see all the times in the details of course.
There are MANY ones with 103 and 104, just one at 114 in the US and region-locked.
Then also a bunch of 99 and one or two of 109.

Here are some examples:
99:
- [UK] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/17049/
- [DE] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/17943/
103:
- [US] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/12797/
- [NL] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/18007/
104:
- [NL] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/19205/
- [DE] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/17941/
109:
- [DE] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Expend...Blu-ray/34504/
114:
- [US] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/31390/


I'm thinking that the 99 is Theatrical, 103, 104 and 109 "Extended" with some variation in times for censoring,
then the longest one being the "Director's Cut".
That's my guess.
Unless the times are all just inaccurate user-submitted information?...

It makes little sense to me at all, if there are so many versions.
Also that one single 109-minute version in there, just for Germany,
and that while they also have different ones, not just 109 minutes, but also 99 and 104 minutes.
Over here in The Netherlands there is 103 ans 104 minutes and far as I know.

Man, usually it's like... there are 2 or maybe 3 versions and it's clear what the difference would be.
With the exception of SOME movies like 'Watchmen', which confused me with all its cuts and versions.
But this is just weird to be honest. And annoying.
I mean, I wish there were just 2 with a lot of time-difference and I'd have an easy choice.
But now it's not clear to me, because I might just randomly pick one and find out that it misses something later on.
Or that there's a better and more complete version out there.
"Many great films fail and many shitty movies make a lot of money." - John Landis

BD Wishlist: - Prince of Egypt - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Beverly Hills Cop - Bowfinger - Multiplicity - One Hour Photo - Series: - Over There - Flashpoint - Monk - Friends - My Name Is Earl - Music: - Maiden Rock In Rio - MetallicA S&M - Godsmack Changes - Ramms+ein Berlin - SlipKnoT Disasterpieces - Ozzy At Budokan - Satriani SF

Last edited by Damage Inc.; 12-15-2011 at 12:04 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
wormraper wormraper is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona
2698
309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc. View Post
I didn't see any 113, but 114, unless that was a typo.
But I got these numbers from this very website here...
Just look for 'expendables' with "all" countries in the results, and you'll see all the times in the details of course.
There are MANY ones with 103 and 104, just one at 114 in the US and region-locked.
Then also a bunch of 99 and one or two of 109.

Here are some examples:
99:
- [UK] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/17049/
- [DE] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/17943/
103:
- [US] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/12797/
- [NL] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/18007/
104:
- [NL] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/19205/
- [DE] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/17941/
109:
- [DE] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Expend...Blu-ray/34504/
114:
- [US] http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ex...Blu-ray/31390/


I'm thinking that the 99 is Theatrical, 103, 104 and 109 "Extended" with some variation in times for censoring,
then the longest one being the "Director's Cut".
That's my guess.
Unless the times are all just inaccurate user-submitted information?...

It makes little sense to me at all, if there are so many versions.
Also that one single 109-minute version in there, just for Germany,
and that while they also have different ones, not just 109 minutes, but also 99 and 104 minutes.
Over here in The Netherlands there is 103 ans 104 minutes and far as I know.

Man, usually it's like... there are 2 or maybe 3 versions and it's clear what the difference would be.
With the exception of SOME movies like 'Watchmen', which confused me with all its cuts and versions.
But this is just weird to be honest. And annoying.
I mean, I wish there were just 2 with a lot of time-difference and I'd have an easy choice.
But now it's not clear to me, because I might just randomly pick one and find out that it misses something later on.
Or that there's a better and more complete version out there.
there are only TWO cuts. the rest is inaccurate user information

the 103 minute theatrical cut and the 113 minute directors cut.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Special Member
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
515
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_Blue View Post
Diamond Eyes?
What's that?

I was actually hoping this would be added to the end credits, which it was. But I was surprised that Stallone also added it to part of the finale as well. I think it would've worked better in the finale if they used an instrumental version.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 AM   #9
Damage Inc. Damage Inc. is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Damage Inc.'s Avatar
 
Jan 2009
The Netherlands
360
Default

Ah, OK.
So if I'd go with the UK SteelBook-release for example, which indicates 99 minutes on this website, I'd have the Theatrical of 103 minutes?

I would have a DVD with a "Making Of"-documentary instead I guess.
Unless that's also in the extras of the Director's Cut BD...

I don't get why the times are all different on this website then.
I guess it's taken from the case-info and that isn't always correct either.
But usually all the times from all releases seem pretty consistent.
As in, one cut not being a minute different from the US-release to the Dutch release for example.
The releases for this movie seem to be all over the place. :P
"Many great films fail and many shitty movies make a lot of money." - John Landis

BD Wishlist: - Prince of Egypt - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Beverly Hills Cop - Bowfinger - Multiplicity - One Hour Photo - Series: - Over There - Flashpoint - Monk - Friends - My Name Is Earl - Music: - Maiden Rock In Rio - MetallicA S&M - Godsmack Changes - Ramms+ein Berlin - SlipKnoT Disasterpieces - Ozzy At Budokan - Satriani SF

Last edited by Damage Inc.; 12-15-2011 at 03:35 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 PM.