Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Knight Rider: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.27
Waxwork / Waxwork II: Lost in Time (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Girlfriend Experience: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Aliens (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Pete's Dragon (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Suicide Squad 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$14.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Lone Wolf and Cub (Blu-ray)
$79.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #1

Nov 2011
Question Blu-ray NTSC vs. PAL - any difference in picture quality ?

I know that there are different regions when it comes to Blu-ray, but I have also seen mentioned (also on DVD) that there are listings that also has the NTSC and PAL (TV systems) included which I do not fully understand the use of. From what I know it what differ between video tapes (back in the old days): NTSC system on US and Northern TVs and video players, and PAL system over here in Europe.

Does the Blu-ray (and DVD) really have a locking to the two TV systems - or will a region free (all region) Blu-ray disc that has a NTSC format work on a PAL TV over here in Europe ?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phesstve View Post
I know that there are different regions when it comes to Blu-ray, but I have also seen mentioned (also on DVD) that there are listings that also has the NTSC and PAL (TV systems) included which I do not fully understand the use of. From what I know it what differ between video tapes (back in the old days): NTSC system on US and Northern TVs and video players, and PAL system over here in Europe.

Does the Blu-ray (and DVD) really have a locking to the two TV systems - or will a region free (all region) Blu-ray disc that has a NTSC format work on a PAL TV over here in Europe ?
Region coding is still in effect, but if the movie is region free your blu-ray will play on any blu-ray player across the globe. As they are all 1080p standard. So no NTSC(480i) or PAL(576i) anymore, like DVD and VHS before it. However you might not be able to view some special features which are just direct ports of NTSC/PAL from the DVD and are not remaster to 1080p.

So to answer your question, YES any region free (all region) Blu-ray disc from anywhere else in the world will play in Europe. The only thing that might not play are special features which were still in NTSC. But the movie will be AOK!!!
TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD

TILALLR1's UV / iTunes / Google Play / Disney DMA/DMR / Digital Copy - CODES FOR SALE

Last edited by tilallr1; 12-21-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #3

Nov 2011

Tilallr1, thank you very much for taking time explaining and giving me an answer about the Blu-ray. So I take it that buying a NTSC DVD - even if it is region free - will not work on my PAL European TV then ?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

NTSC/PAL standards don't apply to HD material but may still apply to SD content on BDs (extras, opening logos or trailers, warnings, etc).

I think it's a rule of thumb that if it's region free, it'll play in Europe. European BD players will play NTSC content. Not the case in the US with PAL though.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

Nov 2011

Thank you Rizor
Old 12-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Thank you Rizor
There are a number of region B titles that are region free, but have PAL content.
Thanks given by:
Ray_Rogers (09-10-2015)
Old 12-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #7

Oct 2008
Lanus, Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post
Region coding is still in effect, but if the movie is region free your blu-ray will play on any blu-ray player across the globe. As they are all 1080p standard. So no NTSC(480i) or PAL(576i) anymore, like DVD and VHS before it. However you might not be able to view some special features which are just direct ports of NTSC/PAL from the DVD and are not remaster to 1080p.

So to answer your question, YES any region free (all region) Blu-ray disc from anywhere else in the world will play in Europe. The only thing that might not play are special features which were still in NTSC. But the movie will be AOK!!!
This is not 100% accurate because if you buy a BR disc that has at its start trailers in PAL, or the menu in PAL, you won't be able to view the disc at all no matter if it's region free.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos2992 View Post
This is not 100% accurate because if you buy a BR disc that has at its start trailers in PAL, or the menu in PAL, you won't be able to view the disc at all no matter if it's region free.
That's true in NTSC land, but the OP is in Europe. There's no problem playing any SD material in Europe as virtually all European TVs these days have support for both PAL and NTSC and virtually all half-decent European BD players have native support for both PAL and NTSC as well.
Panasonic Blu-ray players BDT170, BD75 (Multi-region US model), Denon X4100W receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 Plasma TV, 5.0 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds) (subwoofer to be added shortly)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos2992 View Post
This is not true if you have a way of watching the raw m2ts files on your PC as I do. Most of the later editions of PowerDVD can do this. I can play the raw movie file in which I lose subtitles, but everything else is skipped because the trailers, warnings, etc. are encoded as different files. I have PowerDVD 9 and 10 by the way. Region coding is also bypassed with this process.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:53 AM   #10
Expert Member

Aug 2009

There are also a handful of Blu-ray that use 1080i50Hz - sometimes called "1080p 25fps" on the package. They're basically 1080p content at PAL framerates, and can't be viewed on US TVs without a framerate converter built into the player. Either it'll send out a signal your display can't show properly, or it'll just default to a black screen.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #11
Expert Member

May 2010
Cologne, Germany

Quote:
So I take it that buying a NTSC DVD - even if it is region free - will not work on my PAL European TV then ?
No.
It can happen, but I did import almost all my DVDs back in the day from the US to Germany and my old SD TV played all of them just fine.
I made my DVDPlayer region free. DVDPlayers around the world played PAL AND NTSC.

Most European SD-TVs for the last 15 years can display NTSC.
"...wenn ich, Aguirre, will, dass die Vögel tot von den Bäumen fallen, dann fallen die Vögel tot von den Bäumen herunter.
Ich bin der Zorn Gottes, die Erde über die ich gehe sieht mich und bebt!"
Old 12-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #12

Nov 2011

Thank you veryone for your feedbacks
Old 09-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #13

Feb 2015
New England

Not to beat a dead horse but I'd like another opinion on the whole frame rate issue between 25fps and 24fps.

If I have a sony all region Blu Ray player that can handle PAL stuff like menues and special features of , lets say, The Burbs';

will the actual feature film still run at 24fps?

will the special feature PAL (if ported from PAL source) run at 25fps or upconvert to 30fps.

I live in America so I am guessing my HDTV is NTSC, not sure if it is or if that is even possible or relevant.

I'm just balls confused over this.

I want to buy the Burbs' as well as a plethora of other Arrow, etc releases but need to know that ;
\
A) I can watch the film itself at 24fps

and

B) the special features, even if at a funky frame rate, will still be viewable on my Sony All Region Blu Ray Player.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
WI, USA

I don't think any Arrow release has any PAL or 1080i/50hz content. I have never had a problem viewing any on my regular panasonic player, special features included.
Thanks given by:
morymb (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2010
Wales

Apart from the usual BBC 50hz BDs most of my UK BDs only feature 24hz and 60hz material. A lot of menus run at 24hz. There isn't a huge amount of 50hz material on UK Blu-rays.

The only things that are 50hz are usually natively shot (Doctor Who for example) that way or the occasionally European master, so it shouldn't be an issue and if your player can handle it I wouldn't worry about it. If the video for the feature is 24hz then it will run that way unless your player's settings contradict that.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Thanks given by:
morymb (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #16

Feb 2015
New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Apart from the usual BBC 50hz BDs most of my UK BDs only feature 24hz and 60hz material. A lot of menus run at 24hz. There isn't a huge amount of 50hz material on UK Blu-rays.

The only things that are 50hz are usually natively shot (Doctor Who for example) that way or the occasionally European master, so it shouldn't be an issue and if your player can handle it I wouldn't worry about it. If the video for the feature is 24hz then it will run that way unless your player's settings contradict that.

Oh OK, great! I think I just need to do some isolated research on one term at a time concerning 24hz, 50hz, PAL, NTSC and figure out the relationship to what it all means in the grand scheme so I don't over obsess lol!

Essentially, I don't want any bullsh..it.. when I watch my Blu Rays from Europe. I want 24 frames per second, full HD, no interlacing deinterlacing drama..right down to the special feature material, even if in 50hz or 25 i or 30 fps 60hz, holy hell, I just want to be sure the Sony all region player will sort that all out so I'm not becoming so much of an engineer that I can't put my hand down my pants and watch Mona Lisa or Big Trouble in Little China.

Thanks again!
Old 09-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #17
Power Member

Apr 2015
The Netherlands
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by morymb View Post
Oh OK, great! I think I just need to do some isolated research on one term at a time concerning 24hz, 50hz, PAL, NTSC and figure out the relationship to what it all means in the grand scheme so I don't over obsess lol!

Essentially, I don't want any bullsh..it.. when I watch my Blu Rays from Europe. I want 24 frames per second, full HD, no interlacing deinterlacing drama..right down to the special feature material, even if in 50hz or 25 i or 30 fps 60hz, holy hell, I just want to be sure the Sony all region player will sort that all out so I'm not becoming so much of an engineer that I can't put my hand down my pants and watch Mona Lisa or Big Trouble in Little China.

Thanks again!
Don't do it man! There's a world of difference between PAL and NTSC. Here's a screen cap of Gone Girl in both PAL 24hz and NTSC 25hz:

Gone Girl NTSC
Gone Girl PAL
Old 09-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:

Thanks again!
Just do a bit of homework for a title if you're unsure and ask in the UK section, most of the Arrow reviews will say that they don't feature any 50hz material (Pro-B always checks) and if it's a feature chances are you can avoid a 1080i 50hz release completely and buy elsewhere, but 50hz movies are pretty uncommon these days, it's just the odd TV title that gets through and a few older European masters from the Continent, but most of those movies are available in 24hz elsewhere. But Arrow titles are usually a sure thing when it comes to 24hz movies.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Thanks given by:
morymb (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 12:31 AM   #19
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Thanks man. There are so many hz's I'm hearing about.
60hz
120hz
25hz
24hz

are those refresh rates?

I could google, but that's a one-sided conversation, so mayeb a quick education on whzat the fhzuck an hz really ihz?
Yes, they correspond with frames per second (fps). This is why it's somewhat pointless to watch a BD on a 60hz monitor or display as films are encoded at 24 fps. 60 is not divisible by 24 so you end up with a slight flicker at times. My oldest TV is a 60hz Sanyo and it has awesome PQ, but there are times when I notice the flickering. Of course at this point virtually all displays sold since about 2010 are 120hz or higher, but I still see plenty of 60hz floating around that were sold from about 2005-2010.
Thanks given by:
morymb (09-11-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America