Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$92.19
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
A Certain Magical Index II: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$43.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Enlightened: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Congress (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$25.87
Gamera HD Bundle Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #1

Nov 2011
Question Blu-ray NTSC vs. PAL - any difference in picture quality ?

I know that there are different regions when it comes to Blu-ray, but I have also seen mentioned (also on DVD) that there are listings that also has the NTSC and PAL (TV systems) included which I do not fully understand the use of. From what I know it what differ between video tapes (back in the old days): NTSC system on US and Northern TVs and video players, and PAL system over here in Europe.

Does the Blu-ray (and DVD) really have a locking to the two TV systems - or will a region free (all region) Blu-ray disc that has a NTSC format work on a PAL TV over here in Europe ?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phesstve View Post
I know that there are different regions when it comes to Blu-ray, but I have also seen mentioned (also on DVD) that there are listings that also has the NTSC and PAL (TV systems) included which I do not fully understand the use of. From what I know it what differ between video tapes (back in the old days): NTSC system on US and Northern TVs and video players, and PAL system over here in Europe.

Does the Blu-ray (and DVD) really have a locking to the two TV systems - or will a region free (all region) Blu-ray disc that has a NTSC format work on a PAL TV over here in Europe ?
Region coding is still in effect, but if the movie is region free your blu-ray will play on any blu-ray player across the globe. As they are all 1080p standard. So no NTSC(480i) or PAL(576i) anymore, like DVD and VHS before it. However you might not be able to view some special features which are just direct ports of NTSC/PAL from the DVD and are not remaster to 1080p.

So to answer your question, YES any region free (all region) Blu-ray disc from anywhere else in the world will play in Europe. The only thing that might not play are special features which were still in NTSC. But the movie will be AOK!!!
TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
Power Protection: APC Smart-UPS 1500
Universal Remote: URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ MasterControl RF20 and PowerBlaster
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD

Last edited by tilallr1; 12-21-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #3

Nov 2011

Tilallr1, thank you very much for taking time explaining and giving me an answer about the Blu-ray. So I take it that buying a NTSC DVD - even if it is region free - will not work on my PAL European TV then ?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

NTSC/PAL standards don't apply to HD material but may still apply to SD content on BDs (extras, opening logos or trailers, warnings, etc).

I think it's a rule of thumb that if it's region free, it'll play in Europe. European BD players will play NTSC content. Not the case in the US with PAL though.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

Nov 2011

Thank you Rizor
Old 12-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->265

Quote:
Thank you Rizor
There are a number of region B titles that are region free, but have PAL content.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #7

Oct 2008
Lanus, Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post
Region coding is still in effect, but if the movie is region free your blu-ray will play on any blu-ray player across the globe. As they are all 1080p standard. So no NTSC(480i) or PAL(576i) anymore, like DVD and VHS before it. However you might not be able to view some special features which are just direct ports of NTSC/PAL from the DVD and are not remaster to 1080p.

So to answer your question, YES any region free (all region) Blu-ray disc from anywhere else in the world will play in Europe. The only thing that might not play are special features which were still in NTSC. But the movie will be AOK!!!
This is not 100% accurate because if you buy a BR disc that has at its start trailers in PAL, or the menu in PAL, you won't be able to view the disc at all no matter if it's region free.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
Special Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos2992 View Post
This is not 100% accurate because if you buy a BR disc that has at its start trailers in PAL, or the menu in PAL, you won't be able to view the disc at all no matter if it's region free.
That's true in NTSC land, but the OP is in Europe. There's no problem playing any SD material in Europe as virtually all European TVs these days have support for both PAL and NTSC and virtually all half-decent European BD players have native support for both PAL and NTSC as well.
Panasonic Blu-ray players BD65 (UK model), BD75 (Multi-region US model), Panasonic EX77 recorder, Denon 3808 receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 TV, 5.1 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds), SVS SB12-Plus (sub)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos2992 View Post
This is not true if you have a way of watching the raw m2ts files on your PC as I do. Most of the later editions of PowerDVD can do this. I can play the raw movie file in which I lose subtitles, but everything else is skipped because the trailers, warnings, etc. are encoded as different files. I have PowerDVD 9 and 10 by the way. Region coding is also bypassed with this process.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:53 AM   #10
Expert Member

Aug 2009

There are also a handful of Blu-ray that use 1080i50Hz - sometimes called "1080p 25fps" on the package. They're basically 1080p content at PAL framerates, and can't be viewed on US TVs without a framerate converter built into the player. Either it'll send out a signal your display can't show properly, or it'll just default to a black screen.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #11
Expert Member

May 2010
Cologne, Germany

Quote:
So I take it that buying a NTSC DVD - even if it is region free - will not work on my PAL European TV then ?
No.
It can happen, but I did import almost all my DVDs back in the day from the US to Germany and my old SD TV played all of them just fine.
I made my DVDPlayer region free. DVDPlayers around the world played PAL AND NTSC.

Most European SD-TVs for the last 15 years can display NTSC.
"...wenn ich, Aguirre, will, dass die Vögel tot von den Bäumen fallen, dann fallen die Vögel tot von den Bäumen herunter.
Ich bin der Zorn Gottes, die Erde über die ich gehe sieht mich und bebt!"
Old 12-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #12

Nov 2011

Thank you veryone for your feedbacks
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America