Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$91.03
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
I KEEL YOU I KEEL YOU is offline
Power Member
 
I KEEL YOU's Avatar
 
May 2011
208
36
Default Why exactly do Blu-ray releases of mega classic movies take so long to release?

Can someone explain this to me? Like for example why Star Wars was released 5 years after the birth of Blu Ray, why Finding Nemo doesn't have a release date and why so many obvious monster classics aren't released yet. What exactly is the motive of film studios, from a business perspective?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
wormraper wormraper is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona
2703
309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
Can someone explain this to me? Like for example why Star Wars was released 5 years after the birth of Blu Ray, why Finding Nemo doesn't have a release date and why so many obvious monster classics aren't released yet. What exactly is their motive, from a business perspective?
simple, wait till you have a large established release base. most of a movies profit when it is released is during the first few weeks. if the consumer base is too small they don't maximize their profits. the studios have to run a fine line between releasing just enough to keep us wanting more and not too much so that they lose all their potential profits from waiting
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
threefiftyrocket threefiftyrocket is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
threefiftyrocket's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
Carmel, IN
478
1
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
Can someone explain this to me? Like for example why Star Wars was released 5 years after the birth of Blu Ray, why Finding Nemo doesn't have a release date and why so many obvious monster classics aren't released yet. What exactly is the motive of film studios, from a business perspective?
1) Star Wars was intentionally held back by Lucas until BD had a large enough market that he could line his pockets again.

2) A lot of older releases cost a lot... A LOT to remaster at the level they deserve to look good on BD. If you don't spend money then you get crap like the first releases of Gangs of New York or Gladiator, or heaven forbid Patton.
“Reach out your hands. Out for the ones who, aid when the going gets rough. Until the end. These are the ones who, help when the times get tough. And times will get tough. Get up again.” -Flaw-
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
in2video2 in2video2 is offline
Expert Member
 
in2video2's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
San Antonio Texas
636
Default

Good question. Sometimes it baffles us as Blu-Ray supporters why the long wait. Sometimes it comes down to what shape the original movie is in - does it need extensive restoration work and the relevant costs involved, or it may have a lot to do with marketing strategies by the studio which controls its distribution rights. Usually you may notice that if a classic movie is scheduled to be released with a remake a lot of times the original movie will be short-listed for a Blu-Ray release as a marketing tie-in. What we most enjoy are the efforts by studios which respect the original source material and go the extra mile to ensure a quality restoration is released. In most cases these classic catalogue releases only get one chance to be restored in preparation for High Definition for future HDTV broadcasting and Blu-Ray. Technology is improving digitally and the results look and sound fantastic for catalogue releases to Blu-Ray... most of the time making them look as fresh as contemporary movies. Only during 2011 have catalogue Blu-Ray releases become a popular choice for customers new to Blu-Ray which has increased the potential customer base for Blu-Ray. When Star Wars was released most people accepted the concept that Blu-Ray has come of age. Be patient. If we keep supporting the movie studios by purchasing their classic movies when brought to Blu-Ray then the movie studios will concentrate their efforts more into investing in their enormous legacy of films we all want to see preserved for all time. Blu-Ray is helping to achieve this.

Consider Lawrence of Arabia. Quality is of utmost importance. It takes time to prepare the very best transfer for Blu-Ray. FOX's The Sound of Music set the bar VERY high and the same attention to detail was applied. Taking a long time to reach Blu-Ray usually means a good thing for Blu-Ray... within reason, of course.

Last edited by in2video2; 12-22-2011 at 01:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
blonde_devil blonde_devil is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Apr 2011
Default

all depends on who owns the film and if they want to do it. With Star Wars, I read somewhere that Lucas got burnt once with releasing the movies on a format that died out or something like that so he waits now until the format is fairly well accepted before he does anything. of course, this builds anticipation and they can charge a little extra too when it comes out. but for a lot, i am not sure. could be ownership issues, they may have done a dvd release not that long ago and are holding off on bluray, who knows. but chances are if it was a classic movie, it will hit bluray sooner or later. only question is will it be some collectors edition or some cheap quality release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->265
39
1664
127
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_devil View Post
all depends on who owns the film and if they want to do it. With Star Wars, I read somewhere that Lucas got burnt once with releasing the movies on a format that died out or something like that so he waits now until the format is fairly well accepted before he does anything. of course, this builds anticipation and they can charge a little extra too when it comes out. but for a lot, i am not sure. could be ownership issues, they may have done a dvd release not that long ago and are holding off on bluray, who knows. but chances are if it was a classic movie, it will hit bluray sooner or later. only question is will it be some collectors edition or some cheap quality release.
Yeah, this is part of the equation as well. Also, capital letters are your friend.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
AgentOrange AgentOrange is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2011
863
34
2
9
Default

It pretty much boils down to marketing reasons.

I'm sure there's some legitimate "allocation of resources" questions, I mean they can't have all titles full restored and ready to release on blu-ray right away (ala Lawrence of Arabia's 8K scan probably legitimately has taken time). To some extent the same thing applies to something like Indiana Jones. However even if assuming everything could have been "ready" by now for HD release in terms of pure workflow, I'm sure the bulk of the reasoning still relates to them wanting to "space out" their own releases for marketing purposes. If everything gets released in too close of a release window the studios would have to worry about more titles getting "lost in the shuffle" - which for them means lost revenue on first week sales.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
KubrickFan KubrickFan is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
KubrickFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
264
Default

There's also the fact that a lot of older titles don't sell as well as newer titles. So the studios want to spread out the ones that are guaranteed to make a lot of money, instead of bringing everything out all at once.
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
Michael Bay Fan Michael Bay Fan is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Michael Bay Fan's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
Under your bed
103
370
212
Default

I'm still waiting for Bad Boys II yet.
My Blu rays for sale Thread I forgive. But I never forget.
The Biggest Jennifer Lawrence fan on here. Favorite Movie Of the Year So Far X-Men: Days Of Future Past

I've finished a third draft of my latest script. Which is a comedy called "Life As Liz" with Jen being in mind written as the lead. It's my 12th script.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Falconer Falconer is offline
Special Member
 
Falconer's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Kingston, PA
16
207
Default

Not to mention that it takes a lot of man hours to do quality control on these old releases while still producing the new films. If any problem occurs, that is even more time needed to fix the problem, and the QC process goes back a step.
TV: Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT50 3D Plasma
Blu-Ray Player: 160GB Sony Playstation 3 Slim
Surround Sound: Onkyo HT-S5500 7.1
SHOPKICK Referral Code: jackfruit8887
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
Clippins Clippins is offline
Senior Member
 
Clippins's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Arizona
250
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bay Fan View Post
I'm still waiting for Bad Boys II yet.
Haha! I'm waiting on the Blade Trilogy to get a release here in the US. Gotta believe Blade would be perfect on Bluray.
HDTV: Vizio E-Series 70" Razor LED Smart TV -- E701I-A3
Receiver: Onkyo HT-RC180
Speakers: Energy CF-70 Fronts, Energy CC10 Center, Energy CR10 Rears
Subwoofer: HSU VTF-15H
BD Player/Gaming: 250GB PS3 Slim
Gaming: 250GB Xbox 360 Slim
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
Michael Bay Fan Michael Bay Fan is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Michael Bay Fan's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
Under your bed
103
370
212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippins View Post
Haha! I'm waiting on the Blade Trilogy to get a release here in the US. Gotta believe Blade would be perfect on Bluray.
Yeah, its weird how there are so many popular movies that aren't on blu ray yet. But still we have all the Sci-Fi movies of the week on Blu Ray. Go Figure right?
My Blu rays for sale Thread I forgive. But I never forget.
The Biggest Jennifer Lawrence fan on here. Favorite Movie Of the Year So Far X-Men: Days Of Future Past

I've finished a third draft of my latest script. Which is a comedy called "Life As Liz" with Jen being in mind written as the lead. It's my 12th script.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:51 AM   #13
kemcha kemcha is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
kemcha's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Michigan, USA
71
56
18
27
Default

*sighs *

This debate again?

The reason that george Lucas held back Star Wars is the same reason why franchise movie series are always held back, to generate buzz and demand for its eventual release. When DVD was introduced, George Lucas held back the release for Star Wars until such demand was at a high fevered pitch that Lucas ended up making millions, possibly billions of dollars in additional profits.

Star Wars also went through several DVD releases throughout the DVD format. Lucas is a brilliant genius and he realizes that fans will buy multiple releases of the Star Wars filsm, no matter how many times it's released to Blu-ray. I suspect that we'll see the Blu-ray retired around March or April and simply rescheduled for a new release around September or October of 2012 with possibly the addition of the theatrical versions of the movie to Blu-ray. Lucas knows that there is a high demand for the theatrical versions of the original trilogy on Blu-ray and you can bet he'll milk a new release for all its worth.

With blockbuster franchises like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Back to the Future and so forth, there is already a built in core audience who will be rabid for their Blu-ray releases and they are often held back to generate higher demand when they are eventually released. This is why catalog releases of stand alone films are always delayed because the studios don't want to waste time on older films. It's also why there are literally thousands of movies that have never been released to DVD and why that problem will exist with the Blu-ray format as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #14
KaineKinetic KaineKinetic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
KaineKinetic's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Suffolk County, NY
533
37
9
Send a message via Skype™ to KaineKinetic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefiftyrocket View Post
1) Star Wars was intentionally held back by Lucas until BD had a large enough market that he could line his pockets again.

2) A lot of older releases cost a lot... A LOT to remaster at the level they deserve to look good on BD. If you don't spend money then you get crap like the first releases of Gangs of New York or Gladiator, or heaven forbid Patton.
You forgot: Star Wars, Jurassic Park
My 3DS nickname: Kaine
My 3DS friend code: 2492-4192-0317
WiiU NNID: Kaine_Morrison
XboX Live GamerTag: KaineKinetic
My Selling Page UPDATED 9/17-14
My Selling Page UPDATED 9/17-14
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #15
retablo retablo is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2007
Hollywood
1307
1
Default

Remember, too, something no one has mentioned: the rights to release on blu-ray might need to be re-negotiated. When movie contracts were made for films pre-VHS, there were no home video rights included. When VHS became prominent, new deals had to be written (for actors, etc, in regards to percentage points) for a new medium. Same when laserdisc came along, and presumable DVD. I don't know all the logistics, but many times, with each new format, new contracts have to be negotiated with all parties who own percentages of the films. This was the brunt of the writers strike a few years ago - they were fighting for their percentage when it came to Internet distribution. So in at least SOME cases, this could very well be the holdup.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #16
retablo retablo is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2007
Hollywood
1307
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
*sighs *

This debate again?

The reason that george Lucas held back Star Wars is the same reason why franchise movie series are always held back, to generate buzz and demand for its eventual release. When DVD was introduced, George Lucas held back the release for Star Wars until such demand was at a high fevered pitch that Lucas ended up making millions, possibly billions of dollars in additional profits.

Star Wars also went through several DVD releases throughout the DVD format. Lucas is a brilliant genius and he realizes that fans will buy multiple releases of the Star Wars filsm, no matter how many times it's released to Blu-ray. I suspect that we'll see the Blu-ray retired around March or April and simply rescheduled for a new release around September or October of 2012 with possibly the addition of the theatrical versions of the movie to Blu-ray. Lucas knows that there is a high demand for the theatrical versions of the original trilogy on Blu-ray and you can bet he'll milk a new release for all its worth.

With blockbuster franchises like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Back to the Future and so forth, there is already a built in core audience who will be rabid for their Blu-ray releases and they are often held back to generate higher demand when they are eventually released. This is why catalog releases of stand alone films are always delayed because the studios don't want to waste time on older films. It's also why there are literally thousands of movies that have never been released to DVD and why that problem will exist with the Blu-ray format as well.
Which makes little sense, since whoever wanted to buy Star Wars would've bought it years earlier were it released then. Holding something back doesn't create anticipation - it just causes people to ask where it is. How exactly will the demand change by holding a title back? If you have 1 million people who want a blu-ray in 2011, you'll still have 1 million people who want it when it's finally released in 2013.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #17
ry35an ry35an is offline
Expert Member
 
ry35an's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
171
Default

"Lucas is a brilliant genius and he realizes that fans will buy multiple releases of the Star Wars filsm"

On brother, sorry to burst your man love for Lucas, but, it doesn't take a "brilliant genius" to know that people buy multiple copies of the same movie.

All he would have to do is look at some pf the people on this forum.
Multiple copies of the same movie because of different packaging, people who own 500+ movies and let's not even attempt to understand the whole slipcover obsession.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #18
kemcha kemcha is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
kemcha's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Michigan, USA
71
56
18
27
Default

It all comes down just how much demand there is for a movie or a movie franchise. Star Wars has one of the biggest cult foillowings ever and George Lucas may not be the brightest director ever ... and I don't harbor no good or bad ill for the man ... but the one thing he knows how to do very well, is to market the Star Wars films.

Say what you want about how many times he has released the Star Wars to home video, and criticize him all you want (and I would agree with you) but the man is a marketing genius. The Star Wars films has always been highly marketable to the fans because they will continue to purchase them.

Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones ... they're all hot home video properties and fans will continue to purchase every release they make.

The thing is that if a studio has one blockbuster film along with nine mediocre films that might sell over the long run, the studio is going to release that one film because they stand to sell more in short term. When you have a film like Mortal Kombat compared to films like James Bond and Harry Potter, there is no contest as to which the studio would release first (and yes I know the movies are from different studios, I'm just illustrating a point).

Studios wilol eventually get around to releasing older titles, they just place a priority on movies that they know will be quick sellers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
toddly6666 toddly6666 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
toddly6666's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Hong Kong
20
892
57
224
59
Default

It financially benefits companies to release crap movies every week on bluray and release a good movie once a month on bluray.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #20
RBBrittain RBBrittain is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
RBBrittain's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR
742
86
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
Remember, too, something no one has mentioned: the rights to release on blu-ray might need to be re-negotiated. When movie contracts were made for films pre-VHS, there were no home video rights included. When VHS became prominent, new deals had to be written (for actors, etc, in regards to percentage points) for a new medium. Same when laserdisc came along, and presumable DVD. I don't know all the logistics, but many times, with each new format, new contracts have to be negotiated with all parties who own percentages of the films. This was the brunt of the writers strike a few years ago - they were fighting for their percentage when it came to Internet distribution. So in at least SOME cases, this could very well be the holdup.
May have been true for the dawn of VHS, DVD and even Internet distribution, but *not* BD. Though to most of us here "DVD" doesn't include BD, industry contracts that say "DVD" are usually interpreted to include BD. Very few films have hit BD from a different distributor than the DVD distributor; most of the exceptions involved changes to the DVD rights as well. For example, though WB handled My Fair Lady for most of its life on DVD, the DVD rights reverted to CBS and its present video partner Paramount before they issued the BD; that was different than VHS-to-DVD, as its VHS rights went from Fox to Paramount about the same time WB launched it on DVD.

The more likely scenario for classic rights is Rebecca, which despite its being owned by Disney (ABC bought it from David O. Selznick's estate long ago) was a vagabond on DVD--first Criterion, then Anchor Bay, and most recently MGM (released with other Hitchcock films)--but MGM is holding onto it on BD for the upgrade of its Hitchcock bundle. (Strangely, Disney has never been the U.S. home-video distributor of the only non-Miramax Best Picture winner it has ever owned--which makes its sale of Miramax and its four Best Pictures even more ironic. )
BD players: PS3 Slim 250GB; Sherwood BDP-5004 (region-free); HP P7-1010 (w/ LG WH12LS38K, AMD HD 6570, Hanns-G HL227, Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers, TMT 6, PDVD 11)
A/V hardware: Vizio E3D320VX 3DTV; Sony HT-SS380; Vizio Co-Star (Google TV); Radiient HDMI switch; Nook HD; Galaxy Tab 3 Lite; Moto G; iPhone 3GS
-----------------
Avatar: Vivien Leigh's Gone with the Wind Oscar, my own photo taken in 2011 at Little Rock's Historic Arkansas Museum.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 AM.