Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
7 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
4 hrs ago
Free Birds (Blu-ray)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest
Default The Rum Diary - February 14th 2012

The Rum Diary Blu-ray

The Rum Diary Blu-ray Review

Amazon notified me this morning of this release, I have never seen this movie but being that I am a huge fan of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Hunter S. Thompson & Johnny Depp) I will buy this blind and I expect that I will enjoy it. I heard that Johnny found this book on one of his visits to Hunter's home in Woody Creek, Colorado (near Aspen, CO) ...they were good friends.
bentvalve's Blu-rays: 758 (collection order; Music>Musicals>Documentaries>TV shows>Criterions>Movies)

Last edited by Deciazulado; 01-25-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Power Member

Feb 2007
Somewhere between here and there
Send a message via AIM to Valore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentvalve View Post

The Rum Diary Blu-ray

Amazon notified me this morning of this release, I have never seen this movie but being that I am a huge fan of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Hunter S. Thompson & Johnny Depp) I will buy this blind and I expect that I will enjoy it. I heard that Johnny found this book on one of his visits to Hunter's home in Woody Creek, Colorado (near Aspen, CO) ...they were good friends.
Have not seen this one either however, I am like you, big fan of FaLiLV as well as Hunter S Thompson. Will most likely be a day 1 blind buy for me.
If you love your country...you're gonna have to love moonshine.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007

This will be a day 1 blind buy as I it looked good but lasted roughly 1.5 weeks in my local theater and I never got there to see it. Plus I am a fan of Johnny Depp and amber Heard as well as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas so I should like this
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Banned

Dec 2011
LV-426

Will definitely be picking this up. What is with that awful cover though? Hopefully they change it.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Orange County, CA

Saw it in theaters, loved it. Can't wait to own it.
"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney

Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell/Instagram: pj_campbell/Podcast: Reel Film Chatter
Old 12-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Detroit, MI

Blind buy for sure, here. Looked awesome but theater prices are too expensive for a movie that isn't like Star Wars. Day one right here
Hate Kills Us All
Old 12-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Banned

Dec 2011
LV-426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts Ghost View Post
Saw it in theaters, loved it. Can't wait to own it.
Is it like Fear and Loathing at all?
Old 12-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest
Question

Are there any drugs at all in Rum Diary, especially any of that rotten stuff known as ether?
I tried to see this one but it was only in the theater near me for like 2 weeks....I went to check the theater times at Fandango one day and Rum Diary was gone. And BTW the last time I tried to see a movie in a theater was when I saw '300' in 2006, so Rum Diary definitely has my attention, I am very much looking forward to seeing this one.
bentvalve's Blu-rays: 758 (collection order; Music>Musicals>Documentaries>TV shows>Criterions>Movies)
Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Space Jockey View Post
It's a precursor to Fear and Loathing, but it's a bit different. Paul Kemp, the main character who is Thompson, wasn't into drugs yet. So the trouble they get into is a bit different, but it's still a lot of fun. And...

Quote:
Are there any drugs at all in Rum Diary, especially any of that rotten stuff known as ether?
I tried to see this one but it was only in the theater near me for like 2 weeks....I went to check the theater times at Fandango one day and Rum Diary was gone. And BTW the last time I tried to see a movie in a theater was when I saw '300' in 2006, so Rum Diary definitely has my attention, I am very much looking forward to seeing this one.
Yes, there is drug use. You begin to see what Kemp becomes in Fear and Loathing towards the end of the film.
"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney

Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell/Instagram: pj_campbell/Podcast: Reel Film Chatter
Old 12-23-2011, 02:55 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts Ghost View Post
It's a precursor to Fear and Loathing, but it's a bit different. Paul Kemp, the main character who is Thompson, wasn't into drugs yet. So the trouble they get into is a bit different, but it's still a lot of fun. And...

Yes, there is drug use. You begin to see what Kemp becomes in Fear and Loathing towards the end of the film.
Precursor? What Kemp becomes? I do not remember a Kemp in F&LinLV. I always though Fear and Loathing was basically a mostly a true/autobiographical story that Hunter S. Thompson himself experienced. Was the book Rum Diary also autobiographical? thanks
Old 12-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #11
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Space Jockey View Post
In base sensibility and the theme of searching for the 'American Dream', yes they're alike. It has its Thompson-esque qualities.

Quote:
Precursor? What Kemp becomes? I do not remember a Kemp in F&LinLV. I always though Fear and Loathing was basically a mostly a true/autobiographical story that Hunter S. Thompson himself experienced. Was the book Rum Diary also autobiographical? thanks
No, Kemp is not in Fear and Loathing...but since both Kemp and Duke are rough-to-acute autobiographical sketches of Thompson himself it is safe to assume a congruence in character; that is, Kemp = Duke. And with how The Rum Diary progresses you can see where maybe the thought of it being a filmic prequel to Gilliam's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas could have guided some of the production/script decisions, particularly in the growing drug use and light surrealism of its last act.

You're right that Fear and Loathing was 'roughly autobiographical' and The Rum Diary was a 'novel', but in this case I believe it's just a matter of loose syntax: where Fear took real events and fictionalized it to a degree as a philosophical exercise - to note quickly - Rum is a fictional novelization based on Thompson's time in Puerto Rico in the '50s. He 'stars' in both novels.

And you all are right. That is an absolute hideous cover. I've just made mention of this in the Drive thread: why on earth is it so hard to design a decent blu-ray cover?

Last edited by Cinemach; 12-23-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:51 AM   #12
Banned

Aug 2011

I love Amber Heard. IDK about this movie though? Is it worth a watch? That artwork is horrible.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest

The cover does not look THAT bad to me, isn't it pretty close one of the movie posters?

Last edited by bentvalve; 12-23-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest

"ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN MODERATION" << I love that line!
Old 12-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemach View Post
In base sensibility and the theme of searching for the 'American Dream', yes they're alike. It has its Thompson-esque qualities.

No, Kemp is not in Fear and Loathing...but since both Kemp and Duke are rough-to-acute autobiographical sketches of Thompson himself it is safe to assume a congruence in character; that is, Kemp = Duke. And with how The Rum Diary progresses you can see where maybe the thought of it being a filmic prequel to Gilliam's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas could have guided some of the production/script decisions, particularly in the growing drug use and light surrealism of its last act.

You're right that Fear and Loathing was 'roughly autobiographical' and The Rum Diary was a 'novel', but in this case I believe it's just a matter of loose syntax: where Fear took real events and fictionalized it to a degree as a philosophical exercise - to note quickly - Rum is a fictional novelization based on Thompson's time in Puerto Rico in the '50s. He 'stars' in both novels.
I just wanted to say thank you for posting, I can't wait to see this.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Letterboxd

Day 1 buy for me.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest

Guys, be sure and tell Amazon that Walmart.com is selling The Rum Diary for $19.96, LINK.

Hopefully the price falls below $18 or so before release day.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest

I just now pre-ordered my copy and I am confident the price will go down some by release day, I am pretty excited to see this movie.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest

To those who have seen this, do you think this was just a not very good movie or for some reason there just was not a lot of interest in it?

I almost want to cancel my pre-order after seeing this.VV
Old 12-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest
Default Then again, here are the numbers for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas....

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America