Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Chinatown (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Independence Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.49
The Divergent Series: Allegiant (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Dirty Grandpa (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Divergent Series: Allegiant 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.05
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$47.99
Sherlock: The Abominable Bride (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Princess Mononoke (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-11-2015, 03:18 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012
Hawaii
Default Ghost Story 1981 (Scream Factory)

Street date - 11/24

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/fi...or/ghost-story

Synopsis

The time has come to tell the tale.

Four of Hollywood’s elder statesmen- Fred Astaire, Melvyn Douglas, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., and John Houseman- join forces against a paranormal nemesis in Ghost Story, based on the terrifying novel by best-selling author Peter Straub.

In a peaceful New England town, the four lifelong friends who make up the Chowder Society come together each week to regale each other with tales of terror. But when one of the elderly gentlemen experiences a family tragedy, it becomes apparent that a buried secret from their youth has arisen to remind them of the sins of their past. Soon, they will learn they have never been forgiven…and a supernatural vengeance awaits them all. Craig Wasson, Patricia Neal, and Alice Krige also star in this chilling and atmospheric telling of one of horror’s greatest stories.

Last edited by Oscar Rothman; 08-18-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Thanks given by:
movieben1138 (07-12-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 03:42 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Excited for this release, I never picked up the DVD years ago. The BLU could be a good time to finally see the movie. can't be any worse than all the other crap horror movies I've bought. :-)
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Denon X7200WA, Rotel-1582 mkll
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15, EM-R Oppo BDP-103 Region Free, Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Old 07-11-2015, 03:46 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

always liked this one... starts out strong, slows down in the middle, but ends strong. While not a great movie by any means, the good stuff is memorable and there's a great nostalgia factor for me from seeing it in the theater as a teen-ager!
Old 07-11-2015, 03:50 AM   #4
Power Member

Sep 2009

Haven't seen this one but will likely pick up if the price is right just because of the other awesome announcements made today!
Old 07-11-2015, 03:50 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
WI, USA

It has very good and gruesome makeup effects, and Alice Krige is pretty good in it, it's not really anything too special. Still, probably the most exciting thing they announced tonight.
Thanks given by:
AKORIS (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 03:52 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2011

Great movie. One of my favorite ghost tales. Wonderful cast too. Alice Krige is beautiful but haunting in this film.

Coming form Shout Factory, hopefully we'll get some nice extras. Sadly due to the cast I wonder how many interviews they could actually do now. Unfortunately since it's Shout Factory I'll just expect the usual compression issues. Hopefully this isn't given any "face-lift" or upgrade. This film should most certainly have grain and I'm really hoping they don't decide to tint the whole film blue like they tend to do these days with ghost stories.
Thanks given by:
Mystic (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 04:44 AM   #7
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Buffalo, NY

HELL TO THE F-ING YES! Loved this movie since seeing it aired on HBO in the early 80's, I am LOVING these announcements from Shout, and my wallet is crying at the same time......
Old 07-11-2015, 04:50 AM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKORIS View Post
always liked this one... starts out strong, slows down in the middle, but ends strong. While not a great movie by any means, the good stuff is memorable and there's a great nostalgia factor for me from seeing it in the theater as a teen-ager!
I'm the same way. I saw it when I was 12 or 13 -- something like that -- in the theater and absolutely loved it. So yeah, there's definitely a strong nostalgia factor.
Best movies last 10 years: Carol, Birdman, Her, The Master, Melancholia, The Social Network, Inglorious Basterds, The Dark Knight, Assassination of Jesse James, The Prestige
Thanks given by:
AKORIS (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 04:57 AM   #9
Special Member

May 2015

Best announcement made.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:16 AM   #10
Banned

Sep 2007

Great film with some Hollywood royalty in the cast...Of course I'm buying this one! Now if only they would announce "The Changeling" with George C Scott.
Thanks given by:
bipbop13 (07-13-2015), donidarko (07-11-2015), FelixFlankin (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #11
Special Member

May 2011
Boulder City, Nevada

Awesome! i dig this movie and i remembered seeing it on TV as a kid in the mid 80s and thought it was creepy.

One of my most requested SF titles.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:42 AM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH View Post
Great film with some Hollywood royalty in the cast...Of course I'm buying this one! Now if only they would announce "The Changeling" with George C Scott.
Oh man. My best friend and I went and saw that one night. We were terrified the whole night. I'm not even sure we got any sleep!
Best movies last 10 years: Carol, Birdman, Her, The Master, Melancholia, The Social Network, Inglorious Basterds, The Dark Knight, Assassination of Jesse James, The Prestige
Old 07-11-2015, 06:08 AM   #13
Banned

Apr 2014

Ghost Story special edition with exclusive compression issues.
Thanks given by:
Justtoview (07-13-2015), Mystic (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #14
Expert Member

Sep 2012
The British Empire

Great news, An overlooked movie in need of a special edition for years finally gets one. Hope they can get the director involved and maybe source a work print of all the deleted scenes and Dick Smith make up/fxs tests.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2010

I really liked this film but I'm a bit concerned about quality.
I'll see reviews first.

edit: Oops! It seems I mixed it up with The Changeling and thought that one was coming!!

Well, I have seen Ghost Story too, but I'd prefer The Changeling.
Most wanted Blurays: All classic Disney animation films restored to their original look and colors (with grain), Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, No Mercy, Runaway, Mayerling, Supergirl, True Lies, Abyss, King Solomon's Mines, The Philadelphia Experiment (1984), Who's that Girl, Madonna Blond Ambition Tour
Foreign films: Sissi Trilogy, Death in Venice, Raise the Red Lantern, Cyrano, Indochine, Cavafy (1996)
Thanks given by:
donidarko (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #16
Power Member

Feb 2012
Dover, DE

Been wanting to have this on blu FORever.
My Top Seven Films:
1. The Thing
2. Picnic at Hanging Rock
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
4. Zodiac
5. Jaws
6. The Fugitive
7. 2001: A Space Odyssey
Old 07-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
US of A

I've never seen it but I like the poster.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Yeah, that poster is great and subtle. Naturally, the main artwork will probably be a couple of these pictures with a bunch of floating heads around them at the bottom:

Here's a great post made by Monroville in the German thread on this movie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroville View Post
Maybe GHOST STORY could have been a better movie, but as it is it is still a pretty damn fine story. The character motivations are pretty clear, the acting is good as well as the pacing (maybe it can be a bit slow, but it is a ghost story) and the FX. I never really understood the problem people had with it.

Still wish Dick Smith's original faceless ghost was in the movie though...
[Show spoiler]

I think the only problem I have with the movie is the extremely terrible blue screen "death" of Craig Wasson in the beginning. They could have easily just had him scream and do a 1st person POV as the camera fell through the skylight.

Here is a really interesting article on GHOST STORY you guys might like:

http://www.kennetti.fi/ghoststory.html
Old 07-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #19
Expert Member

Dec 2009

I'm looking forward to this although not expecting miracles from the reports of the German BD if it's the same master. Still, I'm sure that suffers from three films on one disc and it'll be an upgrade over the R1 DVD. I've always really had a soft spot for it and it has some fright scenes that still hold up.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
Yeah, that poster is great and subtle. Naturally, the main artwork will probably be a couple of these pictures with a bunch of floating heads around them at the bottom:
[Show spoiler]

Here's a great post made by Monroville in the German thread on this movie:
This will not be a collector’s edition right? So I'm hoping they would use the original artwork.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America