COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Elvis: That's the Way It Is (Blu-ray)
$19.59
The Essential Jacques Demy (Blu-ray)
$69.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Qatsi Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Weekend (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Thalía: Viva Tour (Blu-ray)
$13.48
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-08-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
Power Member

Jul 2006
Default Warner Bros. Says Goodbye to Female-Lead Films

Horrible and what a slap in the face to audiences.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:30 AM   #2

Aug 2007
Kansas City

thats messed up, wonder what kind of feminist outlash this will cause?
Old 10-08-2007, 04:37 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2006
Oceanside, CA.
Send a message via ICQ to BTBuck1 Send a message via AIM to BTBuck1 Send a message via MSN to BTBuck1 Send a message via Yahoo to BTBuck1

One word: Elektra.

After watching that bomb, I don't blame em.

Look, they are in the business to make money, And if these films aren't doing well
At the moment, why invest...just to be fair?
I think the whole "Girl power" / Women are better than men thing is annoying quite frankly.
Now we have one running for president, which I believe if elected would be a huge mistake, but thats a whole other topic.
Blu-ray Disc Supporter: PS3 60gb/Oppo BDP-93 3D, dual HDMI
HD DVD: Toshiba HD-A30,A2/Xbox360 add on (boxed HD-A1)
Samsung LN46B750 LCD 1080p/240hz
Sony kdl55hx729 1080p/240hz local dimming 3DLED
:myspace.com/bluraydisc: :blurayoasis:

Last edited by BTBuck1; 10-08-2007 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

I keep thinking he just wants to get fired for some reason
Old 10-08-2007, 04:53 AM   #5

Aug 2007

the 1st 5 min of Elektra was good then it went bad,,,
thing is they try to the movie a feel good movie
if it was her going around killing and fighting it whoud have been MUCH better
the little girl story was sooo crapy and did not fit elektra from the comics
infact thats true with all WB made movies with female comic chars
they redo it so she is softer. catwoman was bad do to BAD CG and bad story
elektra is a cold blooded killer who at times kills for good but she always
heartless and in no way careing,
yes i am a gamer 1st 15 PS3 games but i love my moives 50+ Blu-rays and 500+ DVDs most from japan
i am blu-ray as i HATE seeing Insert Disk 2
my PS3 just turned 1 year old the day WB went Blu
Old 10-08-2007, 04:55 AM   #6

Jun 2007
Send a message via AIM to Palanthian

Elektra wasn't that bad. It was a quite fun movie, I thought.

As far lacking in women leads....that sorta limits some of the movies I'll go see then. lol Most of my favorite films have female leads, at least the ones I'd go to the movies to see. Now I can't think of one that was made by Warner though...so maybe their problem is just not generally picking the best female lead movies? lol

And you can't blame it on Elektra, that has been out for what seems like forever now...not new enough for everyone's scapegoat. :P
Blu-Ray Movies currently owned : 51
Tv used: 32" Vizio VX32l
Sound System : Panasonic Sc-HT740
Blu-Ray Player : Playstation 3
PS3 Games Owned : Assassin's Creed, Uncharted : Drake's Fortune, Stranglehold : CE, Heavenly Sword, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Enchanted Arms, Lemmings HD, Super Stardust HD
Old 10-08-2007, 05:06 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palanthian View Post
Elektra wasn't that bad. It was a quite fun movie, I thought.

As far lacking in women leads....that sorta limits some of the movies I'll go see then. lol Most of my favorite films have female leads, at least the ones I'd go to the movies to see. Now I can't think of one that was made by Warner though...so maybe their problem is just not generally picking the best female lead movies? lol

And you can't blame it on Elektra, that has been out for what seems like forever now...not new enough for everyone's scapegoat. :P
Underworld and Aeon Flux are the only ones coming to mind for me specifically.

[ add / edit : clarity ]
I mean in general, not just for WB.
As female lead titles that were 'good'.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:23 AM   #8
Power Member

Jul 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBuck1 View Post
I think the whole "Girl power" / Women are better than men thing is annoying quite frankly.

It's not about "girl power"; it's about males and females getting equal treatment in the medium. One isn't better than the other but when one is treated poorly or like they are less than the other it is not right.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:28 AM   #9
Banned

Apr 2007
That's What She Said!

I don't beleive it has anything to do with the fac that they are "women" in general. It has more to do with the fact that most people that go to see movies are men. I see A LOT of guys at movies. That and the other issue has been mentioned, women lead films do not gross as much as male lead films.

I think the real issue at hand here is they have not found the right women For instance, Alien series. Woman lead and one hell of a franchise. Maybe a fluke? Who knows.

Companies need to stop fasting these teeny boppers as leads. Jessica Biel or whatever I don't consider and actor in any shape. She's too young and does not have appeal to the older audience. For some she is just eye candy.

Women that are "eye candy" do nothing for the film in the long run. Which is why they are having problems.

Pick stronger, older women and you might have a hit or two or three. No more of these "girls" that just got done with puberty please.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:30 AM   #10
Banned

Apr 2007
That's What She Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_UNTITLED View Post
It's not about "girl power"; it's about males and females getting equal treatment in the medium. One isn't better than the other but when one is treated poorly or like they are less than the other it is not right.
Bullshit. No offense to women here, but you all wanted equal rights correct? Why is it I don't see you doing the same jobs at Lowes, lifting 50+ pound boxes, bags, tiles. Why are you not trash people? Why are most UPS drivers men?

Sorry, but some women moan and complain about rights, yet when they are suppose to step up, its all about how "feminine" they are and they can't break a nail.

Give me something new thank you. Lastly, I am too tired of hearing about it. Get over it already.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #11
Power Member

Jul 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMore View Post
Bullshit. No offense to women here, but you all wanted equal rights correct? Why is it I don't see you doing the same jobs at Lowes, lifting 50+ pound boxes, bags, tiles. Why are you not trash people? Why are most UPS drivers men?

Sorry, but some women moan and complain about rights, yet when they are suppose to step up, its all about how "feminine" they are and they can't break a nail.

Give me something new thank you. Lastly, I am too tired of hearing about it. Get over it already.

Wow...that is...wow. I won't get into any of that but say I disagree to the highest degree possible (I'm a guy by the way, too).
Old 10-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Riverside, CA

Wow thats ****ed up...can i say the F bomb??
"Hope will never be silent"-Harvey Milk
Old 10-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #13
Banned

Apr 2007
That's What She Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_UNTITLED View Post
Wow...that is...wow. I won't get into any of that but say I disagree to the highest degree possible (I'm a guy by the way, too).
Yes, WOW. Why do you disagree? Speak.

I have been around too many women in "power" who were managers or the like. Things ran terribly or were just crappy to begin with. Am I sexist? No. There are very FEW women who know what they are doing. Those that do, mad props to you! But anyway, way off topic and no sense arguing over the net
Old 10-08-2007, 05:53 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

The Brave One was a great film. And that was by Warner too. It may still find audience on DVD/BD later next year but it's definitely one movie to watch. The fact that it didn't do well may have to do with other factors. I'm surprised that women didn't go in droves to see it.

PS - until men can get pregnant and carry the baby around for nine months until delivery, we'll just have to accept that there are biophysical differences between the sexes that can't be denied. More importantly, social perception and values get into play too.

fuad
Old 10-08-2007, 06:13 AM   #15
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMore View Post

you know in a way thats kind of true like i would see women doing like all of the paperwork and answering the phone calls and then i see these guys busting their asses and the girls dont do a thing about it they just sit there. i believe what you are trying to say is that there are a good amount of girls who are kind of lazy but older women just do what needs to be done and the younger ones complain like oh too much work and make up excuses like that
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 10-08-2007, 06:19 AM   #16

Apr 2007

Warner is making a solid business decision. What demographic usually goes to action/adventure movies? Males in the 20-35 yr old range maybe? What turns off male viewers the most ...aside from Lara Croft, lame adaption of female lead heroes? Money talks and female lead films ain't doing it. I would not, however; make it public knowledge.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:28 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Three of the best movies have female leads

1. Aliens ( is there any man who would take on Ripley I don't think so)
2. Teminator not so much, but T2 for sure
3. Mulholland Dr. This has two female leads, Naomi Watts should have won an Oscar in 2000 for Mulholland Dr. ( Is this the type of movie you were talking about, probably not, oh well)

If it's true it's the most F-ed up thing I've heard regarding movies in a while.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the Greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King Spring Breakers Mulholland Drive
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Front Speakers B&W 683 Center B&W HTM61 surrounds B&W 685
Old 10-08-2007, 07:00 AM   #18
Special Member

Aug 2007

So, Warner made some films that bombed. So they try to look for the formula that failed and avoid it the next time. They look for a new formula. So for a while we see no films with female leads, then the audience starts wanting something new, so what pops up? Female leads that blow that notion out of the water. Perhaps somthing from another studio, another director, another direction.

As I just said on another thread:

THERE ARE NO SET RULES FOR SUCCESS IN FILMMAKING!

As soon as you think you have something in a box, someone comes along and does something that can't be done and gets away with it like a bandit..all the way to the bank.
Kristin
Old 10-08-2007, 07:07 AM   #19
Special Member

May 2007
San Jose, California

Wow that's a seriously weird thing to say. I love movies with female leads (or at least a co-lead female role). Besides the ones listed already, Ultraviolet, Enough, Hollow Man (OK that's supposed to be Kevin Bacon, but he's invisible half the time! ), Double Jeopardy, Memoirs of a Geisha, Amelie, A Very Long Engagement, Volver, Black Book, Boys Don't Cry, Closer, Dogville, The English Patient, Chocolat, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Others, and the list goes on and on....

enjoy
gandalf
"Please bore someone else with your questions." - The Devil Wears Prada
Old 10-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #20
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by gand41f View Post
Wow that's a seriously weird thing to say. I love movies with female leads (or at least a co-lead female role). Besides the ones listed already, Ultraviolet, Enough, Hollow Man (OK that's supposed to be Kevin Bacon, but he's invisible half the time! ), Double Jeopardy, Memoirs of a Geisha, Amelie, A Very Long Engagement, Volver, Black Book, Boys Don't Cry, Closer, Dogville, The English Patient, Chocolat, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Others, and the list goes on and on....

enjoy
gandalf

you do realize that some of those are anime female roles i think the main point is live action female lead roles
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America