Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
I, Robot 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Say
$29.99
The Assassins (Blu-ray)
$6.98

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock
Exclamation Lawrence of Arabia - November 13 Collector's Edition - Review

Lawrence of Arabia Blu-ray

Lawrence of Arabia Blu-ray

Lawrence of Arabia Blu-ray Review

well we know that the UK is getting this on bluray in June, and the most recent issue of Home Theater has confirmed that it's coming stateside in 2012 - along with a surprise... it's getting a theater rerelease prior to the bluray release. I'm guessing (and hoping) that it will be similiar to the theatrical/bluray release of 'Taxi Driver': 4K Sony DP presentation (?) (fingers crossed )

Last edited by Deciazulado; 11-01-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
North Carolina

Theatrical release before blu release, awesome, especially on a gigantic screen!!!!
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"And use some of that cologne Gertrude got you for Christmas."
"Oh do I have to Mother, it smells like ether?"

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Sounds terrific. I am in.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #4

Sep 2008

I wonder if they will display it in a digital theater?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo12314 View Post
I wonder if they will display it in a digital theater?
the Home Theater article is about 4K in cinema and home theater application - so I assume, but don't quote me, the release will be 4K digital projection - in digital theaters via digital processors NOT the sucky subpar 'Fathom Event' DP screenings.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #6

Feb 2008

Any chance whatsoever that there will be a theater within 50 miles of Greensboro North Carolina that would/can show this?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojoeski View Post
Any chance whatsoever that there will be a theater within 50 miles of Greensboro North Carolina that would/can show this?
if any of the three Regals in the Greensboro area have Sony 4K projectors you might have a chance.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Special Member

Aug 2007
Singapore

great! i'm in
Old 01-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Rocky mountain Frontrange

Sony would do well to time the US release as close as they can to the UK release, as many here in the states would import this film in a blink of an eye. Within 2 weeks and I'll wait for the US release. If it's over a month, and I'll import it as quickly as I can.

Lawrence of Arabia in high definition was one of the switching points for many home enthusiasts, and we have been waiting a looooooooong time for Sonys remaster of this great film.
If you are violent you are weak, for violence has no mind.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
well we know that the UK is getting this on bluray in June, and the most recent issue of Home Theater has confirmed that it's coming stateside in 2012 - along with a surprise... it's getting a theater rerelease prior to the bluray release. I'm guessing (and hoping) that it will be similiar to the theatrical/bluray release of 'Taxi Driver': 4K Sony DP presentation (?) (fingers crossed )
First, the bad news: Amazon UK has pulled its preorders of LoA (though they haven't cancelled mine yet), so the June date in the UK is questionable.

The good news? Per Bill Hunt's interview with Grover Crisp on Taxi Driver, LoA is getting an 8K scan; that suggests the theatrical release will be 4K in the few theaters that support it.
BD players: PS3 Slim 250GB; Sherwood BDP-5004 (region-free); HP P7-1010 w/ LG WH12LS38K, AMD HD 6570, TMT 3, 5 & 6, PDVD 11, Nero 11
A/V hardware: Vizio E3D320VX 3DTV; Sony HT-SS380; Vizio Co-Star (Google TV); Radiient HDMI switch (PC also has Hanns-G HL227 & Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers)
-----------------
Avatar: Vivien Leigh's Gone with the Wind Oscar, my own photo taken in 2011 at Little Rock's Historic Arkansas Museum.

Last edited by RBBrittain; 01-08-2012 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
First, the bad news: Amazon UK has pulled its preorders of LoA (though they haven't cancelled mine yet), so the June date in the UK is questionable.

The good news? Per Bill Hunt's interview with Grover Crisp on Taxi Driver, LoA is getting an 8K scan; that suggests the theatrical release will be 4K in the few theaters that support it.
even though Taxi Driver was a 'Sony 4K release' exclusive, it'd be nice if they also made it available through 4K DLP (so far only two movies have been released as such Battle LA and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) - DLP really needs to step up in this regard.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:39 AM   #12
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Why not just post in this thread:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/wish-lists/...ce-arabia.html
Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

because that's in the 'wish list' thread and I'm actually giving some partial confirmed new news.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
because that's in the 'wish list' thread and I'm actually giving some partial confirmed new news.
What news have you given about the US release that hasn't already been discussed in the other thread? Furthermore the UK release has already been put in question.
Don't get me wrong, I too believe this will be out in 2012, but you have given nothing to indicate that a US release is nothing more than rumored.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
What news have you given about the US release that hasn't already been discussed in the other thread? Furthermore the UK release has already been put in question.
Don't get me wrong, I too believe this will be out in 2012, but you have given nothing to indicate that a US release is nothing more than rumored.
granted we don't have a street date for the release, but we have two things confirmed: it's getting released this year (it's not a rumor it's a fact) AND the restored 8K transfer is getting a theatrical release. And who actually reads the wish list posts anyway - talk about a pointless thread

Last edited by Dubstar; 01-08-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
granted we don't have a street date for the release, but we have two things confirmed: it's getting released this year (it's not a rumor it's a fact) AND the restored 8K transfer is getting a theatrical release. And who actually reads the wish list posts anyway - talk about a pointless thread
Could you provide a source? Again, I'm not against this, but I've yet to hear anything concrete.
As for the wishlists thread, I'm sure many people like to use them. Technically you are using it right now, as this title has not been officially announced. Thusly making it a wishlist item!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Lawrence of Arabia which had been scanned in at 8K resolution (to ensure the highest capture of detail from the film’s large-format 65mm negative) and then taken down to 4K for the workflow, was even more revealing. A close-up of Peter O’Toole’s face jumped off the screen compared with the earlier 2K master, thanks to the more detailed texture of his skin and the sharper reproduction of the layer of dust partially coating his face. A longer shot from Lawrence that was also taken in the desert showed a series of fine concentric lines near the top of the frame in a pattern reminiscent of a fingerprint. These, (Grover) Crisp explained, are cracks in the film emulsion caused by its melting in the desert heart and then healing over. The Lines have always been there in the negative and result in an unusual rippling artifact when viewing the movie, but until now there hasn’t been a way to fix it. We’ve never been able to see this kind of detail before – it’s always been kind of submerged, he says, but now with this 8K scan it’s more obvious, Sony commissioned a third party to develop software to minimize or eliminate this distracting artifact for the restored version, which is due out on blu-ray and in theaters later this year

- Home Theater (February 2012 Vol. 19 No. 2) “Hollywood the 4K Way” by Rob Sabin
Old 01-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Great news, but only when the blu ray comes out. Theater releases can't or don't help most of us.

Why wait for the USA version? UK releases are just fine. I have plenty of them. They can be cheaper and are just as good.

Glad to hear this is coming out.
Pioneer 5080 KURO
Samsung UN6500 LED
LG BD-570, Sony BDP-S360, PS 3
Toshiba A30 & A2
Sony STRDG-AV 810
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 510
Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #19
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Lawrence of Arabia which had been scanned in at 8K resolution (to ensure the highest capture of detail from the film’s large-format 65mm negative) and then taken down to 4K for the workflow, was even more revealing. A close-up of Peter O’Toole’s face jumped off the screen compared with the earlier 2K master, thanks to the more detailed texture of his skin and the sharper reproduction of the layer of dust partially coating his face. A longer shot from Lawrence that was also taken in the desert showed a series of fine concentric lines near the top of the frame in a pattern reminiscent of a fingerprint. These, (Grover) Crisp explained, are cracks in the film emulsion caused by its melting in the desert heart and then healing over. The Lines have always been there in the negative and result in an unusual rippling artifact when viewing the movie, but until now there hasn’t been a way to fix it. We’ve never been able to see this kind of detail before – it’s always been kind of submerged, he says, but now with this 8K scan it’s more obvious, Sony commissioned a third party to develop software to minimize or eliminate this distracting artifact for the restored version, which is due out on blu-ray and in theaters later this year

- Home Theater (February 2012 Vol. 19 No. 2) “Hollywood the 4K Way” by Rob Sabin
Again, nothing concrete. This is still "wishlist" material until a firm release date is announced.
Also again, I'm not against you or this being released in 2012. I'm just pressing the facts, or in this case...lack thereof.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Montreal

David Lean had an amazing eye as a director. I've seen LOA many times over the years. Visually it's one of the most beautiful films every shot in the history of cinema. There's barely a wasted frame in the entire movie.

Can't wait to see how it will look on Blu-Ray!!!
"I do want to thank you for offering me such a powerful piece of manpower as Virgil Tibbs"
(Chief Gillespie 'In The Heat Of The Night')
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America