Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$27.23
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Vincent Price Collection II (Blu-ray)
$59.76
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.98
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
America: Imagine the World Without Her (Blu-ray)
$13.28
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.21
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #1

Oct 2010
Default The Wild Geese (Severin Films)

Quote:
THE WILD GEESE To Fly Again On Blu-Ray

Severin will be releasing the mercenary soldier epic THE WILD GEESE, starring Richard Burton, Roger Moore and Richard Harris, as a Blu-Ray/DVD combo. The new high definition transfer from the original negative is complete and some very special exclusive new extras are being produced.

Last week veteran director Andrew V. MacLaglen, one of the few directors to have the distinction of working with both John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, sat down for a lengthy interview about the production of the film.

Richard Burton’s character Colonel Faulkner was apparently based on perhaps the world’s most famous mercenary Mike Hoare, also known as Mad Mike Hoare or the Mad Bloodhound. Hoare (now 92, the same age as MacLaglen incidentally) retired to South Africa some years ago after writing a number of books focusing on his military exploits. He has only very rarely given interviews but agreed to talk to us for this Special Edition of THE WILD GEESE wherein he discussed his incomparable career and his involvement in the movie as military advisor.

More details to follow on the ultimate edition of THE WILD GEESE.
http://www.severin-films.com/2012/01...in-on-blu-ray/

We'll see how this stacks up against Arrow's forthcoming UK edition.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Texas, at the bottom of a well 21,000 ft down

YES!!!

This is fantastic news. Finally, The Wild Geese, one of the best secret ops action movies ever made. Stellar cast, great story. I have been wanting this on blu-ray for years and it is always near the top of my wish list!

I just hope they give it a proper transfer, since it has never really looked all that good on DVD. Even upscaled on my blu-ray player, the DVD is washed out, soft, and lacking detail.

Richard Burton is great. Roger Moore, who was making his Bond films at this time, is also quite good, and he doesn't play it campy, just cool and mean. And Richard Harris gives a strong performance too, one of the finest I have ever seen him in. Also stars Hardy Krueger (who played the German panzer commander in A Bridge Too Far), along with many familiar actors from 1970s British cinema.

Just an all around top notch classic film about a group of aging mercenaries brought together to perform a rescue of an African politician held in a remote camp after a coup. If you like The Dirty Dozen and Tears of the Sun, you will like this.

Last edited by oildude; 03-09-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Special Member

Jun 2010
Florida

This is excellent news! I was getting ready to buy the import from the UK. Hopefully it will get a proper transfer with DTS HD sound too. This was one of the great British action action films of the late 70's. I still watch my dvd frequently.
Optoma HD 25e Projector
100" Manual Screen
Sony STRDG820 Receiver
Samsung BD-F6700
Polk Audio M20's FR & FL
JBL Speakers C & SURROUNDS

Last Watched: Double Impact
Old 01-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #4

Sep 2009
Queens, NY

I know it's a little point, but the cover on the US version is better than the UK one. The use of the poster art is great.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #5

Jan 2011
scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by punking View Post
I know it's a little point, but the cover on the US version is better than the UK one. The use of the poster art is great.
Is a little point.....but the UK release will have 4 artwork options. Including the one fearured on the Severin disc.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jun 2010
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenwilson04 View Post
Is a little point.....but the UK release will have 4 artwork options. Including the one fearured on the Severin disc.
Where did you get that information? Any shots of the covers yet?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #7

Jan 2011
scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable_Star View Post
Where did you get that information? Any shots of the covers yet?
I'm a mod on the cult labs forum and all Arrow blu-rays have 4 choices of artwork you can display. No shots of the other art yet for The Wild Geese, but since Arrow's previous dvd featured the same art as Severin, and there's not too many different covers out there, I'm confident that art will make an appearance.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #8

Dec 2008
Mexico

Great news! I remember reading the comic book about the film way back in 78 or 79. This will be a great add for my Bluray collection!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/index.ph...&tle_id=589&v=

cinemaretro.com

I don't have fond memories of this movie but I'll take a look at the Blu-ray.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Special Member

Dec 2008
Washington, D.C.

I'm working on a custom cover, just waiting on the Special Features listing:

My website: http://darrenharrison.info/ High resolution images from the 50+ years of James Bond in the cinema and 60+ years in the literary form.

Wishlist: Ffolkes (1980), Lassiter (1984), Rough Cut (1980), Zeppelin (1971), Sea Wolves (1980), Condorman (1981), When Eight Bells Toll (1971), Sphinx (1980), The Dam Busters (1955), 633 Squadron (1964)
Old 06-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
Special Member

Jun 2010
Florida

Any update when this is coming out in the US?
Optoma HD 25e Projector
100" Manual Screen
Sony STRDG820 Receiver
Samsung BD-F6700
Polk Audio M20's FR & FL
JBL Speakers C & SURROUNDS

Last Watched: Double Impact
Old 06-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Ohio

YES!

Hope we get some good extras and subtitles!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #13

Sep 2010

FInally watched this last week. Great, GREAT action movie with characters you actually care about (making the demises of a few of them all that more bitter). My own real qualm with the film was the cheesy 70's song which opened and closed the movie. But, Richard Harris was brilliant, Richard Burton was awesome and i dare say I even enjoyed Roger Moore! I will pick this up without hesitation when it comes out on blu.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

What happened to Severin? They haven't released anything since Horror Express last November.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
What happened to Severin? They haven't released anything since Horror Express last November.
It looks like they may be going out business, as a big chunk of their catalog, including all of their Blu-rays except Horror Express, has just been discontinued.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #16

Nov 2010
Southern California, USA

Quote:
It looks like they may be going out business, as a big chunk of their catalog, including all of their Blu-rays except Horror Express, has just been discontinued.
Looks like I'll have to import the Region B - whenever it gets released. It's been delayed a few times already.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Geese-B...4806815&sr=1-2
Old 08-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

Quote:
Severin is very much alive.They recently stated on Second Sight's FB page (weird,right?) that they will be back on track very soon,with promised The Wild Geese and Zulu Dawn.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #18

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
Severin is very much alive.They recently stated on Second Sight's FB page (weird,right?) that they will be back on track very soon,with promised The Wild Geese and Zulu Dawn.
In the meantime, they haven't shown up at their own FB page for like 6 weeks. Why would pretty much all of their Blu-ray releases go OOP, all at once and just like that? I dunno really, looks very peculiar to me ...
Old 08-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #19
Banned

Mar 2012
Currently suspended from the ceiling of the moderators rape dungeon.

Bummer, I still need to pick up Hardware and The Inglorious Bastards, but the latter has been overpriced forever if could find it. I thought it was already out of print for some time.

Edit: Noticed that The Inglorious Bastards was going for $7.99 at bestbuy.com so dropped an order for it. Amazon or anywhere else it's usually over $30.

Last edited by budious; 08-14-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
In the meantime, they haven't shown up at their own FB page for like 6 weeks. Why would pretty much all of their Blu-ray releases go OOP, all at once and just like that? I dunno really, looks very peculiar to me ...
They also haven't been paying attention to their own site, as the security certificate for their store link expired on April 28th.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America