Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$8.99
14 hrs ago
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Blu-ray)
$5.00
9 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Expendables 3 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
16 hrs ago
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Universe: The Complete Series Megaset (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Noah (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
The Equalizer (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players

Old 01-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #1

Nov 2010
Default Quick question regarding 3D ready tv's

Are there any 3D blu-ray players that will play on a 3D ready tv? I have a PS3, but it won't recognize that kind of tv, only the current generations of 3D tv's. It's cheaper to buy a new 3D blu-ray player than a new 3D tv, so I'm just trying to figure out if this type of player exists. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

would help to know what TV you currently have?

Not sure why the PS3 would not recognize it. What kind of setup do you have? are you going through a receiver??

more info needed!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #3

Nov 2010

If you really need the product number, I'll have to go look, but it was purchased a few years ago before the 3D craze took off, so it was a first generation 3D tv. It's a 61" Samsung LED/DLP 3D ready tv (which means I had to buy an emitter to hook into the tv to unlock the 3D feature on the tv itself), it's only 60 hertz though.. I'm using a high quality 3D hdmi cable direct from the PS3 to the tv (and yes, it's hooked into the only hdmi input that works with the 3D). I read online that the PS3's 3D capability doesn't work with 3D ready tv's. Tried playing a 3D movie, but it just brings up a screen saying that it can't display the 3D without a proper tv (obviously not the exact quote from the screen, but ya get the gist). On my Xbox 360 there's a game I have a demo for that has it's own 3D options and I was able to play that in 3D. I do have the proper glasses and all that, just need something that will be compatible with a 3D ready tv.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias77 View Post
If you really need the product number, I'll have to go look, but it was purchased a few years ago before the 3D craze took off, so it was a first generation 3D tv. It's a 61" Samsung LED/DLP 3D ready tv (which means I had to buy an emitter to hook into the tv to unlock the 3D feature on the tv itself), it's only 60 hertz though.. I'm using a high quality 3D hdmi cable direct from the PS3 to the tv (and yes, it's hooked into the only hdmi input that works with the 3D). I read online that the PS3's 3D capability doesn't work with 3D ready tv's. Tried playing a 3D movie, but it just brings up a screen saying that it can't display the 3D without a proper tv (obviously not the exact quote from the screen, but ya get the gist). On my Xbox 360 there's a game I have a demo for that has it's own 3D options and I was able to play that in 3D. I do have the proper glasses and all that, just need something that will be compatible with a 3D ready tv.
You have to enable 3D in the PS3 settings menu. Once you tell your ps3 it is connected to a 3D tv it should work.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
You have to enable 3D in the PS3 settings menu. Once you tell your ps3 it is connected to a 3D tv it should work.
Update your Display Settings test on the PS3 Settings menu, and make sure it recognizes you have "1080p (3D)" and "720p (3D)".
Old 01-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #6

Nov 2010

Yeah, that's the thing, I did that and it still wouldn't recognize my tv as being 3D capable. The PS3 settings section never even gave me the option of turning 3D on or off, it just simply isn't there. It's got the latest update & firmware and I've tried reconfiguring the video settings to try and make the 3D option appear, but it won't. That's why I'm asking if there's a separate 3D blu-ray player that will work with the 3D ready in addition to current gen 3Dtv's. I'm probably just gonna end up having to buy a new tv, but I was hoping to avoid that as I can't afford one and won't be able to for quite some time.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Yeah, that's the thing, I did that and it still wouldn't recognize my tv as being 3D capable. The PS3 settings section never even gave me the option of turning 3D on or off, it just simply isn't there. It's got the latest update & firmware and I've tried reconfiguring the video settings to try and make the 3D option appear, but it won't. That's why I'm asking if there's a separate 3D blu-ray player that will work with the 3D ready in addition to current gen 3Dtv's. I'm probably just gonna end up having to buy a new tv, but I was hoping to avoid that as I can't afford one and won't be able to for quite some time.
All 3D TVs are "3D-Ready." If it is a 3D ready set your ps3 should detect it. Maybe the 3D is broken on your set.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

what "3D adapter" are you using?

Do you go through a Receiver or just straight to the TV?

and also the model number of your Samsung DLP would be helpful...maybe someone who has one might know the secret? (or has gone through the motions and knows what is or is not possible)
Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #9

Nov 2010

3D ready is what they called sets that needed an adapter to unlock the 3D. Again, this was 3-4 years ago, before 3D was all the rage. This was one of the first ever 3D tv's made and therefore the technology was only in it's infancy. Hence why the tv isn't 3D capable (as in, having the tech inside the tv to be able to process the 3D picture). The current gen's are just plain 3Dtv's, they have the tech implemented in them to be able to make the 3D work. The 3D is not broken, it needs to be turned on through the tv, which I have done. Even when I have the 3D turned on and try to reconfigure the PS3, it still won't recognize it. The PS3 doesn't have the processing power for the 3D, it's almost like my tv and needs something else that can process it. The update to the PS3 for the 3D was basically just to make it 3D ready for a tv that is 3D capable. So it's either a new 3Dtv to be used with the PS3 or my current tv with a new 3D blu-ray player (if any will work with my tv's setup). At first, they were saying I had to buy a powerful computer capable of processing 3D so I could make the 3D work. Obviously I wasn't gonna spend $1500 just to unlock the 3D capability.

Here's the model #HLT6187SAX/XAA & version #RE01. The 3D emitter is a TriDef 3D emitter (found on ultimate3dheaven.com). The tv has an input that says 3D sync out, that's where the emitter plugs in. It's kind of a screwy technology because once I turn the 3D on, it's impossible to shut it back off, so I end up having to unplug the emitter from the tv.

I hope this makes things clearer, I don't know what else I can possibly say at this point without repeating myself.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

Quote:
The 3D emitter is a TriDef 3D emitter (found on ultimate3dheaven.com).
I did not find anything called "Tridef"... the only thing I found was this:

Virtual FX 3D Converter

or this:

Mitsubishi 3-DA1 & 3DC-1000 3D Adapter Pack

are any of these what you have?
Old 01-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

take a read through this thread from avsforum, may or may not be helpful?

How to get a Mits 3DA-1 to work on a Samsung - No mods required
Old 01-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #12

Nov 2010

I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me. Here's the link to the emitter I'm using - http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/wiirinpctr3d.html

I'm currently reading through the thread you linked me to and will continue to try things throughout the night. I'll get back to you tomorrow about if anything's changed.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

Looking at your link, I am a bit confused.

You mention you have a PS3 connected via HDMI, but that device you link to does not have an HDMI connection...so I am a bit confused on how you have it hooked up?

In order for your PS3 to display 3D you would have to connect the PS3 through the 3D adapter? The adapter looks like an S-video connection...

maybe you should consider buying the Mitsubishi/Samsung adapter?

My assumption would be your 3D adapter is not compatible with the 3D resolution of the PS3...

Last edited by crackinhedz; 01-19-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #14

Nov 2010

The PS3 is hooked up with the hdmi into the tv. The emitter is plugged directly into the tv in the 3D sync out input. So no, the PS3 & emitter are not connected directly to each other. I don't even know how that could even be possible considering the 3D sync out has to have the emitter plugged into it in order for the 3D to be unlocked and the third hdmi input has to be the one used in order for the 3D to work from whatever source. I tried what the other message board said, but that didn't do anything. My emitter is just that, an emitter. So there's no "box" to turn on & off, it just has an indicator light showing that it's on or not. I just can't get over how I can play the one game on my 360 in 3D without any problems, yet my PS3 can't figure anything out. I have a couple movies & games for the PS3 that are 3D capable, but unless the system itself recognizes the 3D it won't let the game tell it to make it work like that game on the 360.

Read more through that thread you linked me to. There were 3 people that have the same tv as me, so I guess I either have to find a 3D blu-ray player that puts out the checkerboard format or find this 3DA-1 thing with a manufacturing date before Jan. '11 and be able to watch or play whatever in 3D through my PS3. After Jan. '11 they nixed the ability to hack them for Samsung tv's. Reading what most have said on there, it's hard to find the ones made before Jan. '11 and they're usually no less than $100. Well, $100 is cheaper than a 3D blu-ray player (where I'd only be able to watch movies, as opposed to watching movies & playing games on the PS3) and way cheaper than buying a new 3Dtv. I hate how Mitsubishi screwed the Samsung owners on this. It's partially my fault for being impatient and not waiting for real 3Dtv's. Oh well, live & learn.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited by Matthias77; 01-19-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players