Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
They Live by Night (Blu-ray)
$15.87
The Martian 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.93
Song to Song 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.58
Tampopo (Blu-ray)
$19.37
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$13.55
Justice League Unlimited: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$15.84
Bad Day at Black Rock (Blu-ray)
$10.27
Evil Ed (Blu-ray)
$15.31
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.09
The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years (Blu-ray)
$16.40
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.31
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #61
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Smoove View Post
I didn't mind missing out on Release Day Delivery because I won't be getting home until around 10pm. I'll be too tired to watch it anyway.

Not sure why you'd be sorry. I don't care about whether, or not, you're interested in TinTin. Just making a general recommendation since it comes out on the same day.
True. I won't be watching it anytime soon anyways, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me either. Since I already have Young Adult coming on Tuesday, it's just easier to have them both delivered at the same time. Oh well.

Just trying to be polite. Fine, I'll ignore all of your recommendations from now on and not even say sorry.
[Show spoiler]
Last Watched: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Last Bought: The Martian
PSN ID and Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 03-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #62
Blu-ray Archduke

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
Just trying to be polite. Fine, I'll ignore all of your recommendations from now on and not even say sorry.
[Show spoiler]
In that case, you'll just be sorry that you're missing out on some great movies.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #63
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Smoove View Post
In that case, you'll just be sorry that you're missing out on some great movies.
Who needs great movies?
[Show spoiler]Wait, I just kind of dissed myself.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #64

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
At a little after 2:30 in the video I saw on YouTube, a person shows the packaging for this. As for retailer exclusives, there aren't any. This really isn't the kind of movie for it. As for early reviews, Fox doesn't usually send out screeners. The only way a website would have a review up yet is if they got this early somehow. Most of the time at least.

Upcoming Bluray Releases March 13. Tin Tin, The Descendants, Melancholia, Three Muskateers - YouTube
Thanks for the info, I don't buy a whole lot of Blu-rays so I'm mostly ignorant on the matter.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #65
Special Member

Feb 2012
Freehold, NJ

I just ordered this (along w/ Terminator 2 so I could get free shipping). I originally had no interest in seeing this, but my mom wants to see it and after see Clooney on Inside the Actor's Studio, it got me really interested.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #66
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011

I had to cancel all of this week's upcoming titles so I can ship them together as one order (they might have anyways but didn't want to take the chance that they didn't and creating too many boxes to worry about). Anyhow, really looking forward to seeing this one again.
DVD Aficionado - quickdraw_ltd's DVD Collection

Living Room
Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E3 42-Inch
Sony PlayStation 3 160GB / Sony PlayStation 4 500GB
Onkyo HT-S3700
Old 03-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #67
Banned

Mar 2012
Maryland

Thinking about picking this up with Tintin 3D on Tuesday (3X RZ points!). Gotta remember to pick up that new French Connection too. Is this worthy of a blind buy?

Last edited by BluCrab; 03-11-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #68
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Oshawa, ON
Default As I can't see any reviews posted yet...

The Descendants (2011)
Comedy, Drama, 115 minutes
Directed by Alexander Payne
Starring George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Nick Krause and Amara Miller

***This review contains minor spoilers***

It took me about two minutes to decide that The Descendants was going to be my kind of film. It happened during Clooney's opening voice-over in which he observed that, just because they live in paradise, Hawaiians aren't exempt from the usual problems people face. That statement caught my attention because it's true, but it also alerted me to the possibility that the script would be both truthful and more intelligent than most.

Matt King (Clooney) is the kind of character that I can identify with. He's a lawyer and his job is more important to him than his family. He regularly travels to neighboring islands on business and hasn't had a proper relationship with his wife and two daughters for several years. When his wife has an accident which places her in a coma, Matt's life changes instantly. He has to be a father to his daughters and he's completely unprepared.

[Show spoiler]His younger daughter, Scottie (Miller), is 10 years old. Matt last took care of her when she was three. His other daughter, Alex (Woodley), is 17 and is in an institute to help her overcome alcohol and drug problems. When Matt learns that his wife will never wake up, he takes Scottie to collect Alex from the institution. Alex is drunk when he turns up and openly defies him early in the film.

Place yourself in Matt's situation for a moment. How would you attempt to console your daughters? What would help you establish some kind of connection with them? If you're all they have left, how will you make them feel as if everything is going to be all right?

Matt is annoyed with Alex because she argued with her mother the last time they spoke, but her reasoning is sound; she found out that her mother was cheating on Matt. Alex insists that her boyfriend, Sid (Krause), stays with her while she is home. Sid appears to be fairly dumb and occasionally stoned. Matt is not happy.

The story really takes off when Matt takes Sid and his daughters to a neighboring island in search of his wife's lover. Another story thread explains that Matt and his many cousins are descended from Hawaiian royalty and own a piece of land worth around $500 million. Matt is the sole trustee and must organize the group of cousins and decide who to sell the land to. A complication emerges later in the story which could have a major impact on his decision, but I won't reveal any more of the film's secrets.

I've watched Clooney develop as an actor over the past few years. He used to be criticized for "always being Clooney", but I think he's proved that there's a lot more to him. His timing is excellent and he always delivers his comedic lines well, but he has to show considerable range as Matt. Many of the scenes require him to show his feelings without the use of words. He goes through a lot of emotions during the film and pulls it off perfectly whether the situations are positive or negative. His performance is human, real, touching, emotional and understandable. I thought he should have won the Oscar for his performance in Up in the Air, but this latest oversight is a glaring error.

What I really liked about the film was the character development. We see Matt grow as expected, but I was stunned by the development shown in Alex and Sid. They both have more to them than meets the eye and I ended up liking both characters tremendously.

The conclusions that Matt reaches by the end of the story seem plausible and fit well with his development as a father and as a responsible adult. I might have reached the same conclusions if I were placed in his shoes.

You'll definitely laugh during The Descendants and you may even be moved to tears.

Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash won the Oscar for their adaptation of Kaui Hart Hemmings' book and it was thoroughly deserved. It's rare to witness a film with such intelligent writing. The characters and situations are always believable. If you were in their position, you might find yourself behaving in the same way.

The Descendants is my favorite film of 2011 and, in a few years, I suspect many will wonder why it didn't win for Best Picture when we find out whether The Artist has lasting appeal.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #69

Jan 2008
Alberta
Canada

Available today(!) -- but, where is Blu-ray.com's review ??
140" Draper 2.40 scope grayscreen / Panny AX-100 pj w/Panamorph U85 lens / Hitachi 65" CRT 1080i-rptv / Panny BDT360 / OPPO BDP80 / Tosh HDA30 / Yamaha AVRs x 3 / Klipsch, Polk, Velodyne, & Fluance speakers / Buttkicker LFE x 2
Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #70
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe View Post
Available today(!) -- but, where is Blu-ray.com's review ??
I'm guessing between reviewing The Killing and a couple others, even GWTTD, they either will post it later today, or just haven't gotten around to i yet whether they received their copy or not.

Personally, I've been trading in my movies I haven't planned on revisiting soon, and this is one I do plan to, so despite it being a drama and generally wouldn't warrant as much replay as say, Dark Knight, the performances were all great and the direction very swift and emotional. As far as dramas go, I'd see myself seeing this again sometime soon and would love to have it on my shelf.
Current VUDU Library Count: 2,424 Movies/ 59 TV Shows
Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #71
Special Member

Jul 2008
SoCal, planet Earth

I was kind of hoping the price would drop a bit on release day, but it seems that it won't. Guess I'll wait until the price drops to around $15 or so. I hear good things about this movie, but not ready to pay $20 for it. Maybe in the next few weeks, the price will drop. Otherwise, might have to wait for black Friday sales.
Blu-ray Player/s: Sony BDP-S6200, BDP-S790, BDP-S780, BDP-S770 and BDP-S1
PS3: PlayStation 3 Console 60GB Hard Drive
Audio1 : Pioneer SC-57 (9.2)
Speakers: BOSE Acoustimass 16 Series II
Audio 2: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi / BOSE 3𠂹 Series II DVD Home Entertainment System
Video 1: Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch 3D LCD HDTV
Video 2: Sony KDL50W800B 50-Inch 3D LCD HDTV
Old 03-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #72

Jul 2009

[QUOTE
You'll definitely laugh during The Descendants and you may even be moved to tears.

[/QUOTE]

The only time I laughed was when Clooney was running and the only time I was moved to tears was when I realised how much I spent on the tickets. Dull, boring and there was no emotional connection with any of the characters.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #73
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Oshawa, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin sam View Post
[QUOTE
The only time I laughed was when Clooney was running and the only time I was moved to tears was when I realised how much I spent on the tickets. Dull, boring and there was no emotional connection with any of the characters.[/QUOTE]

Sorry it didn't work for you. I obviously loved it.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #74
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvl View Post
I was kind of hoping the price would drop a bit on release day, but it seems that it won't. Guess I'll wait until the price drops to around $15 or so. I hear good things about this movie, but not ready to pay $20 for it. Maybe in the next few weeks, the price will drop. Otherwise, might have to wait for black Friday sales.
I'm still waiting for Win Win to drop to a good price. It might be awhile for this one.
DVD Aficionado - quickdraw_ltd's DVD Collection

Living Room
Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E3 42-Inch
Sony PlayStation 3 160GB / Sony PlayStation 4 500GB
Onkyo HT-S3700
Old 03-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #75
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

I like that Matt (George Clooney) looks at his daughters on the theatrical release poster. Obviously the film studio only changed it for the Blu-ray cover because they were worried that people wouldn't recognize Clooney at this angle instantly.

Theatrical Release Poster:

US Blu-ray cover:

Old 03-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #76
Special Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
I like that Matt (George Clooney) looks at his daughters on the theatrical release poster. Obviously the film studio only changed it for the Blu-ray cover because they were worried that people wouldn't recognize Clooney at this angle instantly.

US Blu-ray cover:

Obviously people are pretty dumb because it says "GEORGE CLOONEY" right above the title

Anyway, looking at that I wish they hadn't changed it from the movie poster. The act of looking back at his kids feels like it ties into the title of the film.

Last edited by lemonski; 03-13-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #77
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

There's another theatrical release poster. The background was cropped out for the UK Blu-ray cover.

UK Bluray >>>

Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #78

Jan 2008
Alberta
Canada

Fresh, enthusiastic review from High-Def Digest

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6406/descendants.html
140" Draper 2.40 scope grayscreen / Panny AX-100 pj w/Panamorph U85 lens / Hitachi 65" CRT 1080i-rptv / Panny BDT360 / OPPO BDP80 / Tosh HDA30 / Yamaha AVRs x 3 / Klipsch, Polk, Velodyne, & Fluance speakers / Buttkicker LFE x 2
Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #79
Banned

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post

US Blu-ray cover:

I don't mind the Blu cover. I think the emotions on his face better express the movie than him just looking back at his daughters. There's a pained/confused/conflicted expression there and that sums up a lot of what he goes through.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #80
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe View Post
Fresh, enthusiastic review from High-Def Digest

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6406/descendants.html
That raises my expectations up a bit. I'd be very surprised if this turned out to be an unsuccessful blind buy for me.

One thing that I agree with from the review is about a couple of things missing from the special features. It is surprising there is nothing about creating the script from the book or a commentary. At the end of the day, it can all be forgotten though given the movie and the quality of the disc (PQ and AQ).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America