Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dexter: The Complete Series 1-8 Collection Exclusive Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$337.36
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Kite (Blu-ray)
$17.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players

Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Default How does 2d to 3d conversion work?

I was wondering... How does it work for you to convert 2d to 3d when it comes to Non 3d movies? And can my PS3 do it too?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

I think in most cases it's the TV that does it and not the player. Because it should work with any content (3D VHS anyone? lol...).

So check the specs on your telle. If it has 2D-3D in it, you're set! I think a lot of LG models have this? I don't really know...

I haven't heard good things about this though. I heard it costs $150,000 a minute to properly convert a 2D film to 3D, and most of these don't look that great (though this figure may be for the conversions that DO look good; Captain America, Lion King, Pirahna). So I can't see how real-time converting for absolutely free (minues electricity) would look that great. My PC can aparently do it, but for these above reasons I haven't really looked into how to do it.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Special Member

Jul 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand.

My passive LG 55LW4500 can do it, some stuff converts well. Watched a bit of starship troopers to test it and some of it was really good.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nommag View Post
My passive LG 55LW4500 can do it, some stuff converts well. Watched a bit of starship troopers to test it and some of it was really good.
I've heard good things about space scenes. I forgot to mention that. I think the black background makes it easy for the telle to figure out what the objects are.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

It seems to work on a similar theory to those polarized toy "spectrum" 3D glasses that always show up in Crayola kits--Which make dark colors and blacks recede into the background, while high-spectrum reds and yellows pop out.
Usually, when I have the set convert, I notice that a character wearing bright red or orange against a dark background will have his different parts of his clothes "separate" from his body, with his head at one depth and his shirt at the other.

(Back before B3D, we used to put on the toy Crayola glasses and watch Disney animated films, with the same color-separation "depth"...Although I haven't watched "Pocahontas" on the set conversion, and don't know whether it looks as good as it did with the glasses. )
Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Special Member

Oct 2008

It's basically the TV's processor taking educated guesses as to what is supposed to be closer to the viewer, and then distorting the original image based on this info to create a "second eye" image.

There are many ways they try to determine this - color, as mentioned above, is one of them. So is general brightness/luminance, object size, speed and direction of movement, "overlap" with other objects, and the basic geometric shapes. It's usually hit or miss - with far more misses than hits. It's basically guaranteed to be less accurate than someone actually going in and using his brain, common sense, and often even input from the director. Plus any "painting in" they'll do for objects behind the ones they extrude is nonexistent or sloppy, leading to a lot of distortion around the edges of objects.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #7

Nov 2011
Oklahoma
Default More on 2D-3D conversion: Samsung's Object Based Depth Processing

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
It's basically the TV's processor taking educated guesses as to what is supposed to be closer to the viewer, and then distorting the original image based on this info to create a "second eye" image.

There are many ways they try to determine this - color, as mentioned above, is one of them. So is general brightness/luminance, object size, speed and direction of movement, "overlap" with other objects, and the basic geometric shapes. It's usually hit or miss - with far more misses than hits. It's basically guaranteed to be less accurate than someone actually going in and using his brain, common sense, and often even input from the director. Plus any "painting in" they'll do for objects behind the ones they extrude is nonexistent or sloppy, leading to a lot of distortion around the edges of objects.
I love the 2D-3D conversion on the 2011 Samsung bluray players. When the Samsung 2012 BD Players came out, I sold my 2011 BD-D6700 Samsung BD Player because I was wanting the latest in 3D tech and specifically any improvements on the 2D-3D conversion

Unfortunately, I quickly came to realize that neither my shiny new BD-E6500 nor any of the BD players from Samsung in 2012 have 2D-3D as that feature has been cut in favor of others (disc to digital, web browser, etc.)

It seems that Samsung realized that cheaper BD players sell better (and they can't compete with PS3 price range) and therefore all of their bluray players seem/are cheaper this year. The highest end model is the 6500 at $200 while last year we had the higher end BD-D6700, D7000, D7500 all available initially from around $200-$300 and up

I have since sent back my 2012 E6500, and repurchased a 2011 Samsung D6700. Couldn't be happier now because, as I mentioned before, a lot of 3D enthusiasts believe that Samsung's 2011 2D-3D conversion is light years better (Object Based Depth Processing) than Panasonic, Sony's, or any other implementation of 2D-3D conversion

Thanks to Nielo TM over at AVForums:
"Samsung's 2D to 3D is quite amazing and it is pixel based

In comparison to simple 3D conversion where the image is horizontally split into three sections and placed in linier sequence (e.g. bottom section in front, middle section in middle and the top section set to back); the real-time 2D to 3D developed by Samsung (Object Based Depth Processing) functions by analyzing the input image and gathers (z) axis by decompiling the image to its individual pixels to process depth separation, which is achieved by scanning the frequency range of individual pixels as pixels with greater information (focused/detailed) have higher frequency range (bandwidth) then pixels that are blurred in the background, (along with pixel movement and pixel brightness). The processed data is then passed onto disparity optimization and L/R separation, which can be controlled by the user."

Many thought that the 2011 Samsung BD Player's 2D-3D conversion was the best, even rivaling or in some way's besting 3D Bee converters

Last year, I quickly noticed in a bluray comparison, that my D6700 bluray player easily bested my top of the line Samsung UND8000 3DTV in terms of the quality of the 2D-3D conversion being done. I don't know why, but the difference was huge for me

Perhaps it was because the pixel based conversion was done and presented in a nice & neat package before being ouput to the tv and you weren't having to watch/see the conversion being done on the fly while the tv tries to keep up in front of your eyes

For that reason, I used the tv's conversion very little, while using the 2D-3D feature on my BD Player on any fullscreen BD disc I rented/watched

Hope this helps
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players