Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Strain: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Kundo (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$28.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$12.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies > Hollywood and Celebrities

Old 01-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Dallas, TX
Default Why Are Celebrities Always Apologizing?

I'm sure I'm not the only one whose noticed this, but it seems like some famous person is always backtracking on something they previously said, even if it was a joke to begin with. I mean, if they deliberately said something to hurt or anger someone, then an apology would be necessary...but instead, it seems like most celebs make a statement, and less than 2 days passes before they're on some news show, or doing an interview to explain they didn't mean it. I guess it just ties into the PC mentality of "never offend anyone", which I think is pure nonsense. No one can control the reactions of others, so unless there's malicious behavior involved, why worry about it? Just say what you mean, and mean what you say; its not rocket science.
"The cost of a thing is the amount of life which is required to be exchanged for it." ~Henry David Thoreau~

My Blog
Old 01-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

It has to do w/a new scientific phenomena where people are being born w/o a backbone!!
Blu-Benny’s 7.2 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"
Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Well, you see, when WE apologize, we don't have a studio or press agent making us do it...
Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010

In this day and age, everyone is thin-skinned and missing a backbone, so everything is offensive to someone out there. It's not enough to disagree or debate -- if you say something I don't like, I want you fired from your job immediately and punished for the rest of your life.

Of course, sometimes you can redirect the blame by saying, "I'm sorry if YOU were offended."

You can't have diversity and tolerance if everyone's different, you know.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Well, you see, when WE apologize, we don't have a studio or press agent making us do it...
See, if I was in a similar position, I highly doubt I'd put up with that kind of thing, unless I actually said something to be deliberately offensive (unlikely as it may be). I think my reaction would be something like, "I said it, and I meant it. If folk's don't like it, that's their problem. I'm not defined by others' opinions."
"The cost of a thing is the amount of life which is required to be exchanged for it." ~Henry David Thoreau~

My Blog
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Out there...past the trees...

It's because celebrities say dumb things.

EDIT:
I sincerely apologize for my statement, as it may be offensive to celebrities, and I sincerely do not mean any harm to them.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
See, if I was in a similar position, I highly doubt I'd put up with that kind of thing, unless I actually said something to be deliberately offensive (unlikely as it may be). I think my reaction would be something like, "I said it, and I meant it. If folk's don't like it, that's their problem. I'm not defined by others' opinions."
...Oh, so kind of like Charlie Sheen, then?

Remember, in celebritydom, Being Liked is still a BUSINESS. With profits, losses, and stockholders.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
...Oh, so kind of like Charlie Sheen, then?

Remember, in celebritydom, Being Liked is still a BUSINESS. With profits, losses, and stockholders.
No, Charlie Sheen's behavior was irresponsible and malicious, to say the very least, and kicking him off "Two and a Half Men" was the right decision. I'm talking about when a celeb says something they personally believe in, having no disturbing intent, and folks get unreasonably "offended" over it. At what point did it become wrong to stick to your guns, regardless of public opinion?

My Blog
Old 01-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
It's because celebrities say dumb things.

EDIT:
I sincerely apologize for my statement, as it may be offensive to celebrities, and I sincerely do not mean any harm to them.

Publicity for some, toeing the party line in other instances. I would think to stave of the acid flung in their general direction. Image is everything, especially for employment . (and any behind the scenes "sponsorship".)
"I don't always herdy dur mur flerpty floopin...

But when I do, I yer der schmer dor her der foomty, der shoopin flerpty dur"

The Swedish Chef!.

Last edited by L-Rouge; 01-24-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Saginaw, MI

Too much political correctness.
Main Gear: Samsung PN60E550 - Region Free Sony BDP-S790 - Xbox 360 Slim 250 - Wii - Onkyo 606 - OTA - Windows Media Center - Logitech Harmony One
Basement Gear: Samsung 46" lcd - Sony BDP-S370 - OTA - Logitech Harmony X-Box
Bedroom Gear: Sony KDL-40Z4100 40" - HTPC
Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
Too much political correctness.
Agreed; the less of it, the better.

My Blog
Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #12

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Celebrity or not, if you're in the public eye and say something...someone else is going to take offense to it and make it a big deal. The celebrity then apologies, which is simply a case of damage control. They can't win.
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - Rega - Valab/King
Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
Celebrity or not, if you're in the public eye and say something...someone else is going to take offense to it and make it a big deal. The celebrity then apologies, which is simply a case of damage control. They can't win.
I disagree. All it takes is a willing few to stand by their word, and others will follow suit. The easiest way to stop political correctness in its tracks, is to avoid participation to begin with. You make a non-malicious statement, someone gets offended, then you say, "Oh, well; that's your problem, not mine." Many folks need to develop more of a backbone, especially concerning statements that aren't inherently offensive. Contrary to popular belief, respect doesn't equal acceptance.

My Blog
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies > Hollywood and Celebrities