Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Of Human Bondage (Blu-ray)
$14.78
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #41
FreakMan FreakMan is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2010
122
1
Default

dude some of you guys don't know shit about movies and act like nothing is ever good enough for you guys. I agree with some stuff you guys says but most of the time you guys act like you have such great taste in cinema by disliking 99% off movies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #42
bollywood karim bollywood karim is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2009
Santa Monica, California
Default Agree

Yes Freakman, i agree for some on this forum nothing is ever good, but they have a right to their opinion

Last edited by bollywood karim; 02-20-2012 at 09:39 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #43
Harvey Dent Harvey Dent is online now
Active Member
 
Aug 2008
1042
Default

I am a little surprised by this post here. Though you are absolutely entitled to your opinion on Agneepath , both new and old, a little bit of checking of facts before you posted would have helped.

If you did dig a little more you would have realised both the movie Agneepath and Mr. Bachchan's performance has gained a cult status in the Indian home video market and hence a remake was always on the cards.

As for the absolute worst performance of Amitabh, again if you had checked your facts , he did get a National Award for his performance in the movie. And ,now please dont be derisive about the national awards and do accord them their due importance .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay0864 View Post
I saw the movie yesterday in the theater and the only good thing about the experience, was the fact that after a long time I was lucky to watch a Hindi film in a non digital projection. So for once, the picture quality was great and not marred by digitisation as has become the bane of theatrical presentations of bollywood movies. The audio quality was also quite good but the experience was somewhat marred by the jarring overdose of loud and continuous background score. As for the movie itself, let's just say "खोदा पहाड़, निकली चुयिया" ("khoda pahad, nikli chuyia" similar to "making a mountain out of a mole hill").

When I had first heard of Karan Johar wanting to remake 'Agneepath', my immediate thought was, why in the world would anyone want to make a remake of an absolutely crap and more importantly in the case of bollywood, a totally flop movie. But then, most bollywood producers/directors/actors generally live in a delusional world of their own, in which even the most mediocre work and at times even the crappiest of their work, is projected as great cinema. Thus, with the right packaging, enough marketing and furthermore, backed by the typical Indian media hyperbole, the project did seem like a great commercial prospect. So from Karan Johar's perspective, "why not"? When the movie finally got released and the film makers quite actively pointed out that the new Agneepath had very little in common with the original, I too got suckered into going to watch the movie in a theater. Which by the way, for me is a rarity now and very seldom do I venture out to the theaters. Although, taking into account 'Don 2', this is the second time in two months and if compared to my experience with 'Don 2', I suppose this one compares rather favorably since unlike with 'Don 2', I did not sleep through the movie and also the picture quality was immensely better, as it was not a digital presentation at PVR theaters as 'Don 2' was.

Honestly, I had watched the original 'Agneepath' back when it first came out in my college days in the US and I don't really remember much of it other than the fact, that I had found the movie to be absolutely crap and had had a very tough time even sitting through it. I also remember, unlike what bollywood would have you believe now, it to be one of the worst, if not the very worst performance of Amitabh's career. Therefore, I cannot really make much of a comparison between the two movies and in that context, all I will say is that, if memory serves me right, this movie is definitely a vast improvement over the absolute crap directed by 'Mukul Anand'. Did that guy ever make even half a decent movie? Please don't bother to answer that one, for it's a rhetorical question as far as I am concerned.

Coming back to Karan Johar's 'Agneepath'. My take:

The Good: Still racking my brains on this one. Maybe the fact, that it is better than the original.

The Bad: The script. Poorly etched characters. Major inconsistencies in characterization. Huge plot holes. Bollywood, cliched concepts, such as, a romantic angle for the main lead.

The Ugly: Jarringly loud & continuous background score. Too many and to make it worse, bad songs intruding into the narrative of the movie.

PS: Although not for the first time, but I am still shocked to see, seemingly educated parents, bringing their young children, ranging from toddlers to early teens, to a movie such as 'Agneepath'. By the way, it wasn't just a stray incident of one misguided family, rather there were numerous such families in the the theater. Mind you, this was for a late night show, on a school night. But then, this is a movie depicting the rape of a handicapped girl child, several scenes of young and minor girls being auctioned for sex, rampant blood shed, bloody butchering of human beings and with a base theme of revenge. Wow, with such great family entertainment at stake, how could such mundane things such as school in the morning be allowed to come in the way of a loving family outing. I suppose the Indian censor board too, deserves special praise for NOT rating this movie as appropriate for 'adults only'. After all, they did insert a 'Cigarette smoking is injurious to health' on the screen, when someone in the movie lit up. Hmm.. I wonder which genius politician's brain child, this idea is. Honestly though, based on many past experiences, I am quite sure in any case, that an 'adult only' rating would also not have been a deterrent for many parents in India. For I recall the same scenario, for many other movies in the past that have been rated 'Adults Only'.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #44
Anurag1700 Anurag1700 is offline
Senior Member
 
Anurag1700's Avatar
 
May 2010
Bangalore
34
1
Default

whoa !! looks like the forum is on agni.... oops i meant 'fire'.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #45
sanjay0864 sanjay0864 is offline
Expert Member
 
Mar 2008
114
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Dent View Post
I am a little surprised by this post here. Though you are absolutely entitled to your opinion on Agneepath , both new and old, a little bit of checking of facts before you posted would have helped.

If you did dig a little more you would have realised both the movie Agneepath and Mr. Bachchan's performance has gained a cult status in the Indian home video market and hence a remake was always on the cards.

As for the absolute worst performance of Amitabh, again if you had checked your facts , he did get a National Award for his performance in the movie. And ,now please dont be derisive about the national awards and do accord them their due importance .
I am glad you at least accorded me the privilege of my own opinion. In my opinion and I must clarify again, I don't really remember much of the original movie other than what I had thought of it and Amitabh's performance in it back then, both the movie and Amitabh's performance were way over the top. But then again, most Indians seem to love over the top performances and thus it is easy to see how it garnered a cult following. But that still does not change the fact, that his performance was bad, in MY opinion back then. I don't actually remember anything to form or have an opinion now.

As for the 'national' awards, why should I not be derisive of them? They maybe better than all the other plethora of awards in India, but they too have been quite politicized from before the release of Agneepath. Amitabh's political influence and proximity to the Gandhi's back then is a publicly known fact. By the way, even the likes of Ajay Devgun, or is it 'Devgn' now a days, has won the National award twice. Thus, there isn't any reason why I or anyone else couldn't be derisive of the 'National' awards. Saif Ali Khan too was quite derisive of the National Awards, when he himself won it for 'Hum Tum'.

Last edited by sanjay0864; 02-20-2012 at 07:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #46
srkbeno.1 srkbeno.1 is offline
Expert Member
 
Oct 2009
3
Default

since when is this a "film discussion thread" ... lol now days people are just writing "blu ray" next to the film title and posting their reviews on the film.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #47
ravenus ravenus is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ravenus's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
India
390
201
22
Default

Not much different from people posting "Saw <insert film name> in the theaters, when is the blu-ray releasing, can't wait for it, hoping for good video and audio, yada yada" speculation threads.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #48
anibap anibap is offline
Special Member
 
anibap's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
London, UK
30
128
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakMan View Post
dude some of you guys don't know shit about movies and act like nothing is ever good enough for you guys. I agree with some stuff you guys says but most of the time you guys act like you have such great taste in cinema by disliking 99% off movies.
LOLz.....
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Asus A53E Blu Ray i7 Notebook | Sony BDP S350 | Infocus IN82 Full HD DC3 DLP | Onkyo TX-SR 607 | Q Acoustics 1010i, 1000Ci, 1000Si
My Theater Gallery
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #49
bollywood karim bollywood karim is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2009
Santa Monica, California
Default same club

+1, but it is the same duo, lol, you know what to expect lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #50
FreakMan FreakMan is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2010
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anibap View Post
LOLz.....
it might be funny but it is the truth.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #51
xxxxxx xxxxxx is offline
Member
 
Apr 2009
24
Default Reply

In Agneepath 2 Hritik Roshan's performance was the best at action. In Kaho na Pyaar Hai he did little bit of action and I was hoping to see him back in action since long time and he did it. Love you Hritik. I would like to see him in a role of Police Officer. It would be something different.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #52
bollywood karim bollywood karim is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2009
Santa Monica, California
Thumbs up Freakman i agree with you

Freakman i agree with you, Agneepath was a very well done movie, the acting by Sanjay dutt and Hrithik roshan, was very stellar, it was from the soul and reached new heights for both these actors, the movie should not be dismissed the way it is, but remember it is only two opinions amongst many, If you look at the world thru black glasses everything looks black.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #53
FreakMan FreakMan is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2010
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollywood karim View Post
Freakman i agree with you, Agneepath was a very well done movie, the acting by Sanjay dutt and Hrithik roshan, was very stellar, it was from the soul and reached new heights for both these actors, the movie should not be dismissed the way it is, but remember it is only two opinions amongst many, If you look at the world thru black glasses everything looks black.
ya man your right just its just annoying to seeing in every thread that almost every release bollywood has on blu-ray sucks because only the "shitty" movies get released.

Im born and raised in america and am as american as they come and love hollywood films But i like bollywood films better, i have like like 6 of the stereotypical american guys and girls who started watching bollywood movie who enjoy them more than most of the hollywood movies these days, but indians who have come from india act like they have such high taste in cinema and how bollywood actors sucks. lol they at like they are masters of cinema yet they praise the shittiest hollywood movies. To them its a crime when a film like ra.one is a blockbuster but it makes sense when transformers or twilight is a blockbuster.

Last edited by FreakMan; 02-22-2012 at 09:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #54
xxxxxx xxxxxx is offline
Member
 
Apr 2009
24
Default Reply

Absoulutely agree with u FREAKMAN. Also not to ferget Katrina Kaif has done fantastic job in the item song. She must have worked hard to perform this song. The quality of Agneepath should be like Om Shanti Om. I am eagerly waiting for Dabang 2, Ek Tha Tiger, Talaash and Dhoom 3. Lets hope for the best.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #55
ravenus ravenus is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ravenus's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
India
390
201
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakMan View Post
ya man your right just its just annoying to seeing in every thread that almost every release bollywood has on blu-ray sucks because only the "shitty" movies get released.

Im born and raised in america and am as american as they come and love hollywood films But i like bollywood films better, i have like like 6 of the stereotypical american guys and girls who started watching bollywood movie who enjoy them more than most of the hollywood movies these days, but indians who have come from india act like they have such high taste in cinema and how bollywood actors sucks. lol they at like they are masters of cinema yet they praise the shittiest hollywood movies. To them its a crime when a film like ra.one is a blockbuster but it makes sense when transformers or twilight is a blockbuster.
There are 3 people on this forum I'm aware of who're not part of the rah-rah Bollywood brigade - Anibap, Sanjay and me. I don't think any of us match up to this lovely stereotype* you've constructed out of your own prejudices about the people that didn't like the movies you happen to like. As far as I'm concerned, so long as an opinion made is genuine, and not expressed simply to be part of one herd or the other, it's fine. Like someone else said, if 2 people out of 10 in a forum express a different opinion that's hardly a reason for the others to feel insecure about. As far as you're concerned, you're getting to see the movies and blu-rays you want. Just consider it a case of "sour grapes" on the other's part and move on.

*I did once meet a person of that type: an old Parsi woman who stood in front of me at a movie ticket queue. She was remarking to me about how she only saw English films because Hindi films were so horrible. The movie she wanted tickets for: Ace Ventura 2.

Last edited by ravenus; 02-23-2012 at 11:18 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #56
anibap anibap is offline
Special Member
 
anibap's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
London, UK
30
128
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakMan View Post
Im born and raised in america and am as american as they come and love hollywood films But i like bollywood films better, i have like like 6 of the stereotypical american guys and girls who started watching bollywood movie who enjoy them more than most of the hollywood movies these days, but indians who have come from india act like they have such high taste in cinema and how bollywood actors sucks . lol they at like they are masters of cinema yet they praise the shittiest hollywood movies. To them its a crime when a film like ra.one is a blockbuster but it makes sense when transformers or twilight is a blockbuster.
I was about to respond to your part in bold since it is quite uncalled for but you have spared me the attempt with the rest of your post. I'd rather have an argument with my 2 year old daughter over a chocolate she wants.

Transformers and Twilight ? huh...they are perhaps blockbusters but good films? LOL... Ra.One can be easily placed beside those two so I don't see your point.

There is no need to panic if anyone is having a different opinion about something you like. You have the right to what you like, let others be on their own and let's respect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
As far as I'm concerned, so long as an opinion made is genuine, and not expressed simply to be part of one herd or the other, it's fine. Like someone else said, if 2 people out of 10 in a forum express a different opinion that's hardly a reason for the others to feel insecure about. As far as you're concerned, you're getting to see the movies and blu-rays you want. Just consider it a case of "sour grapes" on the other's part and move on.
Very well said, I actually find it quite funny when I see people freaking out for no reason . This is not a religious site to praise everything about something or an online school to teach people what they should like and dislike...it is a forum to share opinions.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Asus A53E Blu Ray i7 Notebook | Sony BDP S350 | Infocus IN82 Full HD DC3 DLP | Onkyo TX-SR 607 | Q Acoustics 1010i, 1000Ci, 1000Si
My Theater Gallery
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #57
scorpion83 scorpion83 is offline
Special Member
 
scorpion83's Avatar
 
May 2009
In my own world !
8
578
14
153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakMan View Post
ya man your right just its just annoying to seeing in every thread that almost every release bollywood has on blu-ray sucks because only the "shitty" movies get released.

Im born and raised in america and am as american as they come and love hollywood films But i like bollywood films better, i have like like 6 of the stereotypical american guys and girls who started watching bollywood movie who enjoy them more than most of the hollywood movies these days, but indians who have come from india act like they have such high taste in cinema and how bollywood actors sucks. lol they at like they are masters of cinema yet they praise the shittiest hollywood movies. To them its a crime when a film like ra.one is a blockbuster but it makes sense when transformers or twilight is a blockbuster.
Why do you even care about what other people think about a movie you loved ?

Secondly, your argument and reasoning sucks. Period.

Just a FYI, I liked Agneepath becasue I love Sanjay and Hritik.Was able to enjoy Ra-One the same way I have enjoyd the Transformers franchise. Infact Bay is one of my fav directors as I have enjoyed all of his cheesy movies same way as I did anything made by the Coens. Both are entertaining in their own way for me. Now, should I go and argue with everyone who thinks that Bay is one of the worst directors to walk the earth ? No ... absolutely not. Why would I ? I would be going against half the world !!! lol

Bottomline: Everyone is entitled for their opinion and peoples taste differs. Accept it and move on, rather than
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #58
divyansh divyansh is offline
Power Member
 
divyansh's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
India
57
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anibap View Post
I was about to respond to your part in bold since it is quite uncalled for but you have spared me the attempt with the rest of your post. I'd rather have an argument with my 2 year old daughter over a chocolate she wants.

Transformers and Twilight ? huh...they are perhaps blockbusters but good films? LOL... Ra.One can be easily placed beside those two so I don't see your point.

There is no need to panic if anyone is having a different opinion about something you like. You have the right to what you like, let others be on their own and let's respect that.



Very well said, I actually find it quite funny when I see people freaking out for no reason . This is not a religious site to praise everything about something or an online school to teach people what they should like and dislike...it is a forum to share opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion83 View Post
Why do you even care about what other people think about a movie you loved ?

Secondly, your argument and reasoning sucks. Period.

Just a FYI, I liked Agneepath becasue I love Sanjay and Hritik.Was able to enjoy Ra-One the same way I have enjoyd the Transformers franchise. Infact Bay is one of my fav directors as I have enjoyed all of his cheesy movies same way as I did anything made by the Coens. Both are entertaining in their own way for me. Now, should I go and argue with everyone who thinks that Bay is one of the worst directors to walk the earth ? No ... absolutely not. Why would I ? I would be going against half the world !!! lol

Bottomline: Everyone is entitled for their opinion and peoples taste differs. Accept it and move on, rather than
well said. Both of you why should we care about what others think about movies we love? everyone has their own opinions and opinions differ. we can't go and argue with everyone who does'nt agree to our point. though i agree completely with your point-s but dont know if i follow it completely
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #59
sanjay0864 sanjay0864 is offline
Expert Member
 
Mar 2008
114
2
Default

What I can't understand, is why some people feel the need to make 'personal' attacks on other members. Is it really that difficult to argue one's point, without resorting to insulting and demeaning others?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #60
csrini1 csrini1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2009
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay0864 View Post
What I can't understand, is why some people feel the need to make 'personal' attacks on other members. Is it really that difficult to argue one's point, without resorting to insulting and demeaning others?
I think the problem is people start posting movie review and how good one actor is compared to another etc etc... This forum is mainly for BD related news like release dates and the review of the bd disc like audio and video quality.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:22 AM.