Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Star Wars EP1 (3D) what did you think?
Good 77 44.51%
Bad 35 20.23%
I don't care for 3D.. 65 37.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #41
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
That was my vote as well. However if I had a kid I would take him or her see it so that just like his or her dad he or she could see Star Wars in theaters.
That's the only way I can see many people going to see this, I really struggle to see the point in watching a film in a format it isn't suited towards. I'd love to see Episode 4,5 and 6 on the big screen, but I've already gone to see Episode 1, 2 and 3 on the big screen the first time they came out, and actually have fond memories of watching them at the theatres, why should I go ruin them now by going now as a bitter slightly fat cynical teenager
Remaining Films of 2014 I'll check out: Horns. The Babadook. Interstellar. The Drop. The Imitation Game. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1. Horrible Bosses 2. Men, Women and Children. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. Dumb and Dumber To. Exodus: Gods and Kings. Big Eyes. Unbroken.
Best Films of the Year so far: Boyhood. Calvary. Mr. Turner. Frank. Godzilla. Nightcrawler. Gone Girl. The Rover. The Raid 2. The LEGO Movie. Under the Skin.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #42
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Northern Illinois

I've never seen a 3d movie in the theatre so, I was wondering what is the difference between real3d and just regular 3d? I haven't seen the phantom menace since it was first released on VHS so, I'm thinking about hitting this up, while it's in theatres.
Mitsubishi 57 inch DLP
Pioneer VSX 1120-K
Energy CF50
Energy CC10
Elemental Designs A2 300
Sony PS3 Slim 160 GB
Nintendo Wii
Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #43
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Ha, so now these polls aren't for blu-ray users, they are for our moms, mail man/woman, cockroaches, etc? I need to start registering more accounts.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #44
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2008
Bay Area 510!!!

I'm with the majority and dont really care for 3D, but I will go watch a non 3D showing
When i got home that evening, I went straight to the garage and practiced my draw and SHOUT techniques as well as my roll, somersault and aim drills and made myself a promise that I would never ever be caught off-guard again.-dfinch

SF GIANTS 2010-2012-2014 WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Is there an option "I don't care for 3D, but I'm being dragged to see it"?
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 02-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #46
Power Member

Oct 2007
Dunsfold

I feel chuffed that myself and cohort Shlomo get to have our cake and eat it by catching the film half-price at a Vue Cinema's Orange Wednesday next week. We don't pay full price to see the film in 3D (scrag that!) so 2 for 1 can't be bad. If it sucks then that's a mere 5 each down the tubes for a 3D film.
Samsung 3D F6800 40". PS4. 80 Gig PS3. Technika BRSS10 multi-region BD player.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #47
Special Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Balls View Post
I've never seen a 3d movie in the theatre so, I was wondering what is the difference between real3d and just regular 3d? I haven't seen the phantom menace since it was first released on VHS so, I'm thinking about hitting this up, while it's in theatres.
"Regular 3D" is not really a thing. There are a variety of formats. In fact, if anything was "regular 3D", it would be RealD (NOT Real3D as a lot of people mistakenly call it) - that's currently the most widespread and popular format.

RealD is a digital system using circular polarization. Its most direct counterpart is Technicolor 3D, which also uses circular polarization (so you can use the same glasses). The difference is that Technicolor 3D is a film-based system for theatres that can't afford to or don't want to convert to digital. Dolby 3D is a digital system that uses an interference filter and is incompatible with RealD/Technicolor glasses. Some people say there's less ghosting and more brightness with Dolby 3D than the other two, which I can't confirm or deny, having never seen it. Much rarer is XpanD 3D, which is active-shutter technology like a lot of 3DTV sets or Nvidia 3D Vision.

IMAX 3D is its own system with linear polarization, making it also incompatible with other formats. It's generally brighter than RealD, but only selected movies are presented in the format (Phantom Menace is not one of them), and the 3D effect goes away if you tilt your head too much.

If a movie's released in RealD, it's generally also in Technicolor 3D, Dolby 3D, and XpanD 3D at the locations that use the format. IMAX 3D is really the only "exclusive" one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavsterKing
I'm with the majority and dont really care for 3D, but I will go watch a non 3D showing
Not sure it's really a majority... keep in mind the 3D version's not actually in wide release until midnight. Anyone can say "I don't care for 3D" without seeing the movie, but the other two require viewing it, which won't be possible for most people for several hours at the earliest. We'll prolly see it balance out more once it's actually released.

Last edited by UFAlien; 02-09-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #48
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2008
Bay Area 510!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
Not sure it's really a majority... keep in mind the 3D version's not actually in wide release until midnight. Anyone can say "I don't care for 3D" without seeing the movie, but the other two require viewing it, which won't be possible for most people for several hours at the earliest. We'll prolly see it balance out more once it's actually released.
Very true!.. The only 3D movie i've enjoyed so far is Avatar, if its anything like that, then I will def check it out, will wait for more reviews and comments...
When i got home that evening, I went straight to the garage and practiced my draw and SHOUT techniques as well as my roll, somersault and aim drills and made myself a promise that I would never ever be caught off-guard again.-dfinch

SF GIANTS 2010-2012-2014 WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #49
Suspended

Jul 2009

This is a fantastic review!

http://www.littlewhitelies.co.uk/the...enace-3d-17895
Old 02-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #50
Power Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
I enjoyed reading that - though more details about what it's like to watch it in 3-D would have been very welcome.

Truth of the matter, I guess I already have a pretty good idea what to expect after having watched the trailer in 3-D (I found it absolutely exhilarating).

As far as popcorn movies go, the SW movies are still tops, in my book. And they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. But ultimately they're one big saga, so if you try to overlook one or two of the episodes, you won't get the full SW experience.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #51

Dec 2009
Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan1670 View Post

LOL! I'm going to the midnight show here tonight in Miami, can't wait:r/ock: I love the entire saga and some parts of The Phantom Menace are amongst my all time favorites in the entire saga. i'm expecting to be wowed all over again. Thank you George Lucas for continuing to innovate and give fresh exciting new ways to enjoy our favorite saga of all time
Old 02-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #52
Special Member

Feb 2008
Cincinnati, OH

I'm seeing it at midnight in RealD3D. I'll post my impressions after I get home
PSN ID skillzthtkillz
Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ME View Post
Agreed. It may enhance the podrace, but that was already one of the few scenes in the movie that I liked. 3D makes no difference in terms of the sh-tty performances, the cartoonish CGI, or the almost non-existent plot. It also does nothing to improve upon the debacle known as Jar Jar Binks.
Actually I think that 3D is what drew ppl into Owls of Gahoole. I saw it for the first time on 2D DVD and didn't think much of it. In fact I wanted that time back! I think the 3D pop effect (which is apprently lacking from Ep1), is what made people like Owls.

Last edited by Falaskan; 02-10-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #54
Power Member

Feb 2008
-

For those that have seen an early screening: are there any new scenes added in or is it the exact same as the BD?
I looked up the phrase 'Getting It Done' in the dictionary and it said, "See Marvel Cinematic Universe 2008-present".
Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silo5 View Post
For those that have seen an early screening: are there any new scenes added in or is it the exact same as the BD?
which in of itself is an extended version when compared to the theatrical cut.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

The added an early force choke scene between Anakin and Shimi.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

I saw the 3D trailer for this when I saw Hugo and in my opinion, it looked horrible (as did the trailer for the 3D Titanic.) Then Hugo came on the screen and looked superb! I'm no Lucas hater and I'm not even a PT hater, but I think this will tank after the first weekend when word of mouth gets out that the 3D is pretty bad.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 02-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
I saw the 3D trailer for this when I saw Hugo and in my opinion, it looked horrible (as did the trailer for the 3D Titanic.) Then Hugo came on the screen and looked superb! I'm no Lucas hater and I'm not even a PT hater, but I think this will tank after the first weekend when word of mouth gets out that the 3D is pretty bad.
the Titanic 3D trailer looks ten times better than the SW EP:1 3D trailers by a landslide.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #59
Power Member

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
Thank you. I respect you for saying that.
You're welcome! Thanks for the compliment and for the video.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #60
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010

The Pinkett Episode 1 review is now in 3D (the way it was meant to be seen)...I know what I'm watching tonight.
City Is My Church
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies