Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Old School (Blu-ray)
$5.20
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
New York City, NY
Default Princess Bride (25th Anniversary) Oct 2

The Princess Bride Blu-ray

The Princess Bride facebook page just put up a post where you can choose the artwork for the 25th anniversary Blu-ray.

http://www.facebook.com/theprincessb...69279276538060
An OT release of the Star Wars Trilogy is the "gay marriage" of home video: the dark side keeps fighting against it, saying that only a small amount of people really want it. However, in no way will it affect their love and enjoyment of their current "situation."
And the good side realizes that it will make millions of people happy and society will only benefit from it.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 06-29-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Expert Member

Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Send a message via AIM to Rhoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post

The Princess Bride Blu-ray

The Princess Bride facebook page just put up a post where you can choose the artwork for the 25th anniversary Blu-ray.

http://www.facebook.com/theprincessb...69279276538060
According to the page: Winning cover art will be announced on July 12, 2012 and the 25th Anniversary Blu-ray will be released on October 2, 2012

This is one of my all-time favorites, but the current disc looks fantastic as it is. Unless they've gone back to do an entirely new transfer, I doubt this release will be worth picking-up unless it has some killer, must-have new extras.
Peace--->Rhoq

My BD Collection

PlayStation Network ID (PS4, PS3 and Vita) / Nintendo Network ID (Wii U): RhoqSolidEnt
Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

I want both.I want the red one to be the slipcover, and I want the other to be the cover art for the case inside. That would be perfect in my opinion.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Power Member

Mar 2010

I'm not a fan of double dipping if the original has a decent transfer. Even with a better releases. I figure the way these studios re-release every few years its best to skip a few years and buy the ultimate edition down the road. Too many other great releases this Oct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I want both.I want the red one to be the slipcover, and I want the other to be the cover art for the case inside. That would be perfect in my opinion.
I was just sitting here looking at my KINO Buster Keaton The Saphead and wondering why in the world when a release has a slipcover they use the same artwork as the case. Seems like a wasted opportunity. But yeah I agree 100% with you on The Princess Bride.

Last edited by Banned User; 06-28-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

I like that red one!!!
"Does the Blu-ray version of '.......' look better than it's DVD version?"

I'm so sick of this question. 99% of Blu-rays look better than their DVD counterpart. Period.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoq View Post
According to the page: Winning cover art will be announced on July 12, 2012 and the 25th Anniversary Blu-ray will be released on October 2, 2012

This is one of my all-time favorites, but the current disc looks fantastic as it is. Unless they've gone back to do an entirely new transfer, I doubt this release will be worth picking-up unless it has some killer, must-have new extras.
It'll probably be like the Spaceballs re-release. Completely unneeded.
An OT release of the Star Wars Trilogy is the "gay marriage" of home video: the dark side keeps fighting against it, saying that only a small amount of people really want it. However, in no way will it affect their love and enjoyment of their current "situation."
And the good side realizes that it will make millions of people happy and society will only benefit from it.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Not feeling the need to re-buy this.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Quote:
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
Not feeling the need to re-buy this.
And that.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Special Member

Sep 2011
Santa Clarita, CA

I'm not double dipping, even if I did get this for $5. I like the red one best, though. Looks more like a book cover, which is better for a movie like this.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Silverlake, Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
I like this idea. Glad I didn't buy this one yet.
My Criterion Collection

Please help me acquire these Scream Factory slips (in Mint condition):
Cockneys Vs. Zombies,
Sleepaway Camp, Cat People, Vincent Price Collection Vol. 1 Slipbox, The Howling, Phantasm II, The Fog, Prince Of Darkness
Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011
Norn Iron

I loved this when I was younger but haven't picked it up on Blu-ray,I haven't seen it in ages! but I do prefer the red cover but either one is better than this...images (58).jpg
Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

based on the comments on FB, the left one appears to be the favored one.

I still like my idea above the best, but I think another compromise would be to have reversible cover art
Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Port Moody, BC

What a complete surprise that they are double dipping on this one, never saw this one coming!

After two and a half double dips on DVD I would have thought they would have milked this one dry! What's funny is that the original DVD release wasn't a bad DVD, it was anamorphic with a DD 5.1 mix and decent extras.

Unless I find it dirt cheap I'll be passing on this one.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

The movie is fun, but the book is quite a bit funnier.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Power Member

Aug 2008
The Southland
Default Official Specs

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment has announced the 25th anniversary release of The Princess Bride on October 2, 2012. The specs state that the release will be presented in 1080p, 2.35:1 HD video, and include a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack (I'm guessing the final product will feature more audio and subtitle options).

Extras will start with the all new two part featurette True Love: The Princess Bride Phenomenon
Part 1: A Conversation with Rob Reiner, Cary Elwes and Robin Wright. The director and his stars reunite for this lively discussion of the film's 25th anniversary, favorite fan encounters and memories from the set, illustrated by never-before-seen dailies.
Part 2: Hear from the film's creators and cast, passionate fans, and see film tributes and parodies, as we explore why the movie became a phenomenon. Interviewees include Rob Reiner, Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Billy Crystal, Mandy Patinkin, Christopher Guest, Chris Sarandon, writer William Goldman, executive producer Norman Lear, Rob's father Carl Reiner, and more.

Other extras will include:
Audio Commentary by Rob Reiner
Audio Commentary by William Goldman
As You Wish: The Story of The Princess Bride
Cary Elwes Video Diary
Miraculous Makeup
The Dread Pirate Roberts: Greatest Pirate of the Seven Seas
Love is Like a Storybook
The Princess Bride The Untold Tales featurette
The Art of Fencing featurette
Fairytales and Folklore featurette
Original theatrical trailer
Easter Eggs
Old 06-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #16

Oct 2008

I wonder if they do new a transfer?

I do like that red cover alot.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #17

Mar 2011
Norway

Phew! I was planning on upgrading my DVD, but luckily I discovered this thread before buying the excisting Blu-Ray. Thanks for tye info guys.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Scottsdale, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_l4488 View Post
I wonder if they do new a transfer?

I do like that red cover alot.
If they can't figure out on their own that the red one would be a great slip for the one on the left, it's a shame they're leaving it up to the public who, not surprisingly, are going to give a big win to the cover on the left.

I'm not someone who keeps track of re-releases that much and even I am amused at home many times this gets re-leased on dvd and now blu-ray.

I couldn't justify Spaceballs for a few needless extras, but with 2 daughters who love this movie as much as my wife and I, there might be no hope for me in saving the $13 or so this will cost.

And Rob Reiner is more likely to wake up with a full head of his own hair than this release will get a new transfer.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #19

Jun 2012
South Florida

I like the red one alot as well. I haven't bought the already released so I'll pick this one up when it comes out.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #20
Special Member

Jun 2011
South Hill, VA

I really want this movie on Blu. But not for an extra $10. The thing is, the previous release (just the Blu) someone on Best Buy reviewed it and said it was a badly done pan and scan transfer? Can anyone confirm what the existing version actually is? As much as I love this movie and want the best edition, I've bought it so many times already... So if the edition out now is the same as this new one minus two featurettes, I'd rather get the cheaper one
Most Anticipated Movies to Get the Blu Treatment
Salem's Lot | Zoolander | White Chicks | Drop Dead Gorgeous | It Happened One Night | Let's Scare Jessica to Death | Empire Records | The Fearless Vampire Killers | Mommie Dearest | A Life Less Ordinary | Date with an Angel | Ruthless People (BOLDED HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED!)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America